Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
PeteKMCFC
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:25 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:08 pm

VV wrote:
PeteKMCFC wrote:
VV wrote:

That's a good question.

It is also not very productive to take-off in the afternoon because they need to come back when you still have daylight. That's the life of first flight. There are many constraints.

They need to fly several hours to make the flight productive. If they can explore the flight envelope as much as possible, it would be better than just to have one short first flight.

A lot of people like flight engineers or those in the telemetry room would not be available during the weekend.
I guess they will try again next week.


Thank you VV.

That makes a lot of sense. As has been previously said, there's no rush and it will happen. We are just eager as AvGeeks and want to see her fly!

Before too long the 779 will be commonplace, but it's important to recognise a new step in commercial aviation development (which is why we're all so excited of course).

I personally can't wait to see one of these beasts folding her wings at MAN in the future! :bored: :bouncy:


Some people here say that Boeing might try again tomorrow (Saturday).

I hope there are enough people to support it.

Unless it was already planned as the plan B, it could be difficult to gather all the required people.

This said, if they work on Saturday or Sunday they may have some overtime $$$.


Absolutely. Of course, nothing will be rushed. Boeing will ensure all is perfect before sending this beauty into the skies.

I personally, cannot wait!

Have a great weekend all
 
by738
Posts: 3116
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:08 pm

its all about 'safety' dontcha know
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:08 pm

cschleic wrote:
Everyone questioning if Boeing checked the weather forecasts must not live in the pacific northwest.

That's what usually happens when kids post from parents basement.

AleksW wrote:
I think Boeing management needs to learn what is Metar and TAF and then think about PR stuff

Man, you should educate yourself on weather conditions in different regions of the world before posting.
it's just... sad lol
Last edited by PixelPilot on Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
CaptSkibi
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 7:15 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:14 pm

The winds were favoring RWY 16R, but Boeing first flight rules require a takeoff on RWY 34R. There was too much of a tailwind component. The first flight has been postponed to another day. My guess is that a departure to the north puts the aircraft over less populated areas.
Private Pilot, Airplane Single Engine Land / former frequent flyer with 9 straight years being elite on NW/DL
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 682
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:23 pm

To put it mildly, Boeing is likely to be extremely risk conscious as to the success and smoothness of this particular test flight, at this particular time in its long history.
 
Opus99
Posts: 1157
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:27 pm

Tomorrow, same time, same place. We go again! Rain is not the issue, it’s the wind. Tomorrow has the wind at 7 knots and gusts at about 9 knots around 10am. So fingers crossed. It was nice to see some positivity around Boeing.
 
BEG2IAH
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:42 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:30 pm

While waiting I made 3 (panic) bathroom breaks and people looked at me like a complete weirdo as I was really in a hurry each time. I really didn't want to miss the take off. I even watched the video feed during a team lunch meeting... :)

I didn't find the wait boring at all with all the ATC calls, occasional aircraft engine sounds, and all the suspense. It was awesome.

I have to admit 777X looks gorgeous! Ready for another shot at it tomorrow.
Flying at the cruising altitude is (mostly) boring. I wish all flights were nothing but endless take offs and landings every 10 minutes or so.
 
miegapele
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:24 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:32 pm

Lost opportunity by Boeing. Shuold have pulled another mind trick on FAA and departed downwind.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 5092
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:36 pm

uta999 wrote:
Some useful background to today's first flight from the Seattle Times.

Lifted by unique wings and massive engines, Boeing 777X scheduled to finally take flight Friday morning.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... y-morning/

the engines on the 777X are less powerful than the 777-300ER because the wing is so much more efficient. It would have been nice had United waited for the 777X but they got such a good deal on the 777-300ER's that it made sense to buy them rather than wait for the 778X or the 779X.
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 27310
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:40 pm

CaptSkibi wrote:
The winds were favoring RWY 16R, but Boeing first flight rules require a takeoff on RWY 34R. There was too much of a tailwind component. The first flight has been postponed to another day. My guess is that a departure to the north puts the aircraft over less populated areas.


This is correct. A 34L departure puts the plane over a forested conservation area and then Possession Sound. There is an unbroken path of undeveloped land from the end of the runway all the way to the water.


LCDFlight wrote:
To put it mildly, Boeing is likely to be extremely risk conscious as to the success and smoothness of this particular test flight, at this particular time in its long history.


As opposed to all the other first flights where they just sent the bird up regardless of conditions. :biggrin:

I kid, of course, and do not intend to call you out, specifically, but it is...annoying...to see some of the Usual Suspects take pot-shots at Boeing just because they can now due to the MAX debacle when this was standard practice for the 737 MAX, the 747-8, the 787, the 737NG, the 777, the 767, the... :bomb:
Last edited by Stitch on Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
dare100em
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:31 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:40 pm

BEG2IAH wrote:
While waiting I made 3 (panic) bathroom breaks and people looked at me like a complete weirdo as I was really in a hurry each time. I really didn't want to miss the take off. I even watched the video feed during a team lunch meeting... :)

I didn't find the wait boring at all with all the ATC calls, occasional aircraft engine sounds, and all the suspense. It was awesome.

I have to admit 777X looks gorgeous! Ready for another shot at it tomorrow.


That’s why where here ... at least a little crazy ... but that’s great ... isn’t it :P
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 8465
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:44 pm

Tomorrow if there is still wind over 10 knots, rather than holding short of 34, do some laps and donuts. "Entertaining the crowd is part of the business", Amelia, The Aeronauts

Boeing outsources everything, but not the production and streaming of live event. Hire some vloggers, and audio mixing is not switching frequencies on VHF/UHF radio.
Last edited by dtw2hyd on Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All posts are just opinions.
 
InThrustWeTrust
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:47 pm

À canceled flight is also à flight..
 
Checklist787
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:37 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:50 pm

PeteKMCFC wrote:
VV wrote:
PeteKMCFC wrote:

Thank you VV.

That makes a lot of sense. As has been previously said, there's no rush and it will happen. We are just eager as AvGeeks and want to see her fly!

Before too long the 779 will be commonplace, but it's important to recognise a new step in commercial aviation development (which is why we're all so excited of course).

I personally can't wait to see one of these beasts folding her wings at MAN in the future! :bored: :bouncy:


Some people here say that Boeing might try again tomorrow (Saturday).

I hope there are enough people to support it.

Unless it was already planned as the plan B, it could be difficult to gather all the required people.

This said, if they work on Saturday or Sunday they may have some overtime $$$.


Absolutely. Of course, nothing will be rushed. Boeing will ensure all is perfect before sending this beauty into the skies.

I personally, cannot wait!

Have a great weekend all


I cannot wait too!
"No limit to my poooWer!!!
Do it! "...
 
tobsw
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:51 pm

In case you need some fun... please red this:

https://twitter.com/thatjohn/status/122 ... 38304?s=20
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 682
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:56 pm

Stitch wrote:
CaptSkibi wrote:
The winds were favoring RWY 16R, but Boeing first flight rules require a takeoff on RWY 34R. There was too much of a tailwind component. The first flight has been postponed to another day. My guess is that a departure to the north puts the aircraft over less populated areas.


This is correct. A 34L departure puts the plane over a forested conservation area and then Possession Sound. There is an unbroken path of undeveloped land from the end of the runway all the way to the water.


LCDFlight wrote:
To put it mildly, Boeing is likely to be extremely risk conscious as to the success and smoothness of this particular test flight, at this particular time in its long history.


As opposed to all the other first flights where they just sent the bird up regardless of conditions. :biggrin:

I kid, of course, and do not intend to call you out, specifically, but it is...annoying...to see some of the Usual Suspects take pot-shots at Boeing just because they can now due to the MAX debacle when this was standard practice for the 737 MAX, the 747-8, the 787, the 737NG, the 777, the 767, the... :bomb:


I don't mind being called out. It is an honor to have you read my post. You are very respected. I guess I was suggesting that Boeing is re-evaluating its approach to flight safety. What was good enough in prior programs should be re-evaluated. There has been well documented rot in Boeing's safety culture. I am unmoved by suggestions it has been good enough!
 
Jet-lagged
Posts: 915
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:58 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:59 pm

It wasn’t a total disappointment. Two Dreamlifters landed, and one took off, plus a real pretty China Southern 773. And it was nice seeing the 779 tiptoe around the property. I’m sure I won’t see first flight now, but I can lay claim to seeing First Flight Attempt. :-)
 
art
Posts: 3575
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:46 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:20 pm

Boeing should never have outsourced the weather to Mother Nature!

I wish Boeing better luck in the next few days.
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:46 pm

Now that I’m thinking about it, you have to have one sad life if you complain/cry doomsday/boeing is dead all cause a delayed test flight lol.
You can tell who’s a happy person/good life just by reading the comments.

And I enjoyed the stream. It was nice to talk to people with similar interests.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 4423
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:25 am

Ironically as we look to the east, and using a flight tracker we can not only monitor, but see some SeaTac, Boeing, and Paine operations. The skies are blue, the wind is light. This after 23 days of moderate to heavy rain. We see low clouds, but can't tell if they are blocking visual flight operations.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
cschleic
Posts: 1819
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:47 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:45 am

Jet-lagged wrote:
It wasn’t a total disappointment. Two Dreamlifters landed, and one took off, plus a real pretty China Southern 773. And it was nice seeing the 779 tiptoe around the property. I’m sure I won’t see first flight now, but I can lay claim to seeing First Flight Attempt. :-)


Three Dreamlifter movements is pretty good for one day, first flight or not.
 
clipperlondon
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:43 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:17 am

PixelPilot wrote:
Now that I’m thinking about it, you have to have one sad life if you complain/cry doomsday/boeing is dead all cause a delayed test flight lol.
You can tell who’s a happy person/good life just by reading the comments.

And I enjoyed the stream. It was nice to talk to people with similar interests.

Ha Ha Ha!
 
jetmechanicdave
Head Support
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:28 am

Indeed windy and cold. I stood out there for 4 hours and it was blustery!!
Aircraft Mechanic and Airliners.net Forum Moderator
 
FlyingViking
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:16 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:45 am

Weather tomorrow at 10am pst is wind 150/8 visibility better than 6, showers in the vicinity and broken clouds at 4000 ft. That should be a go.
 
User avatar
kanban
Posts: 4021
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:17 am

I'm going to sit out in the Sequim rain shadow and watch it fly over ...
 
User avatar
CALTECH
Posts: 3428
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:21 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:41 am

Some computer stores had this on all their monitors .......

Image
You are here.
 
User avatar
BoeingVista
Posts: 2060
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:54 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:57 am

CALTECH wrote:
Some computer stores had this on all their monitors .......

Image


Thats pretty large, looks like a train plane hybrid.
BV
 
WIederling
Posts: 9439
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:41 am

[quote="flipdewaf"]This thread is/has been a really nice one so far. I, like others, spent 3 hrs watching a plane sit still much to the annoyance of my wife. I will betraying to watch the feed tomorrow but Saturdays are always more hectic.
]/quote]

Good Morning.

so nothing further happened !?

Next try is Today or Monday?
Murphy is an optimist
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3057
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:45 am

WIederling wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
This thread is/has been a really nice one so far. I, like others, spent 3 hrs watching a plane sit still much to the annoyance of my wife. I will betraying to watch the feed tomorrow but Saturdays are always more hectic.
]/quote]

Good Morning.

so nothing further happened !?

Next try is Today or Monday?


It's today at 10:00 a.m. PST, which is about 10 hours and 15 minutes from now. https://twitter.com/BoeingAirplanes/sta ... 2628959232
 
VV
Posts: 1911
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:25 am

So far the weather forecast in Seattle says the wind is relatively calm (below 10 knots) for the next twelve hours.

Perhaps they will make it today.
 
Opus99
Posts: 1157
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:30 am

Text: FM251600 15008KT P6SM -RA OVC025
Forecast period: 1600 to 1800 UTC 25 January 2020
Forecast type: FROM: standard forecast or significant change
Winds: from the SSE (150 degrees) at 9 MPH (8 knots; 4.1 m/s)
Visibility: 6 or more miles 10+ km)
Ceiling: 2500 feet AGL
Clouds: overcast cloud deck at 2500 feet AGL
Weather: -RA (light rain)
Text: FM251800 17008


everything looks okay: https://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/me ... _metars=on
 
Jetty
Posts: 1323
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:40 am

Sooner787 wrote:
Thanks to Boeing for livestreaming this first flight. after the stealth Max 10 rollout,
wasn't sure we'd get to watch this live :)

I’m still not sure if we ever get to watch it live.
 
WIederling
Posts: 9439
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:22 pm

Jetty wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:
Thanks to Boeing for livestreaming this first flight. after the stealth Max 10 rollout,
wasn't sure we'd get to watch this live :)

I’m still not sure if we ever get to watch it live.


Should I ask the Wunderland people to have a 737-MAX10 model ready for the airport?
ref: https://youtu.be/F_RKtKs88PE?t=696 ( 787, ANA )
:-))
Murphy is an optimist
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1866
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:07 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
cschleic wrote:
Everyone questioning if Boeing checked the weather forecasts must not live in the pacific northwest.

That's what usually happens when kids post from parents basement.

AleksW wrote:
I think Boeing management needs to learn what is Metar and TAF and then think about PR stuff

Man, you should educate yourself on weather conditions in different regions of the world before posting.
it's just... sad lol

PR 101: DO NOT plan a hugely broadcasted outdoors event when the weather forecast is not looking good...
It's not like they had no choice but to schedule it yesterday; they could have waited for better weather outlook.

P.S.: no need to be condescending with people you don't agree with.
 
DALMD80
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:25 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:18 pm

Did the flight happen? And if not, when is it?
The 757-200 with Rolls Royce engines in the US Airways livery is the ultimate in airliner beauty,
 
MileHFL400
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:19 pm

Will there be a live broadcast today ?
Thanks and best Regards
AA
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19293
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:22 pm

DALMD80 wrote:
Did the flight happen? And if not, when is it?


Today (25th), 10am Pacific to the best of my knowledge.

MileHFL400 wrote:
Will there be a live broadcast today ?


Should be same as yesterday.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
DALMD80
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:25 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:25 pm

Thanks.
The 757-200 with Rolls Royce engines in the US Airways livery is the ultimate in airliner beauty,
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 27310
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:04 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
PR 101: DO NOT plan a hugely broadcasted outdoors event when the weather forecast is not looking good...It's not like they had no choice but to schedule it yesterday; they could have waited for better weather outlook.


It's very possible the weather outlook did show a window of opportunity. Paine Field is in an area called the "Puget Sound Convergence Zone" where large airflows mix together, resulting in a microclimate with not-insignificant variability to the greater Puget Sound region.

Also, First Flight of the 777X is important to aviation enthusiasts like us, but to the general public? No so much. I remember when CNN carried the First Flight of the A380 live, but I do not recall them doing it for any other commercial airline program. So it's value as a general PR statement is more limited (the ones who really care are stockholders, and they only care because it means the program is that much closer to generating revenue from customer deliveries).

The most important goal for Boeing is to get the 777X into revenue service with customers. And that is the case regardless of the general condition or image of the Company. So if they felt they had a reasonable change of getting the bird into the air to continue moving towards that goal, they were going to take it.

If it was just about the PR, they would wait for a cloudless sky so everyone could snap pictures and take video of it. :biggrin:
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11163
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:14 pm

MileHFL400 wrote:
Will there be a live broadcast today ?


here is the link for the broadcast

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/777x/first-flight
Forum Moderator
 
SDL
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:36 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:22 pm

Anyone who lives in seattle that can give a weather update?
 
rj777
Posts: 1807
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 1:47 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:25 pm

When will the stream start? About an hour before takeoff?
 
WIederling
Posts: 9439
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:29 pm

rj777 wrote:
When will the stream start? About an hour before takeoff?


9:30 am local time.
ref:
https://livestream.com/accounts/3233120 ... 746/player

worked immensely better than the Boeing site for me yesterday.
Murphy is an optimist
 
Opus99
Posts: 1157
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:49 pm

Boeing saying they may start slightly earlier than 10
 
hivue
Posts: 2093
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:26 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 24 January 2020 (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:54 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
PR 101: DO NOT plan a hugely broadcasted outdoors event when the weather forecast is not looking good...
It's not like they had no choice but to schedule it yesterday; they could have waited for better weather outlook.

P.S.: no need to be condescending with people you don't agree with.


The test campaign schedule likely is very ambitious, especially since they had the big delay in FF due to the engine issue. They're smart to look for every opportunity to get things going . They'd have kicked themselves if they'd followed your advice yesterday and cancelled in the morning, and then the winds had died down for a short time while they were all sitting around having a beer.
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.
 
User avatar
CaptnSnow71
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:52 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:56 pm

New update from Boeing's twitter:

"Weather is looking good today so the #777X may fly early. We'll go live at 9:15 a.m. PST to track movement. First flights are dynamic, we could fly early or later but will keep you updated on progress."

Looks like today's the day.
 
xwb777
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:00 pm

Going live in 30 mins. Fingers crossed!
 
User avatar
mighluss
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 12:11 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:02 pm

WIederling wrote:
rj777 wrote:
When will the stream start? About an hour before takeoff?


9:30 am local time.
ref:
https://livestream.com/accounts/3233120 ... 746/player

worked immensely better than the Boeing site for me yesterday.


Here we go again! it's on line.
Miquel.
 
WIederling
Posts: 9439
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:04 pm

livestream "777 FF" has come online apparently. Showing the prototype near a gate, probe hanging slack.
now a sideview 5° out of perpendicular.
Murphy is an optimist
 
TheF15Ace
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Boeing 777-9 first flight 25 January 2020 at 10am (weather permitting)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t7L6p2Rug

In case anyone prefers a youtube live stream.

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos