Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

China Southern Cuts Mexico City

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:25 am

First Hainan's PEK service and now China Southern's Guangzhou to Vancouver to Mexico flight.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... arch-2020/

Last flight will be on March 27. Guangzhou to Vancouver will continue to operate.

totesen

Re: China Southern Cuts Mexico City

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:20 pm

Also Aeromexico cancelled its Shangai service and Hainan via TJ is going seasonal.

I Wonder if China southern would have been able to make the route work with Fifth freedom rights, which would have been great for passengers but probably Aeromexico would have poured all of it efforts to sabotage it as they tried to to with Emirates.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/totesen

LightChop2Chop

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:32 pm

Current outbreak scare aside one would have thought that there would substantial traffic from the one of the most populous nations on earth to one of the most populous cities.

I was in MEX recently and there were ALOT of Japanese and Chinese visitors mulling around the various sites.

x1234

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:00 pm

AM cut its PVG/Shanghai route due to the TIJ stop west-bound incurring extra costs. MEX-NRT & ICN non-stop are now daily. With the B788 AM could make PEK non-stop too if they wanted. If HU was smart they'd make the flight a PEK-MEX non-stop flight.

EddieDude

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:01 pm

totesen wrote:
I Wonder if China southern would have been able to make the route work with Fifth freedom rights, which would have been great for passengers

I wonder the same thing too. I also wonder why CZ isn't moving MEX from CAN to PKX (Beijing-Daxing). I would imagine this would give them a better shot at profitability: marginally closer, also super-hub status, and Beijing has got to have more O&D demand than Guangzhou.

x1234 wrote:
With the B788 AM could make PEK non-stop too if they wanted. If HU was smart they'd make the flight a PEK-MEX non-stop flight.

I wonder if MEX-PEK or MEX-PKX could be done by AM using its 788s with a full or nearly full pax load. I seem to remember that AM's 788s are rather heavy, so perhaps not. There were many press reports about two or three years ago that AM was very close to launching PEK, but nothing happened. Launching ICN was a very smart move, though, as KE can be a really good partner.

China-Mexico was probably a difficult market for the then-incumbents. Since China-U.S. and China-YVR flights are plentiful and super cheap, consumers may have routinely found much better prices via those ports... after all, a stop was involved in any case.

Hopefully once AM receives more Dreamliners, they will return to PVG with or without a tech stop. MU and AM could definitely work together on this route and offer each other's passengers a lot of connections.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

rabader

Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:24 am

I don't remember where I read it but AM wanted to fly daily to PVG but never received slots from the Chinese government, and the three times weekly flight wasn't profitable enough

LatinPlane

Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:30 am

It is being reported that Hainan Airlines is also indefinitely canceling MEX. HU7925 was originally cancelled operating as 2x weekly PEK-TIJ-MEX for the winter season (1st quarter 2020), due to runway maintenance work at TIJ. Can someone verify if this is indeed the case?

Source: https://onemileatatime.com/chinese-airlines-mexico-city/
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

LupineChemist

Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:37 pm

Did passengers need a Canadian visa?

I would think feeding more into LAX would be better now that there is more cooperation with AA, I would imagine the vast majority of travelers between MEX and China would already have US visas.

IAHWorldflyer

Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:11 pm

Mexican nationals no longer need a visa to transit or enter Canada. It is much friendlier than the current US rules.

ryu2

Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:46 pm

Regardless of how many have US visas, getting off a plane, lining up for an hour or more, claiming bags and rechecking them isn't a good transit experience.

EddieDude

Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:56 pm

I bet one could find really cheap fares for MEX-CAN-MEX during February and March.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

LatinPlane

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:10 pm

Report of last Hainan Airlines flight landing at TIJ from PEK in Spanish. Since it coincides with the coronavirus news, the media covered what would be an unworthy piece of event for the general public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-WCLQD9avM

LatinPlane

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:58 pm

Here's a more succinct report and views of the landing. The report is of the Mexican authorities and physicians checking everyone on the flight as they cleared customs for possible signs of people with symptoms of the virus. Some passengers got off at TIJ, including some crossing to San Diego, while most were traveling onward to MEX. This was Hainan's last flight to Mexico with 168 people including crew. We yet have to hear if the flight has officially been discontinued or will be relaunched once the runway work at TIJ is complete. Rather interesting set of events that unfolded to cover the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rZyqosc1xs

Thunderbolt500

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:45 am

LightChop2Chop wrote:
Current outbreak scare aside one would have thought that there would substantial traffic from the one of the most populous nations on earth to one of the most populous cities.

I was in MEX recently and there were ALOT of Japanese and Chinese visitors mulling around the various sites.

Why to crowded in this area

Thunderbolt500

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:46 am

LightChop2Chop wrote:

Why to crowded in this area

LatinPlane

Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:42 pm

Confirmed that Hainan Airlines drops Mexico completely. The airline will not be resuming service after May as originally planned. On the other hand, AM has indicated they won't return to PVG until they get better slots and frequency options. In the meantime they will focus on increased service to Europe.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/288418/hainan-airlines-closes-mexico-reservations-from-mid-may-2020/?highlight=tijuana

AM764

Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:32 pm

It's a shame but MEX went from up to 3 flights per day to China to none. Offer to Asia will now just consist of two daily flights to NRT (one AM and one NH) and one daily to ICN (AM).

adriaticus

Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:37 pm

Haven't been in the forum for the longest time, and missed this. What prompted AM to cut PVG? Fleet shortcomings? Low profitability? Politics?
A.nutters' insights will be appreciated.
A300/18/19/20/21/30/32/88 An24 ATR42/72 B721/2 B732/3/G/8/MAX B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 B788/9 Concorde DC8/9/10 E45/70/75/90/95 IL62/86 MD10-30/11 SA340/2000 TU134/154

IrishAyes

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:30 pm

adriaticus wrote:
Haven't been in the forum for the longest time, and missed this. What prompted AM to cut PVG? Fleet shortcomings? Low profitability? Politics?
A.nutters' insights will be appreciated.

AM announced it in 1H 2019. It was spun a consequence to EK launching MEX via BCN but my hunch is that it simply wasn't economically viable any longer. Especially given what has happened in the aftermath with China (trade spats, now coronavirus), which remains a giant mess that I'm sure AM is thankful to have avoided.

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/transpo ... ity-flight

Thenoflyzone

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:40 am

Ishrion wrote:
First Hainan's PEK service and now China Southern's Guangzhou to Vancouver to Mexico flight.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... arch-2020/

Last flight will be on March 27. Guangzhou to Vancouver will continue to operate.

MU cancelled CAN-YVR-MEX earlier this week.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... n%20Mexico
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos