Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alasizon

Re: AA Reports Q4 2019/Full Year Earnings

Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:54 am

Detroit313 wrote:
n7371f wrote:
You really want fun? Fly on an ex HP 320. Let me know what you think of those interiors and (no) amenities.

Actually all the America West 320s have been getting power ports and USB ports at every seat. Soon they'll be done with all of them.

320s also weren't Oasified and legroom is still quite nice. I personally prefer the LUS/LHP 320s and 321s over the rest of the fleet, simply for the comfort of the seats.

DL747400 wrote:
These results are "fair" but not what should be considered "good."

AA's costs are too high. They are overstaffed and less productive than many of their peers. Of course the impact from the ongoing 737 MAX grounding needs to be considered, but AA brought in nearly $46 billion USD in total revenue in 2019, so they should be capable of generating more than $3 billion USD in annual profits. Still a great deal of work left to do.

I don't know that you can say AA as a whole is overstaffed, more so there is excess staffing in certain area that there doesn't need to be. Just because AA has more staff than both UA and DL doesn't mean they are overstaffed as AA has a much higher portion of work in house in certain forward facing areas.

If AA leveraged all that in-house staff better, that would certainly help close the gap. Not to mention having a motivated workforce with good morale...
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

PANAMsterdam

Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:03 am

paulsaz wrote:
At least the new cookie is much better.

Well you have to accept them anyway before you can book a flight with them, so it better be a good one :lol:
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.

ryby92

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:44 pm

alasizon wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
n7371f wrote:
You really want fun? Fly on an ex HP 320. Let me know what you think of those interiors and (no) amenities.

Actually all the America West 320s have been getting power ports and USB ports at every seat. Soon they'll be done with all of them.

320s also weren't Oasified and legroom is still quite nice. I personally prefer the LUS/LHP 320s and 321s over the rest of the fleet, simply for the comfort of the seats.

DL747400 wrote:

AA's costs are too high. They are overstaffed and less productive than many of their peers. Of course the impact from the ongoing 737 MAX grounding needs to be considered, but AA brought in nearly $46 billion USD in total revenue in 2019, so they should be capable of generating more than $3 billion USD in annual profits. Still a great deal of work left to do.

I don't know that you can say AA as a whole is overstaffed, more so there is excess staffing in certain area that there doesn't need to be. Just because AA has more staff than both UA and DL doesn't mean they are overstaffed as AA has a much higher portion of work in house in certain forward facing areas.

If AA leveraged all that in-house staff better, that would certainly help close the gap. Not to mention having a motivated workforce with good morale...

This is a very valid point that most overlook. And the in housing of work is not only limited to maintenance as most would readily think of but also above the wing at many of the spokes.

In the Caribbean for example AA have their own check in, security and gate agents at most destinations. I am sure this is also true in Latin America. on the other hand the other airlines tend to appoint a handling agent to cover such functions.

dstblj52

Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:44 pm

ryby92 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

DL747400 wrote:

This is a very valid point that most overlook. And the in housing of work is not only limited to maintenance as most would readily think of but also above the wing at many of the spokes.

In the Caribbean for example AA have their own check in, security and gate agents at most destinations. I am sure this is also true in Latin America. on the other hand the other airlines tend to appoint a handling agent to cover such functions.

Aren't most of those piedmont/envoy people not people who actually work for AA.

alasizon

Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:12 am

dstblj52 wrote:
ryby92 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Nope, most of the Carribean and Latin America are AA's own employees. Piedmont has no international stations and I think Envoy has one or two in PR and that's it.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

dstblj52

Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:17 am

alasizon wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:
ryby92 wrote:

Nope, most of the Carribean and Latin America are AA's own employees. Piedmont has no international stations and I think Envoy has one or two in PR and that's it.

Wow, that's not optimal especially on mostly low yielding trips. I can't imagine the US unions control that shouldn't that be an easy cost to cut.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos