Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jayunited

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:29 pm

mikezc128 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
United trims Pacific capacity till end of April per internal notice.

IAH/LAX-NRT - suspended 3/8-4/24
ORD-NRT - suspended 3/8-4/27
EWR-NRT - reduced 5x weekly 3/28-4/24
SFO-KIX - reduced 5x weekly 3/28-4/24
SFO-SIN - reduced to 7x weekly 3/8-4/2
SFO-ICN - reduced to 3x weekly 3/8-4/30
HNL-NRT - downgauge to 787-8 eff April
SFO-TPE - downgauged to 787-9 March-April

(note: while there are the above Japan cuts, the new HND flying still planned to commence in late March)

I am supposed to be flying to SFO-SIN on 3/11. As of now have not gotten any update from United...not looking to good right now.

SFO-SIN is only being reduce not suspended there will still be 1x daily flight. I'm not sure which of the 2 flights are being suspended (if I had to guess I would say the daytime SFO flight). UA just announced this so give it a few hours the schedule will be updated and if you are on one of the effected flights you will be notified and given other flight options.

Clackers

Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:35 pm

I doubt many airlines in SE Asia will survive the next few years.
I suspect MH and TG will go under, which leaves SQ in a great position to purchase some cheap assets and maybe even take over the airports at BKK, DMK, and KUL with Scoot.

Garuda could go either way, although I think VN will be salvaged by the government. Philippines? Who cares? Royal Brunei? Same as VN.

KlimaBXsst

Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:03 pm

In the US, capacity dumping is going to provide a very good indication how sustainable ULCC’s like

Allegiant, Frontier, Spirit, and Sun Country

weather the future capacity dumping storm of the likes of JetBlue, Southwest, and the wide-body legacies with this thing.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

Scotron12

Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:20 pm

Clackers wrote:
I suspect MH and TG will go under, which leaves SQ in a great position to purchase some cheap assets and maybe even take over the airports at BKK, DMK, and KUL with Scoot.

Garuda could go either way, although I think VN will be salvaged by the government. Philippines? Who cares? Royal Brunei? Same as VN.

In that context, doesn't give much chance for Bamboo either!

alan3

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:02 pm

ITB.....the world's largest tourism and travel industry trade show set for next week has just been cancelled.

http://famagusta-gazette.com/2020/02/28 ... rus-fears/
https://www.berliner-zeitung.de/gesundh ... gt-li.5643

Wednesdayite

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:08 pm

Amazon directing all employees to avoid all but essential work related travel.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... db2fb00ad3
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

ei146

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:13 pm

KlimaBXsst

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:25 pm

It has been known, print media and print journalism has been on the decline at least in the US for the last decade if not longer.

Is the Corona virus a last gasp for some brand versions of print media to survive another week, month, quarter, or year basically?

Will we also be seeing inflight airline magazines go the same direction as print media, with an earlier than expected withdrawal and ramp up to withdrawal in the name of “sanitation,” much like the way blankets were “sanitarily removed” from domestic flights in the US?

Hmmm
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

smartplane

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:57 pm

A European aviation financier has suspended client meetings (all virtual for the foreseeable future), is paying staff holiday cancellation fees, and has a 28 day self-quarantine period (paid - work at home). Massive productivity increase when you can ask questions and see the results without the emotion and padding of a face to face.

Feels similar to previous financial crashes, except no airline seems to be untouched, all being proactive securing new lines of credit, prematurely extending current, deferring milestone payments, deferring deliveries especially WB.................

Thank goodness for blue chip Government / military orders.

Key questions are: Are we past the peak? How long will this last? How long will it take to bounce back? How long will it take China and India to recover? How exposed are A & B, including BCC? Who is financially able to broker new aviation partnerships amidst the chaos?

zakuivcustom

Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:03 pm

Clackers wrote:

Seriously, I would have more than a few airlines going under to worry about if the outbreak last this long.

jayunited wrote:
SFO-SIN is only being reduce not suspended there will still be 1x daily flight. I'm not sure which of the 2 flights are being suspended (if I had to guess I would say the daytime SFO flight). UA just announced this so give it a few hours the schedule will be updated and if you are on one of the effected flights you will be notified and given other flight options.

Both flights still seems to be showing up when I try to dummy book on UA's website.

On the flip side...Y roundtrip ticket for March SFO->SIN and April SIN->SFO is USD722...how in the world UA can make any money.

TW870

Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:25 pm

Just for context, I work in a University setting. We have already (obviously) banned all employee travel to China. Latest upper management communication is we are following U.S. government guidance, and if no-travel warnings to other destinations happen, we will follow suit for employees and students. We have major employee travel planned in mid-March for spring break, and are assessing every day whether or not to proceed. My sense, thus, is that this situation is very unstable and we are just beginning to understand the full scope.

cjg225

Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:28 pm

Woof. Just got a flight cancellation update list from one of our global forwarders...

Lots of cancellations popping up now for Indonesia. SQ, TR, and MI all dumping lots of flights in March and April... even some into May.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

Prost

Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:33 pm

For those of us who’ve been in the industry for a few decades we may be a bit pessimistic about the airline industry’s near term future. And for those who are a younger generation, they may be minimizing the impact this can have. It is going to be an interesting spring, that’s for certain.

32andBelow

Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:36 pm

Prost wrote:
For those of us who’ve been in the industry for a few decades we may be a bit pessimistic about the airline industry’s near term future. And for those who are a younger generation, they may be minimizing the impact this can have. It is going to be an interesting spring, that’s for certain.

Employees are going to learn why higher guaranteed compensation is better than bonuses.

hohd

Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:27 pm

smartplane wrote:
How long will it take China and India to recover? How exposed are A & B, including BCC? Who is financially able to broker new aviation partnerships amidst the chaos?

India ? It is one of the few countries which has actually seen an increase in flying, so far India has escaped unscathed. BA, AF are all busy adding flights to Indian cities. And SQ and TG are hoping on India for their connecting flights to be filled.

smartplane

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:00 pm

hohd wrote:
smartplane wrote:
How long will it take China and India to recover? How exposed are A & B, including BCC? Who is financially able to broker new aviation partnerships amidst the chaos?

India ? It is one of the few countries which has actually seen an increase in flying, so far India has escaped unscathed. BA, AF are all busy adding flights to Indian cities. And SQ and TG are hoping on India for their connecting flights to be filled.

An increase in flying and load factors in the last 45 days against global trends? Surely India too is experiencing a reduction in travel, and softening export demand.

Directly and indirectly, India and China are major sources of aviation capital and liquidity, roles previously enjoyed by the USA and Europe. At a time when airlines, OEM's and their suppliers are seeking more credit, credit from these two will either cost a lot more, or it won't be available, or only with 'strings' (like equity).

hiflyeras

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:52 pm

I've been in the airline industry since 1981...been furloughed a few times and have watched as other, more junior people, were furloughed after the financial crisis of 2008.

The younger people today don't really understand what is transpiring and how bad it could potentially be. I've been telling them to put off major purchases and stick close to home. Don't head far away on vacation and don't buy that new car right now. We have no idea how many people are calling to cancel business or leisure travel now that major airlines are allowing free cancellation or rebooking. If it gets bad they'll start cancelling flights. We already know how bad it is in China...I give it a couple of weeks before we know just how bad it is for the travel and tourism industry world-wide.

MIflyer12

Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:16 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Prost wrote:

Employees are going to learn why higher guaranteed compensation is better than bonuses.

Some employees are going to see that variable compensation is better than being furloughed. With profit sharing already close to zero the only way that AA cuts employment expense is by cutting headcount.

Thunderbolt500

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:27 am

hiflyeras wrote:
I've been in the airline industry since 1981...been furloughed a few times and have watched as other, more junior people, were furloughed after the financial crisis of 2008.

The younger people today don't really understand what is transpiring and how bad it could potentially be. I've been telling them to put off major purchases and stick close to home. Don't head far away on vacation and don't buy that new car right now. We have no idea how many people are calling to cancel business or leisure travel now that major airlines are allowing free cancellation or rebooking. If it gets bad they'll start cancelling flights. We already know how bad it is in China...I give it a couple of weeks before we know just how bad it is for the travel and tourism industry world-wide.

Could this be today's 911 with this crisis.

Tuan

Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:36 am

Major disruption in HAN, Vietnam. Thousands arrival from Korea stuck at airport await transfer to quarantine centers, which are being prepped.

Waterbomber2

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:30 am

hohd wrote:
smartplane wrote:

If this gets to India somehow, how the Indian airline industry fares will be the least of anyone's concerns.

LAXintl

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:40 am

ALPA and United reached an agreement to allow widebody pilots to take one month off through end of April for reduced pay.

United Airlines offers pilots a month off as coronavirus prompts flight cuts
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/29/coronav ... -cuts.html
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ual4life

Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:57 am

So it begins for the US carriers.
NNVII

reply1984

Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:59 am

It is reported that US is considering extending entry restrictions to Japan and South Korea. The final decision will be made very soon.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020 ... media.html

If this happens, it will be a HUGE disruption to trans-pacific flights.

SCQ83

Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:08 am

On top of British Airways and Wizz Air yesterday, more Italy cancelations. Turkish shelving capacity by half:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-28feb20/

Istanbul – Bari 01MAR20 – 28MAR20 Reduce from 4 to 2 weekly
Istanbul – Bologna 01MAR20 – 30MAR20 Reduce from 2 to 1 daily
Istanbul – Catania 01MAR20 – 28MAR20 Reduce from 7 to 4 weekly
Istanbul – Milan Malpensa 01MAR20 – 31MAR20 Reduce from 4 to 2 daily
Istanbul – Naples 01MAR20 – 28MAR20 Reduce from 7 to 4 weekly
Istanbul – Rome 01MAR20 – 31MAR20 Reduce from 4 to 2 daily
Istanbul – Venice 01MAR20 – 28MAR20 Reduce from 2 to 1 daily
Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen – Milan Malpensa 01MAR20 – 31MAR20 4 weekly cancelled
Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen – Rome 01MAR20 – 31MAR20 3 weekly cancelled

SN:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-28feb20/

Brussels – Milan Linate 02MAR20 – 13MAR20 Reduce from 18 to 10 weekly
Brussels – Milan Malpensa 02MAR20 – 13MAR20 Reduce from 18 to 11 weekly
Brussels – Rome 02MAR20 – 13MAR20 Reduce from 22 to 16 weekly
Brussels – Venice 02MAR20 – 13MAR20 Reduce from 17 to 13 weekly

easyJet seems to be more conservative with overall very few reductions. It seems that U2 lives in denial and it is looking at booked seats and not taking into consideration the crazy amount of no-shows in Europe.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... t-29feb20/

32andBelow

Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:12 am

reply1984 wrote:
It is reported that US is considering extending entry restrictions to Japan and South Korea. The final decision will be made very soon.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020 ... media.html

If this happens, it will be a HUGE disruption to trans-pacific flights.

Very bad news for the olympic$

holczakker

Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:37 am

SCQ83 wrote:
It seems that U2 lives in denial

That does not seem to be the case to me. See #1333.
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1439961&start=1300#p22052321

Jouhou

Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:59 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
It has been known, print media and print journalism has been on the decline at least in the US for the last decade if not longer.

Is the Corona virus a last gasp for some brand versions of print media to survive another week, month, quarter, or year basically?

Will we also be seeing inflight airline magazines go the same direction as print media, with an earlier than expected withdrawal and ramp up to withdrawal in the name of “sanitation,” much like the way blankets were “sanitarily removed” from domestic flights in the US?

Hmmm

No, look at how long ago I made a thread about this in non-av (January 14, this one was started Jan 22). Just because you were oblivious to what a zoonotic coronavirus breaking out in China meant for the world and aviation doesn't mean others were. The media was actually slow to pick this story up.
Last edited by Jouhou on Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
情報

FluidFlow

Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:59 am

Swiss also reduces service to Italy to a minimum.

T4thH

Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:53 am

Radical reaction by Lufthansa/Lufthansa Group now:
To the already grounded 13 wb long haul jets, additional 10 long haul jets will now be grounded.
Up to 25% of the European short haul flights will be cancelled.

reduced hours, unpaid leave possibility for employees, if tinterested, working at home e.g. Sources are in German.
https://www.airliners.de/lufthansa-flugplanreduzierungen/53998
https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article206221411/Coronavirus-Lufthansa-streicht-bis-zu-ein-Viertel-der-Fluege-in-Europa.html
https://www.faz.net/aktuell/gesellschaft/gesundheit/coronavirus/coronavirus-lufthansa-plant-erhebliche-angebotskuerzungen-16656953.html

eta unknown

Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:02 am

Clackers wrote:

Some of those airlines exist for diplomatic or other non profit related purposes and for that reason they are in no danger of disappearing.

melpax

Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:08 am

A friend works for a major electrical firm here in Melbourne. All staff at his company were notified yesterday that all personal international travel must be reported to management. If there is more of this sort of thing going on, I'd imagine that Gold Coast & Port Douglas holidays will become fashionable again for a while, along with old-school roadtrips, barring any Wuhan-style lockdowns.....
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

devron

Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:21 pm

I am at FRA the number of people with mask is still limited and you van even still buy mask here. So no panic here.

leghorn

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:04 pm

leghorn

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:04 pm

devron wrote:
I am at FRA the number of people with mask is still limited and you van even still buy mask here. So no panic here.

Same for me in FRA on thursday.

Blimpie

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:14 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:

Hmmm

Ummm.... no, because the biggest spread of misinformation comes in the form of social media. Media that works on the week, month, quarter, or yearly basis as you put it, is already dated by the time the information goes to print. Print media organizations is no more a "last grasp" for print media than SARS was.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

jayunited

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:37 pm

LAXintl wrote:
ALPA and United reached an agreement to allow widebody pilots to take one month off through end of April for reduced pay.

United Airlines offers pilots a month off as coronavirus prompts flight cuts
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/29/coronav ... -cuts.html

I think this is a prudent move for UA. Of the US3 UA does have the most exposure in Asia, and there is no way the U.S. domestic market can absorb all these widebodies that will now sit idle as a result of the additional schedule reductions to Asia UA announced yesterday.

Getting out ahead of this crises and offering effected pilots a month off at 50 hours pay in place of the usual 80 hours guaranteed I think send the right message to the pilots and I honestly believe there will be quite a few pilots on those effected fleets (777s and 787s) who will take UA up on their offer.

qf789

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:37 pm

Please continue discussion in March 2020 thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1442123&p=22054043#p22054043
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos