Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tphuang

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:24 am

UA is saying almost 100% drop in demand to China and 75% drop to other TPAC regions.
https://www.reuters.com/article/brief-u ... SFWN2AO18Q

Those already low yielding TPAC flights are going to look even worse this quarter.

At this pace, TPAC flying isn't coming back for summer season. Airlines should be worried about TATL flights during the peak summer season.

Thunderbolt500

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:29 am

jbpdx wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
This is going to get a lot worse. Now it's not just China - China, Iran, Italy and South Korea have large uncontained outbreaks. Who knows where this will end.

I saw reports this weekend that people are avoiding movie theatres and Chinese restaurants in the U.S.

I have been told not shake hands.

Thunderbolt500

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:30 am

Also I wonder if the summer Olympics are going to be cx.

chepos

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:42 am

I’m going to go on a limb and say mainland China flying from the US3 is not resuming by late April as scheduled. I venture to guess select flights return by the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

Waterbomber2

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:53 am

joeblow10 wrote:
CDC has issued a level 3 warning for South Korea. How long until we see the US carriers axing flights there as well? And how long until Japan is on that list?

This is looking worse and worse for the industry on the daily

Quoting from over at the non-aviation thread.

It is what we have anticipated on these threads for a while. There is a concensus that the aviation industry will see major damage, from direct closures and also general avoidance of air travel.
DL's investment in KE is probably already in vain, they'll have to postpone their plans to grow their TPAC operation in ICN.

For the anecdotal aspect, I was in the market for some TATL and intra-EU flights for business purposes in Q2, but I have now suspended booking any travel, even hoping that some of my already booked flights (including a TATL in March) will be cancelled and refunded.

The fares are going down systematically now even for TATL trips, and so is my interest in purchasing any kind of travel.

joeblow10

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:00 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
CDC has issued a level 3 warning for South Korea. How long until we see the US carriers axing flights there as well? And how long until Japan is on that list?

It is what we have anticipated on these threads for a while. There is a concensus that the aviation industry will see major damage, from direct closures and also general avoidance of air travel.
DL's investment in KE is probably already in vain, they'll have to postpone their plans to grow their TPAC operation in ICN.

For the anecdotal aspect, I was in the market for some TATL and intra-EU flights for business purposes in Q2, but I have now suspended booking any travel, even hoping that some of my already booked flights (including a TATL in March) will be cancelled and refunded.

Whoops - posted that one over there instead of here. Either way - like you said, as we anticipated, it is not looking good for the industry or the economy in general.

I’m booked for travel through next week, but after that, will be actively monitoring and avoiding myself if need be. I know it’s almost certain nobody around me had the Coronavirus, but I found myself on three flights last week and the amount of people coughing or sneezing around me made it unavoidable to catch a cold. I can’t imagine how this thing spreads on planes - let alone long haul flying, and people will be avoiding as as a result.

Cerecl

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:03 am

1989worstyear wrote:
It will only cause early 757 and 767 retirements due to the EIS year of those types. No impacts to other types, as even a 30 year old A320 is worth several times more than a 2010 built 763.

Dude what is your beef with 767? :? Right at the beginning of this epidemic you were predicting the end of JL/NH 767s, and you are still going on about it. Let's bet a glass of your best local beer that next time I go to Japan I can still fly on one of those.

Respiratory viral infections are a season's curse. There is a reason why Australia/NZ and in fact all Southern Hemisphere countries are spared despite significant ongoing influx of people from China (although not necessarily with a Chinese passport). As the weather becomes warmer in the Northern Hemisphere the virus will start to subside. Airlines are not going to retire fleets just for a slump for 6-9 months.
Fokker-100 SAAB 340 Q400 E190 717 737 738 763ER 787-8 772 77E 773 77W 747-400 747-400ER A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A346 A359 A380

Waterbomber2

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:27 am

Italy is calling a reunion with all neighboring States' ministers of health.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/ita/coronaviru ... i/45575910

May a suspension of the Shengen agreement, ie border closures be on the table after all? The question that the neighboring ministers are going to have to answer is, are you ok keeping the borders open considering the risk of this spreading to your country?
Lega Nord's Salvini is hammering to close the borders to enable both containment and avoiding further incoming carriers.
If this happens, we may also see a temporary suspension of flights to/from Italy.

1989worstyear

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:35 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

The fares are going down systematically now even for TATL trips, and so is my interest in purchasing any kind of travel.

Did the TATL fares start falling before or after the outbreak in Italy?
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

ITSTours

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:29 am

A Korean Air cabin crew was found to be infected by the coronavirus. Is this the first case for the cabin crews?

myki

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:39 am

Bahrain's Civil Aviation Affairs has blocked BAH to DXB and SHJ for 48 hours

https://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/ ... 2603943472

bcworld

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:17 am

ITSTours wrote:
A Korean Air cabin crew was found to be infected by the coronavirus.

Is this confirmed? References I can see to it always seem to be from sites with 'unusual' URLs then propagted on Twitter.

BML87

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:25 am

bcworld wrote:
ITSTours wrote:

Is this confirmed? References I can see to it always seem to be from sites with 'unusual' URLs then propagted on Twitter.

Reuters:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKCN20J0GK

ASMVPGOLD

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:28 am

DL just added their ICN flights to the coronavirus alert page today. It will be interesting to see if they start cancelling flights.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisories/ ... -situation
721/2,732/3/4/5/7/8/9,741/2/3/4,752/3,762/3/4,772/3/LR,787,DC9/30/50/80/90,DC10,MD11,L1011,F100,319,320,321,332,333,380,CRJ,ERJ,DH8/2/4

Waterbomber2

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:31 am

1989worstyear wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

Fares are down about 20% outbound from Europe (not all route combinations but at least several that I was following) since yesterday, so it's an immediate effect of the outbreak in Italy.

Here is some evidence that this is real: https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/F ... 080033.php

1989worstyear

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:46 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
1989worstyear wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:

Fares are down about 20% outbound from Europe (not all route combinations but at least several that I was following) since yesterday, so it's an immediate effect of the outbreak in Italy.

Here is some evidence that this is real: https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/F ... 080033.php

Could this drop have had little to do with the outbreak though? Fares seem to go all over the place from my experience. One day can make a difference even without another plague from China.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

contractdog

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:52 am

Flying out of Milan Linate this morning. Plenty flights cancelled... towards the end of the day, almost all of them!

LAXintl

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:02 am

China-USA demand is coming back.
Attended briefing end of last week were Air China local management informed airport officials they will reestablish separate LAX and SFO flights for April. Current LAX flights are seeing increased loads (150-180 per flight) far above 30-50 few weeks ago.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Richardgoesto

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:06 am

contractdog wrote:
Flying out of Milan Linate this morning. Plenty flights cancelled... towards the end of the day, almost all of them!

That’s because of a strike that was already planned by Italian airport operators.

janders

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:40 am

Updated list of SIA Group network reductions (PDF)

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pdf/ ... etwork.pdf
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

ITSTours

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:51 am

bcworld wrote:
ITSTours wrote:

https://news.v.daum.net/v/20200225153901850
Article in Korean.

This cabin crew contacted a confirmed case during the flight from ICN to TLV.

Bavd

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:00 am

Kuwait closed their airspace for all aircraft coming from Thailand, Italy, Iran, Iraq and South Korea.
NOTAM OKAC A0087/20, A0088/20 etc.

acomp

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:07 am

A Korean Airlines flight attendant has tested positive for coronavirus.
KE has shut down the office near the ICN airport, where the crew briefing room is located.
The crew reportedly had a cough after the duty on KE012 (LAX to ICN)...

Source: http://www.incheonilbo.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=1024977
Last edited by acomp on Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

dampfnudel

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:24 am

acomp wrote:

KE has shut down the office near the ICN airport, where the crew briefing room is located.

They may need to shut down operations until they can test every crew member.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

Antaras

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:04 am

acomp wrote:

So possibly, a large proportion of other crews and passengers who fly the same flight with that attendant, as well as get in the same airframe might be infected.

The airframe is HL7611 (A380), currently serving for the same route (KE12) at the moment I was typing this reply.
God bless everyone.
If you disagree with my statement, assume that it was just a joke :duck:

acomp

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:27 am

Antaras wrote:
acomp wrote:

So possibly, a large proportion of other crews and passengers who fly the same flight with that attendant, as well as get in the same airframe might be infected.

The airframe is HL7611 (A380), currently serving for the same route (KE12) at the moment I was typing this reply.
God bless everyone.

I'm more worried about the inbound flight.
The crew at least stayed 1 night in LA.

RawSushi

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:32 am

janders wrote:
Updated list of SIA Group network reductions (PDF)

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pdf/ ... etwork.pdf

I received an email from SQ yesterday informing me that I have been rebooked on a different flight in March because the one I was booked on has been cancelled.

readytotaxi

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:31 am

Tenerife in Spain's Canary Islands has locked down a major hotel and guests are not allowed to leave after a visiting Italian doctor tested positive for coronavirus. The holiday islands are a major hotspot for europeans and any virus fears could a similar impact to China.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51627597
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Mystic

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:13 pm

TK879 has diverted to Ankara due to some passengers being possibly infected by the the Corona virus. 17 of the passengers seem to have high fever. All of the passengers are transferred to a hospital without entering the terminal and will be held there for 14 days.

crazy

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:40 pm

Kuwait suspended all flights to/from Italy.
Bulgaria Air suspended all flights to/from Italy.

And a news from Prague Airport: it seems all Italian flights landing there have special gates, is it true?

theaviator380

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:36 pm

I think countries should ban flights from Italy and Iran knowing the extent of breakout they are facing atm....of course along with Japan and S.Korea.

JustSomeDood

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:49 pm

At this rate many of South Korea's remarkably fragmented, financially precarious airlines will be culled, who wants to take a gander at the carriers there which won't survive?

reply1984

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:31 pm

Cathay Pacific and HK Express are to suspend all flights to South Korea.

frmrCapCadet

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:35 pm

Banning all flights is not part of the scientific recommendation to control spread of disease. There are specific reductions of flights, but more than that ways of controlling who flies, including crew as well as passengers. At a certain level of control most flights end up being cancelled, but some air travel is not only permitted, but may be required.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

smokeybandit

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:12 pm

There are vaccines for the seasonal flu but they're targeted vaccines. As has happened in the past, the main strain for that season may not be the targeted strain(s) the vaccine is made for.

gatibosgru

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:35 pm

Really hoping my CDG-FCO nor my VCE-ORY are impacted, doesn't look like there have been any announcements of flight reductions/cancellations to/from Italy on European airlines, no?
@DadCelo

airplaneboy

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:25 pm

acomp wrote:
Antaras wrote:
acomp wrote:

God bless everyone.

American news networks aren’t reporting this yet. I don’t understand why Korea/Korean Air didn’t enforce a mandatory quarantine period for the crew who worked the flight from Tel Aviv to Seoul (this FA supposedly worked a Tel Aviv flight prior to the LA flight). Who knows how many in LA have been affected now. This could spiral out of control very easily. Praying it doesn’t!

zakuivcustom

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:05 pm

reply1984 wrote:

Details:
CX: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_US/ ... korea.html

Cancellation begins on March 1st to/from ICN. KA already suspended flights to/from PUS and CJU prior to the current situation.

UO:
https://www.hkexpress.com/en-hk/your-tr ... SouthKorea

Cancellation begins on March 3rd. UO already suspended their flights to/from CJU, and this cancellation applied to flights to/from ICN and PUS.

Lastly, HX already cancelled their flight to/from ICN since Feb. 22:
https://www.hongkongairlines.com/en_HK/ ... 0005576734

hoons90

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:23 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
reply1984 wrote:

Details:
CX: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_US/ ... korea.html

Cancellation begins on March 1st to/from ICN. KA already suspended flights to/from PUS and CJU prior to the current situation.

UO:
https://www.hkexpress.com/en-hk/your-tr ... SouthKorea

Cancellation begins on March 3rd. UO already suspended their flights to/from CJU, and this cancellation applied to flights to/from ICN and PUS.

Lastly, HX already cancelled their flight to/from ICN since Feb. 22:
https://www.hongkongairlines.com/en_HK/ ... 0005576734

This must be the first time since 1960 that CX suspended flights to Korea completely.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

dc10lover

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:48 pm

-75% drop in Asian Passengers - United Airlines
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

Clackers

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:01 pm

Are Virgin still flying to PVG? Wouldn't surprise me knowing Sir Richard.

NearMiss

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:04 pm

Last thing Alitalia needed was this Coronavirus outbreak in Italy. Talk about bad luck!
"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

smartplane

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:24 pm

LAXintl wrote:
China-USA demand is coming back.
Attended briefing end of last week were Air China local management informed airport officials they will reestablish separate LAX and SFO flights for April. Current LAX flights are seeing increased loads (150-180 per flight) far above 30-50 few weeks ago.

Flying routes is one thing. LF's another.

Virtually every airline and lessor is losing standby credit lines, and rollovers are not being renewed, as fair weather friends and pessimists take cover.

Airline, OEM and aviation finance credit is being squeezed hard, which will affect aircraft orders, deliveries, employment...........
The proactive are seeking payment holidays and/or forgiveness, deferrals, interest free (or at cost finance).............. Even insurers are being asked to re-price cover based on lower utilisation.

Government financial intervention is inevitable if there is no good, verifiable news on containment within the next 14 days.

aeropix

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:14 pm

All flights from UAE to / from IRAN have been halted until further notice

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... cases-rise

Polot

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:16 pm

NearMiss wrote:
Last thing Alitalia needed was this Coronavirus outbreak in Italy. Talk about bad luck!

This just gives the Italian government justification to pump more money into the airline.

zakuivcustom

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:21 pm

Clackers wrote:
Are Virgin still flying to PVG? Wouldn't surprise me knowing Sir Richard.

https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/uk-airl ... ronavirus/

The route had been suspended since beginning of this month...seriously, it's NOT that hard to Google that.

hoons90 wrote:
This must be the first time since 1960 that CX suspended flights to Korea completely.

It's also crazy that HKG-ICN used to see like 10 airlines and now, almost no flights are left on that route.

SCQ83

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:29 pm

The coronavirus in Italy will have a major impact in intra-European traffic.

EU countries are suggesting that people who have been in Northern Italy in the last few days "self-quarantine" themselves for 2-weeks. Companies in Europe are recommending "avoid all but essential travel to Italy"; in the same package as Hong Kong, South Korea or Japan (only one step higher than China).

I have talked to three people today that planned to go in Italy for VFR/city breaks over the next few weeks which will just not go (and those are usually "Cheap" easyJet/Ryanair tickets, so losing 100 EUR is better than being stuck in a quarantine).

If Italy continues this way it is a question of days that EU and US carriers start cutting frequencies or routes.

scbriml

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:36 pm

tapairbus370 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:
Some of us have suggested an early and temporary suspension of all flights, globally.
It would have been so much cheaper, easier and less disruptive than what is about to happen next.

To whom did you suggest this?

It was suggested here, in this thread.

I believe that's what he's refering.

Yes, whistling in the wind. ;)
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ITSTours

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:39 pm

airplaneboy wrote:
acomp wrote:
Antaras wrote:

God bless everyone.

American news networks aren’t reporting this yet. I don’t understand why Korea/Korean Air didn’t enforce a mandatory quarantine period for the crew who worked the flight from Tel Aviv to Seoul (this FA supposedly worked a Tel Aviv flight prior to the LA flight). Who knows how many in LA have been affected now. This could spiral out of control very easily. Praying it doesn’t!

The cabin crew apparently contacted the infected people on 2/15 KE917.
The first person from Israel pilgrimage tour was confirmed on 2/21.
This is after the LA flights (2/19, 2/20, KE017/KE012. Seriously a single day layover?).

So KE would have never known if the cabin crew has contacted the infected people. I thought it was incompetence but it is just unfortunate.

Clackers

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:41 pm

What would happen if every aircraft in the world was grounded? is that even possible? I bet Russian and Iranians wouldn't comply.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos