Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

skydiamond
Topic Author

LBA new terminal plan

Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:24 pm

https://www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk/ ... evelopment

Any thoughts on the merits of this plan? Agree the old terminal is no longer fit for purpose?

KingB123

Re: LBA new terminal plan

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:14 am

I personally do not like it. It just has a weird shape to the terminal and it looks like they're wanting to build it around the aircraft stands on a constrained piece of land to save money. They should refurbish the old terminal or build alongside it if possible.

To be honest, apart from flights to Europe and domestic, is there really a need for a new terminal when the old one could be refurbished? I remember there were flights to Pakistan from Shaheen air (now defunct) and PIA (bankrupt).
King B

axiom

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:16 am

The existing terminal is already a dysfunctional mess. It’s overdue.

Channex757

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:21 am

Rather than a new terminal, LBA could do with relocation entirely. Put it somewhere near to motorways, rail and enough relatively flat land to build a full length runway.

Jet2 might object however.

skydiamond
Topic Author

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:59 pm

I think DSA hoped to satisfy the relocation argument, but it doesn’t seem to have gained traction being too far away. I guess only Church Fenton or Elvington could be possible alternatives - but unlikely in the current climate.

Having worked at LBA in the nineties and seen the various additions to the 1960’s terminal, I agree this simple layout new terminal maybe a good idea and close to the long-proposed rail station.

Will be interesting to see if they get planning approval in the next few months.

LBA1432

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:01 am

It’s desperately needed, however the design and location seems a bit of a slap-dash attempt if you ask me. I agree with KingB123, they’re building it around the current apron and taxiway configuration when they should be going back to the drawing board completely (a parallel taxiway to the runway would be a good start too if I’m gonna throw my 2 cents in).

I use LBA a lot and the main issue for me is access. I currently live between Leeds and Wakefield and at certain times of the day it’s easier and quicker to get to MAN. Leeds is a notoriously bad city for infrastructure - once the motorway city of the 1970’s it’s now a gridlocked mess and lays claim to being the biggest city in Western Europe without any form of mass transit system - albeit a third world bus service and a handful of suburban railway stations.

The airport is no exception. Apart from the A658 underpass the roads around and to the airport haven’t been changed much since the 1940s or 50s, in these plans there’s no developments to change that from what I’ve read. Yes, it will be closer to the proposed train station, and it has to be as Leeds City Council wouldn’t build the train station to the current terminal facility because they want it as a park and ride facility. SMH.

I fear the NIMBY brigade will jump straight on this and it won’t happen. We saw it with the recent link road proposals that were turned down. I hope I’m wrong. Yes it’s needed at LBA and would be an improvement, but there’s still questions to be raised for me.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos