Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

calstanford

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:28 pm

calstanford wrote:
Wouldn't be surprised if Swire got out and Air China took over. A long long dream from up north anyway.

What's with people speculating this all the time anyway?[/quote]

Geopolitics of the region.

BML87

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:32 pm

AC333 wrote:
I've searched high and low for any information regarding what airline/aircraft the Canadian government is using to evacuate Canadian citizens, but I've come up short. Does anybody have this information?

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2020/02/05 ... n-delayed/

Heard on the news last night it's a hifly plane, not sure which type.

SCQ83

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:32 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:
Indeed Zeke, Cathay Pacific has asked 27.000 employees to take 3 weeks of unpaid leave.

This is unprecedented and far worse than GFC.

http://www.chinadailyhk.com/article/120217

How can CX survive this? And why should employees take up the offer? Maybe better to find a new job...

Aren't Hong Kong work regulations like ultra-liberal? Like they can't sack you anytime for no reason? So they are not probably "asking" those employees, but telling them they will not be paid for 3 weeks and will not go to work.

ITSTours

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:44 pm

greenair727 wrote:
Korean Air and Asiana are still flying into China---just a one stop in Seoul connecting the US and China. I wonder if the authorities in the US screen inbound pax from these flights. Anybody know?

A foreign national departing China would not be admitted to US anyway (unless they stopover in Korea for 14 days), so I think the check-in agent will not issue the boarding pass.

DDR

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:27 pm

Just ban all flights into/out of China, including Hong Kong until this thing is over.

johnclipper

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:45 pm

"How can CX survive this? And why should employees take up the offer? Maybe better to find a new job...

Aren't Hong Kong work regulations like ultra-liberal? Like they can't sack you anytime for no reason? So they are not probably "asking" those employees, but telling them they will not be paid for 3 weeks and will not go to work."

I think you mean ultra-conservative. HK employment law always favors the employer. Even worse than the U.S. and the opposite side of the spectrum from Europe.
"Flown every aircraft since the Wright Flyer" (guys, if you take this literally, then you need to get a life...)

oldJoe

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:48 pm

DDR wrote:
Just ban all flights into/out of China, including Hong Kong until this thing is over.

and it will cripple the worldwide economy

DDR

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:51 pm

oldJoe wrote:
DDR wrote:

Uh, no it won't. Most goods from China are transported via cargo ships, not air travel.

cjg225

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:26 pm

DDR wrote:
Uh, no it won't. Most goods from China are transported via cargo ships, not air travel.

Welllllll........

By volume, yes. But by value, air cargo carries a LOT out of China.

The charter market is blowing up right now because of the cratering of belly cargo space.

Bigger concerns will be how long factory output is muted because of the mandatory extensions of LNY furloughs.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

runway23

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:26 pm

DDR wrote:
oldJoe wrote:
DDR wrote:

Problem is the ships are now going empty for the most part. Most of the shipping lines haven't cut back on capacity but could very well do so soon.

cjg225

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:45 pm

runway23 wrote:
Problem is the ships are now going empty for the most part. Most of the shipping lines haven't cut back on capacity but could very well do so soon.

"Now" is stretching it a bit.

The ships leaving China now would've been mostly empty had this crisis popped up or not, Had LNY ended this week, vessels would have... not really anything to carry because factories have been shut down for LNY. Every year, load factors crater during and for a couple weeks following LNY.

If factories don't really start to get back online a bit in the next week or so, THEN vessels will start going empty without an annual event to explain it.

And capacity has been cut artificially for many weeks anyway because of the continued conversion to IMO 2020 fuel and/or installation of scrubbers.

Finally, if factories do start up late, you'll see the charter market go through the ROOF as companies have to put huge amounts of cargo on airplanes to catch up. So, will this eventually start to impact the ocean freight market? Yes, but we don't know how much Anything now is completely expected because of the typical LNY lull.

USAirALB

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Looks like CX has suspended IAD as well.

My IAD-HKG flight appears "confirmed" in the manage booking portal but I cannot make any new reservations ex IAD on CX nonstop. Everything appears to route over LAX/SFO.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

qf789

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:03 am

KE5 ICN-LAS diverted to LAX with 3 passengers suspected of having Coronavirus

https://twitter.com/airportwebcams/stat ... 93185?s=21
Forum Moderator

zkncj

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:19 am

DDR wrote:
oldJoe wrote:
DDR wrote:

While the masses of goods are transported by ship, there is still an massive amount of air freight out of China a day and also inbound air freight eg fresh fruit, meat, dairy products which are all time sensitive.

At work we will often get products airfreight from China, when purchasing items online.

greenair727

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:30 am

ITSTours wrote:
greenair727 wrote:
Korean Air and Asiana are still flying into China---just a one stop in Seoul connecting the US and China. I wonder if the authorities in the US screen inbound pax from these flights. Anybody know?

A foreign national departing China would not be admitted to US anyway (unless they stopover in Korea for 14 days), so I think the check-in agent will not issue the boarding pass.

I was referring to ANY pax, not just foreign nationals---and it seems like its a real issue now. Not sure if everyone was going to be screened at LAS or not had this incident not happened. I assume--and hope---they they will now. But the US can't quarentine these pax can they?

#KE5 Seoul to Las Vegas (Boeing 777-300ER HL7784) diverted to LAX Los Angeles at 1430PST (2230UTC) today to offload three passengers who had been to China within the last 14 days & may have been exposed.

https://www.ktnv.com/news/3-korean-air- ... os-angeles

dampfnudel

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:58 am

greenair727 wrote:
ITSTours wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

I was referring to ANY pax, not just foreign nationals---and it seems like its a real issue now. Not sure if everyone was going to be screened at LAS or not had this incident not happened. I assume--and hope---they they will now. But the US can't quarentine these pax can they?

#KE5 Seoul to Las Vegas (Boeing 777-300ER HL7784) diverted to LAX Los Angeles at 1430PST (2230UTC) today to offload three passengers who had been to China within the last 14 days & may have been exposed.

https://www.ktnv.com/news/3-korean-air- ... os-angeles

What will happen to the other passengers as well as the crew who may have been exposed to these three passengers. I don’t think it would be wise to let them continue on to Las Vegas.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

Myriad

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:02 am

Nice video of Kalitta 744 landing at MCAS Miramar.
You can see the newly arrived F-35s on the apron.
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/ ... r/2257458/

leleko747

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:08 am

Not sure if posted before:

Brazilian Air Force sent two Embraer 190 (VC-2 FAB2590, 2591) to Wuhan, to pick up Brazilian citizens in there.
Route: BSB-FOR-LPA-WAW-URC-WUH

A quarantine zone have been established in Anápolis Air Base (near Brasília), where the flights will land and passengers will be examined.
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

zakuivcustom

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:27 am

leleko747 wrote:

Brazilian Air Force sent two Embraer 190 (VC-2 FAB2590, 2591) to Wuhan, to pick up Brazilian citizens in there.

A quarantine zone have been established in Anápolis Air Base (near Brasília), where the flights will land and passengers will be examined.

This almost feels like a delivery flight for a E190 customer in China :).

DDR wrote:

Which will do absolutely nothing?

Plus you realized that there are more cases in Singapore, Japan, and Thailand than Hong Kong, right? Perhaps stop flights to/from those places also?

qf789

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:33 am

Virgin Australia to end HKG flights on 2 March

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... ng-flights
Forum Moderator

zakuivcustom

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:39 am

qf789 wrote:

Can't blame them. The protest reduce local demand, and the virus basically kill any beyond connection (mainly to mainland) on, let say, HX.

I wonder if VA will put those A332 back on PER-SYD/MEL.

qf789

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:44 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Can't blame them. The protest reduce local demand, and the virus basically kill any beyond connection (mainly to mainland) on, let say, HX.

Yes they are going back on trans con
Forum Moderator

itsasmallworld

Why are China-US evacuees on cargo planes?

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:50 am

Does anyone know why the evacuee flights fleeing the coronavirus from China/Wuhan to the US are all on Cargo planes?

I find it hard to believe they can’t use a passenger plane when countless continue to leave and fly around China on regular commercial flights. But maybe I am wrong.

qf789

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:12 am

Qantas has sacked an employee after they refused to clean an aircraft after it arrived from Beijing. The employee cited concerns around Coronavirus and refused to clean the aircraft as a result

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... 29a90d4956
Forum Moderator

dampfnudel

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:23 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
qf789 wrote:

There were rumors of VA ending service to HKG months ago and it had more to do with cost-cutting than the protests. I guess this pandemic was the final straw for VA. If the situation gets worse and all APAC flights are negatively affected, the rumors of another possible cost-cutting measure, dropping LAX, may become reality.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

Jouhou

Re: Why are China-US evacuees on cargo planes?

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:30 am

itsasmallworld wrote:
Does anyone know why the evacuee flights fleeing the coronavirus from China/Wuhan to the US are all on Cargo planes?

I find it hard to believe they can’t use a passenger plane when countless continue to leave and fly around China on regular commercial flights. But maybe I am wrong.

I bet they're easier to clean/sterilize with less fabrics and whatnot.
情報

MAH4546

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:39 am

dampfnudel wrote:
I just noticed on FR24 a China Southern Airlines flight landing at JFK from CAN. Is it coming in empty to pick up Chinese citizens?

Chinese airlines are still operating scheduled flights between the States and China.
a.

qf789

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:46 am

dampfnudel wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
qf789 wrote:

There were rumors of VA ending service to HKG months ago and it had more to do with cost-cutting than the protests. I guess this pandemic was the final straw for VA. If the situation gets worse and all APAC flights are negatively affected, the rumors of another possible cost-cutting measure, dropping LAX, may become reality.

VA was due to end MEL-HKG this week. Due to the fact that their partner being HX has struggled recently in comes to no surprise that VA has cancelled SYD-HKG. VA's LAX flights are doing fine, all routes were put up under review and where the international side of the business is concerned the losses stemmed from HKG and more the short haul international flying, VA do rather well on their LAX flights
Forum Moderator

zeke

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:39 am

qf789 wrote:
Qantas has sacked an employee after they refused to clean an aircraft after it arrived from Beijing. The employee cited concerns around Coronavirus and refused to clean the aircraft as a result

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... 29a90d4956

I am disappointed at the QF response to this. QF have always in public anyway puts safety first, the worker cited safety grounds.

The amount of fake news that is going around regarding this virus is not helping.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

FlyingElvii

Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:37 am

cjg225 wrote:
DDR wrote:

Welllllll........

By volume, yes. But by value, air cargo carries a LOT out of China.

The charter market is blowing up right now because of the cratering of belly cargo space.

Bigger concerns will be how long factory output is muted because of the mandatory extensions of LNY furloughs.

There is going to nothing coming out of China for quite a while. The time to stop all flights to affected countries is right now.

FlyingElvii

Re: Why are China-US evacuees on cargo planes?

Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:43 am

itsasmallworld wrote:

Kalitta Cattle Haulers...
The perfect plane for this type of an op. And you can bet that Kalitta is charging top dollar for the service. Special floors and interior designed to prevent leakage, that can be easily cleaned, and separate ventilation for the upper deck.

Cattle Urine and such does horrible things to aluminum, so it is designed to prevent that. Never worked one, but I have smelled one from a mile away across a hot ramp.

zeke

Re: Wuhan airport close due to virus outbreak

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:38 am

Aceskywalker wrote:
Anyone know what's the reg on that American evac plane? No N registered planes leaving/departing WUH or on the ground per FR24

According to another thread on this subject ANA is operating JA607A and JA614A on behalf of Japan's evac flights.

The Kallita Air 747-400F, N705CK has been used.

Sam Chui has been tracking how various countries have been performing this role, see this link

https://samchui.com/2020/01/31/countrie ... jvreCURXDs
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Clackers

Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:47 am

leleko747 wrote:

What a weird route. Never had a Caribbean to Poland flight before.

cjg225

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:32 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
There is going to nothing coming out of China for quite a while. The time to stop all flights to affected countries is right now.

Short of the world quarantining China, that's not really the case. There absolutely will be cargo flowing into and out of China going forward. China is a big country. There are areas of the country that aren't projected, as of right now, to be on much of a lockdown (or are already sort of back in operation). Cargo is flowing in and out of the country.

I'm on with Top 5 air freight forwarders multiple times per day discussing the situation. Demand is rapidly outstripping supply. As I said before, the fact that belly cargo space has disappeared doesn't mean demand has disappeared, both inbound and outbound.

leleko747

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:49 pm

Clackers wrote:

No Caribbean involved here... :boggled:
From Fortaleza, the planes landed at Las Palmas, right after crossing the Atlantic.
Las Palmas is frequently used as a fuel stop by Brazilian Air Force planes on transatlantic trips.

and I guess i've seen TUI and LOT performing flights from WAW to Caribbean destinations before??? Of course, leisure flights, not related to Coronavirus outbreak situation.
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

jayunited

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:17 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
dampfnudel wrote:
I just noticed on FR24 a China Southern Airlines flight landing at JFK from CAN. Is it coming in empty to pick up Chinese citizens?

Chinese airlines are still operating scheduled flights between the States and China.

According to an article on Samchui.com the CAAC has suggested that Chinese carriers maintain all current international routes. The only exception or routes that can be suspended are routes that Chinese carriers are forced to cancel do to local restrictions put in place by the destination country.

https://samchui.com/2020/02/04/air-chin ... jwVDFdKibg

sassiciai

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:19 pm

I was working at Changi airport in 2003 from February onwards,and recall the sight of a growing number of SIA aircraft withdrawn from service and parked in rows in the area leading to the Cargo and SIAEC area. It was a very visual reminder of the impact SARS was having at that time. [On a not-connected note, I also recall the scenes at Brussels Airport immediately following the collapse of Sabena, with the vast majority of the fleet parked up all around BRU but off-gate, a very sad sight]

I wonder if our contributors in the areas most affected todate can tell us of any buildup of aircraft withdrawn from service happening at airports in the region. If Cathay is reducing by 30%, that must lead to approx 30% of its fleet not being required at present. The situation with Chinese airlines will be even more grave. AirAsia has been mentioned as being hard hit, where would WFU aircraft be stored?

Thanks to all who are able to update us on this aspect of the impact. Any photos would be much appreciated!

FlyingSicilian

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:30 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
dampfnudel wrote:

Some, not all.

And Air China have asked DoT for emergency permission to suspend most flights. My understanding so far is only LAX with a SFO tag on and NYC with a IAD tag on.

They are suspending Houston and by extension Panama City, Panama and their other four US flights and only going with two moving forward.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

zeke

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:23 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Any idea why CX is charging such a crazy price for ticket, though? Or are those HK-US flights really filled up?

I don’t know the authoritative answer, but I would start by looking to see if CA/MU/CZ/AA/UA have dropped freight capacity on the route.

cjg225

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:26 pm

zeke wrote:
I don’t know the authoritative answer, but I would start by looking to see if CA/MU/CZ/AA/UA have dropped freight capacity on the route.

I know at least CA is still running freighter service as normal from the US as of right now.

Clackers

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:28 pm

leleko747 wrote:
Clackers wrote:

No Caribbean involved here... :boggled:
From Fortaleza, the planes landed at Las Palmas, right after crossing the Atlantic.
Las Palmas is frequently used as a fuel stop by Brazilian Air Force planes on transatlantic trips.

and I guess i've seen TUI and LOT performing flights from WAW to Caribbean destinations before??? Of course, leisure flights, not related to Coronavirus outbreak situation.

Sorry, I got Gran Canaria and Grand Cayman mixed up. :D

Still a lot of stops for an Embraer. Didn't the Brazilian Air Force have any larger aircraft?

zeke

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:33 pm

cjg225 wrote:
I know at least CA is still running freighter service as normal from the US as of right now.

I think they have cut back on passenger flights, belly freight is the forgotten consequence of reducing passenger services. CX/CA have a cross ownership structure, as a 49% shareholder of Air China Cargo maybe CX is providing some belly capacity for them.

I do t know fir sure haven’t asked anyone, just what came to mind.

cjg225

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:44 pm

zeke wrote:
I think they have cut back on passenger flights, belly freight is the forgotten consequence of reducing passenger services. CX/CA have a cross ownership structure, as a 49% shareholder of Air China Cargo maybe CX is providing some belly capacity for them.

I do t know fir sure haven’t asked anyone, just what came to mind.

That's interesting. Didn't know that about the ownership.

Yes, I saw a few pages back about the CA filing to the DOT to consolidate some routes, effectively reducing capacity for a period of time. We've got material on a CA freighter flight this weekend from JFK, which is fairly normal, so that's why my impression is that they're not reducing a huge amount of capacity between the US and China.

Kno

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:58 pm

Does anyone have details on the dates that Air China is reducing flights?

I have plans to fly them on March 27th to Japan and back on April 6th - now they have adjusted the schedule so the flights do not work for me.

Looking at the following week, they have the full schedule to JFK bookable as of now. I'm debating pushing the trip back one week and going forward with my original itinerary. Of course, this all could become worse by then and the trip will have to be cancelled all together.

cjg225

Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:06 pm

Kno wrote:
Does anyone have details on the dates that Air China is reducing flights?

I have plans to fly them on March 27th to Japan and back on April 6th - now they have adjusted the schedule so the flights do not work for me.

Looking at the following week, they have the full schedule to JFK bookable as of now. I'm debating pushing the trip back one week and going forward with my original itinerary. Of course, this all could become worse by then and the trip will have to be cancelled all together.

According to this, next week: https://thepointsguy.com/news/air-china ... ronavirus/

janders

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:29 pm

:old:

As a reminder, this thread should contain only aviation related discussions.

Any broader discussion about China, medical updates, politics, etc should be in the Non-Av Coronavirus thread which can be found at viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1438989

Thank you for your cooperation.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

AC333

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:59 pm

I'm still looking for the aircraft/airline operating the Wuhan to Canada rescue flight. CTV news reporting the flight will depart WUH to CFB Trenton with a fuel stop at YVR. FR24 shows a Kalitta 744 departing around the same time, but i believe that is a US rescue flight:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/k4379

I just found this picture reportedly showing the rescue aircraft at the gate in WUH:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/evacuatio ... -1.4799880

Sorry, I am not sure how to post the photo itself, the image is at the bottom of the page. Are any sleuths out there able to identify the ship from that photo?

Thanks,

zakuivcustom

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:03 pm

https://www.hkexpress.com/en-hk/your-tr ... ce-febmar/

HKExpress is cancelling some flights to/from Japan and South Korea.

Doesn't seems like there is a pattern, though.

KirkSeattle

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:09 pm

AC333 wrote:
I'm still looking for the aircraft/airline operating the Wuhan to Canada rescue flight. CTV news reporting the flight will depart WUH to CFB Trenton with a fuel stop at YVR. FR24 shows a Kalitta 744 departing around the same time, but i believe that is a US rescue flight:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/k4379

I just found this picture reportedly showing the rescue aircraft at the gate in WUH:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/evacuatio ... -1.4799880

Sorry, I am not sure how to post the photo itself, the image is at the bottom of the page. Are any sleuths out there able to identify the ship from that photo?

Thanks,

K4379 has a destination of YVR based on FR24. The US Flight is K4377 with a destination of SUU - Travis AFB. Both have a departure time of 3:10am. The previous US rescue flights did not depart on-time, if I recall correctly.

peterinlisbon

Re: SFO-PEK/PVG Chinese loads appear to drop

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:37 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
I really do not think air service between the U.S. will stop. It did not stop during SARS, which was much worse.

It stopped. And Coronavirus has now killed more people than SARS.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos