Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ptcflyer

Re: Corona Virus outbreak - Aviation related News and Discussion Thread

Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:24 pm

Delta, AMR, and SWA may wish to get those employee bonuses back! Viral diseases are a reminder of the inherent risk that airlines, hotels, and cruise ships have in such highly capitalized industries where revenue can go to zero faster than a sneeze. Long term investors may require a greater return on investors and the airline PE ratios may end up remaining lower long term reflect this risk.

RvA

Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:26 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
adambrau wrote:
Of the top of my head:

Air Italy is/has gone bankrupt.

Alitalia has several flights a day to Milan and Rome to JFK. Cannot speak to other routes.

UA/AA/DL must have several daily flights.

EK daily to MXP JFK.

Then every European airline is a one stop connection.

You can drive from Italy to Switzerland and France.

By boat to France.

You can't stop travel from Italy.

Not even if you are the President.

You certainly could. France, Swiss and Austria close the border, airlines stop flying. No different than china. A lot easier than China I would argue. Italy is tiny by comparison.

How do you close borders within Schengen when there are no border posts anymore in most places (Switzerland still has most of theirs manned) and you can just walk from one country easily. How would you plan to stop that?

KlimaBXsst

Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:17 pm

Honestly in the US I was far more concerned 1 month ago than I am now about this Virus cause US airlines and the world airlines were still flying into the Hot Zone of China and Asia which was doing nothing to S L O W the spread.

Once the airlines stopped flying to many of these places I felt it allowed us time to slow down and begin the containment process.

That is why the rest of the world does not nearly have the same level of affliction China does. Of course though Corona knows not borders.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

pualani

Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:51 pm

Hawaiian just cancelled all HNL-ICN flights until further notice

DLvsWN

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:01 pm

The more interesting aspect is what to do when the virus becomes endemic. Once a significant number of cases start being transmitted throughout continental Europe, etc, it's game over--there will be no point even trying to limit contact/travel with certain countries in Asia or Northern Italy. The virus will spread throughout LATAM, Africa, ME, the subcontinent, etc. There will be no stopping it, and we might as well just resume flights everywhere at that point, or do so as consumer demand dictates (which is more or less what's happening now).

We're not going to reach some stasis where China, SK, Iran, and Northern Italy are no-go zones for an extended amount of time, with the rest of the world limiting contact successfully and containing the virus. Within a week, the list of "no-go zones" will be three times longer. Get ready for a big temporary slowdown in global travel.

KlimaBXsst

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:12 pm

I feel for Cathay Pacific.

It will be interesting to see how the ability to contain this virus in different parts of Asia meets with success, compared to the mainland.

1989worstyear

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:33 pm

DLvsWN wrote:
The more interesting aspect is what to do when the virus becomes endemic. Once a significant number of cases start being transmitted throughout continental Europe, etc, it's game over--there will be no point even trying to limit contact/travel with certain countries in Asia or Northern Italy. The virus will spread throughout LATAM, Africa, ME, the subcontinent, etc. There will be no stopping it, and we might as well just resume flights everywhere at that point, or do so as consumer demand dictates (which is more or less what's happening now).

We're not going to reach some stasis where China, SK, Iran, and Northern Italy are no-go zones for an extended amount of time, with the rest of the world limiting contact successfully and containing the virus. Within a week, the list of "no-go zones" will be three times longer. Get ready for a big temporary slowdown in global travel.

...and a mass permanent wave of early fleet retirements for all models except the following:

A320
A330
737 NG
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

geardown

Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:15 pm

pualani wrote:
Hawaiian just cancelled all HNL-ICN flights until further notice

Temporarily until April 30 says the press release

32andBelow

Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:21 pm

1989worstyear wrote:
DLvsWN wrote:

...and a mass permanent wave of early fleet retirements for all models except the following:

A320
A330
737 NG

Lol all the a350s and 787s are gonna get retired. Lmao.

VS11

Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:31 pm

The MAX crisis and plane shortage is solved by all of those wide-bodies not doing their originally scheduled flights. :)

1989worstyear

Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:32 pm

32andBelow wrote:
1989worstyear wrote:
DLvsWN wrote:

A320
A330
737 NG

Oops - I should have mentioned the Airbuses were "CEO's".

I bet my life savings there will be zero 757's, 767's (even newer builds from the last 10 years), and A340's flying pax in a year because of this. Even LH and KE's 748's might be at risk.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

KanaHawaii

Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:44 pm

It seems to me that while the American carriers are suspending their routes (first to China, and now to Korea), the national airlines of those affected areas are still flying into the US. Yes, alibiet on a reduced schedule, with some of their services suspended. But the fact that the Asian country is not pulling as far back as the American carriers is telling.

davidjohnson6

Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:18 am

I work for a large investment bank. New policy emailed out to all employees earlier this week discourages all business travel to lots of places and makes clear personal travel to those places would not be a good idea. Haven't spoken to the travel dept, but I imagine spending right now is being cut pretty fast

32andBelow

Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:23 am

1989worstyear wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
1989worstyear wrote:

A320
A330
737 NG

Oops - I should have mentioned the Airbuses were "CEO's".

I bet my life savings there will be zero 757's, 767's (even newer builds from the last 10 years), and A340's flying pax in a year because of this. Even LH and KE's 748's might be at risk.

You think Iceland air delta United American are gonna retire all their 757s and 767s by next year. You are insane m8. I’ll take your bet.

myki

Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:56 am

RJ and FR have suspended flights from Jordan to Italy

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-26feb20/

malioil

Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:29 am

Bahrain CAA extends suspension of all flights BAH-DXB/SHJ through to February 28, effecting GF, EK, FZ, G9.

Bahrain CAA suspends all flights to Lebanon and Iraq, effecting GF and IA.

Bahrain CAA orders frequency reduction on regional routes effecting various airlines.

cv990Coronado

Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:10 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
I work for a large investment bank. New policy emailed out to all employees earlier this week discourages all business travel to lots of places and makes clear personal travel to those places would not be a good idea. Haven't spoken to the travel dept, but I imagine spending right now is being cut pretty fast

Surely this is going to have a massive effect on EK and QR as logically with their business model the exposure to the virius is greater than with point to point carriers.
SSC-707B727 737-741234SP757/762/3/772/WA300/10/319/2/1-342/3/6-880-DAM-VC10 TRD 111 Ju52-DC8/9/10/11-YS11-748-VCV DH4B L

planecane

Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:23 am

KanaHawaii wrote:
It seems to me that while the American carriers are suspending their routes (first to China, and now to Korea), the national airlines of those affected areas are still flying into the US. Yes, alibiet on a reduced schedule, with some of their services suspended. But the fact that the Asian country is not pulling as far back as the American carriers is telling.

Telling of what? I can't tell what you are suggesting.

NearMiss

Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:44 am

I work at a hotel here in Santiago, Chile. We usually get lots of chinese tourists during the year, using our hotel as a stop on their way to Easter Island. Since the outbreak, all the reservations coming from mainland China and Hong Kong we had for February and March got cancelled.

Can't imagine what will happen to the tourism industry here if we get the first confirmed Coronavirus case.
"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

melpax

Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:57 am

Flight Centre has reduced their full-year profit guidance. Their CEO is hopeful of a quick rebound....

https://www.theage.com.au/business/comp ... 544uf.html

And a Melbourne private school has sent out letters to parents, warning them to give 'careful thought' when making travel plans for the upcoming Easter school holidays, warning that their children may not be able to 'return to school' if they're impacted by Coronavirus...

https://www.3aw.com.au/coronavirus-conc ... ay-travel/
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

asdf

Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:07 pm

DLvsWN wrote:
The more interesting aspect is what to do when the virus becomes endemic. Once a significant number of cases start being transmitted throughout continental Europe, etc, it's game over--there will be no point even trying to limit contact/travel with certain countries in Asia or Northern Italy.

it will make a difference for the next 18 to 24 months

that is the timespan, expected for worldwide distribution of the virus
any delay in distribution helps because maybe they find a antidote or a treatment method

if it is distributed worldwide then there is really no more point in reducing travel
as long as it does not mutate

invertalon

Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:51 pm

I have travel booked via DL from the US to Munich in May, but I am curious how this will effect it. I have booked non-refundable fare tickets, but hoping if it does indeed spread throughout Europe (and the US and anywhere else) that DL will allow cancellation of some sort if it becomes that bad. Not sure i'd want to risk travel if this isn't under control by then.
Last edited by invertalon on Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

enilria

Re: Delta Reduces Seoul by More than Half Amid Outbreak, Manila Delayed Till May

Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:53 pm

tphuang wrote:
Those wide-bodies being redeployed to Europe are going to see some pretty low yields.

Europe is going to be hit soon. With B6 offering no change on tickets which are 90% domestic, one has to wonder what is going to happen with international travel even to Europe.

Western727

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:18 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Is UAE is on that list, if you don't mind answering? My family of 4 has tickets for 13 March on a 380 to DXB to visit my expat sister and her family, who live in Ruwais City, west of AUH. Needless to say, we've been looking forward to the trip for some time...but if it's not safe to go, it's not safe to go. TIA.
Jack @ AUS

tphuang

Re: Delta Reduces Seoul by More than Half Amid Outbreak, Manila Delayed Till May

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:20 pm

enilria wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Those wide-bodies being redeployed to Europe are going to see some pretty low yields.

Europe is going to be hit soon. With B6 offering no change on tickets which are 90% domestic, one has to wonder what is going to happen with international travel even to Europe.

The b6 announcement makes me think that domestic booking is weakening despite what the carriers have been saying.

I would be shocked if the current level of widebody redeployment to Europe will last. It's just a matter of time before you see outbreaks in France and Germany.

Polot

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:21 pm

Western727 wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Is UAE is on that list, if you don't mind answering? My family of 4 has tickets for 13 March on a 380 to DXB to visit my expat sister and her family, who live in Ruwais City, west of AUH. Needless to say, we've been looking forward to the trip for some time...but if it's not safe to go, it's not safe to go. TIA.

The biggest current risk with the ME3 hubs is that while Dubai/Doha/etc may be relatively virus free you don’t know exactly where the passengers sitting in the plane with you have been since the ME3 carry huge volumes of connecting traffic.

mcogator

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:31 pm

I've been to LAX 6 times in the past 2 weeks, all at different times, and to say I've never seen it so easy to drive in and out, is an understatement. Case in point, my parents were returning from a week long trip in Hawaii with my brother and his wife, and were going to stay with me one night and head back to Florida the next day. I finished work late and didnt leave my apartment in downtown LA until my mom texted me they had landed. This was at 856pm. At 911pm she texted me that they were off the plane, and at 918pm she texted they were curbside at 5E, and I pulled up at 919pm. If anyone is familiar with LAX, they would have been waiting for 30+ minutes at that hour for me to pick them up from 5e arrivals at that hour. Now I have no problem picking up family and friends from LAX, as before I would say, get an Uber.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

LHLX

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:39 pm

EL AL just announced the temporary halt of all their flights between TLV and BKK, FCO, MXP, VCE and NAP (NAP is served by their subsidiary SunDor). Also, they are delaying their new route Between TLV and NRT from March 11 til April 4th...

Hebrew language article: https://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340, ... l#autoplay

Western727

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:42 pm

Polot wrote:
Western727 wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

The biggest current risk with the ME3 hubs is that while Dubai/Doha/etc may be relatively virus free you don’t know exactly where the passengers sitting in the plane with you have been since the ME3 carry huge volumes of connecting traffic.

Agreed. We're doing IAH-DXB-IAH...in Y, which obviously means close quarters. :crowded:
Jack @ AUS

UpNAWAy

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:55 pm

This is the best airline stock buying opportunity since 9/11, without near the risk of BK as at that time......Buy. Buy, Buy!!!

mxaxai

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:56 pm

Germany is collecting additional personal information from travellers arriving from Italy, South Korea, Japan and Iran in addition to China. Passengers must fill in a paper form on arrival.
This allows the authorities to easily track and, if necessary, isolate passengers if they or someone in their vicinity develops symptoms.

mxaxai

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:58 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
This is the best airline stock buying opportunity since 9/11, without near the risk of BK as at that time......Buy. Buy, Buy!!!

I wouldn't be too sure. We may well see some airlines go bust that were just barely holding on before. Alitalia, Asiana or Hainan come to mind.

fanoftristars

Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:06 pm

While it's not part of the Travel Advisory, my flight to Rome on Delta which was completely full in Delta One now has seven open seats - looks like people may be changing even before they issue an advisory for Rome. They did issue an advisory for all northern airports including VCE and MXP.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

KlimaBXsst

Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:10 pm

One has to ask? In the US air travel is essential for so many people.

If we all of a sudden started having “hot zones” in say the regions near ORD, LAX, or JFK, in order to S L O W down the spread of the virus, “will” Airlines be “asked” to automatically reduce certain flying in such regions.

I feel “supply and demand” will be the factor in airline decisions long term, but say if a REALLY HOT ZONE appeared in St Louis all of a sudden, would the CDC request curtailing of flights until protocols to find the source, and disrupt the speed of travel were put in place to reduce the spread?

Would this apply to bus, train, and other forms of travel as well. I sure am looking forward to WARM weather and the END of cold and flu-corona SEASON.

intaJET

Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:12 pm

We are treading through a very dangerous and difficult time with this impending (it's not if, but when) pandemic. Regards business travel, many multi-nationals with global operations will adapt (for survival & necessity) to more video conference, meetings etc. Once things (hopefully) calm down and semi-normalize, it will impact business (highly lucrative for airlines) travel, as there will be even closer scrutiny (more so than normal) to travel budgets and expenditure, they will weigh-up the cost of physical travel against video). This may take (conservatively) well over 12 - 18 months to regain business travel momentum., This current situation is developing hourly (due to its globalized nature). Maybe travel will never be the same again, as occurred with 9/11. Hoping for the best for everyone.

AYVN

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:02 pm

Norwegian has lost more than 50% of it's share value in one week. Bumpy ride there. https://www.oslobors.no/ob_eng/markedsa ... E/overview
Must be one of the worst airline stocks for last five day's?

AA747123

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:05 pm

I would not be surprised to see layoffs in the industry the size of 9/11. Demand is already starting to plummet.

LAXintl

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:14 pm

mcogator wrote:
I've been to LAX 6 times in the past 2 weeks, all at different times, and to say I've never seen it so easy to drive in and out, is an understatement. Case in point, my parents were returning from a week long trip in Hawaii with my brother and his wife, and were going to stay with me one night and head back to Florida the next day. I finished work late and didnt leave my apartment in downtown LA until my mom texted me they had landed. This was at 856pm. At 911pm she texted me that they were off the plane, and at 918pm she texted they were curbside at 5E, and I pulled up at 919pm. If anyone is familiar with LAX, they would have been waiting for 30+ minutes at that hour for me to pick them up from 5e arrivals at that hour. Now I have no problem picking up family and friends from LAX, as before I would say, get an Uber.

Really not related.

Its currently the slowest time of year for travel anyways. Also LAX roadways have been quite easy to navigate since November when TNC companies which represented almost 30 percent of vehicle trips were moved away from the loop to their own staging lot.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

smokeybandit

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:15 pm

Some insight into how airlines are cleaning the planes used on the Wuhan rescue missions

https://www.theage.com.au/business/comp ... 544sz.html

zakuivcustom

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:29 pm

Not surprisingly, more cuts by KE and OZ:

Vietnam also cut back numerous flights to/from South Korea, some cancellations (Mainly DAD/CXR-ICN), other major downgauge (A359/B789 -> A321):

Meanwhile, major cuts for Peach (MM) in Japan, with their international network decimated:
https://www.flypeach.com/news/suspension

This I would argue is due to major drop in inbound demand going to Japan (The nCoV impact in Taiwan is relatively small compare to the rest of the region). I'm surprised they still manage to have 3 daily ICN-KIX flights, though.

United787

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:29 pm

konrad wrote:
United787 wrote:
Suspending US-Italy flights would be a good idea right now also even though most US-Italy flights are seasonal and aren't operating anyways, right? How many year round US-Italy flights are there?

You do realize that the majority of the US-Italy traffic is one-stop connecting somewhere, e.g. FRA, MUC, ZRH, CDG, AMS or LHR?

Yes but they could start banning entry of non-US citizens that have been to Iran + certain regions of Japan, Italy and South Korea regardless of their routing just like they did with China. Essentially anywhere with an outbreak. And US citizens that have been to these regions could be placed in quarantine for 14 days or whatever the proper protocol should be.

As the press conference yesterday, I was expecting to hear some more preventative measures the US is taking to slow the spread and make it more manageable. Instead I heard a downplaying of our risk in attempt to cool off the stock market. I think it is clear where Trump's priority's lie.

ncflyer

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:44 pm

Suspending flights to Italy? New cases now in Brazil, France, Israel, Germany, Switzerland, and I could go on. And on. The point where suspending a practical number of flights could be useful has now passed.

ugobeck

Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:01 pm

I was surprised to see my fellow Italians bounced back at both MRU and TLV. This is a fast-evolving issue, fine, but maybe they could have applied the new regulation only to flights departed after proper information to the airlines. Alitalia was in a huge mess (as if it were necessary) when required to bring people back from MRU on the same plane, that was fully booked for the returning flight

gatibosgru

Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:31 pm

Was surprised to see this from DL this early tbh:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisories/ ... n-in-italy
@DadCelo

janders

Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:47 pm

Even with the drawdown of China services, overall Asia-Pacific traffic grew in January per Association of Asia Pacific Airlines.

https://www.planestats.com/images/aapa_2020jan.jpeg
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

indcwby

Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:20 pm

When would you say that policies for airlines on postponing/cancelling flights get relaxed across the board? Especially when governments are calling for suspension of non-essential travel.
A319, A320, A330, A340, B717, B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, CRJ7, DC10, MD88, MD11, E145, E175
"Always remember that you fly an airplane with your head, not your hands."

danman132x

Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:50 pm

I have a trip in May also going to Germany. Who knows how this will play out by then, but it genuinely has me worried. I'm going there to visit elderly family and definitely don't want to give them this virus. How does delta typically handle this stuff given cancelations? Straight up refunds or just rebookings or maybe Delta travel credit? I don't want a refund since I used the tickets as part of my new credit card offer for skymiles and it would definitely go back on that and under a 3000 limit needed for the bonus miles.

Here's to hoping the virus will be under control, but I doubt that. I do know the common flu kills more than this virus as, but we don't know the extent of the media and how much they are up or downplaying it. Apparently Japan just canceled all school until after April

dmstorm22

Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:56 pm

danman132x wrote:
Apparently Japan just canceled all school until after April

There's also incentives here for a place like Japan to take more radical/stringent steps - they have the summer Olympics in July and will pull out every stop to make sure that it doesn't get cancelled.

gatibosgru

Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:24 pm

danman132x wrote:
How does delta typically handle this stuff given cancelations? Straight up refunds or just rebookings or maybe Delta travel credit? I don't want a refund since I used the tickets as part of my new credit card offer for skymiles and it would definitely go back on that and under a 3000 limit needed for the bonus miles.

As it stands right now with Italy, here's their policy:

To provide you with flexibility for your travel plans, we're offering you the following options to choose what best fits your travel needs.

Remain on your current flight.

We recommend you continue to monitor your flight status for the most up-to-date information using My Trips on delta.com or on the Fly Delta app.
Please note your current flight reservation will remain if you choose not to make any changes.

Change to a different flight.

If you select this option, you may make a one-time change and we will waive any applicable change fee.*
The change fee will display initially, however, once you select your new itinerary the change fee will be waived prior to checkout.
Note, if changes are made to the originally ticketed cities or rescheduled travel occurs beyond the guidelines, the change fee will be waived, however, a difference in fare may apply.*

You may choose to cancel your trip, and use the value towards a future flight.

You may cancel your flight and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original issue date.
Applicable change fee and fare difference will apply for new travel dates and will be collected at the time of booking the new ticket."
@DadCelo

MohawkWeekend

Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:36 pm

With the drawdown of service, might the A380's and 747's be most at risk of being taken out of service? Especially if load factors crater and First Class travelers head to chartered Gulfstreams.
    300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos