Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyHappy

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:28 am

ShanghaiNoon wrote:
acomp wrote:
ShanghaiNoon wrote:
I arrived in SFO last night. The immigration official asked me if I'd been to China in the last two weeks but he didn't check my stamps.

Holy hell that is the slowest immigration facility I've ever used. I went to SFO's website and filled out a complaint form. They replied and blamed the wait time on the virus, which is ludicrous because it should be shorter without any flights from China arriving.

Travelers who visited China in the last 14 days can still arrive at US airports even without nonstop flights.
SFO and CDC are doing their job perfectly.

I'm not American, so no, I wouldn't have been allowed. SFO is doing its job terribly. It's the slowest immigration falicity I've ever used. This is a really bad first impression for the country.

acomp did not say if you would be allowed or not. It's that travelers who've visited China recently can still arrive via intermediate stop, which is not the same thing. Thats what is being referenced with respect to wait time, real or not.

qf789

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:33 am

About two dozen aircraft parked at HKG, see video below

https://twitter.com/DonBlock7/status/12 ... 68515?s=20
Forum Moderator

zeke

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:11 am

Hong King airlines terminates 19% of their pilots as a result of weaker demand.

Source

Hong Kong Airlines (HX, Hong Kong Int'l) will cut 400 jobs, or 10% of its workforce, it announced on February 7 as the coronavirus outbreak heaps rapidly weakening demand on top of the carrier's already grave financial troubles”

From https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... m-82-to-30

I also hear all contract pilots in China have either been terminated or put on unpaid leave. I don’t have a source to share for that.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

DDR

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:49 am

ShanghaiNoon wrote:
acomp wrote:
ShanghaiNoon wrote:
I arrived in SFO last night. The immigration official asked me if I'd been to China in the last two weeks but he didn't check my stamps.

Holy hell that is the slowest immigration facility I've ever used. I went to SFO's website and filled out a complaint form. They replied and blamed the wait time on the virus, which is ludicrous because it should be shorter without any flights from China arriving.

Travelers who visited China in the last 14 days can still arrive at US airports even without nonstop flights.

I'm not American, so no, I wouldn't have been allowed. SFO is doing its job terribly. It's the slowest immigration falicity I've ever used. This is a really bad first impression for the country.

Here is a solution, don’t come back to the USA if it is such a problem for you to wait in a line. You went online and filed a complaint during an epidemic?
LOL.

hayzel777

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:57 pm

You can see the effects of the China cancellations at SFO too. Flew out on Sunday and there were UA 777s stacked by the Super Hangar.

zakuivcustom

Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:33 pm

zeke wrote:
Hong King airlines terminates 19% of their pilots as a result of weaker demand.

Source

Hong Kong Airlines (HX, Hong Kong Int'l) will cut 400 jobs, or 10% of its workforce, it announced on February 7 as the coronavirus outbreak heaps rapidly weakening demand on top of the carrier's already grave financial troubles”

From https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... m-82-to-30

I also hear all contract pilots in China have either been terminated or put on unpaid leave. I don’t have a source to share for that.

They were already planning to layoff ~200 employees in early January anyway, and this was before the coronavirus really throw the aviation demand down the drain
https://www.todayonline.com/world/hundr ... tay-afloat

IIRC they were slashing their fleets from 38 planes to ~25, which is a ~30% decrease. Makes sense that they're now laying off ~20% of their pilots.

PixelPilot

Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:55 pm

I wonder if or rather how all of this will affect the second hand airframe market.
If this continues and staff gets fired like it's already happening we might have some birds that need new home.
Considering max shortages due to the grounding many might see this as an opportunity.
Just a thought

crjflyboy

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:21 pm

AA just cancelled all flights to China and HKG thru April 24th now

chonetsao

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:22 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
AA just cancelled all flights to China and HKG thru April 24th now

See Page 18 post number #896. Already posted YESTERDAY, 20 hours ago.

mercure1

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:44 pm

Korean collegue informs be that Korean airlines taking steps to deal with reduced demand.

> Asiana offering cabin crew 15 days unpaid leave
> Korean Air expanding its voluntary retirement plan
> Jeju Air offers 1-month unpaid leave
mercure f-wtcc

qf789

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:02 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Korean collegue informs be that Korean airlines taking steps to deal with reduced demand.

> Asiana offering cabin crew 15 days unpaid leave
> Korean Air expanding its voluntary retirement plan
> Jeju Air offers 1-month unpaid leave

Apparently Jeju Air has also parked 20 of its 45 aircraft
Forum Moderator

gunnerman

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:56 pm

BA has cancelled tomorrow's (13 February) BA31 from LHR to HKG, this is a 297-seat 777-300ER. As availability has been zeroed out on future flights it looks a certainty that more cancellations will follow for the foreseeable future. BA still operates the daily BA27 on this route, a 469-seat 388 with no shortage of seat availability on every flight.

ShanghaiNoon

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:37 pm

DDR wrote:
ShanghaiNoon wrote:
acomp wrote:

Here is a solution, don’t come back to the USA if it is such a problem for you to wait in a line. You went online and filed a complaint during an epidemic?
LOL.

Yes, I did, because I don't buy that the epidemic had nothing to do with it. That's just what they spun me. I traveled all over Southeast Asia where they also have health screening the last three weeks and didn't encounter anything close to that. Even Phuket at Christmas time was better.

panamair

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:05 pm

gunnerman wrote:
BA has cancelled tomorrow's (13 February) BA31 from LHR to HKG, this is a 297-seat 777-300ER. As availability has been zeroed out on future flights it looks a certainty that more cancellations will follow for the foreseeable future. BA still operates the daily BA27 on this route, a 469-seat 388 with no shortage of seat availability on every flight.

BA31 LHR-HKG and the return BA32 have been cancelled from tomorrow on until April 20. However with the Summer schedule coming in at the end of March, the aircraft type switches such that the 77W flight operates between end of March and April 20 while the A388 is cancelled; however that may change of course.

MRYapproach

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:10 pm

qf789 wrote:
Over 70 exhibitors have pulled out of the Singapore Air Show due to Coronavirus

https://www.reuters.com/article/singapo ... SL4N2A902E

Taipei Bike Show was cancelled yesterday. Was scheduled for early March. A combination of Chinese visitors unable to attend due to travel bans, and pandemic phobia for the rest of us not local to Taiwan. Taiwan is the center of the bike industry, so cancelling this show will have repercussions.

I was heading to TPE next week for work but just yesterday I move it out to April.

MRYapproach

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:22 pm

qf789 wrote:

WOW. That is about a billion dollars of metal sitting on the tarmac. Going to be a lot of bankrupt companies after this is all over. Just think of the loss in terms of belly freight and you start shaving basis points from global GDP.

ASMVPGOLD

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:42 pm

Today GSMA announced it has also cancelled MWC in Barcelona at the end of Feb... MWC normally brings in over 100k people (many from Asia.) So a lot of those seats are now going to be empty (or the flights aren't even happening)

Side note... I flew out of ICN today on KE and it was an absolute ghost town, the terminal was pretty much empty.
721/2,732/3/4/5/7/8/9,741/2/3/4,752/3,762/3/4,772/3/LR,787,DC9/30/50/80/90,DC10,MD11,L1011,F100,319,320,321,332,333,380,CRJ,ERJ,DH8/2/4

LAXintl

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:33 am

United extends China cuts.

Flying suspension extended for PEK, CTU, PVG, HKG
As we continue to evaluate our operation between our U.S. hubs and Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai and Hong Kong, we have decided to extend the suspension of those flights until April 24. We will continue to monitor the situation in China and evaluate our schedule as we remain in close touch with the CDC and other public health experts around the globe.
For PEK, PVG, and HKG, westbound flights are expected to resume on April 24 from EWR, IAD, LAX, ORD, and SFO. For CTU, westbound flights are expected to resume on April 26 from SFO.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

lightsaber

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:51 am

MRYapproach wrote:
qf789 wrote:

WOW. That is about a billion dollars of metal sitting on the tarmac. Going to be a lot of bankrupt companies after this is all over. Just think of the loss in terms of belly freight and you start shaving basis points from global GDP.

With the reduction of flying within China, I wonder if global aviation is going to shrink.

Lightsaber
Flu+Covid19 is bad. Consider a flu vaccine, if not for yourself, to protect someone you care about.

lightsaber

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:52 am

zeke wrote:

That would be expected. News isn't plentiful out of China.

Lightsaber
Flu+Covid19 is bad. Consider a flu vaccine, if not for yourself, to protect someone you care about.

United787

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:13 am

So how is Cathay Pacific still allowed to fly to the US? Are there any mainland Chinese airlines still flying to the US?

1989worstyear

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:50 am

lightsaber wrote:
MRYapproach wrote:
qf789 wrote:

With the reduction of flying within China, I wonder if global aviation is going to shrink.

Lightsaber

It's already starting in other markets, especially with the recent cases in the UK. :cry:

This industry has no future. China did not learn it's lesson in 2003 so they'll probably introduce another meat-induced plague around 2035.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

zakuivcustom

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:20 am

United787 wrote:
So how is Cathay Pacific still allowed to fly to the US? Are there any mainland Chinese airlines still flying to the US?

Why can't CX fly to US? HK is not China when it comes to aviation anyway.

I can see CX further trimming their US flights, though, just bc demands are simply way down.

CA still fly to US, although only 7 flights per week left.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-08feb20/

peterinlisbon

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:39 am

MRYapproach wrote:
qf789 wrote:

If that´s what Hong Kong is like (which is the city in China that is least affected) imagine Beijing or Shanghai. I wonder if some of these spare aircraft could be used in other parts of the world to replace the MAX. Cathay Pacific could send half of its fleet to Iceland until the summer.

qf789

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:46 am

Qantas will reduce daily MEL-HKG and BNE-HKG to 5 weekly each, 789 operating mostly

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... takes-hold
Forum Moderator

DDR

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:30 am

United787 wrote:

There should be no flights from China or Hong Kong until this epidemic is contained and eradicated.

FCAFLYBOY

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:48 am

DDR wrote:
United787 wrote:

There should be no flights from China or Hong Kong until this epidemic is contained and eradicated.

I’m afraid the time for that to be an effective action has since been and gone. You’re probably as like to catch this almost anywhere that’s a big hub now.

32andBelow

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:02 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
United787 wrote:

Why can't CX fly to US? HK is not China when it comes to aviation anyway.

I can see CX further trimming their US flights, though, just bc demands are simply way down.

CA still fly to US, although only 7 flights per week left.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-08feb20/

I’ve seen China eastern flying through the airspace at my work. Overall over flights seem wayyyy down. Any data on how many freight flights are cancelled?

WIederling

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:28 am

DDR wrote:
LOL.

I've already seen a poster here offering to litigate the virus ( actually China for not delivering goods ).
Murphy is an optimist

qf789

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:38 pm

Could we please keep this thread related to aviation only, if you would like to discuss other matters relating to Coronavirus please take it to the thread in Non-Aviation
Forum Moderator

zakuivcustom

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:58 pm

zeke wrote:
The results are that good that I think international air travel restrictions into PEK, PVG, XMN, SZX, CAN will be relaxed (not fully) sooner than I anticipated, as long as the high speed rail link remains closed.

I think a lot of cancellation is purely base on the huge demand drop, though. Last time I checked the number (2 days ago) cancellation rate in PRC is still something like 30-40% (minimum...Zoedyn used to post daily updates but he didn't seems to do that for the past few days), and you're talking about domestic flights here.

The HSR network is somewhat Wuhan-centric, so it'll probably be awhile before that is fully reopen anyway.

Antaras

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:15 pm

Base on my observation, the number of passenger in SGN - the busiest airport in Vietnam - drops a half as comparison to the amount of pax at those days (after Lunar New Year) last year.
Moreover, about one third of int'l flights connect with SGN has been cancelled, mainly China mainland flights.
This was 3 weeks ago (when the epidemic was not that serious as this moment), in Vietjet's domestic check-in area in SGN. Still damn busy:
Cre: Mạnh Phong from baomoi.com

That same place, pic took yesterday:
Cre: Tâm Linh from vnexpress.net

The screen. Plenty of flights (mostly from China mainland) is cancelled:
Cre: Tâm Linh from vnexpress.net

A nice example of the negative impact of Covid-19 to the aviation industry.
P/s: Greta Thunberg should be happy :yes:
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

zeke

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:41 pm

DDR wrote:

China is about the same land size as the USA, the majority of the infected are already contained in Hubei province which is about the size of Missouri in central part China.

The number of infected people outside of Hubei province is very low, lower than some countries that continue to fly to the US, like Japan Korea, and Singapore. The main trade ports being SZX, CAN, XMN, PEK are physically separated by some distance from WUH. You need to be with about 3’ of someone to get infected, hence the reason there is no restriction on air freight from China.

This would be like saying close down LAX, SFO, SEA which are hundreds of miles away from MCI. Given how the number of new cases outside Hubei province is low, I think restricted air services with start from SZX, CAN, XMN, PEK in the coming weeks. They may want passengers to have been tested for the virus before traveling. It would also require other countries to amend current travel bans.

The virus will never be eradicated, it will take a vaccine to provide effective protection.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

AngelsDecay

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:38 pm

Airlines more exposed...and the "winner" is Air Macau and Cathay Dragon...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... E8zC7k6CUU
"Well be thy one,
and wisdom too.
And grew, and joyed in my growth.
From a word to a word, I was lead to a Wyrd.
From a deed, to another deed."

Speedalive

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:43 pm

Anybody know how this is affecting CX Cargo, CI Cargo, etc? Could there actually be an increase in cargo demand due to less belly freight capacity and the need to transport medical supplies to China?

zakuivcustom

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:07 pm

AngelsDecay wrote:
Airlines more exposed...and the "winner" is Air Macau and Cathay Dragon...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... E8zC7k6CUU

It's a LOT worse for Air Macau. As I posted way back:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... perations/

They're cancelling 90% of their flights.

Also, if you look at MFM tomorrow, there are only like 10 flights (if even that) out of ~130 daily flights that are actually flying.

NX itself is not totally doom - they're own by CA so you can expect a bailout.

As for KA - while KA has tons of cancellation, Cathay group overall is cancelling only ~30% of their flights. Not great, but not the end of the world either.

BTW, where is HX (Hong Kong Airlines) on that list? They are just as affected with a high percentage of their capacity going to mainland China.

acomp

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:23 pm

zeke wrote:
DDR wrote:

China is about the same land size as the USA, the majority of the infected are already contained in Hubei province which is about the size of Missouri in central part China.

The number of infected people outside of Hubei province is very low, lower than some countries that continue to fly to the US, like Japan Korea, and Singapore. The main trade ports being SZX, CAN, XMN, PEK are physically separated by some distance from WUH. You need to be with about 3’ of someone to get infected, hence the reason there is no restriction on air freight from China.

Most provinces in China (except Qinghai, Tibet, Ningxia, Inner Mongolia, and Jilin) have more than 100 infected people.
The number is way more than other regions: Hong Kong (#2) has 53 cases and Singapore (#3) has 50 cases.
Close to Hong Kong (53) & Macau (10): Guangdong(1241) incl. 391 cases in Shenzhen (SZX), 327 cases in Guangzhou (CAN).
Close to Shanghai (315): Jiangsu (570), Zhejiang (1145)
Close to Beijing (366): Hebei (265), Tianjin (117)
Close to Hebei: Henan (1169), Anhui (910), Henan (968), Chongqing (525).

Cargo flights are still running between PRC and other countries (even the US).
Fedex Guangzhou hub seems pretty normal so far.
There's a last-mile logistic problem with a large part of the staff in quarantaine and nationwide road blocks to prevent the movement of people with an infection risk.
Last edited by acomp on Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eamondzhang

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:33 pm

United787 wrote:

It might be to your surprise but all of CN3 and MF still flies to US.

Michael

ck8msp

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:38 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/13/coronav ... celed.html

Coronavirus isn’t just hitting China travel. Barcelona trips are also feeling the impact.

1989worstyear

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:41 am

ck8msp wrote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/13/coronavirus-united-cuts-barcelona-flights-after-mobile-world-congress-canceled.html

Coronavirus isn’t just hitting China travel. Barcelona trips are also feeling the impact.

TATL will contract significantly this awful year.

United should have stopped work on the 763's last month, as they entered service in 1986 and have nowhere to fly now :frown:

Thanks Xi...
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

Tuan

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:47 am

It's estimated that Vietnamese carriers have lost about $340M of revenue due to the virus outbreak:
https://skift.com/2020/02/12/vietnamese ... virus/amp/

keesje

Two-thirds of Chinese airlines’ planes grounded over coronavirus

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:59 am

While the nation tries to cope, control the Corona virus outbreak most of the civil fleet is gounded.

Around 2000 aircraft I think. https://www.ft.com/content/2caa82d4-4e5 ... d18ec715f5

Many people expect central & local authorities to bail out airlines getting into cash flow problems.

All depends on how long this is gonna take.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... 2-11920542
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Chipmunk1973

Re: Two-thirds of Chinese airlines’ planes grounded over coronavirus

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:10 am

What about cargo flights?

Rgds,
C1973
Cheers,
C1973

B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.

Dutchy

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:36 am

Wow, I read that the capacity was slashed between Schiphol and China by 80%.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

cjg225

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:19 pm

Speedalive wrote:
Anybody know how this is affecting CX Cargo, CI Cargo, etc? Could there actually be an increase in cargo demand due to less belly freight capacity and the need to transport medical supplies to China?

For freighters for sure. Spot rates are up significantly trying to get material into China right now. Lots of charters being organized, too. We're seeing quite a few from different airlines being organized ORD-PVG, for example.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

zakuivcustom

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:22 am

keesje wrote:
While the nation tries to cope, control the Corona virus outbreak most of the civil fleet is gounded.

Around 2000 aircraft I think. https://www.ft.com/content/2caa82d4-4e5 ... d18ec715f5

Many people expect central & local authorities to bail out airlines getting into cash flow problems.

All depends on how long this is gonna take.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... 2-11920542

Doesn't surprise me if ~2/3 of Chinese carriers fleet are grounded. Airports are also like a ghost town with many flights (including domestic) still being canceled.

Just a side note - it's also insane how empty Chinese airspace is when you look at it in FR24, especially when you compare to neighboring airspace (i.e. the Japan/South Korea-Taiwan-SE Asia corridor).

Just a quick example - SHA (Hongqiao) normally have ~800 flights a day. As of yesterday, there are only ~150 takeoffs + landings total.

qf789

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:36 am

China Southern has parked all 5 A380's, several other aircraft are seen parked at CAN as well

https://twitter.com/FATIIIAviation/stat ... 50758?s=20
Forum Moderator

qf789

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:55 am

As of 12 Feb 20 there were 1215 aircraft grounded in China by Chinese Airlines

https://twitter.com/chaviation/status/1 ... 35360?s=20
Forum Moderator

peterinlisbon

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:17 am

qf789 wrote:

I wonder if some of these aircraft could be leased to American and other airlines that are affected by the problems with the MAX. It seems crazy that flights are being cancelled in one part of the world due to a lack of aircraft, whilst thousands of aircraft are sitting idle in Asia.

zippy

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:36 am

peterinlisbon wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I wonder if some of these aircraft could be leased to American and other airlines that are affected by the problems with the MAX. It seems crazy that flights are being cancelled in one part of the world due to a lack of aircraft, whilst thousands of aircraft are sitting idle in Asia.

Didn't Southwest just run into trouble about bringing some ex-Chinese NGs up to American standards? Unless you expect the MAX grounding to go on for an extended period of time I imagine that China is one of the more expensive places to import aircraft from. OTOH, if COVID-19 continues to have a negative economic impact extra lift may not be needed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos