airtrantpa
Topic Author

AVL has record year,Unconfirmed: new routes to be announce next week

Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:14 am

1.6 million pax at Asheville regional Airport. 7 new routes last year, and with G4's new routes announced last week, the new report on the TV states that there will be more announced next week. I wonder what they could be? I would like to see NK add more service, but they dropped TPA, FLL shortly after they started and down to just MCO, not sure if AVL will last in NKs system. Any guesses as to what the new routes could be? I would like to see CVG, MSP and DTW. LAS would be awesome but I doubt anything out west would work.

I will say, after moving up from TPA, AVL has got to be the smallest airport I have flown in and out of. Doesn't even look like an airport in my opinion but a cottage that has airline service. Hopefully they will bring a more modern look to the terminal, rather than the sleep mountain cottage that it is now.

https://wlos.com/news/local/flying-out- ... -travelers
Last edited by qf789 on Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated title for clarity
AirTran: Go there's no stopping you!
712,722,732,733,735,73G,738,739,752,753,762,763,764,772,A318,319,320,320,343,L1011,D8,M82/88/90

flown on all U.S based carriers that have existed since 1991

Delta28L

Re: AVL has record year, new routes to be announce next week

Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:39 am

Probably more seasonal allegiant service

N292UX

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:03 pm

SY to MSP is possible IMO

TYSflyer

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:56 pm

I honestly have no idea how they are functioning out of their current terminal. A new one or remodel cannot come soon enough. Does anyone know if the airport has officially announced the AA additions (ORD, daily LGA)? I really don’t see G4 doing another announcement this close to their recent huge announcement just 2 weeks ago.

TYSflyer

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:27 pm

I could see F9 announcing DEN. It was mentioned on another thread that they would have another round of announcements this winter. However, AVL does already have G4 to DEN and F9 serves both nearby TYS and GSP. Also could be UA to IAH since G4 just announced HOU.

AVLAirlineFreq

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:36 pm

Traffic was up 43% in 2019. Here's the press release from AVL with more details: https://flyavl.com/article/unprecedente ... ngers-2019

airtrantpa wrote:
1.6 million pax at Asheville regional Airport. 7 new routes last year, and with G4's new routes announced last week, the new report on the TV states that there will be more announced next week. I wonder what they could be? I would like to see NK add more service, but they dropped TPA, FLL shortly after they started and down to just MCO, not sure if AVL will last in NKs system. Any guesses as to what the new routes could be? I would like to see CVG, MSP and DTW. LAS would be awesome but I doubt anything out west would work.

I will say, after moving up from TPA, AVL has got to be the smallest airport I have flown in and out of. Doesn't even look like an airport in my opinion but a cottage that has airline service. Hopefully they will bring a more modern look to the terminal, rather than the sleep mountain cottage that it is now.

I haven't seen anything about new service to be announced next week. The WLOS television report cited above only mentions "in the next few weeks" in a non-specific way.

AVL is small, but I've flown to many, many smaller airports.

AVLAirlineFreq

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:38 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
I honestly have no idea how they are functioning out of their current terminal. A new one or remodel cannot come soon enough. Does anyone know if the airport has officially announced the AA additions (ORD, daily LGA)? I really don’t see G4 doing another announcement this close to their recent huge announcement just 2 weeks ago.

The AA additions (including summer seasonal Saturday-only to ORD and DCA) have already been announced.

An expansion and complete rebuild of the current terminal (including a new control tower) is currently in the planning and design phase.

LabQuest

Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:14 pm

All with a temporary runway too.

TYSflyer

Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:19 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
Traffic was up 43% in 2019. Here's the press release from AVL with more details: https://flyavl.com/article/unprecedente ... ngers-2019

airtrantpa wrote:

I haven't seen anything about new service to be announced next week. The WLOS television report cited above only mentions "in the next few weeks" in a non-specific way.

AVL is small, but I've flown to many, many smaller airports.

Agreed that AVL is small but there are a plethora of smaller places out there. @Airtrantpa, if you ever get a chance you should do a day trip flight to a place like MGW, CKB, or HTS. MGW, in my opinion, is the most unique of these. That will give you a new perspective for a small airport.

jplatts

Re: AVL has record year,Unconfirmed: new routes to be announce next week

Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:51 pm

airtrantpa wrote:
I would like to see NK add more service, but they dropped TPA, FLL shortly after they started and down to just MCO, not sure if AVL will last in NKs system. Any guesses as to what the new routes could be?

NK adding AVL-DFW and AVL-DTW nonstop service might be possibilities since both of these adds would primarily be targeting leisure traffic to Asheville from the Dallas/Fort Worth and Detroit markets. NK also already has a significant presence in both the DFW and DTW markets to support AVL-DFW/DTW nonstop service.

Another big difference is that G4 doesn't currently serve the DFW/DAL or DTW markets whereas most of the other possible NK adds out of AVL are to markets that already have current or already announced nonstop service out of AVL on G4.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos