Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

danman132x

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:23 pm

Can the entire border actually be closed? I mean theoretically yes, but in practice? I have flights booked to Europe in May and fear things may change now if they block off any flights leaving or coming into the country.

greenair727

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:25 pm

Lion Air and Seoul Air have suspended all flights.

AWACSooner

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:34 pm

AA is canning all flights from LAX to PEK and PVG til the end of March...but somehow they're keeping DFW.
LH group is also suspending til next month.

Source:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/american- ... a-flights/

I'm on the phone now seeing what my options are as I was supposed to be on the PVG-LAX leg on 21 March.

cjg225

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:34 pm

JPhoto wrote:
KL will cancel some destinations and reduce others

https://news.klm.com/update-corona-virus-2-ii/

Ooof. That's the one that hurts. We have a plant in Hangzhou, and we use KLM extensively. Beijing untouched (so far) is not bad news, at least.

Gotta think spot rates are going to fly through the roof with the carriers still servicing China. All the belly cargo that BA and LH carry isn't going to *completely* disappear. It'll roll to other carriers. Space will be at a premium, especially since I'm guessing relief supplies are going to start rushing in, as well.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

greenair727

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:35 pm

^Yeah, that AA logic makes no sense. I guess DFW-based flight crews are tougher than those based at LAX, so they can handle it better if they come across the virus.

greenair727

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:41 pm

cjg225 wrote:
JPhoto wrote:
KL will cancel some destinations and reduce others

https://news.klm.com/update-corona-virus-2-ii/

Ooof. That's the one that hurts. We have a plant in Hangzhou, and we use KLM extensively. Beijing untouched (so far) is not bad news, at least.

Gotta think spot rates are going to fly through the roof with the carriers still servicing China. All the belly cargo that BA and LH carry isn't going to *completely* disappear. It'll roll to other carriers. Space will be at a premium, especially since I'm guessing relief supplies are going to start rushing in, as well.

By Beijing being "untouched (so far)" do you mean by KLM reductions or by the virus? According to this site, Beijing has 100 confirmed cases, which may mean there are really over 1,000 cases.

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/01/t ... rus-cases/

I hope KLM stops ALL flights.

AirbusOnly

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:41 pm

Finnair cancels Nanjing and Beijing Daxing:

https://company.finnair.com/en/media/al ... id=3549687

Finn350

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:42 pm

MareBorealis wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
The following airlines have now cancelled ALL flights to mainland China:

British Airways
Lufthansa
Swiss
Austrian

Wow. I wonder how Finnair will react, so far only Nanjing and Daxig cancelled till the end of March.

Speaking of Finnair, first case confirmed in Finland a few hours ago. A female Chinese tourist who arrived in Finland on January 23rd and currently quarantined in a hospital in Northern Finland.

cjg225

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:52 pm

greenair727 wrote:
By Beijing being "untouched (so far)" do you mean by KLM reductions or by the virus? According to this site, Beijing has 100 confirmed cases, which may mean there are really over 1,000 cases.

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/01/t ... rus-cases/

I hope KLM stops ALL flights.

I mean flights. My company ships a lot of vaccines into Beijing, and KLM tends to be the carrier for us on those on a US to NL to CN route. And February is a heavy month looking at the shipping plan right now.

So I'm watching these flights drop and thinking we're going to struggle to get this stuff into China.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

yycdel

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:00 pm

ACCS300 wrote:
I wonder what Air Canada is waiting for? YVR is a huge Chinese hub, most North America - China flights daily and we already have one case in Metro Vancouver, seems essential to severely cut flights.

Air Canada is cancelling all China flights until Feb 28 at least, starting tomorrow.

greenair727

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:02 pm

^If the vaccines are sourced in the US those vaccines could get there some other way without going via AMS. Yes, may be bad for your companies revenues, but it would mean KLM flight crews won't be affected and less pax movements.

Kikko19

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:04 pm

danman132x wrote:
Can the entire border actually be closed? I mean theoretically yes, but in practice? I have flights booked to Europe in May and fear things may change now if they block off any flights leaving or coming into the country.
during
9/11 us closed the airspace and nothing could enter. Many flights landed in Canada. There is also a movie based on that.

SCQ83

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:19 pm

What will happen with the Chinese group tourists which are still around in Europe, the US or elsewhere? Will they be able to return to China if flights are cancelled? Or will Chinese carriers keep flying abroad?

alan3

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:21 pm

yycdel wrote:
ACCS300 wrote:
I wonder what Air Canada is waiting for? YVR is a huge Chinese hub, most North America - China flights daily and we already have one case in Metro Vancouver, seems essential to severely cut flights.

Air Canada is cancelling all China flights until Feb 28 at least, starting tomorrow.

Air Canada cancellation of all China flights confirmed here with press release: https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020-01 ... g-Shanghai
Last edited by alan3 on Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zakuivcustom

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:24 pm

yycdel wrote:

You sure? I've only seen news saying that they'll cancel SOME China flights (similar to UA), but not ALL of them.

EDIT: Nevermind. Saw the link in the earlier post.

I personally do wonder the effect on HKG. Airlines so far are cancelling flights to/from MAINLAND Chinese airport but not HKG. Although the number of Mainland-HKG flight are reduced (by 50%), that's still a big "loophole" that I just don't see HK govt close. Japan and South Korean airports will probably face similar dilemma.
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

777222LR

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:31 pm

Kikko19 wrote:
danman132x wrote:
during
9/11 us closed the airspace and nothing could enter. Many flights landed in Canada. There is also a movie based on that.

That was so eery. There was nothing in the air. Look up, no contrails. Nothing. Quite odd if you really think about it.

DIRECTFLT

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:06 pm

Jetty wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Jetty wrote:
Who are 'they' talking about putting passengers in quarantine on Easter island? :? It's the most remote place on earth and Chilean territory. Not a convenient or viable location to use for quarantine.

I think both are you are getting your islands confused, as pointed up thread Australian officials are planning on using Christmas Island for quarantine

The difference between Christmas and Easter is only 14379 km. :D

Save your large bottles, they might come in handy!

I wonder if an airline would refuse someone coming on a flight in a self-contained suit??
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

lesfalls

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:07 pm

Spanish authorities have started to check inbound IB flights from PVG.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

traindoc

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:29 pm

My wife and I are headed to India, Bangkok, Siem Reap and Singapore. Actually glad that many carriers are cancelling China, as it reduced our exposure risk. Bring plenty of masks just in case!

DDR

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:36 pm

If the Chinese carriers keep flying, won't they just keep spreading the virus? What good does it do to cancel a BA flight to LHR when Air China is still flying to LHR? Will countries eventually ban Chinese airlines?

Springbok743

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:44 pm

Can someone confirm a list of carriers which are cancelling ALL mainland China flights by the end of the week?

The WHO is considering declaring a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on Thursday, which may force further carriers.

Understand all international flights operated by chinese carriers are continuing?

Aither

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:15 pm

There will be for sure some long term impact on aviation as many businesses will learn how to do business with China, without having to travel to China. Greta must be pleased.
Never trust the obvious

Atlwarrior

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:46 pm

Delta temporarily cutting Asia flights.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/new ... cTZQIn0%3D

panamair

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:56 pm

Atlwarrior wrote:

Delta news release: https://news.delta.com/delta-temporaril ... -customers

No routes will be dropped; frequencies reduced to 3 - 4x weekly on all six existing PEK and PVG flights.

dampfnudel

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:27 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
What will happen with the Chinese group tourists which are still around in Europe, the US or elsewhere? Will they be able to return to China if flights are cancelled? Or will Chinese carriers keep flying abroad?

Chinese carriers will probably send rescue flights, although I suspect some Chinese tourists may not be too eager to return home until the situation stabilizes.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

dampfnudel

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:30 pm

panamair wrote:
Atlwarrior wrote:

No routes will be dropped; frequencies reduced to 3 - 4x weekly on all six existing PEK and PVG flights.

It will probably take the US government to force US carriers to suspend all service to China.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

RobertS975

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:45 am

highflier92660 wrote:
https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/CKS371/history/20200129/08152/PANC/KRIV

As I write this, Kalitta Air flight 371 is arriving at March ARB in Riverside with a planeload of U.S. Consulate employees that were stationed in Wuhan, China. They reportedly will be in-isolation for two weeks, a little like the Apollo astronauts returning from the Moon. Life should be easier for them as they will be living in barracks at the base.

Curiously, the Kalitta Boeing 747-400 filed FL-270 for both legs of the flight. Other than perhaps a yaw damper being inoperative, why would an eastbound flight be down at such a low fuel-guzzling altitude. All you 747 types out there, get-out your ops manuals and give us a reason?

Aircraft is a cargo B747, no drop down emergency oxygen masks. Need to fly lower for that reason.

RJMAZ

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:51 am

Can someone confirm a list of carriers which are cancelling ALL mainland China flights by the end of the week?

Ziyulu

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:18 am

In this type of situation, if there are no flights, what would one do if their visa is about to expire? Do they let it expire and stay illegally?

zakuivcustom

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:21 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Zoedyn wrote:
http://www.nhc.gov.cn/xcs/yqtb/202001/e71bd2e7a0824ca69f87bbf1bef2a3c9.shtml

Minutes ago China's National Heath Commission updated the latest coronavirus figures by Jan 29th yesterday on its website concerning the epidemic in China. Such stats surely deserve close watch and must be closely monitored around the world :alert:

For Jan 29th in mainland China
New confirmed cases: 1737 (including 1st case in Tibet)
New severe cases: 131
New death cases: 38 (Hubei Province: 37; Sichuan Province: 1)
New cured cases discharged from hospital: 21
New suspected cases: 4148

Accumulative figures for mainland China by 24 o'clock Jan 29th yesterday:
Confirmed cases: 7711
Severe cases: 1370
Death cases: 170
Cured cases discharged from hospital: 124
Suspected cases: 12,167

The more notable thing is that Tibet had officially "fallen" with the first confirmed case there. Which means all Chinese province/autonomous regions now have at least 1 case of nCoV.

panamair wrote:

Seems like US-China flights will likely be the last intercontinental pairs to be fully suspended.

Thanks for sharing.
The trend continues, with a daily rise of 25% on all metrics.

If we extrapolate from this and if the trend of a 1.25 factor per day is maintained, we are looking at
-40.000 confirmed cases in 1 week,
-200.000 in 2 weeks,
-1 million in 3 weeks
-7 millions a month from now
-4 billions (ie 50% of the worldwide population) 2 months from now

Time for containment measures? Only containment measures will slow down the spread IMO, reducing from a factor of 1.25 to a manageable level.
If no containment measures are taken and the above scenario unfolds, forget about retiring B757/B767's to the desert, a grounding of the worldwide fleet may be necessary and we'd all be fighting for our lives by Easter.

Keep in mind that even now some of the new confirmed case are from people that were probably sick for weeks due to the lack of test kits especially in Hubei.

RJMAZ wrote:

Possibly incomplete:
Royal Air Maroc (AT)
Lufthansa (LH)
Austrian (OS)
Swissair (LX)
British Airways (BA)
Iberia (IB)
Lion Air (JT)/Batik Air (ID)
Air Astana (KC)
Air India (AI)
IndiGo (6E)
Air Canada (AC)
Air Seoul (RS)

Keep in mind that there are a few airlines that are operating barebone frequency also, such as Finnair (AY), Vietnam Airlines (VN), AA/DL/UA, etc.

Taiwanese carriers (BR/B7 and CI/AE) had reduced their schedule for almost a week. HK-based carrier (CX/KA, UO, HX) also cut back 50% of their frequencies.
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

T4thH

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:25 am

Ziyulu wrote:
In this type of situation, if there are no flights, what would one do if their visa is about to expire? Do they let it expire and stay illegally?

It is easy, the police will come, catch him and put him immediately into the next plane to China... :rotfl:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Something completely different: This will be pretty sure a bad year for the aviation and the airlines (as it was already in the SARS year).

Additional the global economy is already harmed by the trade wars, the new coronavirus case will further harm the economy, as it is already doing in China and soon will globally.
How many airlines globally will collapse and how many of the airlines, who will survive harmed, will be forced to defer orders to a later time or will even have to cancel orders?
Airbus has an according backlog for the next years for most or all of the products. Boeing has an according backlog only for the B737 Max, which is well known in trouble, the B777X has still not started and the total number of orders is still limited and half of them from few customers. The B787 backlog is limited, the production rate will be reduced to 10....

1989worstyear

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:29 am

T4thH wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

It is easy, the police will come, catch him and put him immediately into the next plane to China... :rotfl:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Something completely different: This will be pretty sure a bad year for the aviation and the airlines (as it was already in the SARS year).

Additional the global economy is already harmed by the trade wars, the new coronavirus case will further harm the economy, as it is already doing in China and soon will globally.
How many airlines globally will collapse and how many of the airlines, who will survive harmed, will be forced to defer orders to a later time or will even have to cancel orders?
Airbus has an according backlog for the next years for most or all of the products. Boeing has an according backlog only for the B737 Max, which is well known in trouble, the B777X has still not started and the total number of orders is still limited and half of them from few customers. The B787 backlog is limited, the production rate will be reduced to 10....

Throw in OPEC trying to gouge jet fuel prices, and the crap between the US and Iran it, could be 2002 all over again.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

COEWR787

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:59 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
RJMAZ wrote:

Possibly incomplete:
Air India (AI)
IndiGo (6E)

Keep in mind that there are a few airlines that are operating barebone frequency also, such as Finnair (AY), Vietnam Airlines (VN), AA/DL/UA, etc.

As of the morning of the 30th both Air India and Indigo are continuing to run some flights to China. But both said they are monitoring passenger loads. Their cancellations appear to be mostly driven by lack of traffic.

zakuivcustom

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:50 am

COEWR787 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
RJMAZ wrote:

Possibly incomplete:
Air India (AI)
IndiGo (6E)

As of the morning of the 30th both Air India and Indigo are continuing to run some flights to China. But both said they are monitoring passenger loads. Their cancellations appear to be mostly driven by lack of traffic.

Seems like cancellation start on Feb. 1st.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-29jan20/

But yes, I can't imagine those flights being loaded at all.

There are still flights to HKG for the time being not being affected (demand for that is more affected by the protest anyway).

COEWR787

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:28 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
COEWR787 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

Possibly incomplete:
Air India (AI)
IndiGo (6E)

There are still flights to HKG for the time being not being affected (demand for that is more affected by the protest anyway).

Those are not the only flights operated by them between India and China. For example IndoGo is continuing the Kolkata - Guangzhuo. That was my point.

Kikko19

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:31 am

COEWR787 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
COEWR787 wrote:

Those are not the only flights operated by them between India and China. For example IndoGo is continuing the Kolkata - Guangzhuo. That was my point.

Hopefully the flights will be stopped. India won't be able to contain the virus like China. It will be a disaster.

COEWR787

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:37 am

Kikko19 wrote:
COEWR787 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

Those are not the only flights operated by them between India and China. For example IndiGo is continuing the Kolkata - Guangzhuo. That was my point.

Hopefully the flights will be stopped. India won't be able to contain the virus like China. It will be a disaster.

Possible. But do keep in mind that at present the Chinese airlines have not cut any of their flights to India AFAIK.

Fortunately, India has a pretty robust screening and quarantine program in place at all airports that are involved with flights to/from China. It has been in place since about the 18th-20th or so.

a36001

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:57 am

When will a ban be placed on Chinese carriers from landing in foreign countries until this is resolved? What is the point of airlines ceasing flights INTO China if Chinese airlines are still flying OUT of China?

Ishrion

Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:01 am

a36001 wrote:
When will a ban be placed on Chinese carriers from landing in foreign countries until this is resolved? What is the point of airlines ceasing flights INTO China if Chinese airlines are still flying OUT of China?

Note that a good amount of airlines are ceasing China operations partially, due to declining load factors.

I doubt most of these airlines are primarily doing it for their safety as they have not yet completely suspended China flights.

COEWR787

Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:12 am

Actually there is a mix of motivations. Declining load factors is one of them. Concern for the safety of the crew is another, and of course as time goes on containment is becoming a matter of urgency too. It is a fast developing situation with things evolving and changing quite rapidly.

Finn350

Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:46 am

COEWR787 wrote:
Actually there is a mix of motivations. Declining load factors is one of them. Concern for the safety of the crew is another, and of course as time goes on containment is becoming a matter of urgency too. It is a fast developing situation with things evolving and changing quite rapidly.

The flights are also repatriating Chinese citizens from abroad and foreigners in China to their homelands. There is no point to stop the flights at the moment, as those repatriations are good to take place anyway.

ro1960

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:48 am

An article in French magazine Le Point states that CDG is the most exposed airport amongst Western countries ranking #12 ahead of SFO and LAX.

AF is being criticized for only reducing their flights to China when BA and LH have suspended all of theirs.

https://www.lepoint.fr/monde/coronavirus-chinois-roissy-charles-de-gaulle-aeroport-le-plus-expose-en-occident-30-01-2020-2360432_24.php
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

RJMAZ

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:10 am

Finn350 wrote:
The flights are also repatriating Chinese citizens from abroad and foreigners in China to their homelands. There is no point to stop the flights at the moment, as those repatriations are good to take place anyway.

I agree. Very limited flights must remain for everyone currently on holiday to return to their home country. These flights should be conducted by Chinese airlines only with their crew at risk.

All passengers coming from China must go straight to quarantine.

I will use Australia for example. All incoming flights from high risk countries should unload the returning Australians at Christmas island for quarantine. They have just set up their quarantine station there. A second set of crew should be onboard so the empty aircraft can continue to Melbourne or Sydney where it will pick up any Chinese citizens. The Chinese crew remain onboard and the aircraft flies direct back to China.

Australia can stop granting visas from other high risk countries and the traffic will then dry up straight away. This would allow any remaining Australian citizens to also stop at Christmas island.

Zoedyn

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:44 am

http://news.ifeng.com/c/7teetW8QkFs

Reverse evacuation now :airplane:

Early this morning Jan 30, 212 Wuhan pax who had been stranded in Singapore arrived back at WUH aboard Flight #TR120 :bomb:

It’s reported CAAC has granted permission to operations of charter flights from overseas airports to WUH by airlines in efforts to bring home pax/tourists from Hubei Province stranded in foreign lands due to service suspension to/from WUH that is still under lockdown, emphasizing that airlines involved not be allowed to reject any WUH-originating pax who have passed heath screening tests

mafaky

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:03 am

Also note this:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1438103#p21976445

and the same contributor's further message above...
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

Finn350

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:59 am

It is reported in Finnish newspapers that Finnair has announced it is not any more accepting new reservations for mainland China flights until end of March. Hong Kong flights continue to be available for reservation.

melpax

Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:55 am

Interesting news report from Sydney - looks like a possible plan for the QF 74's is to land first in either Exmouth Air Force base, or Darwin (which is both civil & military) & pax to be transferred to smaller Airforce planes for the flight to Christmas Island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVECmF9MDQo
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

Jetty

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:54 pm

Kikko19 wrote:
Jetty wrote:
RvA wrote:
Yep LX, LH and OS just suspended their flights. AFKL will revise their position I’m sure. Their unions will go ballistic.

AF maybe, KL’s unions never tend to go ballistic and the Dutch are pretty stoic in general.
of course they will follow the others.

Maybe later. The prediction was right about AF's unions.

Cabin crew unions at Air France have demanded that the carrier stop flying to China, staff representatives told Reuters, amid concern that the flights may expose employees to the coronavirus and help spread infections.
https://in.reuters.com/article/china-he ... NP6N29P00S

But KLM staff is still happy to fly to China according to union representatives. As always, the difference between AF and KL unions is huge, with KL staff way more willing to work.

Bostrom

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:05 pm

SAS suspends all flights to mainland China.

dtw2hyd

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:56 pm

Did Delta cancel any flights to China or business as usual?
All posts are just opinions.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos