Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zakuivcustom

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:53 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Have loads on flights to and from other Asian countries been affected yet? Or is it still business as usual? Say, Manila or Taipei to Europe or the US?

Just a single data point, SFO-TPE is still ~70-80% load (remember it's still CNY holiday which does affect load), SFO-HKG is also 60-70% filled. SFO-PVG and SFO-PEK are definitely a lot emptier, though.

The outbreak is not even THAT bad outside of mainland China so far (That include Hong Kong, which people are hoping that it would stay that way given the amount of people coming back from mainland this few days). Same for Taiwan with them closing off border to mainlanders for awhile. Hack, there are 14 cases in Thailand (all of them Chinese tourists) and that's barely being reported.

readytotaxi

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:56 pm

Any ideas about the aircraft bringing back people to the UK? Will it be a charter and as they are going into quarantine for two weeks the crew are going to have to go along aswell.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

alexwm

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:56 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Have loads on flights to and from other Asian countries been affected yet? Or is it still business as usual? Say, Manila or Taipei to Europe or the US?

I’m sure loads to other Asian countries have been affected. I live in Singapore and my colleagues and I cancelled our flights to HK this week. Also folks from US and EU are supposed to travel to Singapore next week for a meeting and they may decide to cancel it too, as some of them don’t love the idea of “flying towards the direction of China”.

hooverman

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:58 pm

cjg225 wrote:
Eikie wrote:
For now KLM Will continue flying.

Is that an outcome of that meeting mentioned by another poster above between AF/KL leadership? Or do we not know the outcome of that yet? It's like 14:30 over there, I guess. Only 8:30 here in the eastern US, so my forwarders haven't checked in this morning yet with updates. Yesterday, things seemed reasonably okay. But with UA and BA pulling overnight, I'm more concerned now. Even though neither directly impacts my cargo, if AF/KL follows suit, I'm in trouble.

As a pharma company, we're in an interesting predicament because we're trying to get life-saving or life-improving medication into a country that's trying to contain a viral outbreak... though none of what we produce impacts this particular situation.

Yes KLM announced they will continue flying and decide day to day if they will continue.
https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/1312355151/klm-blijft-voorlopig-vliegen-naar-china

asuflyer

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:06 pm

The LH group have announced the suspension of flights to China until February 9th. HKG is not affected yet.
https://m.bild.de/geld/wirtschaft/wirts ... obile.html
Although is the German tabloid source but it is confirmed.

AEROFAN

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:15 pm

Seems a bit overblown to me.
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

DFW17L

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:17 pm

Multi-national companies have updated their travel policies. Policy states if you work in China, then work from home until February 10. If you’ve recently returned from China, then work from home for 14 days. And travel to Hubei province requires approval.

wjcandee

Re: Kalitta operating Wuhan evacuation flight

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:33 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
Don't Kalitta only operate 744 freighters?

No, they also operate the 767 and 777 as well.

Correct but this particular flight was on a 744. Also, they do not operate 777s AFAIK and their 767 is also a freighter. They do have PAX 727s and DC9s I think

Kalitta is now operating 777s, and will be operating several for DHL starting over the next year or so. Freighters.

Correct that Kalitta operates some 767 freighters for DHL. Not the most popular assignments in the eyes of most of their pilots.

Connie Kalitta owns K4, what we talk about when we say Kalitta. Doug Kalitta owns Kalitta Charters, which is really two companies. Kalitta Charters (KFS) which is a part 135 operation that operates about 20 Lears, Falcons and a Challenger in both pax and freight configuration, and Kalitta Charters II (KII), which is a Part 121 airline that operates 727s, 737s and DC9s, all in freight config to my knowledge.

emre787

Lufthansa stopping flights to China

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:33 pm

After British Airways, Lufthansa also just announced that it will stop flights to mainland China. HKG flights will be operated normally.

https://www.hessenschau.de/wirtschaft/l ... n-100.html

RvA

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:39 pm

Yep LX, LH and OS just suspended their flights. AFKL will revise their position I’m sure. Their unions will go ballistic.

Varsity1

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:39 pm

AA announced a stop to PVG and PEK flights on Feb 9th. I would expect them to move that up.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

zakuivcustom

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:53 pm

Lots of cancellation to/from mainland China:

AT/RAM: (CMN-PKX)
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -feb-2020/

VN, mainly CXR routes. Vietnam stopped issuing tourist visa to Chinese nationals yesterday (inc. people from HK and Macau).
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-29jan20/

Lion Air/Batik,mainly DPS and MDC flights:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... spensions/

Jetstar Asia (3K) to KWE, HFE, and XUZ; HAK and SWA remain open:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -feb-2020/

And for the most "extreme" one, Air Astana close all bookings to/from mainland China for the entire NS20 season, including flights to URC. Xinjiang in comparison is not that badly affected by the coronavirus compare to other province (10 cases so far, compare to 100+ cases in pretty much every single coastal province and 1000s in Hubei)
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -oct-2020/

DiamondFlyer

Re: Kalitta operating Wuhan evacuation flight

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:53 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
Don't Kalitta only operate 744 freighters?

No, they also operate the 767 and 777 as well.

Correct but this particular flight was on a 744. Also, they do not operate 777s AFAIK and their 767 is also a freighter. They do have PAX 727s and DC9s I think

The 777 will be in operation shortly from what I’ve heard. K4 does not operate the 727/737/DC9, it’s a different carrier, Kalitta Charters (and they stopped flying the DC9 at the end of 2019)
From my cold, dead hands

highflier92660

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:54 pm

https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight ... /PANC/KRIV

As I write this, Kalitta Air flight 371 is arriving at March ARB in Riverside with a planeload of U.S. Consulate employees that were stationed in Wuhan, China. They reportedly will be in-isolation for two weeks, a little like the Apollo astronauts returning from the Moon. Life should be easier for them as they will be living in barracks at the base.

Curiously, the Kalitta Boeing 747-400 filed FL-270 for both legs of the flight. Other than perhaps a yaw damper being inoperative, why would an eastbound flight be down at such a low fuel-guzzling altitude. All you 747 types out there, get-out your ops manuals and give us a reason?

DiamondFlyer

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:55 pm

highflier92660 wrote:
https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/CKS371/history/20200129/08152/PANC/KRIV

As I write this, Kalitta Air flight 371 is arriving at March ARB in Riverside with a planeload of U.S. Consulate employees that were stationed in Wuhan, China. They reportedly will be in-isolation for two weeks, a little like the Apollo astronauts returning from the Moon. Life should be easier for them as they will be living in barracks at the base.

Curiously, the Kalitta Boeing 747-400 filed FL-270 for both legs of the flight. Other than perhaps a yaw damper being inoperative, why would an eastbound flight be down at such a low fuel-guzzling altitude. All you 747 types out there, get-out your ops manuals and give us a reason?

Probably an RVSM issue, would be my guess
From my cold, dead hands

kevertje

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:56 pm

Air France just cancelled AF138 which was scheduled for this afternoon (EU time)
I thought this was a pickup flight.
But it seems there will be the hifly a380 doing the European pickup
Last edited by kevertje on Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jayunited

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:56 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
AA announced a stop to PVG and PEK flights on Feb 9th. I would expect them to move that up.

Is the CNN story correct that AA has suspended those flights from February 9th through March 27th? I know UA is putting together a contingency plan to suspend all flights to China and Hong Kong (should the Trump Administration require) until March 1st. Did CNN get their resumption date of March 27th wrong ? I'm asking because sometimes CNN gets it wrong.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/29/business ... index.html

max999

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:00 pm

highflier92660 wrote:

What about the flight crew? Are they subject to the two week quarantine too? If yes, are they going to be paid for the time they are in involuntary quarantine?
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

Ishrion

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:01 pm

jayunited wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Is the CNN story correct that AA has suspended those flights from February 9th through March 27th? I know UA is putting together a contingency plan to suspend all flights to China and Hong Kong (should the Trump Administration require) until March 1st. Did CNN get their resumption date of March 27th wrong ? I'm asking because sometimes CNN gets it wrong.

LAX-PVG has been removed from the booking system between Feb 9 and March 27.

However, LAX-PEK, DFW-PEK/PVG are still available.

Springbok743

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:08 pm

I don't suppose anything like this has ever really happened before? the huge number and rate of flight cancellations?

32andBelow

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:10 pm

max999 wrote:
highflier92660 wrote:

What about the flight crew? Are they subject to the two week quarantine too? If yes, are they going to be paid for the time they are in involuntary quarantine?

The flight crew was confined to the second deck and never interacted with the passengers.

Jetty

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:13 pm

RvA wrote:
Yep LX, LH and OS just suspended their flights. AFKL will revise their position I’m sure. Their unions will go ballistic.

AF maybe, KL’s unions never tend to go ballistic and the Dutch are pretty stoic in general.

theaviator380

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:14 pm

Any word on what plane bringing British people back in the UK? and where are they landing and quarantined?

I am surprised to see a post calling this is overblown and also some people worried about airline business ! Situation could go worst if not taken proper precautions....glad BA has suspended their services to China...surprise KLM are still going ahead !

Thanks in advance.

Jetty

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:17 pm

Springbok743 wrote:
I don't suppose anything like this has ever really happened before? the huge number and rate of flight cancellations?

SARS compares, although this has the potential to be more serious.

UpNAWAy

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:24 pm

Canceling flights now.

"Coronavirus outbreak: American Airlines cuts China flights, joining United, foreign carriers"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/n ... 606966002/

max999

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:28 pm

32andBelow wrote:
max999 wrote:
highflier92660 wrote:

The flight crew was confined to the second deck and never interacted with the passengers.

And the flight attendants? They have to be next to the passengers, even just to do basic safety responsibilities.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

c933103

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:29 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
And for the most "extreme" one, Air Astana close all bookings to/from mainland China for the entire NS20 season, including flights to URC. Xinjiang in comparison is not that badly affected by the coronavirus compare to other province (10 cases so far, compare to 100+ cases in pretty much every single coastal province and 1000s in Hubei)
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -oct-2020/

Without factual basis, I guess they are probably looking at the experience of their own countries before they gained independence and compare the numbers and words given by Chinese government to responses that would have been given by their old governments in such situation, and then estimate the severity of the event backward based on the information they're receiving.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

Kikko19

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:49 pm

Jetty wrote:
RvA wrote:

AF maybe, KL’s unions never tend to go ballistic and the Dutch are pretty stoic in general.
of course they will follow the others.

zakuivcustom

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:57 pm

jayunited wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

I think it's just easier to cancel everything to March 27th as that's the end of NW19/20 scheduling. Depends on how the situation goes, they may resume flights earlier or continue to suspend flight until something like May (which IIRC would be the beginning of peak Summer schedule).

zeke

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:02 pm

highflier92660 wrote:

My guess being a freighter with seats loaded on pallets it does not have normal passenger oxygen system installed to permit flight at higher levels.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

peterinlisbon

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:19 pm

British Airways just cancelled ALL of its flights to China and the government is recommending not to travel there. Other airlines are starting to suspend flights to the whole country. Some neighboring countries have close their borders. This is really serious. I imagine that whatever happens China will stop its own airlines from going bankrupt, but this is going to cause a major disruption in world trade and particularly the airline business. They are even talking about putting passengers in quarantine for 2 weeks at army camps or on Easter Island. Basically you will get locked up when you get home if you've been there.

I think the measures being taken are so extreme that the real situation must be a lot worse than they are saying. This smells to me of panic and for them to go from trying to cover it up to implementing these absolutely extreme measures that put their entire economy on the line, they must know something that the rest of us don´t.

wjcandee

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:20 pm

highflier92660 wrote:

Likely something to do with the fact that this freighter was carrying passengers pursuant to an FAA waiver. Do you see PSUs with drop-down supplemental oxygen? I don't.

[EDIT: Zeke beat me to it by a few seconds. And he's seriously in a position to know.]

peterinlisbon

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:21 pm

The following airlines have now cancelled ALL flights to mainland China:

British Airways
Lufthansa
Swiss
Austrian
Last edited by peterinlisbon on Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

32andBelow

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:21 pm

max999 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
max999 wrote:

And the flight attendants? They have to be next to the passengers, even just to do basic safety responsibilities.

That whole Kalitta flight was weird. It was on a freaking cargo plane. I’m not even convinced it had flight attendants. It might have just had a couple doctors in proper equipment.

chepos

Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:27 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:

British Airways
Lufthansa
Swiss
Austrian

I’m surprised the US3 have not followed suit and just wipe out China flying for a few weeks (rather than operate a reduced schedule). DL has not announced anything as of yet, so who knows what they are doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

c933103

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:29 pm

https://www.saipantribune.com/index.php ... d-for-nmi/
Northern Mariana, territory of the United States, declared state of emergency and banned entry from China

Ishrion

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:30 pm

AA’s LAX-PEK has now been removed from the bookings alongside PVG

MareBorealis

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:31 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:

British Airways
Lufthansa
Swiss
Austrian

Wow. I wonder how Finnair will react, so far only Nanjing and Daxig cancelled till the end of March.

Kikko19

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:39 pm

MareBorealis wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:

British Airways
Lufthansa
Swiss
Austrian

Wow. I wonder how Finnair will react, so far only Nanjing and Daxig cancelled till the end of March.

wait a couple of days and the skies will be free. SK as well should decide soon.

NIKV69

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:45 pm

DDR wrote:
Would be smart for all airlines to suspend service to China.

Yep. Should have been done a while ago.
I am the Googlizer!!!

Waterbomber2

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:50 pm

DL is probably waiting on the presidential order. President Trump is probably going to close the U.S. borders to China and anyone who visited China in the past 14 days initially and if it spreads, to the rest of the world.

By tomorrow this should hit 8000 confirmed cases, assuming that they have the capacity to keep confirming and reporting numbers of cases.

I don't think that there is panic yet, I think that authorities are taking precautions, some more than others. Good on Australia, Japan and the US for quarantining the evacuees.

For those thinking about masks, whether crews on flights or others, I suggest to look for a half-face or full-face masks with proper P3(EU) /P100(US) filters. If this is as contagious as suggested, simple surgical masks won't provide proper protection.

chepos

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:53 pm

Ishrion wrote:
AA’s LAX-PEK has now been removed from the bookings alongside PVG

AA announced LAX-PEK/PVG will be CX until 3/27. DFW-China will operate as normal. No changes to HKG, this is as of now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

c933103

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:03 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
DL is probably waiting on the presidential order. President Trump is probably going to close the U.S. borders to China and anyone who visited China in the past 14 days initially and if it spreads, to the rest of the world.

By tomorrow this should hit 8000 confirmed cases, assuming that they have the capacity to keep confirming and reporting numbers of cases.

I don't think that there is panic yet, I think that authorities are taking precautions, some more than others. Good on Australia, Japan and the US for quarantining the evacuees.

For those thinking about masks, whether crews on flights or others, I suggest to look for a half-face or full-face masks with proper P3(EU) /P100(US) filters. If this is as contagious as suggested, simple surgical masks won't provide proper protection.

Japan did not quarantine evacuaees.

dabc

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:07 pm

Air Algerie has announced 2 days ago that it will suspend ALG-PEK

JPhoto

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:29 pm

KL will cancel some destinations and reduce others

https://news.klm.com/update-corona-virus-2-ii/
PDX-AMS

Flanker7

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:30 pm

KLM has now amended its schedule. Chengdu, Xiamen and Hangzhou are cancelled. Beijing remains daily and Shanghai reduced from 11 to 7 weekly.
Flying blue only if possible

SCQ83

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:34 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:

British Airways
Lufthansa
Swiss
Austrian

Iberia too their only route to China, MAD-PVG

https://www.elespanol.com/economia/empr ... 774_0.html

1989worstyear

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:42 pm

One thing I've been wondering is where are all of the retired aircraft resulting from this mess going to end up?

A lot of the desert storage in the US is taken up by grounded MAX's I would imagine.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

ACCS300

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:57 pm

I wonder what Air Canada is waiting for? YVR is a huge Chinese hub, most North America - China flights daily and we already have one case in Metro Vancouver, seems essential to severely cut flights.

c933103

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:04 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:

Japan did not quarantine evacuaees.

Yes they have quarantined them.

そのほかの人たちのほとんどは、経過を観察するため、国が用意した宿泊施設に滞在していて、厚生労働省はチャーター機で帰国した人たちについて症状のあるなしに関わらず、新型コロナウイルスに感染していないか調べています。

(12 are hospitalised, most others aboard the chartered flight have been accomodated in government-provided accommodations and are being monitored and checked for contagion).

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202001 ... 01000.html

Only for those agreed to, although that's indeed most of the people according to the article

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos