Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
danipawa
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:18 am

Re: Updated: Jet2 acquiring A321's

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:19 pm

Airbus A321 -211 6056 G-HLYB Jet2 ferried 20-21mar20 LCQ-BGR-SNN, old G-reg on lease from Air Transat ex G-TCDE

Boeing 737 ‑377(QC) 23662 1316 G-CELY Jet2 ferried 23mar20 LBA-EGBP, for part-out & scrap ex N662DG

Boeing 757 -236 24397 221 G-LSAD Jet2 ferried 23mar20 BHX-EGBP, for part-out & scrap ex SX-BLW

https://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb. ... av4&page=3
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3659
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: Updated: Jet2 acquiring A321's

Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:57 pm

Nickd92 wrote:
It's near allegiant but not the full carbon copy.


I believe that shared some aircraft a few years ago as they had non-overlapping peak seasons.

Fred
Image
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 10735
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Updated: Jet2 acquiring A321's

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:14 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Nickd92 wrote:
It's near allegiant but not the full carbon copy.


I believe that shared some aircraft a few years ago as they had non-overlapping peak seasons.

Fred

When Allegiant first got the their (newly painted) 757s they temporarily leased a few out to Jet2 because of delays in getting required approvals/paperwork done for their intended Hawaii missions (ETOPs, etc) with no real need for the planes elsewhere in the network. Since the lease was somewhat short term (about a year) and the plane already freshly painted in Allegiant’s livery only the titles were changed which was the genesis of the Jet2 Holiday livery to explain why they were in a different livery than the rest of the fleet.

Jet2 management apparently liked the livery and the awareness is brought to the then relatively new Jet2 Holiday brand and decided to use a modified version (so as not to cause any issues with Allegiant) on future aircraft to continue promoting Jet2 Holiday.
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3659
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: Updated: Jet2 acquiring A321's

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:28 pm

Polot wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
Nickd92 wrote:
It's near allegiant but not the full carbon copy.


I believe that shared some aircraft a few years ago as they had non-overlapping peak seasons.

Fred

When Allegiant first got the their (newly painted) 757s they temporarily leased a few out to Jet2 because of delays in getting required approvals/paperwork done for their intended Hawaii missions (ETOPs, etc) with no real need for the planes elsewhere in the network. Since the lease was somewhat short term (about a year) and the plane already freshly painted in Allegiant’s livery only the titles were changed which was the genesis of the Jet2 Holiday livery to explain why they were in a different livery than the rest of the fleet.

Jet2 management apparently liked the livery and the awareness is brought to the then relatively new Jet2 Holiday brand and decided to use a modified version (so as not to cause any issues with Allegiant) on future aircraft to continue promoting Jet2 Holiday.

I was nearly right ;), Thanks Polot!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
bennett123
Posts: 9817
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Updated: Jet2 acquiring A321's

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:25 pm

Saw G-CELY 1200 today.

G-LSAD not arrived when I left.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 5042
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Is Jet2 acquiring A321's?

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:36 pm

kabq737 wrote:
pdp wrote:
by738 wrote:
a real mishmash (old) fleet is never a great idea in the longterm (737s, A330's, 757s A321s) Mmm. Suppose the cheap fire sale purchase from TCX assets will have been worth it. Would have liked to have seen an A321 in full silver original livery


It's my understanding that the A330s are all ACMI leases? Same with the babybus fleet until this year.

Jet2 wasn't massively enamoured with the build quality of the new 737s they got from Boeing, this this isn't that surprising.

How so? Any sources?

NO! I'll bet not ONE he can name! Or? He Would!!
 
bennett123
Posts: 9817
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Updated: Jet2 acquiring A321's

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:56 pm

 
pdp
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Re: Is Jet2 acquiring A321's?

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:19 am

strfyr51 wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
pdp wrote:

It's my understanding that the A330s are all ACMI leases? Same with the babybus fleet until this year.

Jet2 wasn't massively enamoured with the build quality of the new 737s they got from Boeing, this this isn't that surprising.

How so? Any sources?

NO! I'll bet not ONE he can name! Or? He Would!!


Indeed, I can't name my source for obvious reasons.

There is a reason they keep buying used 737s and not newer ones though.
 
TheWorm123
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:29 pm

Re: Is Jet2 acquiring A321's?

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:45 am

pdp wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
How so? Any sources?

NO! I'll bet not ONE he can name! Or? He Would!!


Indeed, I can't name my source for obvious reasons.

There is a reason they keep buying used 737s and not newer ones though.

I thought they only bought new ones because they got a good discount on end of line models? Otherwise they’d have gone for second hand models only in the first place presumably.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738
 
pdp
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Re: Is Jet2 acquiring A321's?

Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:50 am

TheWorm123 wrote:
pdp wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
NO! I'll bet not ONE he can name! Or? He Would!!


Indeed, I can't name my source for obvious reasons.

There is a reason they keep buying used 737s and not newer ones though.

I thought they only bought new ones because they got a good discount on end of line models? Otherwise they’d have gone for second hand models only in the first place presumably.


They did, but the ones they've bought since have generally been 15-20 years old... No danger of a MAX order IMO
 
jomur
Posts: 361
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Re: Is Jet2 acquiring A321's?

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:19 am

pdp wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
How so? Any sources?

NO! I'll bet not ONE he can name! Or? He Would!!


Indeed, I can't name my source for obvious reasons.

There is a reason they keep buying used 737s and not newer ones though.


Because they are cheap... No reason to have huge bills for aircraft when you can afford to buy out right. Its also one of the reasons why Jet2 has enough cash to ride out the current storm. So far they haven't furloughed any one or issued warnings about laying of staff or asking for Government hand outs unlike other airlines.
 
TheWorm123
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:29 pm

Re: Updated: Jet2 acquiring A321's

Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:24 am

Plane spotters and Jethros fleet lists have both removed all of the A321’s other than G-HLYF, could they have cancelled the orders?

Doesn’t seem likely though as they’re continuing to fly G-HLYF everyday under their own AOC and they surely won’t leave a single orphaned type.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738
 
armadillomaster
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:14 pm

Re: Is Jet2 acquiring A321's?

Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:46 am

pdp wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
How so? Any sources?

NO! I'll bet not ONE he can name! Or? He Would!!


Indeed, I can't name my source for obvious reasons.

There is a reason they keep buying used 737s and not newer ones though.


Makes sense with the build quality.

There was a 737 newly delivered that had a hydraulic issue. 1 week after delivery. I can't imagine Jet2 would be pleased with that... on a plane that costs so much.
 
Boeing74741R
Posts: 1417
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:44 am

Re: Is Jet2 acquiring A321's?

Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:26 am

jomur wrote:
Because they are cheap... No reason to have huge bills for aircraft when you can afford to buy out right. Its also one of the reasons why Jet2 has enough cash to ride out the current storm. So far they haven't furloughed any one or issued warnings about laying of staff or asking for Government hand outs unlike other airlines.


Appreciate this was back in the spring, but since then Dart Group secured access to £300m loan from the Bank of England CCFF fund and a few hundred pilots and cabin crew have been made redundant...

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles ... rcial-loan
https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2020- ... nd-flights

The moving feast of certain European countries coming on and off the 14 day quarantine list must be hitting them hard. Passengers being caught out whilst on holiday and needing to be repatriated, passengers understandably not wanting to go to somewhere that's since been put on the list and whether passengers want to/are able to move quickly enough to go to newly-removed countries at short notice such as Portugal.

It also seems some staff are being asked to take long-term unpaid leave until next Summer...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1447049&hilit=A321&start=100#p22378785

TheWorm123 wrote:
Plane spotters and Jethros fleet lists have both removed all of the A321’s other than G-HLYF, could they have cancelled the orders?

Doesn’t seem likely though as they’re continuing to fly G-HLYF everyday under their own AOC and they surely won’t leave a single orphaned type.


It's been reported elsewhere that it will just be G-HLYF for the foreseeable. The long-term role of the A321 as a 757 replacement when things pick up is clear as the 757's aren't getting any younger and they can do most jobs Jet2 use 757's for, so the investment now/pre-COVID in making the A321 a permanent fleet type will hopefully prove its worth in the future. I have no idea if they will go for the same ex-Thomas Cook A321's or go elsewhere (presumably not if others snap them up first), but they were a compelling option being well under 10 years old.
 
TheWorm123
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:29 pm

Re: Updated: Jet2 acquiring A321's

Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:34 pm

Another A321 G-HLYG is joining the fleet soon according to Planespotters, Jet2 brought back 757’s from storage not long ago and are actively using them now so looks like they’ll either fly them in parallel for the moment or possibly scrap a 757 for every new A321 that enters service.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738
 
debonair
Posts: 3861
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: Updated: Jet2 acquiring A321's

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:52 pm

TheWorm123 wrote:
All A321’s have now have G regs:
G-HLYA
G-HLYB
G-HLYC
G-HLYD
G-HLYE
G-HLYF
G-HLYG


What happened to the previously sourced ex TC A321?!
 
TheWorm123
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:29 pm

Re: Updated: Jet2 acquiring A321's

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:19 pm

debonair wrote:
TheWorm123 wrote:
All A321’s have now have G regs:
G-HLYA
G-HLYB
G-HLYC
G-HLYD
G-HLYE
G-HLYF
G-HLYG


What happened to the previously sourced ex TC A321?!

The rest I think are still with lessors around Europe and possibly the US (at least a couple of TCX aircraft were).

So far only G-HYLF is in service and G-HYLG is probably now undergoing its refit.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos