Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:28 pm

Singapore government being proactive to help its aviation sector. Today they announced a 6-month S$112m package to assist.

> Reduced aircraft landing and parking charges
> Assistance for ground handling companies
> Rental rebates for shops and cargo facilities.
> 15 percent property tax rebate

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/b ... amid-covid
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... de-through

zakuivcustom

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:59 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Singapore government being proactive to help its aviation sector. Today they announced a 6-month S$112m package to assist.

> Reduced aircraft landing and parking charges
> Assistance for ground handling companies
> Rental rebates for shops and cargo facilities.
> 15 percent property tax rebate

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/b ... amid-covid
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... de-through

(Half off topic...)
Meanwhile, over in HK, the HKIA authority did not even decrease landing fee/parking fee during the protest, nor they'll do anything during the current nCoV situation, either.

Yes, it's a dig on HK govt/HKIA authority in general.

Good for Singapore for being proactive. The govt knew that there would be an economic effect, and is doing things to lessen the impact as much as possible.

MohawkWeekend wrote:
I might have missed it but have any US carriers formally stated that over all bookings are holding steady or declining? Not just to Asia but system wide.

No news on that front, but why would booking drop anyway on, let say, domestic US flights or flights between US and Europe/South America/Africa, etc.? It's 100% business as usual in US anyway.

BTW...since I just got a email...

https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/hom ... ravel.html

AC extend the suspension of YYZ-HKG to April 30th (Originally until March 28th).

(I have my relatives booked on a return flight on mid-April right now...re-routed to YYZ-YVR-HKG).
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Texas77

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:00 pm

scbriml wrote:
N212R wrote:
No one wants to talk about the two 747's used to bring back US citizens from the ill-fated cruise ship in Japan?

Sure. What do you want to say about them?

I was actually wondering what planes/airlines they used, came here to find the details, and nothing. Someone have the details?

Texas77

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:04 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:
Sorry if this has already been posted; I looked and didn't see it. Apologies if I missed it. Fox News is reporting that a couple with the virus flew on Delta and Hawaiian to and within Hawaii, specifically HNL and OGG.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/couple-c ... n-airlines

No idea if they were already infected at the time the flew on these planes and visited The Islands. I wonder if this will change how Hawaiian airports are doing business? As of last week, Hawaiian travel blogs and sites were reporting no special screening for visitors from Asia, whereas at least LAX was doing random screenings. Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks,

Bob

and the genius editors at fox news think they flew to Japan on a 738. typical American "journalists" not bothering to actually do any research at all. well, other than posting some tweets they read, which seems to qualify as actual news coverage nowadays...

hoons90

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:05 pm

Texas77 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
N212R wrote:
No one wants to talk about the two 747's used to bring back US citizens from the ill-fated cruise ship in Japan?

Sure. What do you want to say about them?

I was actually wondering what planes/airlines they used, came here to find the details, and nothing. Someone have the details?

Kalitta 744F.

A redditor was one of the Diamond Princess evacuees and had some pictures of the flight to San Antonio.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMA/comments/f ... e_diamond/

Aptivaboy

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:36 pm

and the genius editors at fox news think they flew to Japan on a 738. typical American "journalists" not bothering to actually do any research at all. well, other than posting some tweets they read, which seems to qualify as actual news coverage nowadays...

Actually, at no point did they say that the couple flew on a 738. Fox News offered stock photos of a Delta 737 to illustrate Delta Airlines, and of a Hawaiian A330 to illustrate Hawaiian Airlines, nothing more. Given that most flyers don't know what kind f a plane they're on but can identify the airline from its colors and livery, that makes sense. The photo captions even state, "istock," to make the point that these are stock photos, not photos of the actual aircraft in question.

Not trying to pick a fight, but it seems that you're perhaps taking the photos too literally, and not, "in the spirit," as they are meant to be.

Have a great day, everyone. Back to teaching these juniors now that lunch has ended. Did I mention they're... Unmotivated????? Please pray for me!

MohawkWeekend

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:36 pm

I was checkin a few seat maps for United flights to HNL a week from today - they are about 50% LF. Is that about normal for a week out?

Texas77

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:54 am

Aptivaboy wrote:

Actually, at no point did they say that the couple flew on a 738. Fox News offered stock photos of a Delta 737 to illustrate Delta Airlines, and of a Hawaiian A330 to illustrate Hawaiian Airlines, nothing more. Given that most flyers don't know what kind f a plane they're on but can identify the airline from its colors and livery, that makes sense. The photo captions even state, "istock," to make the point that these are stock photos, not photos of the actual aircraft in question.

Not trying to pick a fight, but it seems that you're perhaps taking the photos too literally, and not, "in the spirit," as they are meant to be.

Have a great day, everyone. Back to teaching these juniors now that lunch has ended. Did I mention they're... Unmotivated????? Please pray for me!

no I get it, I know exactly what they were doing and agree with you that most people don't know any better. and even fewer would know a 737 can't typically fly from Hawaii to Japan. I guess what I am, lamenting is that it took me literally about 15 seconds to search and figure out that Delta uses a 763 on that route. they really couldn't be bothered with that level of effort?

and maybe people in general wouldn't be so clueless if a) they were given more accurate info and b) people like the media were forced to be a little more "motivated" by people who know and care.

no fight at all, I am just ripping on lazy media types, definitely wouldn't say you are wrong!

Thunderbolt500

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:12 am

Texas77 wrote:
Aptivaboy wrote:

no I get it, I know exactly what they were doing and agree with you that most people don't know any better. and even fewer would know a 737 can't typically fly from Hawaii to Japan. I guess what I am, lamenting is that it took me literally about 15 seconds to search and figure out that Delta uses a 763 on that route. they really couldn't be bothered with that level of effort?

and maybe people in general wouldn't be so clueless if a) they were given more accurate info and b) people like the media were forced to be a little more "motivated" by people who know and care.

no fight at all, I am just ripping on lazy media types, definitely wouldn't say you are wrong![/quote
Isn't it like 4000-5000 miles that's would to cramp in 737 for that Long

Ziyulu

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:34 am

US carriers use 757s to Europe. How much further can Japan be from Hawaii?

lightsaber

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:57 am

WIederling wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
As someone on the "vendor side" of aviation, this is a definitive black swan situation. It will, in my opinion, take over a year for growth to require more aircraft.

What do you propose?
Fly anyway?
Spread the virus even faster for a "better epidemic" ?
I suppose some crafty person or other could get rich with selling protection.

I stated a black swan event, a change in thinking. The capitalist companies will shrink quickly, including layoffs. For my industry, it will mean a recession.

It means that secondary industries will see a cut in business. My solutions are for my employer, but sadly this puts the brakes on hiring soon.

Judging by how little shipping is leaving China, this isn't going to impact just my industry.

https://theloadstar.com/container-shipp ... ch-longer/

Air travel feeds cruises, I'd bet that drops. Wasn't it Virgin just launching a cruise line? Hmmm...

Sadly, it means customers will be forced to take widebodies they don't need.

It is hunker down for a year time for aircraft/engine makers. Time to sell cheap to DL, WN, and other airlines ready for narrowbody replacement, at the right price.

If industry falters, invest in infrastructure to enable the next uptick. For example, runways, terminals, and surface transportation to airports.

Lightsaber

acomp

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:21 am

Ziyulu wrote:

Not sure Delta ever operated 757 scheduled service between HNL and Japan.
Maybe some charter flight?
They have ferried 757 to Japan for Intra-Japan & Japan-Micronesia services.

Aaron747

Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:25 pm

acomp wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Not sure Delta ever operated 757 scheduled service between HNL and Japan.
Maybe some charter flight?
They have ferried 757 to Japan for Intra-Japan & Japan-Micronesia services.

Lots of 757s over the years from GUM/SPN to NRT/FUK/NGO/KIX/etc. Likely never to HNL from mainland Japan unless ferry.

workhorse

Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:38 pm

Curious.

There is an Air China 77W flying right now from PEK to JFK:

https://www.flightradar24.com/CCA981/23e97660

Since all foreign citizens who have been to China in the preceding 14 days have been reportedly banned from entering the US, who is on board of this plane? Only US citizens? And the crew? Are they allowed to disembark or do they have to fly both crews there and back?

theaviator380

Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:48 pm

workhorse wrote:
Curious.

Since all foreign citizens who have been to China in last 14 days have been reportedly banned from entering the US, who is onboard this plane? Only US citizens? And the crew? Are they allowed to disembark or do they have to fly both crews there and back?

If you see around that plane, there are 3 more planes, PVG-YYZ, PVG-JFK both China Eastern as well as PVG-YUL (Air China)

Surprising isn't it ?

Kno

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:12 pm

workhorse wrote:
Curious.

Since all foreign citizens who have been to China in the preceding 14 days have been reportedly banned from entering the US, who is on board of this plane? Only US citizens? And the crew? Are they allowed to disembark or do they have to fly both crews there and back?

I’m guessing a lot of this might be connecting traffic to asian destinations less affected by the virus.

For example, back in December I bought a ticket on Air China from jfk-pek-hnd round trip for barely over $500 for a vacation at the end of March.

It looks like I’ll have to cancel that trip - frankly I’m not so worried about getting the virus, I’m more worried about getting detained and quarantined or some new precaution occurring during the trip that prevents me from returning home.

theaviator380

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:21 pm

Kno wrote:
workhorse wrote:
Curious.

I’m guessing a lot of this might be connecting traffic to asian destinations less affected by the virus.

For example, back in December I bought a ticket on Air China from jfk-pek-hnd round trip for barely over $500 for a vacation at the end of March.

It looks like I’ll have to cancel that trip - frankly I’m not so worried about getting the virus, I’m more worried about getting detained and quarantined or some new precaution occurring during the trip that prevents me from returning home.

How safe trip could be if someone has to visit US from EU in late March? would there be big risk of catching this nasty bug?

VRHNM

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:26 pm

Hong Kong Airlines have begun the process to sack around 400 employees, including 150-180 flight attendants (regardless of if they have chosen the option to take no pay leave).
400 employees account to approximately 10% of the company's workforce.

Source: https://inews.hket.com/article/2568669/ ... UpXx-s0wiw (Cantonese only)

btfarrwm

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:28 pm

I'm curious about safety measures being taken on the Kalitta 747F being used for evacuations. How many seats are allowed? Where are the emergency exits? What about O2 masks in case of depressurization?

VRHNM

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:45 pm

Two Cathay Pacific 777-300s (A models non-ER) have been flown to HND from HKG to ferry passengers back stuck on the Diamond Princess (chartered by the Hong Kong Government).
Exact nationals of the passengers on these two flights yet to be confirmed but may include Mainland Chinese.

B-HNM and B-HNP operating CX8543 and CX8549.

Rumour has it that CX crew operating these flights have not been required to self-quarantine for 14 days afterwards and have been rostered on other CX flights.

workhorse

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:15 pm

theaviator380 wrote:
workhorse wrote:
Curious.

Since all foreign citizens who have been to China in last 14 days have been reportedly banned from entering the US, who is onboard this plane? Only US citizens? And the crew? Are they allowed to disembark or do they have to fly both crews there and back?

If you see around that plane, there are 3 more planes, PVG-YYZ, PVG-JFK both China Eastern as well as PVG-YUL (Air China)

Surprising isn't it ?

AFAIK, Canada does not restrict travel from China as of now (other than from the worst hit areas in Hubei from which you can not travel anyway because of Chinese restrictions).

workhorse

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:18 pm

Kno wrote:
workhorse wrote:
Curious.

Connecting TO: maybe. But connecting FROM? In my understanding, if you flew HND-PEK-JFK, you HAVE been on Chinese soil, so in principle you will be turned away / put in quarantaine / jailed / executed (joke) upon your arrival to JFK.

So the question remains: who is on board of B-2045 currently heading to JFK?

jeffrey0032j

Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:02 pm

It appears that there is some sort of containment/isolation module in those Kalitta flights, which may help explain the use of 744Fs.

https://ibb.co/qMpv7Xm

Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:22 pm

Up until now. How many percent of domestic flights are in the air? I see not too much are flying since the beginning of this month.

Waterbomber2

Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:46 pm

workhorse wrote:
Kno wrote:
workhorse wrote:
Curious.

Connecting TO: maybe. But connecting FROM? In my understanding, if you flew HND-PEK-JFK, you HAVE been on Chinese soil, so in principle you will be turned away / put in quarantaine / jailed / executed (joke) upon your arrival to JFK.

Americans including Chinese Americans who have family in China and are coming back + cargo + empty seats.

For Americans who traveled there in the past 14 days, the US Department of Homeland Security said there are a total of 11 designated airports -- including John F. Kennedy International Airport, Los Angeles International Airport and Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport -- where travelers can enter the United States.
Those airports, the government said, have more resources to conduct enhanced screening procedures.
If passengers are screened and show no symptoms they will be re-booked to their final destination and asked to "self-quarantine" inside their home, DHS says

Source: cnn

1989worstyear

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:22 pm

theaviator380 wrote:
Kno wrote:
workhorse wrote:
Curious.

How safe trip could be if someone has to visit US from EU in late March? would there be big risk of catching this nasty bug?

Currently the risk in those continents is very low, so you should be fine for Europe-US if things remain where they are now in one month.

EDIT: also make sure you haven't been to China in the last 2-3 weeks.

workhorse

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:27 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
workhorse wrote:

Americans including Chinese Americans who have family in China and are coming back + cargo + empty seats.

For Americans who traveled there in the past 14 days, the US Department of Homeland Security said there are a total of 11 designated airports -- including John F. Kennedy International Airport, Los Angeles International Airport and Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport -- where travelers can enter the United States.
Those airports, the government said, have more resources to conduct enhanced screening procedures.
If passengers are screened and show no symptoms they will be re-booked to their final destination and asked to "self-quarantine" inside their home, DHS says

I see. Missed that bit of info. Thanks.

So, what about the crew? Can they get out of the airplane?

TC957

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:34 pm

I'm surprised the Kalitta 747's didn't use Yokota AFB for these evac flights instead of HND.

zakuivcustom

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:14 pm

workhorse wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:
workhorse wrote:

Air crews are exempted.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential ... ronavirus/

Sec. 2(a): "Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:"
Sec. 2(a)(vii): "any alien traveling as a nonimmigrant under section 101(a)(15)(C) or (D) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(15)(C) or (D), as a crewmember or any alien otherwise traveling to the United States as air or sea crew;"

LAXintl

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:24 pm

TC957 wrote:
I'm surprised the Kalitta 747's didn't use Yokota AFB for these evac flights instead of HND.

Tokyo cruise port is adjacent to Haneda airport.

ShamrockBoi330

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:24 pm

9H-MIP positioned CDG yesterday... doing another ecav flight to China?

workhorse

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:48 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
workhorse wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:

Air crews are exempted.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential ... ronavirus/

Sec. 2(a): "Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:"
Sec. 2(a)(vii): "any alien traveling as a nonimmigrant under section 101(a)(15)(C) or (D) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(15)(C) or (D), as a crewmember or any alien otherwise traveling to the United States as air or sea crew;"

Got it. Thanks.

Hmm... That's interesting. One of the explanations given in the French media as to why AF stopped flying to China was that "crew who do Chinese flights will not be able to do US ones which will cause difficulties in scheduling". So I guess we can call bullshit on this one.

acomp

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:23 pm

VRHNM wrote:
Hong Kong Airlines have begun the process to sack around 400 employees, including 150-180 flight attendants (regardless of if they have chosen the option to take no pay leave).
400 employees account to approximately 10% of the company's workforce.

Source: https://inews.hket.com/article/2568669/ ... UpXx-s0wiw (Cantonese only)

Some Chinese news sites reported that HX's parent company Hainan Airlines might be taken over by government-owned airlines (Air China, China Eastern, and China Southern).
If so, it could spell the end of Hong Kong Airlines.

qf789

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:23 pm

Today if first half results Qantas has announced changes due to Coronavirus

QF and JQ to reduced Australia-NZ by 5%
SYD-PVG remains suspended
SYD-HKG reduces from 14 to 7 weekly
BNE-HKG reduces from 7 to 4 weekly
MEL-HKG reduced from 7 to 5 weekly
MEL-SIN A380 replaced by 789
Domestic capacity to be reduced by 2.3%
Overall capacity reduction is equivalent to grounding 18 aircraft
JQ to reduce CNS-NRT, CNS-KIX, OOL-NRT, SYD-HKT and MEL-HKT by up to 2 weekly each

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... ronavirus/

Waterbomber2

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:16 pm

Several Korean carriers are on the brink, pushed by the Novel Corona Virus crisis.

All of Asiana Airlines executives offer to resign amid low profit on coronavirus spread
Struggling Asiana Airlines declares emergency mode

Korean full-service carrier Asiana Airlines said Tuesday that all executives, including the CEO, have offered to resign to improve the company’s financial health, which has been severely hurt by the latest outbreak of the coronavirus that has cut into aviation services.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200218000829

zeke

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:16 pm

acomp wrote:

Some Chinese news sites reported that HX's parent company Hainan Airlines might be taken over by government-owned airlines (Air China, China Eastern, and China Southern).
If so, it could spell the end of Hong Kong Airlines.

The takeover of HNA group by the government of Hainan is being reported on CNBC and Bloomberg.

From https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/19/china-t ... -says.html

Fair use quote

“China plans to take over HNA Group Co and sell off its airline assets, as the coronavirus outbreak has hit the Chinese conglomerate’s ability to meet financial obligations, Bloomberg reported on Wednesday, citing people familiar with the matter.

The government of Hainan, the southern province where HNA is based, is in talks to take control of the conglomerate, the report said. HNA directly controls or holds stakes in a number of local carriers, including its flagship Hainan Airlines.”

AngelsDecay

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:39 pm

Portuguese EuroAtlantic 777 CS-TFM was also scheduled yesterday to go to Tokyo

blandy62

Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:03 am

VRHNM wrote:

Rumour has it that CX crew operating these flights have not been required to self-quarantine for 14 days afterwards and have been rostered on other CX flights.

If true (but not surprising in HK...), that's sound quite unwise

Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:15 am

SIA, MAS and various airlines cuts globally as CoronaVirus hits the region.

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/ ... d19-impact

Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:25 am

SQ also reduce flights to many cities worldwide during the month of March, April and May 2020. Meanwhile, other airlines e.g Scoot, Emirates, Qatar and other airlines that flies out of SIN (except Chinese and Hong Kong Airlines) has no plan to reduce at this moment,

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pdf/ ... d2a4504161

JayinKitsap

Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:34 am

In a strange twist, the airlines with MAX planes may be thankful, as Boeing is paying for the loss of use with the grounding. All of the other planes on the ground it is a cost to the airlines.

32andBelow

Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:28 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
Several Korean carriers are on the brink, pushed by the Novel Corona Virus crisis.

All of Asiana Airlines executives offer to resign amid low profit on coronavirus spread

Korean full-service carrier Asiana Airlines said Tuesday that all executives, including the CEO, have offered to resign to improve the company’s financial health, which has been severely hurt by the latest outbreak of the coronavirus that has cut into aviation services.

Is that a bad translation? Why would they resign. Wouldn’t they just forgo their salary?

dampfnudel

Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:45 am

JayinKitsap wrote:
In a strange twist, the airlines with MAX planes may be thankful, as Boeing is paying for the loss of use with the grounding. All of the other planes on the ground it is a cost to the airlines.

I’m sure Boeing’s legal department will look into the possibility of reducing the compensation in light of flight suspensions caused by the outbreak/reduced demand.

FlyingHonu001

Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:18 am

Due to the corona virus, KL has changed S20 flightscheduling and doing some equipment swaps

This is how extra flights come from Amsterdam to:

Los Angeles. Every Saturday between 2 and 20 May, performed by a Boeing 777-200ER.
San Francisco. Every Thursday between April 30 and May 28, performed by a Boeing 787-9.
Salt Lake City. Every Tuesday between April 28 and May 26, performed by a Boeing 787-9.
Boston. Every Tuesday between March 31 and April 28, performed by an Airbus A330-300.
Las Vegas. Wednesday 20 and 27 May, performed by a Boeing 787-9.
New York JFK. On Sunday 29 March, between 5 April and 3 May, and between 10 and 31 May. Performed by a Boeing 787-9 and a 777-200ER.
Edmonton. On Tuesday between 5 and 26 May, performed by an A330-200.
Toronto. On Thursdays between 2 and 28 April, performed by a Boeing 777-200ER.
Curacao. On Wednesday between 1 and 22 April, and on Wednesday and Friday between 29 April and 15 May. Carried out by an A330-200.
Bogota and Cartagena. On Monday between April 27 and May 25, performed by a Boeing 787-9.
Mumbai. On Saturdays between 4 and 25 April, between 2 and 6 May, and between 23 and 30 May. Performed by different types.
Bangalore. On Sundays between 3 and 17 May, and on Fridays between 22 and 31 May. Performed by a mix of 787-9 and 777-200ER.

From 10 March, KLM will change the type of aircraft deployed to Hong Kong from a Boeing 777-200ER to a Boeing 787-9. The latter has slightly less capacity. In addition, the aircraft types will in any case be changed in March to the following destinations:

Lagos (LOS)
Accra (ACC
Kigali (KGL) / Entebbe (EBB)
San José (SJO) / Liberia (LIR)
Las Vegas (LAS)
Calgary (YYC)
Minneapolis (MSP)
Atlanta (ATL)
Montreal (YUL)
Vancouver (YVR)
Rio de Janeiro (GIG)
Aruba (AUA) / Bonaire (BON)
Taipei (TPE) / Manila (MNL)

Source: https://insideflyer.nl/klm-voert-wijzig ... ronavirus/

ZazuPIT

Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:05 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:

WaPo is reporting that South Korea is seeing a spike of new cases, including at least one death. Seems to be in and around Daegu. I would expect some knock-on effect to the carriers flying there, and more if the virus spreads in that nation.

greenair727

Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:21 pm

^very well could be. Is South Korea requiring 14-day isolation for all persons who had been in China? If not, and airlines are still flying there, we'll see more and more cases. There are now over 100 confirmed cases in S Korea.

lightsaber

Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:21 pm

Does anyone have a link to the number of currently parked aircraft? It must be going off the charts.

ZazuPIT wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:

WaPo is reporting that South Korea is seeing a spike of new cases, including at least one death. Seems to be in and around Daegu. I would expect some knock-on effect to the carriers flying there, and more if the virus spreads in that nation.

My work already requires VP signature for flights transferring in Singapore. Double VP signatures for transfer through China or Hong Kong. If this breaks out, Japan and South Korea will be added. Daegu is Seoul adjacent... Not that far from ICN...

Lightsaber

zakuivcustom

Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:51 pm

ZazuPIT wrote:

greenair727 wrote:
^very well could be. Is South Korea requiring 14-day isolation for all persons who had been in China? If not, and airlines are still flying there, we'll see more and more cases. There are now over 100 confirmed cases in S Korea.

lightsaber wrote:
My work already requires VP signature for flights transferring in Singapore. Double VP signatures for transfer through China or Hong Kong. If this breaks out, Japan and South Korea will be added. Daegu is Seoul adjacent... Not that far from ICN...

It's a giant cluster in Daegu involving one church. Think a Diamond Princess-style pandemics rather than multiple clusters of community spread (The latter happening in Hong Kong and also very likely Japan, and to certain extent, Singapore).

But yes, Daegu is on the edge right now as they fear the city will turn into a Wuhan due to the possibility of tertiary spread.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN20E04F

Aviation-wise, though, South Korea was already seeing cuts here and there. The aviation industry there, especially LCCs, is facing a "triple whammy" as the demand first dropped from its largest international market (Japan) due to the trade spat/"boycott Japan" sentiment. That was follow by a huge drop in its second largest international market, mainland PRC, due to the much reduced demand between the two countries. Now they're facing a 3rd whammy with South Korea themselves seeing cuts to SK-origin markets like Vietnam and Thailand.

mercure1

Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:19 pm

Air France-KLM warned of a 150 million to 200 million euro ($162 million to $216 million) hit to earnings by April as it contends with the epidemic’s “brutal” impact on the airline industry.

Like many global airlines, Air France-KLM has canceled flights to mainland China until the end of March, basing its impact estimate on the assumption that flights will then gradually resume. “That’s the hypothesis we’re using for the moment, but we don’t know how credible it is,” Chief Financial Officer Frederic Gagey said. “Obviously if it lasts longer, the impact will be heavier.” —

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-air- ... SKBN20E0KN

Clackers

Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:51 pm

Singapore Airlines Group are being extraordinarily irrespondible.

All eastbound Scoot flights should be grounded, westbound flights reduced by 50%.

SilkAir needs to be 100% grounded. Nobody flies with them anyway lol.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos