Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Aither
Posts: 1301
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:43 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:36 pm

Clackers wrote:
I think this is the end of Hainan and China Southern. Maybe even Air Asia could go under.


The operational costs of CZ & HU flying from provincial international routes are very often largely covered by the local governments.

Also CZ for example is reducing flights, but the fares on the remaining flights are like 2 times normal fares (less competition & nowadays if you fly go to China it probably means you really need to). Add to that the lower fuel prices.

It's still an economic disaster but it can be well mitigated. CZ won't go bankrupt. However it is very possible that there will be a cleanup of the inefficient aviation system in China.
Never trust the obvious
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24816
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:27 pm

United suspending HKG beginning Feb. 8 until Feb. 20.

Last westbound flights will depart SFO on February 5 and the last eastbound flights will depart HKG on Feb. 7 (Flight 862).
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
Myriad
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:28 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:21 am

How many US-China & HK flights are left at this point?
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 3568
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:47 am

Myriad wrote:
How many US-China & HK flights are left at this point?


For HK, I think CX is still running full schedule. I checked their plane ticket today, though, and they are at some ridiculous price.

For China, I know CA is cancelling a bunch of their flights, and MU is cancelling about half their flights.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 15279
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:13 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
Myriad wrote:
How many US-China & HK flights are left at this point?


For HK, I think CX is still running full schedule. I checked their plane ticket today, though, and they are at some ridiculous price.

For China, I know CA is cancelling a bunch of their flights, and MU is cancelling about half their flights.


There have been press reports that CX is not running a full schedule. https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... light-cuts

This has a lot to do with various bans on people who have been in infected areas in the past 14 days. Different countries have put in other restrictions, eg Vietnam banned all passengers from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, and Mainland China. Vietnam then lifted the ban on Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau.

HKG itself hasnt had any new cases for a few days, there are more cases identified in Japan, Korea, Singapore, and Thailand according to the WHO. In the coming days it is expected the number of cases in Malaysia, Germany, and the USA will exceed the number in HKG as people returning to those countries pass the incubation period. HKG has closed almost all land and sea entry points with mainland China.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
TMccrury
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:24 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:23 am

My pastor and his wife are taking group of 24 from our church to the Philippines in March. They were to pass through Beijing as the transit point. They have been informed their flights are cancelled and so now they are scrambling to make other arrangements. It looks like they may get seats on Turkish via Istanbul. They will not know till tomorrow.
 
COEWR787
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:35 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:39 am

LAXintl wrote:
United suspending HKG beginning Feb. 8 until Feb. 20.

Air India is suspending HKG too on the same date (Feb 7 to HKG 8th from HKG), until March 28th, according to a report in the Times of India this morning (Feb 5).
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 3568
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:46 am

zeke wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Myriad wrote:
How many US-China & HK flights are left at this point?


For HK, I think CX is still running full schedule. I checked their plane ticket today, though, and they are at some ridiculous price.

For China, I know CA is cancelling a bunch of their flights, and MU is cancelling about half their flights.


There have been press reports that CX is not running a full schedule. https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... light-cuts

This has a lot to do with various bans on people who have been in infected areas in the past 14 days. Different countries have put in other restrictions, eg Vietnam banned all passengers from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, and Mainland China. Vietnam then lifted the ban on Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau.

HKG itself hasnt had any new cases for a few days, there are more cases identified in Japan, Korea, Singapore, and Thailand according to the WHO. In the coming days it is expected the number of cases in Malaysia, Germany, and the USA will exceed the number in HKG as people returning to those countries pass the incubation period. HKG has closed almost all land and sea entry points with mainland China.


I'm referring to HKG-US flights only, which is still running at full schedule AFAIK. You can correct me, though, zeke :).

HK does have a new confirmed case today (A 25-yo male IIRC). It's also a 80-year old man from Hong Kong that cause that mess on Diamond Princess :banghead: . There are also signs of some human-to-human spreads between people that haven't been to mainland, so things are certainly NOT dandy in HK, either (Well, that and the mask shortage...I will not go further on my rant on HK govt here, though).

Either way, though, it's definitely demand drop, rather than the virus, causing the cancellation of the AA and UA flights.
 
COEWR787
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:35 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:48 am

chonetsao wrote:
zkncj wrote:
cjg225 wrote:
So is that list where they are serving a country that has closed its borders to flights to/from China? Because I thought the Chinese airlines weren't doing anything to otherwise curtail their flights so far.


- USA
- Australia
- New Zealand

Have closed there boarders to any one that is not from there country that has been in China in the past 14days (including transit passengers).


Russia closed land boarders. Vietnam and Italy both stopped all China flights, not accepting any. Singapore is effectively forbid Chinese entering.

Add India to that list. India has also retroactively cancelled all visas that were already issued, pending further notice, and has removed the visa on arrival facility for anyone who has been in China in the last 14 days before arrival in India, and for all Chinese citizens irrespective of where they are coming from. However, they are issuing specific visas for those that can establish a pressing need for travel and pass a health test.

But India still has to fend for 10,000+ Indian citizens who are typically in China for various reasons, so while much curtailed, all flights have not been suspended between the two countries. Screening at airports continue. Kolkata airport has reserved four gates/aerobridges for exclusive use of flights from China, Thailand and Singapore. Screening is happening at those gates now, and those are not used for any other flights.
 
thaiflyer
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:55 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:58 am

Antaras wrote:
Don't know what are Thai authorities thinking...


Unfortunately the Thai government is more concerned about their loss off income then anything else.
The parliament proposed to suspend the visa's for Chinese people but this was objected by the PM as it would upset the Chinese government.
 
greenair727
Posts: 1472
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:27 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:12 am

Korean Air and Asiana are still flying into China---just a one stop in Seoul connecting the US and China. I wonder if the authorities in the US screen inbound pax from these flights. Anybody know?
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 15279
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:19 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
HK does have a new confirmed case today (A 25-yo male IIRC). It's also a 80-year old man from Hong Kong that cause that mess on Diamond Princess :banghead: . There are also signs of some human-to-human spreads between people that haven't been to mainland, so things are certainly NOT dandy in HK, either (Well, that and the mask shortage...I will not go further on my rant on HK govt here, though).


My source of information is the most recent WHO situation report. https://www.who.int/docs/default-source ... 88fe8ad6_2

Masks do nothing to prevent people getting the virus, masks should be worn by those who have the virus to stop droplets when coughing or sneezing.

We all know though your posting history you have a passionate hate for all things Hong Kong, but please keep your political views out of this aviation thread.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 3568
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:56 am

zeke wrote:
We all know though your posting history you have a passionate hate for all things Hong Kong, but please keep your political views out of this aviation thread.


Off topic, but what makes you think I hate all things HK anyway (I'm born there for one thing...)? The HK govt, yes, I've tons of problem with (but I'm far from the only person from HK disliking the govt). Hong Kong overall? Not so much.

But either way, isn't CX/KA trim mostly mainland flight related anyway? I haven't seen anything that suggest that they'll cut other routes (other than Italy and Philippines with both banning flights to/from HKG) otherwise...unless you got some insider info that I'm not aware of?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11162
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:05 am

Cebu Pacific expecting $79 million hit due to Coronavirus

https://twitter.com/fhavg/status/122489 ... 84032?s=21
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11162
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:07 am

2 Kalitta Air 747’s have departed WUH heading back to the US

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/statu ... 97568?s=21
Forum Moderator
 
trent768
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:32 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:47 am

Didn't saw this being posted here, but the Indonesian airport authority twitter account has just announced the suspension of Indonesia - China service. Also a 44 years old Indonesian woman has been diagnosed with the corona in Singapore, which is worrying since she's never been to China.
 
blandy62
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:47 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:08 am

zeke wrote:

Masks do nothing to prevent people getting the virus, masks should be worn by those who have the virus to stop droplets when coughing or sneezing.



I am no doctor, but it seems that nobody is really able to tell if mask protect you or not. That's true. But if people can really spread the virus before showing any signs and wearing a can prevent people of spreading it, as you mentioned, it seems that this is still the best protection.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11162
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:17 am

China fuel sales were down 25% in last week of January due to Coronavirus

https://twitter.com/jamie_freed/status/ ... 92800?s=21
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11162
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:21 am

China Southern has sacked 220 pilots and parked up to 30 A330’s while Chine Eastern has put foreign pilots on leave indefinitely

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... 709e71f49d
Forum Moderator
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2342
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:39 am

Looks like CX is suspending HKG-EWR for a while. Flights seem to be zeroed out and new bookings seem to connect via ORD.

I'm taking CX on 14-21 March IAD-HKG-SIN-HKG-IAD, so I am hoping for the best in regards to CX US operations.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24816
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:55 am

USAirALB wrote:
Looks like CX is suspending HKG-EWR for a while. Flights seem to be zeroed out and new bookings seem to connect via ORD.

I'm taking CX on 14-21 March IAD-HKG-SIN-HKG-IAD, so I am hoping for the best in regards to CX US operations.


Makes sense with their announced 30% global capacity cut.

LAX will be losing 1 of 3 daily flights from mid-February with a second flight also getting the axe in March on many dates.

Looking bleak
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
Waterbomber2
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:44 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:40 am

And yet Air France KLM shares gained 3.5% yesterday, despite the dozen of flights scrapped and risk of an outbreak in France.
It looks like markets are being manipulated (ie pumped with cash) in China but also Europe.
It's also suspicious that France hasn't announced any new cases, I wonder what was said during that G7 conference call.
A dozen of widebodies without work is a 9-digit impact on AF-KLM.
 
716131
Posts: 892
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:15 am

Garuda stops China flights according to this Indonesian Source.

https://finance.detik.com/berita-ekonom ... n-ke-china
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!
 
chonetsao
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:55 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:26 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
And yet Air France KLM shares gained 3.5% yesterday, despite the dozen of flights scrapped and risk of an outbreak in France.
It looks like markets are being manipulated (ie pumped with cash) in China but also Europe.
It's also suspicious that France hasn't announced any new cases, I wonder what was said during that G7 conference call.
A dozen of widebodies without work is a 9-digit impact on AF-KLM.


You are looking at the wrong angle. Think this way, if AF/KL is running a loss on its China route, now they need to cancel, maybe that means AF/KL will not have any loss for this quarter. I know I am speculating without any foundation. But, what I am trying to say is that maybe the market knows something (i.e. the possibility that stop the China route might help AF/KL financially).
 
WIederling
Posts: 9431
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:39 am

qf789 wrote:
2 Kalitta Air 747’s have departed WUH heading back to the US

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/statu ... 97568?s=21


Probably the best way to spread the virus?
Hastily extracting foreigners from China's infection center ?

Germany brought home ~120 persons by way of an A310 MRTT flight.
All without detectable infection. Brought into quarantine here.

First 2 now show signs of infection ( hospitalized under extended quarantine.)
Murphy is an optimist
 
crazy
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:40 am

At Rome "Leonardo Da Vinci" a thermal scanner is working: for all the flights landing at Rome FCO, from all over the world and not only China, all the passengers must walk along eleven "health corridors" and their temperature will be checked with thermal scanner.
If there are passengers with temperature over 37,5 °C they are isolated, checked for Coronavirus and, eventually, quarantined.
Of course all traffic has slowed down.
 
T4thH
Posts: 1102
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:47 am

Airbus has stopped the production in China. The A320 line in Tianjin is closed, employees shall work (if possible) homebased.
Source in German:
https://www.n-tv.de/wirtschaft/Airbus-stoppt-Jet-Produktion-in-China-article21556205.html

Official Airbus statement:
https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-r ... t-all_ml_0
 
xorrygva
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:48 am

chonetsao wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:
And yet Air France KLM shares gained 3.5% yesterday, despite the dozen of flights scrapped and risk of an outbreak in France.
It looks like markets are being manipulated (ie pumped with cash) in China but also Europe.
It's also suspicious that France hasn't announced any new cases, I wonder what was said during that G7 conference call.
A dozen of widebodies without work is a 9-digit impact on AF-KLM.


You are looking at the wrong angle. Think this way, if AF/KL is running a loss on its China route, now they need to cancel, maybe that means AF/KL will not have any loss for this quarter. I know I am speculating without any foundation. But, what I am trying to say is that maybe the market knows something (i.e. the possibility that stop the China route might help AF/KL financially).


This gain in share price could also be explained by the decreasing oil price. That might help AFKL and other airlines, possibly more than compensating losses on Chinese operations.
 
crazy
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:52 am

Cathay Pacific "asked" to all their employees of Wuhan province to take at least 15 days of unpaid holidays.
It is clearly a way to quarantine the employees.
 
crazy
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:56 am

A news of few hours ago: the two Chinese tourists here in Rome, infected by Coronavirus, are in very serious conditions and they can breathe just thanks to the automatic respirator. They are admitted to the intensive care unit.
The 56 Italians repatriated from Wuhan are in good conditions; it seems there are two doubtful Coronavirus infection in Verona and Livorno.
 
chonetsao
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:55 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:08 am

xorrygva wrote:
chonetsao wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:
And yet Air France KLM shares gained 3.5% yesterday, despite the dozen of flights scrapped and risk of an outbreak in France.
It looks like markets are being manipulated (ie pumped with cash) in China but also Europe.
It's also suspicious that France hasn't announced any new cases, I wonder what was said during that G7 conference call.
A dozen of widebodies without work is a 9-digit impact on AF-KLM.


You are looking at the wrong angle. Think this way, if AF/KL is running a loss on its China route, now they need to cancel, maybe that means AF/KL will not have any loss for this quarter. I know I am speculating without any foundation. But, what I am trying to say is that maybe the market knows something (i.e. the possibility that stop the China route might help AF/KL financially).


This gain in share price could also be explained by the decreasing oil price. That might help AFKL and other airlines, possibly more than compensating losses on Chinese operations.


Yes that could be the reason as well!
 
TMccrury
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:24 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:24 am

My pastor is leading a missions trip to the Philippines in March. There is like 24 of them going. They have been informed their flights are cancelled as they were going through Beijing. Now, they are scrambling trying to find alternate flights with that many seats open to get folks there. All due to this Coronavirus.
 
AngelsDecay
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:19 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:41 am

Does anyone knows if Turkish THY keeps all China flights without any change?
"Well be thy one,
and wisdom too.
And grew, and joyed in my growth.
From a word to a word, I was lead to a Wyrd.
From a deed, to another deed."
 
Waterbomber2
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:44 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:45 am

We have a topic for that in the non-aviation forum. Welcome to join there and discuss.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 15279
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:09 am

blandy62 wrote:
I am no doctor, but it seems that nobody is really able to tell if mask protect you or not. That's true. But if people can really spread the virus before showing any signs and wearing a can prevent people of spreading it, as you mentioned, it seems that this is still the best protection.


Infectious disease specialist will tell you that surgical masks will not protect you, they are designed to protect the patient from the doctor. Designed for short term use, designed to be disposed of after a procedure.

You would need a N95 mask, and be trained to use it correctly or have it fitted to be effective. That is the sort of mask you will see forensic people wearing at a air crash site.

The most important preventative measure is good hand hygiene, washing before eating, before touching your eyes, ears, nose, or mouth.

If you are sick, stay home. Wearing a mask will not prevent others from getting infected. My observation is unlike a surgical setting where the mask and gloves are removed at the end of the procedure, people are wearing the mask all day, put it down on a table when eating, fo not wash their hands after touching it.

qf789 wrote:
2 Kalitta Air 747’s have departed WUH heading back to the US

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/statu ... 97568?s=21


I hope they brought medical supplies inbound. The US has been getting bad press as they have not “donated” much needed medical supplies on the inbound evacuation flights.

I didn’t like the tone of the remarks, it had a sense of entitlement associated with it.

They praised the warm Japanese people for their donations.

Normal governments would either officially request or purchase the items, and not expect them for free.

crazy wrote:
Cathay Pacific "asked" to all their employees of Wuhan province to take at least 15 days of unpaid holidays.
It is clearly a way to quarantine the employees.


All employees have been asked today to take 3 weeks unpaid leave, this is similar to the response to the GFC downturn.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
Waterbomber2
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:44 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:14 am

Indeed Zeke, Cathay Pacific has asked 27.000 employees to take 3 weeks of unpaid leave.

This is unprecedented and far worse than GFC.

http://www.chinadailyhk.com/article/120217


In the meanwhile, Air France KLM is up 5%.
What is going on?
 
User avatar
Finn350
Posts: 1601
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:57 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:06 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
And yet Air France KLM shares gained 3.5% yesterday, despite the dozen of flights scrapped and risk of an outbreak in France.
It looks like markets are being manipulated (ie pumped with cash) in China but also Europe.
It's also suspicious that France hasn't announced any new cases, I wonder what was said during that G7 conference call.
A dozen of widebodies without work is a 9-digit impact on AF-KLM.


It is up compared to the yesterday’s quote as the worst fears have not materialized. It is still down compared to the quote before the outbreak.
 
n92r03
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:20 pm

It looks like Kalitta (N713CK) was WUH-RIV but is diverting now to Travis AFB (SUU).
 
User avatar
KVH68
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:09 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:36 pm

n92r03 wrote:
It looks like Kalitta (N713CK) was WUH-RIV but is diverting now to Travis AFB (SUU).


The airplane is being refueled at Travis. It will then fly to Miramar.
 
art
Posts: 3574
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:46 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:42 pm

I do not know how much Chinese content there is in western-manufactured (Airbus, Boeing, Bombardier, Embraer) airliners but supply of any Chinese content is likely to be delayed or to disappear for a time. If any such content is sole-sourced from China I would expect western airliner production to take a hit.

Anyone know which western manufacturers incorporate components from China, if any?
 
n92r03
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:44 pm

KVH68 wrote:
n92r03 wrote:
It looks like Kalitta (N713CK) was WUH-RIV but is diverting now to Travis AFB (SUU).


The airplane is being refueled at Travis. It will then fly to Miramar.


Looks like both Kalitta flights (373 and 375) diverted to Travis. Miramar? I thought they were going to Riverside...
 
1989worstyear
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:48 pm

crazy wrote:
At Rome "Leonardo Da Vinci" a thermal scanner is working: for all the flights landing at Rome FCO, from all over the world and not only China, all the passengers must walk along eleven "health corridors" and their temperature will be checked with thermal scanner.
If there are passengers with temperature over 37,5 °C they are isolated, checked for Coronavirus and, eventually, quarantined.
Of course all traffic has slowed down.


Even transatlantic and European traffic to/from Italy?
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...
 
User avatar
KVH68
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:09 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:53 pm

n92r03 wrote:
KVH68 wrote:
n92r03 wrote:
It looks like Kalitta (N713CK) was WUH-RIV but is diverting now to Travis AFB (SUU).


The airplane is being refueled at Travis. It will then fly to Miramar.


Looks like both Kalitta flights (373 and 375) diverted to Travis. Miramar? I thought they were going to Riverside...


Travis and Miramar are the two new quarantine locations.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 3568
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:19 pm

LAXintl wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
Looks like CX is suspending HKG-EWR for a while. Flights seem to be zeroed out and new bookings seem to connect via ORD.

I'm taking CX on 14-21 March IAD-HKG-SIN-HKG-IAD, so I am hoping for the best in regards to CX US operations.


Makes sense with their announced 30% global capacity cut.

LAX will be losing 1 of 3 daily flights from mid-February with a second flight also getting the axe in March on many dates.

Looking bleak


Full details...
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... t-05feb20/

For North America:
LAX: 3->2 daily
EWR: Cancelled
YYZ: 10/wk -> 7/wk.

Looks like they'll also end YVR-JFK earlier than planned.

I also wonder whether they'll further cut the mainland flights as the HK govt is (finally) imposing a 14-day forced quarantine measure for anyone coming from mainland China.

art wrote:
I do not know how much Chinese content there is in western-manufactured (Airbus, Boeing, Bombardier, Embraer) airliners but supply of any Chinese content is likely to be delayed or to disappear for a time. If any such content is sole-sourced from China I would expect western airliner production to take a hit.


There's Airbus' Tianjin FAL that's suspending operations, although the impact of that is probably slowing delivery of A320 to APAC region which is offset by the fact that demand in the region will be down.
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 2490
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:07 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
Indeed Zeke, Cathay Pacific has asked 27.000 employees to take 3 weeks of unpaid leave.

This is unprecedented and far worse than GFC.

http://www.chinadailyhk.com/article/120217



How can CX survive this? And why should employees take up the offer? Maybe better to find a new job...
 
User avatar
calstanford
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:16 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:20 pm

Cathay has been suffering for years. Absolute shit management getting into the worst fuel 'hedging' on the planet drained resources as the market was booming, bad management of the protests didn't help and 2019-nCov is giving CX the rest.
Wouldn't be surprised if Swire got out and Air China took over. A long long dream from up north anyway.
 
AC333
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:31 pm

I've searched high and low for any information regarding what airline/aircraft the Canadian government is using to evacuate Canadian citizens, but I've come up short. Does anybody have this information?

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2020/02/05 ... n-delayed/
 
Clackers
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:19 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:40 pm

What is the situation with Singapore Airlines?

I would imagine they keep flights to the likes of Beijing, Tianjin, and Qingdao, but why haven't they suspended all other destinations yet?
 
blooc350
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:45 pm

Clackers wrote:
What is the situation with Singapore Airlines?

I would imagine they keep flights to the likes of Beijing, Tianjin, and Qingdao, but why haven't they suspended all other destinations yet?


No overnight stays for SQ Tech and Cabin Crew. They are to PAX back to SIN after operating the flight.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 3568
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:15 pm

Clackers wrote:
What is the situation with Singapore Airlines?

I would imagine they keep flights to the likes of Beijing, Tianjin, and Qingdao, but why haven't they suspended all other destinations yet?


Huh? SQ (and MI) doesn't even fly to TSN nor TAO.

You mean PEK (Down to 1 (2 on some day) daily from 3) and PVG (Down to 1 daily from 4)? CAN is also only operating sub-daily for now.

MI seems to be canning most of their flights also, as is TR (Scoot).

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pdf/ ... 0_1634.pdf
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-01feb20/

The thing is, there still needs to be SOME capacity to/from mainland China despite the banned of entry into Singapore for any Chinese nationals. SQ is doing what many airlines in the region are doing - operating a barebone schedule and only to the largest ports (PEK and PVG).

calstanford wrote:
Wouldn't be surprised if Swire got out and Air China took over. A long long dream from up north anyway.


What's with people speculating this all the time anyway?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos