Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14945
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:40 am

wjcandee wrote:
So the captain on my DL A220 flight this morning, on the PA, just welcomed us aboard "Delta's new A220 Whisperjet."


Would have been better if they said flagship Delta A220 wisperjet
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
Gevans17
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:49 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:52 am

They were whispering 'Fly Deltas Big Jets"?
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15694
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:31 am

scbriml wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Haven't heard that trademark used since my last Eastern 727 flight half a lifetime ago.


"Whisperjet" and "727" - words that don't belong together! :rotfl:


They sure did go together when the B727 was new technology in the 60s!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
DrRumack
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:20 am

DL717 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
The Eastern Whisperjet trademark may have fallen into disuse and now be open for general use. It may not - in which a Cease and Desist demand will soon be delivered to Delta, and a pilot sent for training.


Given they have to be renewed every 10 years, and you can show you’ve actually used it, there’s nothing to demand.

Anyway...

https://trademarks.justia.com/723/59/wh ... 59164.html


That's a trademark for tires, which wouldn't be a problem for an airline.

The original Eastern Airlines had a trademark registration for WHISPERJET that expired in 1987.
http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=72216 ... atusSearch

There's a company that sells helicopters that currently owns the WHISPER JET trademark. http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=22633 ... atusSearch

The helicopter company is blocking airlines from using the WHISPERJET trademark, but that wouldn't really affect a pilot's occasional use of "whisperjet" in an announcement.
 
Indy
Posts: 4930
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:55 am

afcjets wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
The Eastern Whisperjet trademark may have fallen into disuse and now be open for general use. It may not - in which a Cease and Desist demand will soon be delivered to Delta, and a pilot sent for training.



It's likely a former Eastern pilot just reminiscing. Who is going to deliver the cease and desist, you? Very few people will care or remember.


A patent and trademark troll. This is how these people make a living. They buy up useless and unused intellectual property and wait for someone else to come along with a legitimate operation so they can come along with their hand out to take a cut they never earned. If someone bought the rights to it, they are going to try and collect. It is a shame but that is how the system is abused these days.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
VV
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:23 am

The words "whisper" and "jet" sound incompatible.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14945
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:52 am

VV wrote:
The words "whisper" and "jet" sound incompatible.


Transit off a 777 flight with cabin noise is so loud you cannot whisper to anyone and then onto an A220, where it is remarkably quiet in the cabin you feel the need to keep your voice down as it’s so quiet.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
NW747-400
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 1999 4:42 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:17 am

VV wrote:
The words "whisper" and "jet" sound incompatible.


An Eastern Airlines “Whisperjet” 727 was remarkably quiet compared to a Constellation. The marketing tagline made a lot of sense in the era.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19029
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:27 am

NW747-400 wrote:
reltney wrote:
It’s a Canabus. As a Delta pilot it’s all we call it. The Canabus..... we could ....say Canabus wisperjet! Maybe Wisper Canabus... great plane and love riding in it.


I personally prefer Orcabus :D


Well, you can have a Belugabus:
Image
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3797
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:41 am

In the 90s the bae146 in New Zealand/Australia were refereed to whisper jets
.
 
FANMD11
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:48 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:03 am

Actually, you can find the CS100/A220 refered as the «whisper jet» from 2013 :

https://www.industryweek.com/supply-cha ... ing-airbus

https://www.avionslegendaires.net/2017/ ... -a-boeing/

It looks like Porter Airlines' CEO was the first to use it.
 
VV
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:19 am

zeke wrote:
VV wrote:
The words "whisper" and "jet" sound incompatible.


Transit off a 777 flight with cabin noise is so loud you cannot whisper to anyone and then onto an A220, where it is remarkably quiet in the cabin you feel the need to keep your voice down as it’s so quiet.


And to hear those children crying behind you?
 
afcjets
Posts: 3434
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:13 pm

D L X wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Who is going to deliver the cease and desist, you? Very few people will care or remember.
The owner of the trademark, if there is one. A little unfamiliar with the basics of U.S. trademark law and torts, are we? Patent and trademark trolls buy up obscure stuff all the time, just waiting for the day to sue somebody.
This is incorrect, as there isn't really a concept of a trademark troll the way there is a patent troll. You can't just buy up a trademark an assert against someone. If you do not use the trademark in commerce (as in, sell something with that as the brand), you lose the mark. So, someone can claim to have bought "whisperjet," but since they're not flying around using "whisperjet" to sell anything, the trademark is dead.

As if the owner was on the flight or a.net anyway.
 
notdownnlocked
Posts: 983
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2000 1:45 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:27 pm

I see and hear these everyday whether at work or at home. They are “Wounded Wales”. Final answer.
 
D L X
Posts: 12671
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 3:30 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:50 pm

Indy wrote:
afcjets wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
The Eastern Whisperjet trademark may have fallen into disuse and now be open for general use. It may not - in which a Cease and Desist demand will soon be delivered to Delta, and a pilot sent for training.



It's likely a former Eastern pilot just reminiscing. Who is going to deliver the cease and desist, you? Very few people will care or remember.


A patent and trademark troll. This is how these people make a living. They buy up useless and unused intellectual property and wait for someone else to come along with a legitimate operation so they can come along with their hand out to take a cut they never earned. If someone bought the rights to it, they are going to try and collect. It is a shame but that is how the system is abused these days.

Again, this is not quite true. Yes, you can buy patents and sue someone. No, you can’t buy trademarks and she someone, unless you ALSO use the trademark in commerce-I.e. sell things with that name. That’s why there isn’t really a concept of a trademark troll in the US.
 
lat41
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:23 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:01 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
afcjets wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
The Eastern Whisperjet trademark may have fallen into disuse and now be open for general use. It may not - in which a Cease and Desist demand will soon be delivered to Delta, and a pilot sent for training.



It's likely a former Eastern pilot just reminiscing. Who is going to deliver the cease and desist, you? Very few people will care or remember.


:old: long before EA came up with the 'whisperliner' gimmick, there even was a beautiful "whispering giant".... I bet even few fewer are going to remember that!

The Bristol Brittania, a beautiful, advanced, long range turboprop and indeed a very large plane for its day. Unfortunately, not many were made as the 707, DC-8 were stealing the show by the time it hit the market.
 
Capn
Posts: 262
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:33 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
The Eastern Whisperjet trademark may have fallen into disuse and now be open for general use. It may not - in which a Cease and Desist demand will soon be delivered to Delta, and "a pilot sent for training".


Sorry,no offense, but this statement made me laugh...
I have several hundred hours in simulators for training, and have never heard of a pilot being re-trained for bad P.A.s
Might be fun though.
UH-1 DEHAVILAND HERON MARTIN 404 DC-9 CHALLENGER 601 FALCON 50 & 900EX
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 8741
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:35 pm

I was looking up discussions of the whale noise, and ran across a Bloomberg article from 2018 that says that Swissair calls it the "Whisperjet".

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -residents
 
masi1157
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:56 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:42 pm

VV wrote:
And to hear those children crying behind you?

I would always prefer a flight with a continuous 70dB(A) or less with the occasional crying baby or snorring neighbour over 85dB(A) continuous background noise which would still not mask all the other sounds.

The quieter the aircraft cabin, the better for my (and your) health and well-being. But from what I heard the A220 is not particularly quiet during cruise.


Gruß, masi1157
517 different segments on 101 airlines to 212 airports in 55 countries
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 5569
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:04 pm

zeke wrote:
VV wrote:
The words "whisper" and "jet" sound incompatible.


Transit off a 777 flight with cabin noise is so loud you cannot whisper to anyone and then onto an A220, where it is remarkably quiet in the cabin you feel the need to keep your voice down as it’s so quiet.


Maybe BBD did learn something about cabin noise from building bizjets—current Globals are completed with cabin noise surveys in the mid-50 dB.

GF
 
VV
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:28 pm

Are you absolutely sure A220 is quiter than A320neo????

At least one friend told me its cabin noisy on the ground and in flight there a strong hissing sound.
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 8741
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:14 pm

I was looking up discussions of the whale noise, and ran across a Bloomberg article from 2018 that says that Airbus calls it the "Whisperjet".

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -residents
 
masi1157
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:56 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:30 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Maybe BBD did learn something about cabin noise from building bizjets—current Globals are completed with cabin noise surveys in the mid-50 dB.

There is not much to learn from bizjet cabin acoustics that you could apply to a pax aircraft. Allow me the extra weight and cost penalty and I make your B747/737/77/A320/330/350 as quiet.


Gruß, masi1157
517 different segments on 101 airlines to 212 airports in 55 countries
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 5569
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:46 pm

masi1157 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Maybe BBD did learn something about cabin noise from building bizjets—current Globals are completed with cabin noise surveys in the mid-50 dB.

There is not much to learn from bizjet cabin acoustics that you could apply to a pax aircraft. Allow me the extra weight and cost penalty and I make your B747/737/77/A320/330/350 as quiet.


Gruß, masi1157


Completion weight allowances aren’t that large that builders and buyers can add much to the sound insulation without cutting into payload or range. A lot of reduction is in details—like around windows when they are expanded under pressurization loads, how cabin airflow is distributed, mechanical services isolated.

GF
 
Georgetown
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:50 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:56 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
It may not - in which a Cease and Desist demand will soon be delivered to Delta, and a pilot sent for training.


Legit funny
Let's go Hoyas!
 
Indy
Posts: 4930
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:18 pm

D L X wrote:
Again, this is not quite true. Yes, you can buy patents and sue someone. No, you can’t buy trademarks and she someone, unless you ALSO use the trademark in commerce-I.e. sell things with that name. That’s why there isn’t really a concept of a trademark troll in the US.


Trademarks become property of the estate during bankruptcy and can be sold.

https://www.inta.org/INTABulletin/Pages ... uptcy.aspx

Someone could very well have bought the right to the name during bankruptcy. It looks like all of this is a non issue at least for Eastern as the trademark expired. This isn't even the original filing. So clearly the original one died and they tried to trademark it again and failed to follow through with the application process.

https://trademark.trademarkia.com/whisp ... 06450.html
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
User avatar
spinotter
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 1:37 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:35 pm

wjcandee wrote:
On the trademark infringement (or at least reuse) front:

So the captain on my DL A220 flight this morning, on the PA, just welcomed us aboard "Delta's new A220 Whisperjet."

Haven't heard that trademark used since my last Eastern 727 flight half a lifetime ago. Wondering if that's standard among the A220 crews, whether it's what DL is calling these things, or whether my guy was just improvising.

Beautiful day. 90 percent of my compatriots have the shades on these nice big windows pulled down. Sigh.

Anyway, thought this was interesting given the Flagship drama.


Flagship and Whisperjet. Are they registered trademarks? People putting down windows are high on my unpopularity list. We were approaching North America last week and it was almost dark but I was afraid of opening my window because of other passengers. Sad.
 
User avatar
bluefltspecial
Posts: 558
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:35 pm

stlgph wrote:
Maybe Shirley Q Liquor was on board?


Amazing, this was my first thought when I read this thread...
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 8741
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:56 pm

VV wrote:
Are you absolutely sure A220 is quiter than A320neo????

At least one friend told me its cabin noisy on the ground and in flight there a strong hissing sound.


In Row 11 (right next to the engine), it was pretty darn quiet. The hissing sound your friend heard was probably a partially-open gasper. I in fact had to reach up and open one on my last flight to negate the hissing. The rest of the plane is quiet enough that a hissing gasper is comparatively-loud. Not so on a lot of other aircraft.
 
ikramerica
Posts: 15086
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:47 am

My guess is the noise is a resonance issue between the 2 engines spinning at 2 different speeds that is not pleasant.

There have been past aircraft with this problem, with a slow “wum, wum” resonating across the fuselage during certain phases of flight.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
D L X
Posts: 12671
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 3:30 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:33 am

Indy wrote:
D L X wrote:
Again, this is not quite true. Yes, you can buy patents and sue someone. No, you can’t buy trademarks and she someone, unless you ALSO use the trademark in commerce-I.e. sell things with that name. That’s why there isn’t really a concept of a trademark troll in the US.


Trademarks become property of the estate during bankruptcy and can be sold.

https://www.inta.org/INTABulletin/Pages ... uptcy.aspx

Someone could very well have bought the right to the name during bankruptcy. It looks like all of this is a non issue at least for Eastern as the trademark expired. This isn't even the original filing. So clearly the original one died and they tried to trademark it again and failed to follow through with the application process.

https://trademark.trademarkia.com/whisp ... 06450.html


No one is denying that you can buy a trademark, but you also have to USE it, or it goes abandoned. This is in the first section of the Lanham Act. https://www.bitlaw.com/source/15usc/1051.html

So, no, you cannot buy a trademark and sue someone unless you are also using the mark, because lack of use prevents registration. That’s why the Whisperjet registration you linked to shows “abandoned.” They couldn’t show that it was being used.
 
Rossiya747
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:56 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:58 am

I remember the AirBaltic A220s were hella loud on startup
223 319 320 321 332 333 346 388 734 737 738 739 38M 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 77W 788 789 208 CRJ2 E145 E190 UA DL AA WN AC CM 4O AV 2K FI DY D8 SK LH EI FR U2 IB OS LX BA VS BT PS MS SA SW QR EY HY AI 9W TG SQ MH AK D7 QZ BR NH CA QF MI LV/IB VY AL
 
VV
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:28 am

wjcandee wrote:
VV wrote:
Are you absolutely sure A220 is quiter than A320neo????

At least one friend told me its cabin noisy on the ground and in flight there a strong hissing sound.


In Row 11 (right next to the engine), it was pretty darn quiet. The hissing sound your friend heard was probably a partially-open gasper. I in fact had to reach up and open one on my last flight to negate the hissing. The rest of the plane is quiet enough that a hissing gasper is comparatively-loud. Not so on a lot of other aircraft.


Okay, you describe a quiet aircraft.

But are you absolutely sure it is quieter than the A320neo???
 
masi1157
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:56 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:23 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Completion weight allowances aren’t that large that builders and buyers can add much to the sound insulation without cutting into payload or range. A lot of reduction is in details—like around windows when they are expanded under pressurization loads, how cabin airflow is distributed, mechanical services isolated.

You will not reach a noise level in the 50-60 dB(A) range just by improving details without adding a lot of weight and thus reducing payload. Believe me, I tried that for 35 years.


Gruß, masi1157
517 different segments on 101 airlines to 212 airports in 55 countries
 
VV
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:10 pm

wjcandee wrote:
I was looking up discussions of the whale noise, and ran across a Bloomberg article from 2018 that says that Airbus calls it the "Whisperjet".

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -residents


The article mentions the sound of "mating whales". What exactly is this sound?
 
oschkosch
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:41 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:22 pm

VV wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
VV wrote:
Are you absolutely sure A220 is quiter than A320neo????

At least one friend told me its cabin noisy on the ground and in flight there a strong hissing sound.


In Row 11 (right next to the engine), it was pretty darn quiet. The hissing sound your friend heard was probably a partially-open gasper. I in fact had to reach up and open one on my last flight to negate the hissing. The rest of the plane is quiet enough that a hissing gasper is comparatively-loud. Not so on a lot of other aircraft.


Okay, you describe a quiet aircraft.

But are you absolutely sure it is quieter than the A320neo???



I've flown a lot on A320CEO's and a few times on the A320NEO as well as the A220. The A220 is definitely quieter.
:stirthepot: :airplane: "This airplane is designed by clowns, who in turn are supervised by monkeys" :airplane: :stirthepot:
 
tax1k
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:02 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:32 pm

Wasn’t there a plane called the “whispering ghost”?
 
SteelChair
Posts: 1428
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:37 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:50 pm

VV wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
I was looking up discussions of the whale noise, and ran across a Bloomberg article from 2018 that says that Airbus calls it the "Whisperjet".

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -residents


The article mentions the sound of "mating whales". What exactly is this sound?


There is a unique sound that happens on the GTF when the power is increased.
 
clipperlondon
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:43 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:40 pm

BravoOne wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
BravoOne wrote:


Ah yes, the mighty CL44


Ah, err, yeah, kind of... But not quite. :wave:


Well I don't think I get your drift? Maybe the Britannia was first but the CL44 was the first one I knew of and at least I flew it briefly/


Yes the Britannia was first with Proteus engines. Didn't the CL-44 have different turpoprops, Darts or Tynes perhaps?
 
clipperlondon
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:43 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:50 pm

Yes it was Tynes.I remember hearing them at Heathrow in the1960s when Seaboard World and Flying Tiger (among others) operated there. Got mixed up with the BEA Vanguards which were there at the same time. British Eagle operated Britannias and the engine sound was a lot 'whispery' as opposed to the Tynes which could be quite shrill
 
TYWoolman
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:30 pm

Maybe the captain just wanted a peaceful, undisturbing jet flight where everybody whispers.....the WhisperJet!! C'mon people, this is so obvious.
 
VV
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:44 pm

oschkosch wrote:
VV wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

In Row 11 (right next to the engine), it was pretty darn quiet. The hissing sound your friend heard was probably a partially-open gasper. I in fact had to reach up and open one on my last flight to negate the hissing. The rest of the plane is quiet enough that a hissing gasper is comparatively-loud. Not so on a lot of other aircraft.


Okay, you describe a quiet aircraft.

But are you absolutely sure it is quieter than the A320neo???



I've flown a lot on A320CEO's and a few times on the A320NEO as well as the A220. The A220 is definitely quieter.


Are you absolutely sure?
 
oschkosch
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:41 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:33 pm

VV wrote:
oschkosch wrote:
VV wrote:

Okay, you describe a quiet aircraft.

But are you absolutely sure it is quieter than the A320neo???



I've flown a lot on A320CEO's and a few times on the A320NEO as well as the A220. The A220 is definitely quieter.


Are you absolutely sure?



Yes, 110% sure. It is a much quieter plane. Since I live in Europe I often fly via ZRH, it is a great connecting hub and very often flights from Germany or other countries are on the A220. And yes, I am speaking about new A220 planes.
:stirthepot: :airplane: "This airplane is designed by clowns, who in turn are supervised by monkeys" :airplane: :stirthepot:
 
User avatar
767333ER
Posts: 1169
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:14 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:38 pm

VV wrote:
oschkosch wrote:
VV wrote:

Okay, you describe a quiet aircraft.

But are you absolutely sure it is quieter than the A320neo???



I've flown a lot on A320CEO's and a few times on the A320NEO as well as the A220. The A220 is definitely quieter.


Are you absolutely sure?

Are you absolutely sure questioning this is warranted anymore? Many have said the A220 is quieter, it’s logical to assume it is without going on it, so I’d say it is quieter and you can stop asking people if they are sure about something that they know that you don’t.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 19691
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:06 pm

767333ER wrote:
VV wrote:
oschkosch wrote:


I've flown a lot on A320CEO's and a few times on the A320NEO as well as the A220. The A220 is definitely quieter.


Are you absolutely sure?

Are you absolutely sure questioning this is warranted anymore? Many have said the A220 is quieter, it’s logical to assume it is without going on it, so I’d say it is quieter and you can stop asking people if they are sure about something that they know that you don’t.

Out of curiosity, I use a mobile phone app to measure noise db levels. While not calibrated, it is enough for me to order hearing protection (or if noise is low enough, accept the employee makes the decision) .

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
VV
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:53 pm

oschkosch wrote:
VV wrote:
oschkosch wrote:


I've flown a lot on A320CEO's and a few times on the A320NEO as well as the A220. The A220 is definitely quieter.


Are you absolutely sure?



Yes, 110% sure. It is a much quieter plane. Since I live in Europe I often fly via ZRH, it is a great connecting hub and very often flights from Germany or other countries are on the A220. And yes, I am speaking about new A220 planes.


Is that what Airbus says in their documentations?
 
oschkosch
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:41 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:53 pm

VV wrote:
oschkosch wrote:
VV wrote:

Are you absolutely sure?



Yes, 110% sure. It is a much quieter plane. Since I live in Europe I often fly via ZRH, it is a great connecting hub and very often flights from Germany or other countries are on the A220. And yes, I am speaking about new A220 planes.


Is that what Airbus says in their documentations?
lol, no idea man! I am just a simple frequent flyer with a love of aviation.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk
:stirthepot: :airplane: "This airplane is designed by clowns, who in turn are supervised by monkeys" :airplane: :stirthepot:
 
tomcat
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2000 4:14 am

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:06 pm

767333ER wrote:
VV wrote:
oschkosch wrote:


I've flown a lot on A320CEO's and a few times on the A320NEO as well as the A220. The A220 is definitely quieter.


Are you absolutely sure?

Are you absolutely sure questioning this is warranted anymore? Many have said the A220 is quieter, it’s logical to assume it is without going on it, so I’d say it is quieter and you can stop asking people if they are sure about something that they know that you don’t.


As a passenger, I've found the A220 to be extremely noisy from the onset of the approach all the way to the engine shut down. There is some noisy equipment that starts running and whining from about the flap deployment and it doesn't stop until the aircraft reaches its full stop. It is a tiring experience and I was really happy to be out of the plane. I've also noticed a constant shallow vibration while in flight, with a small peak every second or so. Is it due to the engine gearbox? The difference with say, an A320CEO (that I happen to connect to after my A220 flight), is like the difference between a diesel engine car and a gasoline engine car, the latter offering a smoother experience. Not a significant difference but noticeable.
 
oldJoe
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:17 pm

I had a T7 flight to Europe and a connecting flight on a A220. I assume : the noice
of the T7i s horrible and for me was not acceptibly ! The A220 was a much more silent ride ! I will take an A 380 service and connecting flight over enything, even if it`s just an A220, just a flyers point of view
 
VV
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: DL A220 "Whisperjet"?

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:13 am

tomcat wrote:
767333ER wrote:
VV wrote:

Are you absolutely sure?

Are you absolutely sure questioning this is warranted anymore? Many have said the A220 is quieter, it’s logical to assume it is without going on it, so I’d say it is quieter and you can stop asking people if they are sure about something that they know that you don’t.


As a passenger, I've found the A220 to be extremely noisy from the onset of the approach all the way to the engine shut down. There is some noisy equipment that starts running and whining from about the flap deployment and it doesn't stop until the aircraft reaches its full stop. It is a tiring experience and I was really happy to be out of the plane. I've also noticed a constant shallow vibration while in flight, with a small peak every second or so. Is it due to the engine gearbox? The difference with say, an A320CEO (that I happen to connect to after my A220 flight), is like the difference between a diesel engine car and a gasoline engine car, the latter offering a smoother experience. Not a significant difference but noticeable.


I indeed heard a lot of conflicting "information" about the A220 noise.

Many of those who said it is quieter than A320neo failed to me more specific than "it is quieter".

At this point I think I need to see the cabin noise measurements on both A220 and A320neo to make a clear conclusion.

The external noise can be seen in the TCDS for noise. I do not think A220 scores very well. I need to check again.

There is too much subjective perception.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos