Ishrion
Topic Author

AA Reports Q4 2019/Full Year Earnings

Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:38 pm

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx

- Fourth-quarter 2019 earnings were $0.95 per diluted share. Excluding net special items1, earnings were $1.15 per diluted share, up 19% year over year.
- Full-year 2019 earnings were $3.79 per diluted share. Excluding net special items2, earnings were $4.90 per diluted share, up 8% year over year.
- Accrued $213 million for the company’s profit-sharing program in 2019, including $74 million in the fourth quarter.
- Returned $1.3 billion to shareholders in the form of dividends and share repurchases in 2019.

JammyBritton27

Re: AA Reports Q4 2019/Full Year Earnings

Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:45 pm

AA Q4 earnings rise 19%, tops Street view. Strong quarter for AA!
https://news.alphastreet.com/american-a ... reet-view/

Varsity1

Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:54 pm

I wonder how much is Boeing compensation
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

GSPSPOT

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:24 pm

I just hope this translates into a more reliable and CONSISTENT product/experience for passengers.
Great Lakes, great life.

scbriml

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:34 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

Have they agreed compensation with Boeing?

If they have, then probably nothing. Based on WN's report, their compensation will be taken as reduced prices on MAXes, I'd be surprised if AA's wasn't the same.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

bigb

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:40 pm

scbriml wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

If they have, then probably nothing. Based on WN's report, their compensation will be taken as reduced prices on MAXes, I'd be surprised if AA's wasn't the same.

They have agreed on compensation (will be receiving cash) however the amount hasn’t be commented on yet.

TWFlyGuy

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:43 pm

bigb wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

They have agreed on compensation (will be receiving cash) however the amount hasn’t be commented on yet.

Likely isn't final on the amount given continued grounding and uncertain return. They've probably agreed on a formula...

Murdoughnut

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:44 pm

Analyst asked why Boeing settlement wasn't being dispersed to share holders, rather than employees, as expected.

Detroit313

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:44 pm

Good numbers!

scbriml

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:48 pm

bigb wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Yes, I subsequently found they'd agreed compensation with Boeing (reported on 6th Jan), but I've seen nothing that says it will take the form of cash.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

scbriml

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:49 pm

Murdoughnut wrote:
Analyst asked why Boeing settlement wasn't being dispersed to share holders, rather than employees, as expected.

Possibly same as WN, only part of it went to employees.

FRNT787

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:51 pm

scbriml wrote:
bigb wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Yes, I subsequently found they'd agreed compensation with Boeing (reported on 6th Jan), but I've seen nothing that says it will take the form of cash.

The only cash quote existing is that they would be placing $30 million in company profit sharing as a result of the compensation agreement and the rest was confidential. As you suggest, I agree that most of the compensation will be in the form of reduced payment costs on the MAX (still 76 to be delivered) or potentially 787s.

bigb

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:51 pm

scbriml wrote:
bigb wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Between reading between the lines and what was put out to employees. It’s going to be a cash and I am sure based on some type of formula depending on how long the Max is OOS.

scbriml

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:01 pm

FRNT787 wrote:
The only cash quote existing is that they would be placing $30 million in company profit sharing as a result of the compensation agreement and the rest was confidential. As you suggest, I agree that most of the compensation will be in the form of reduced payment costs on the MAX (still 76 to be delivered) or potentially 787s.

That would mirror exactly what happened at WN.

Except for the 787 part. :o :D

musman9853

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:01 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:
I just hope this translates into a more reliable and CONSISTENT product/experience for passengers.

i'll agree with the more reliable part, but by and large AA's hard and soft product is consistently good across the board.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

MAH4546

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:02 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:

The product is already consistently terrible, so AA has that down.
a.

x1234

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:03 pm

So I noticed on the AA country pages on aa.com they added Singapore. Is this an indication of future service to SIN? Or is it just trying to capture the market with JL/CX code-shares?

Ishrion
Topic Author

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:21 pm

x1234 wrote:
So I noticed on the AA country pages on aa.com they added Singapore. Is this an indication of future service to SIN? Or is it just trying to capture the market with JL/CX code-shares?

Any airport code served by a partner airline is available. VIE, HAN, XMN, HEL, anything.

Sightseer

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:22 pm

x1234 wrote:

Given the hard times HKG has fallen on, perhaps a HKG-SIN tag is in the works? That's the only way I could see them serving SIN on their own metal with their current fleet, although it would require retiming their current flights (and using an extra plane) since there isn't presently enough ground time in HKG to fit a tag in. More likely, it's for service operated by JL and/or CX.

codc10

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:23 pm

x1234 wrote:

AA doesn't have an airplane to economically serve SIN nonstop from a gateway. AA's 789s are configured more densely than UA's (therefore heavier) and UA couldn't make them work on LAX-SIN, the only viable mainland point of origin for AA. A HKG-SIN tag is a possibility, but I don't see it with CX and a metal-neutral JV over Tokyo, which is an equally-logical transfer point to SIN.

I think SIN is covered in the AA/JL joint venture, and SIN does very well right now given the uncertainties in HKG. AA/JL no doubt want to leverage AA's US point of sale strength to compete with UA and SQ for lucrative SIN traffic.

kiowa

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:26 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

Your experiences evidently differ from mine. I find American fairly reliable with a good product. They are my second favorite carrier.

MIflyer12

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:26 pm

musman9853 wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

i'll agree with the more reliable part, but by and large AA's hard and soft product is consistently good across the board.

Umm, no. It's not consistent (Oasis vs. 160-seat seating 738s; AVOD or not, AC/USB power or not) and it's not good. Check the DOT-reported metrics. AA is just downright poor. The WSJ from just last week:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-best-a ... 1579097301

At the bottom of the rankings? American, for the third year in the past five.

ozark1

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:29 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

The product is not consistently terrible. The 777-300 has an excellent F and B/C. The aircraft where Doug has yet to stupidly yank IFE are nice, especially the AA 321s. I have not flown on the 321T transcontinental but they are all in the process of refurbishment. So the word “consistent “ is what I am refuting

DL747400

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:37 pm

These results are "fair" but not what should be considered "good."

AA's costs are too high. They are overstaffed and less productive than many of their peers. Of course the impact from the ongoing 737 MAX grounding needs to be considered, but AA brought in nearly $46 billion USD in total revenue in 2019, so they should be capable of generating more than $3 billion USD in annual profits. Still a great deal of work left to do.
Last edited by DL747400 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

musman9853

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:47 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

Umm, no. It's not consistent (Oasis vs. 160-seat seating 738s; AVOD or not, AC/USB power or not) and it's not good. Check the DOT-reported metrics. AA is just downright poor. The WSJ from just last week:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-best-a ... 1579097301

At the bottom of the rankings? American, for the third year in the past five.

youre right about mx but once everything gets oasified and the 767s finally are retired it'll be a very good consistent product across all nbs.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

alasizon

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:02 pm

These numbers I think are a bit better than we all expected. Sure, not DL level but it certainly looks like AA kept pace with UA's rising revenue.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

SQ22

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:27 pm

Please stay on topic or this thread will be locked. Feel free to discuss IFE options, pros and cons in a separate thread. Thanks.

apodino

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:48 pm

Not a terrible quarter or year, but YOY earnings were pretty flat, and in addition to that you have the MAX situation and the Mechanics contract still outstanding. There are some positives that I took from today that should provide the bulls some peace. The company is paying down its debt, and with the merger craziness mostly in the rearview mirror, the merger charges will largely be a thing of the past so that will help with cash flow. Also the CAPEX spending will be reduced as well since the new HQ is mostly up and running now, so that will also help cash flow. Also, the company seems to have the operational issues figured out and when you operate well, it helps every other part of the business. These should help the company financially big time going forward.

Some question marks though include the Mechanics Contract, the MAX situation, the China Situation with the outbreak, and overall employee morale at the company. If the contract can get resolved, and the company can improve Morale throughout the company, AA is in a really good position to do good things. If Parker stumbles again though, he may not survive this year. We shall see what happens going forward.

usairways787

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:28 pm

apodino wrote:
Not a terrible quarter or year, but YOY earnings were pretty flat, and in addition to that you have the MAX situation and the Mechanics contract still outstanding. There are some positives that I took from today that should provide the bulls some peace. The company is paying down its debt, and with the merger craziness mostly in the rearview mirror, the merger charges will largely be a thing of the past so that will help with cash flow. Also the CAPEX spending will be reduced as well since the new HQ is mostly up and running now, so that will also help cash flow. Also, the company seems to have the operational issues figured out and when you operate well, it helps every other part of the business. These should help the company financially big time going forward.

Some question marks though include the Mechanics Contract, the MAX situation, the China Situation with the outbreak, and overall employee morale at the company. If the contract can get resolved, and the company can improve Morale throughout the company, AA is in a really good position to do good things. If Parker stumbles again though, he may not survive this year. We shall see what happens going forward.

I can assure you morale is at an all time low, and the 1.4% profit sharing was not well received amongst the ranks. While our quarters is solid, the operation is actually not running as smoothly as some are lead to believe.

N505fx

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:41 pm

kiowa wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

Your experiences evidently differ from mine. I find American fairly reliable with a good product. They are my second favorite carrier.

I agree - catering can be hit or miss...but show me a US carrier that is excellent...and no, I've had bad and good catering on DL also. I find their Business Class and PE hardware as good as the other 2 airlines and I like that they utilize their widebody A/C during the day on hub to hub. They just need to get some of their policies a little more customer friendly and uniformity of the onboard experiences is coming soon...

N62NA

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:44 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

Not at all true.

I've had nothing but excellent flights with AA for years. The last "disappointment" with AA was shortly after the merger when they downgraded the food in the front cabin. But over time it's come back and is generally good/very good these days.

Never had any issues with AA employees - on the ground and on board.

Maybe it's just me. I do make a point of smiling and saying a friendly hello to the employees I encounter.

Or maybe the routes I fly get the "best" employees? MIA-LAX/DFW/ORD/PHL/JFK/MAD/DTW/LHR/SFO

American 767

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:04 pm

N62NA wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

Not at all true.

I've had nothing but excellent flights with AA for years. The last "disappointment" with AA was shortly after the merger when they downgraded the food in the front cabin. But over time it's come back and is generally good/very good these days.

Maybe it's just me. I do make a point of smiling and saying a friendly hello to the employees I encounter.

Or maybe the routes I fly get the "best" employees? MIA-LAX/DFW/ORD/PHL/JFK/MAD/DTW/LHR/SFO

I hear you.

Me neither I never had any issue with any AA employee on the ground or in the air. I was always satisfied with the service provided. I recently flew JFK-MIA roundtrip and the flights were perfect, on-time departure, clean airplanes, on-time arrival...everything went seamlessly well.
Ben Soriano

BGS91762

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:31 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

I fly almost every other week on AA and have never had a problem with their service.

fanoftristars

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:40 pm

Anecdotal evidence isn't evidence. The numbers tell the real story, both their Q4 results and the numbers from the WSJ.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

afcjets

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:53 pm

ozark1 wrote:
I have not flown on the 321T transcontinental but they are all in the process of refurbishment.

Really? Are any finished yet? What is different?

AA321T

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:03 pm

afcjets wrote:
ozark1 wrote:
I have not flown on the 321T transcontinental but they are all in the process of refurbishment.

Same interior. Just deep cleaning and replacing or repairing worn areas. A couple are already done and look nearly brand new.

afcjets

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:33 pm

AA321T wrote:
Same interior. Just deep cleaning and replacing or repairing worn areas. A couple are already done and look nearly brand new.

What a waste. Delta is going to have suites in these transcon markets soon.

LCDFlight

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:47 pm

afcjets wrote:
AA321T wrote:

It is a waste to clean their airplanes?!

tlecam

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:53 pm

I think it was a fair to good quarter and year. They did miss analyst expectations slightly, but I don't think that is a huge deal. I do not follow AA as closely as others, so I am curious what TPHuang and others thing. One thing that jumps out at me is that they seemed to have widespread QoQ and YoY declines in yield. I would have thought the opposite given the reduction in fleet due to the MAX issues.

Congrats to all of the AA employees who read/post here. As a member of the flying public, I appreciate your hard work.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

N505fx

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:25 am

afcjets wrote:
AA321T wrote:

Meh - the suites are narrow and not all that - the T's are the last true 3 class product out there - resisting the gross trend Delta (NW) and Continental started decades ago.

Sydscott

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:38 am

Interesting slides on the fleet in the Investor Relations Update.

Expect to take delivery of 53 mainline aircraft being 18 A321 NEO, 12 788, 1 A319 and 22 Max's assuming they get back in the air. 31 retirements being 11 763 and 20 E-190. So net 22 a/c increase in the mainline fleet assuming MAX's are there, net Zero without but upgauge in capacity.

Net increase of 12 a/c and gauge in the regional fleet as well for 2020 with 32 deliveries and 20 retirements. (CRJ-900 & 700, E-170's replacing CRJ-200s and EMB-140's) So increase of 12 a/c and decent upgauge in capacity for the replacements as well.

So some pretty significant capacity expansion planned in.

tphuang

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:15 am

Never had an issue with AA other than my dislike of 737 seat width. I think a lot of the attacks on AA product is overblown.

Would love to see A321T get refreshed. I think it could use some enhancement as we enter a new generation of lie flat seating on narrowbody aircraft.

That's a lot of aircraft coming in next year.

alfa164

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:45 am

AA321T wrote:
afcjets wrote:
ozark1 wrote:

Only among A.net fanboys would "deep cleaning and replacing or repairing worn areas" be considered "refurbishment".

For most of us, that would be called an "everyday job"...

:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Cointrin330

Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:48 am

American 767 wrote:
N62NA wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Not at all true.

I hear you.

Me neither I never had any issue with any AA employee on the ground or in the air. I was always satisfied with the service provided. I recently flew JFK-MIA roundtrip and the flights were perfect, on-time departure, clean airplanes, on-time arrival...everything went seamlessly well.

Agreed. Have flown AA extensively and almost exclusively in the last 2 years and all but one flight was on time. The one delayed flight departed JFK for SFO 30 minutes late and arrived 9 minutes early. Service on all was fine. Nothing was bad. People here won't be satisfied unless AA rivals DL and UA in NYC.

kitplane01

Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:57 am

DL747400 wrote:
These results are "fair" but not what should be considered "good."

AA's costs are too high. They are overstaffed and less productive than many of their peers. Of course the impact from the ongoing 737 MAX grounding needs to be considered, but AA brought in nearly $46 billion USD in total revenue in 2019, so they should be capable of generating more than $3 billion USD in annual profits. Still a great deal of work left to do.

I'm interested. Do you have any numbers to describe this?

afcjets

Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:39 am

alfa164 wrote:
AA321T wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Only among A.net fanboys would "deep cleaning and replacing or repairing worn areas" be considered "refurbishment".

For most of us, that would be called an "everyday job"...

:roll:

Exactly, that's why I didn't even comprehend his follow up answer. I am all for cleaning planes and repairing broken seats. I haven't flown Delta's latest J product. The suites look way better on YouTube. Both DL and AA regular J (or F 32T seats) are shaped like an ironing board. A coffin would be an upgrade. I long for the Luxury Liner Flagship interiors of thick WIDE leather and lambswool seats (and my waist is only 30-31.) Lying completely flat like a can of anchovies separated by a useless table (foot cover) is not a novelty IMO. I agree with the poster who dislikes the AA 738 F seats too. I also see no benefit to having a slim F seat with a big useless gaping hole between the seats where you are forced to stare at the profile of the people in front of you (unlike coach). Unless you want to reach through and swipe their appetizer or iPad, which I would never do. The newer 737s are not more narrow, the seats shouldn't be either. Especially since it yields American exactly zero net seats.

n7371f

Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:48 am

GSPSPOT wrote:

Never will under Dougie. With consolidation, there's no motivation for AA to make their product better than bare minimum. Where are the passengers going to go?

n7371f

Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:51 am

You really want fun? Fly on an ex HP 320. Let me know what you think of those interiors and (no) amenities.

Detroit313

Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:24 am

n7371f wrote:
You really want fun? Fly on an ex HP 320. Let me know what you think of those interiors and (no) amenities.

Actually all the America West 320s have been getting power ports and USB ports at every seat. Soon they'll be done with all of them.

paulsaz

Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:48 am

At least the new cookie is much better.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos