Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Nicknuzzii

Re: F9 Announcement Next Week

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:09 pm

Just saw an ad for EWR - MSY but than when I clicked it there weren’t direct flights. Maybe hinting for something in the future?

WaywardMemphian

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:07 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
I'd like to see F9 challenge NK at DTW. It seems like NK's network structure has changed drastically since changing leadership in Network Planning. It would be interesting to see if F9 would be willing to take a stab at routes like EWR or BDL to DTW where there's enough O & D to fill a ULCC aircraft less than daily. Additionally, it would be interesting to see if F9 is willing to put themselves ahead of NK by adding routes like SRQ, MEM, or SAT to DTW.

If your goal was to outline formulas for burning money you have succeeded. DL and UA wouldn't allow F9 to get any traction to EWR, plus there's Spirit and AA to LGA. DTW-SAT volume is weak at 2x DL CR9 - and, IMHO, wouldn't be subject to much fare stimulation - no beaches, nor the Orlando concentration of theme parks. There's little demand DTW-MEM and it's hub-to-ex-hub for DL. (DTW-SRQ might have a prayer - Michigan has demand for cheap seats to Gulf Coast Florida.)

Come on now, DTW-MEM would be the Soul Express (Stax to MoTown). Go Norwegian style and stick Aretha on the tail. For agruement's sake, lots of old family connections between the two.

I'd rather see Spirit start that one though if it even came about. I never thought I'd see DSM/MEM but Allegiant thought it was at least worth a try, so never say never.

avtcle

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:24 pm

Looks like ILG-MCO is it. They announced ONE route. How disappointing. Hopefully there’s more planned for the week.

freakyrat

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:37 pm

FWAERJ wrote:
freakyrat wrote:
FWAERJ wrote:
When at my physical therapy appointment, my therapist (who watches WPTA-DT2 21.2, the local NBC station, for their morning news) said that on their newscast that FWA is having an announcement tomorrow for a new airline, which makes my thoughts... well... accurate?

Needless to say, FWA now does their own ground handling in addition to DGS (DL/UA), Trego-Dugan (G4), and Envoy (AA). However, FWA’s Aero Center focuses on small operations and charters... this has a 2 to 6 flight per week F9 operation written all over it. We’ll see tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who knows F9 seems to throw darts at a dartboard for routes. They could return to seasonal SBN-DEN even.

And SBN, like FWA, has over a decade of ULCC experience with G4. The demographics and traffic flow may be different between the SBN and FWA metros - some parts of the South Bend metro have low income, as does Fort Wayne’s southeast side, but all income groups in both areas have embraced the leisure ULCC.

F9 would do well in SBN in addition to semi-confirmed FWA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only problem I see for both FWA and SBN is the ability to fill enough seats on an A320. F9 is phasing out their Airbus A319's on April 22nd so that makes things harder yield wise.

capitalflyer

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:46 pm

ILG-HII

capitalflyer

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:46 pm

ILG-HII

lowfareair

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:28 pm

https://townsquaredelaware.com/2020/01/ ... re-return/

Almost certain confirmation that MCO will be the only route announced from ILG - see map on first image.

Surprising that ILG is willing to open the airport terminal for literally 3 flights per week, especially for an airline that has pulled out before and has pulled out of other airports in a similar fashion, like UST.
Last edited by lowfareair on Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

727LOVER

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:33 pm

So...what is bringing F9 back to ILG?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Bigant0408

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:00 pm

avtcle wrote:
Looks like ILG-MCO is it. They announced ONE route. How disappointing. Hopefully there’s more planned for the week.

Feeling is mutual I got excited for one route announcement. I thought they would have at least had DEN as well
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:11 pm

EWR i think has so much potential for Frontier.

Millions of people, they can disappoint, offer a terrible seat, nickel and dime but there is always someone else who is choosing purely on price. It's not like united slim seats are that much better these days. Not being negative on frontier, but they are an ULCC

Midwestindy

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:26 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
avtcle wrote:

Feeling is mutual I got excited for one route announcement. I thought they would have at least had DEN as well

With all do respect, I find it very difficult to be excited for route announcements from F9. I don't know the exact number but I am pretty confident they have dropped 100+ routes in the past 3 years, which is pretty significant given the size of their network.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Bigant0408

Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:01 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
avtcle wrote:

With all do respect, I find it very difficult to be excited for route announcements from F9. I don't know the exact number but I am pretty confident they have dropped 100+ routes in the past 3 years, which is pretty significant given the size of their network.

For me it’s more so excitement of what dartboard routes they choose this time and predicting which routes I feel will last or not. You never know what you’re going to get with them as we all know. Can’t disagree with you overall on how much routes they’ve dropped over the past few years.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

Jerseyguy

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:47 am

The story gets even more interesting

According to this article (https://townsquaredelaware.com/2020/01/ ... re-return/) this flight isn't even a year round flight, its SEASONAL "The new Wilmington – Orlando service will start as a seasonal offering. But Shurz says that if there is a strong enough response from Delaware fliers they will expand the flights to year-round." (Daniel Shurz is Frontier's VP of Strategy & Planning)

Also in the article..Free Parking is gone. They spent "$4.5 million to renovate the parking lot, which will become revenue-generating once Frontier starts service" and a New Castle County executive said "Where else can you park for under 5 bucks and go to Disney World?". So they will start charging $5 a day to park now. Which eliminates the FREE PARKING perk.

Don't have a sense of when, but the article says they plan to redo the terminal expanding baggage claim, security area and at some point adding a 2nd gate. If they can pull this off it will improve the airport and its possibilites for new service other than Frontier to MCO. But it is risky. Perhaps Moxy has shown interest if there plan is alternate airports. Perhaps TTN for the northern catchment of Philly and Southern Catchment of Newark), ILG for the southern catchment of Philly and maybe a NYC airport like SWF or ISP for better NYC coverage.

Who knows, this sounds risky though.

ctrabs0114

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:24 pm

Jerseyguy wrote:
Iggy500 wrote:
Well guys, tomorrow’s the day of the announcement. Will the new routes and cities be on the booking website before the actual announcement or after?

Currently not bookable (no fares) but flyfrontier.com is showing flights from ILG

to Orlando (MCO) starting May 14
3X Weekly (Sun,Tues,Thur)

F9 1254 MCO 932AM ILG 1158AM A319
F9 1255 ILG 1238PM MCO 313PM A319

This is not a good schedule most people will not want to spend an extra night at a hotel and get up at 5-6am to go home.
Could they be getting subsidies from New Castle County (who owns ILG) or a SCASD grant??

Other destinations that seem likely nonstop based on the pull down menu are
Atlanta
Ft. Myers
Tampa

Chicago IS NOT on the pull down menu.

News coverage from Philadelphia and Delaware:

https://www.fox29.com/news/frontier-air ... operations

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/ne ... 574667002/

The official press release from F9:

https://news.flyfrontier.com/frontier-a ... o-orlando/

We'll see how long F9 sticks around this time.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

ctrabs0114

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:27 pm

Jerseyguy wrote:
Don't have a sense of when, but the article says they plan to redo the terminal expanding baggage claim, security area and at some point adding a 2nd gate. If they can pull this off it will improve the airport and its possibilites for new service other than Frontier to MCO. But it is risky. Perhaps Moxy has shown interest if there plan is alternate airports. Perhaps TTN for the northern catchment of Philly and Southern Catchment of Newark), ILG for the southern catchment of Philly and maybe a NYC airport like SWF or ISP for better NYC coverage.

Who knows, this sounds risky though.

You also have the northeastern catchment area of BWI (Cecil and Harford Counties, plus the Eastern Shore of Maryland) But ILG seems like a long-shot and I'd wonder if F9 is getting from either the state or New Castle County.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

jeepyjeep

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:32 pm

Jerseyguy wrote:
Currently not bookable (no fares) but flyfrontier.com is showing flights from ILG

to Orlando (MCO) starting May 14
3X Weekly (Sun,Tues,Thur)

F9 1254 MCO 932AM ILG 1158AM A319
F9 1255 ILG 1238PM MCO 313PM A319

Interesting to see the A319. I thought those were leaving the fleet very soon and I assumed it's why DEN-MDT was seemingly discontinued, since that route used the 319 primarily. I think there are only like 5 or 6 319s left in the fleet.

Nicknuzzii

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:06 pm

F9 added PHL-BOS/LAX/ORD. Interesting adds in my opinion. Most should be successful though.

PVD523

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:22 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
F9 added PHL-BOS/LAX/ORD. Interesting adds in my opinion. Most should be successful though.

Interesting indeed. PHL-BOS is already at 25x daily across three carriers.

SANFan

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:19 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

:checkmark: I agree 100%.

I have no interest in F9 adds. Even if there had been an add for SAN -- which would normally get me excited! -- I know that it would just disappear within a year. Last year saw Frontier drop a majority of their SAN routes, most of which have been flown for a rather brief time. IMO, one of the most frustrating business models in the modern civil aviation world...

bb

lowfareair

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:41 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:

Agreed. I wonder if PHL will become a connection option for BOS travelers on F9 - it's the first route where connections could naturally occur without going hundreds of miles out of the way.

PVD523 wrote:

Not just that, but fares are already fairly low - regularly $59 or less, often $49 - when booking 3+ weeks in advance, which I imagine most F9 customers would do. There's also Amtrak which can be as low as $39 with no real additional fees (i.e. you can bring your luggage onboard) and Megabus/Boltbus both offer direct bus service between the two cities for usually $20-$30 each way.

Outside of connections, I can see this being difficult for F9, especially as I'm sure the other airlines will match their pricing on whichever flight departs closest to F9's.

PHLBOS

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:00 pm

lowfareair wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Agreed. I wonder if PHL will become a connection option for BOS travelers on F9 - it's the first route where connections could naturally occur without going hundreds of miles out of the way.

PVD523 wrote:

Not just that, but fares are already fairly low - regularly $59 or less, often $49 - when booking 3+ weeks in advance, which I imagine most F9 customers would do. There's also Amtrak which can be as low as $39 with no real additional fees (i.e. you can bring your luggage onboard) and Megabus/Boltbus both offer direct bus service between the two cities for usually $20-$30 each way.

Outside of connections, I can see this being difficult for F9, especially as I'm sure the other airlines will match their pricing on whichever flight departs closest to F9's.
If B6 wasn't already flying that route; both AA & DL would charge top dollar on that route as they did, along w/US at the time, circa 2000 and whenever there wasn't any LFC competition (FL & WN as past examples) on that route. If F9 thinks they can knock B6 off that route; fat chance, BOS is basically a hub for B6. OTOH & for a day-tripper, using F9 may be a viable & most affordable option if one doesn't use the overhead bins.

While Amtrak & Bolt/Megabus are also affordable options for PHL-BOS; one needs to realize that, under normal circumstances, the travel time for those are longer than such for a nonstop flight.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

freakyrat

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:07 pm

SANFan wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

:checkmark: I agree 100%.

I have no interest in F9 adds. Even if there had been an add for SAN -- which would normally get me excited! -- I know that it would just disappear within a year. Last year saw Frontier drop a majority of their SAN routes, most of which have been flown for a rather brief time. IMO, one of the most frustrating business models in the modern civil aviation world...

bb

I agree on your opinion of their business model. The airline has never had much route stability nor took the time to develop routes.

Plus it appears they are phasing out the A319's in April which would make seats hard to fill on their A320's for some cities. Before they went to the ULCC business model they flew an A319 three times a week between SBN and DEN. They flew an average total of 22,000 passengers in and a likewise amount out on about 189 flights. At an average fare without subsidy of 118.00 they grossed close to 5.1 million dollars and they left after 10 months of service. I do not know what there average cost was or yield as most of these passengers made connections in DEN but with all their ancillary revenue added in they couldn't help but make a profit. Mind you I was just using an average fare for SBN-DEN. Some passengers paid more and flew to other cities from DEN and some might have paid less. F9 also took subsidy money to operate the route so they probably grossed more that 5.1 million. The ULCC model works in smaller cities for a carrier like Allegiant who takes the time to develop routes and has route stability. F9 not much so.

lowfareair

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:17 pm

PHLBOS wrote:
If B6 wasn't already flying that route; both AA & DL would charge top dollar on that route as they did, along w/US at the time, circa 2000 and whenever there wasn't any LFC competition (FL & WN as past examples) on that route. If F9 thinks they can knock B6 off that route; fat chance, BOS is basically a hub for B6. OTOH & for a day-tripper, using F9 may be a viable & most affordable option if one doesn't use the overhead bins.

While Amtrak & Bolt/Megabus are also affordable options for PHL-BOS; one needs to realize that, under normal circumstances, the travel time for those are longer than such for a nonstop flight.

Agreed that B6 is why the fares are low and that Bolt/Mega will take longer, I'd counter that many who would fly Frontier to save $10 won't care about an extra 2 hours taking the bus vs flying.

Now that fares are loaded, it doesn't seem too bad - it looks like they are starting at $29, so if they keep it near that level I could see them getting some solid business, especially from people who don't realize they won't get a full carry-on for free.

Daytrips won't be possible based on the current schedule - the plane flies to BOS then immediately turns around for PHL.

PHLspecial

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:37 pm

lowfareair wrote:
PHLBOS wrote:

Agreed that B6 is why the fares are low and that Bolt/Mega will take longer, I'd counter that many who would fly Frontier to save $10 won't care about an extra 2 hours taking the bus vs flying.

Now that fares are loaded, it doesn't seem too bad - it looks like they are starting at $29, so if they keep it near that level I could see them getting some solid business, especially from people who don't realize they won't get a full carry-on for free.

Daytrips won't be possible based on the current schedule - the plane flies to BOS then immediately turns around for PHL.

Yeah this is not geared towards business travelers. Most likely connections to Florida.

lowfareair

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:57 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
lowfareair wrote:
PHLBOS wrote:

Yeah this is not geared towards business travelers. Most likely connections to Florida.

Even that I'm not sure how that will work well as the flight to BOS departs at 8:30a. As of now, I'm not seeing an option to connect in PHL for the redeye LAS/LAX flights.

PVD757

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:05 pm

The PHL-BOS flight leaves before most other F9 arrivals except ATL and LAS.

Wonder if F9 looks at PHL-PVD given the local average fare is almost twice that of BOS!

airplaneboy

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:55 pm

Interesting to see F9 will be flying PHL-LAX after last flying it in 2004 with their LAX focus city experiment. Hopefully the route sticks.

VS4ever

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:21 pm

double checking my original comment, system updates have been made.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

bridge29

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:23 pm

PHL-BOS looks like just a place to do a quick morning turn on a very high-traffic route.

PHLBOS

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:54 pm

lowfareair wrote:
If they're only starting with one round-trip flight a day; I'm inclined to agree.

That said, if F9's schedule isn't accommodating for such; then one can book just a one-way ticket on F9 and an opposite one-way on another carrier (AA or B6 in this case). Via personal experience, I've done split-carrier itineraries on at least two of my Philly-New England day-round-trip flights (one of which was for a BOS meet many years ago) when needed/necessary over the years.

One big question here is; will AA and/or B6 match F9's introductory fares on this route? B6's entry in the route several years ago as well as other LFC carriers like FL & WN entries always triggered then-US to match their fares.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

PHLBOS

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:33 pm

lowfareair wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
I wonder if PHL will become a connection option for BOS travelers on F9 - it's the first route where connections could naturally occur without going hundreds of miles out of the way.
If such is F9's intent; I could very easily see AA swoop down and put a stop to such similar to what then-US did when ML tried to ramp up PHL as a 2nd hub for them in the very early 90s; the latter carrier ultimately folded not too long after. Airline route competition is one thing; hub competition at the same airport is a whole other matter. At the time, US was not going to have another carrier come in and make a hub, even a small one, at one of its hub airports (PHL in the above-case).

crjflyboy

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:56 pm

Too bad they did not add ILG - PIT X 2 daily round trips

Nicknuzzii

Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:21 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
Too bad they did not add ILG - PIT X 2 daily round trips

Lol.

VS4ever

Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:10 am

PHLBOS wrote:
lowfareair wrote:
If they're only starting with one round-trip flight a day; I'm inclined to agree.

That said, if F9's schedule isn't accommodating for such; then one can book just a one-way ticket on F9 and an opposite one-way on another carrier (AA or B6 in this case). Via personal experience, I've done split-carrier itineraries on at least two of my Philly-New England day-round-trip flights (one of which was for a BOS meet many years ago) when needed/necessary over the years.

One big question here is; will AA and/or B6 match F9's introductory fares on this route? B6's entry in the route several years ago as well as other LFC carriers like FL & WN entries always triggered then-US to match their fares.

Unless they procure a 2nd gate in Terminal E for the morning or move one of the other flights 1x daily is all you are going to get, there’s no room in E after lunchtime for more service as it’s all taken up with International who have priority. Down the road when E expands to the equivalent of up to 26 gates. Maybe. But the first phase on that isn’t due until next year at the earliest.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos