Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PepeTheFrog
Topic Author

Media: Boeing Dreamliner Production Problems Threaten The Aircraft's Safety, Former Quality Manager Warns

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:23 am

A whistleblower claims Boeing has serious quality problems with its 787 factory in North Charleston:

Former Boeing quality manager John Barnett worked on the company's flagship 787 Dreamliner in the United States but he does not consider any of the planes that left the company's North Charleston factory airworthy.

When he was moved to its new factory in North Charleston, South Carolina, he began to see serious problems in the manufacturing of aircraft.

"I haven't seen a plane out of Charleston yet that I would consider safe and airworthy," he said.

While inspecting the planes, he noticed metal shaving scraps, left over from the installation of floor panels, had fallen near electrical wiring on some of the completed planes.

"When you mix metal slivers with electrical components, it's a recipe for disaster," he said.

He believed the debris posed a fire risk, and alerted Boeing management, but says his concerns were brushed off and he was moved to a different area.

"[What they] told me was that it was too expensive for them to take the panels down and clean them," he said.

Full story: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-28/ ... t/11904396

Thoughts?
Last edited by SQ22 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated
Good moaning!

JayinKitsap

Re: Huge quality problems with 787 production in North Charleston

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:28 am

Isn't this the story that was out in October?!

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50293927

PepeTheFrog
Topic Author

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:30 am

JayinKitsap wrote:
Isn't this the story that was out in October?!

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50293927

That story was about oxygen masks.

The new story is about a potential fire risk.
Good moaning!

LAX772LR

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:30 am

The allegations are nothing new, and would be hardly surprising if true.

IINM, several airlines now are having aircraft built in CHS flown to BFI/PAE and inspected there for quality prior to delivery.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

PepeTheFrog
Topic Author

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:34 am

LAX772LR wrote:
IINM, several airlines now are having aircraft built in CHS flown to BFI/PAE and inspected there for quality prior to delivery.

There would be a reason why airlines do that.

And QR never accepted 787s from CHS.

Wouldn't it be easier if Boeing just addresses the quality issues in CHS?
Good moaning!

zeke

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:34 am

PepeTheFrog wrote:
While inspecting the planes, he noticed metal shaving scraps, left over from the installation of floor panels, had fallen near electrical wiring on some of the completed planes.

"When you mix metal slivers with electrical components, it's a recipe for disaster," he said.

Thoughts?

Having swarf in the fuselage would be evident in every aircraft built. The build process would have them to use a vacuum cleaner prior to the installation of the insulation to remove it.

This seems like a non story, the photo in the article I see no electrical cables.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

mjoelnir

Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:05 am

zeke wrote:
PepeTheFrog wrote:

Thoughts?

Having swarf in the fuselage would be evident in every aircraft built. The build process would have them to use a vacuum cleaner prior to the installation of the insulation to remove it.

This seems like a non story, the photo in the article I see no electrical cables.

I would say, that Boeing is already quite famous about forgetting about the vacuum cleaner. With the oxygen bottles the tenor here on a.net was also about an empty claim by a whistleblower. This article does say that Boeing addressed the oxygen bottle problem, so it must actually have been an unresolved problem.
I assume this non story reaction is perhaps not right, Boeing seems to need a push to correct such things. The in house communication lines does not seem to work for complaints.

smittythepirate

Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:39 am

LAX772LR wrote:

When was the last time a plane stopped at either location? Most deliveries I've seen are straight to the customer at this point.
www.jbweather.com

Exeiowa

Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:58 am

Lets see if the ignore the whistleblower line will stick this time. Because with the MAX its always why was there no whistleblower? Well this type of thread attitude is why....

RickNRoll

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:09 pm

PepeTheFrog wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

There would be a reason why airlines do that.

And QR never accepted 787s from CHS.

In other words, spend more on training their staff, paying for quality workers and having sufficient staff numbers.

zeke

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:34 pm

Exeiowa wrote:
Lets see if the ignore the whistleblower line will stick this time. Because with the MAX its always why was there no whistleblower? Well this type of thread attitude is why....

The industry has checks and balances in place for production issues even after delivery. There is literally thousands of mechanics work on 787s worldwide, if swarf was a safety issue it would be fed back into the oversight process with maintenance service difficulty reports. Service difficulty reports can be searched by anyone in the public.

I personally cannot see thousands of mechanics being silent over the issue if it existed.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

WesternDC6B

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:39 pm

Contract time again, eh?

/yes. I’m that cynical.
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

WayexTDI

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:50 pm

How many times will we have to hear about those quality problems at the CHS factory?

If those reports were true, how could Boeing and the FAA let them get brushed away and nothing be done?
I'm having a real hard time to believe that. As zeke said, if this was a widespread issue at CHS, I doubt thousands of employees would remain silent; someone (more than a handful of people) would speak, and those same employees have most likely been auditioned already (under oath on top of that).

LCDFlight

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:55 pm

We will hear about quality problems in CHS as long as organized labor is involved in Washington. I’m not saying it is false info, but I am saying we will hear this message regardless of whether it is true or false.

cedarjet

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:09 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
We will hear about quality problems in CHS as long as organized labor is involved in Washington. I’m not saying it is false info, but I am saying we will hear this message regardless of whether it is true or false.

So even though the problem is substandard pay and conditions because of a lack of organised labour, your answer is even less unionisation?

PS presumably we’ve all watched Al Jazeera’s documentary Broken Dreams which is available on YouTube, right?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

910A

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:17 pm

Didn't KLM complain about the quality of work on their 787-10 such as items including a loose seat, missing or wrongly installed cotter pins, nuts not fully tightened, an unsecured fuel line clamp and several unspecified missing parts, last summer?

Sokes

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:39 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
We will hear about quality problems in CHS as long as organized labor is involved in Washington.

I believe BMW also has a lot of organized labor.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

Noshow

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:43 pm

Aren't these the same machines and procedures for how things are built at Everett and Charleston? Where would any difference come from? The work will get tested before the next station.
I understand that this rivalry between unionized and non unionized can spoil relations between sites but practically can the final products be so different because of the location? How about Airbusses from Tianjin, Toulouse, Hamburg and Mobile?

ElroyJetson

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:26 pm

The key line is that the whistleblower was transferred to CHS. Sounds like a union guy making a case to unionize. Meh.....
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100

UpNAWAy

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:31 pm

Unions always claim they produce better work. The data does not support that.

JayBCN

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:44 pm

I believe these new quality issues and the reaction to them in this thread highlight the underlying root cause: here we have a national icon - Boeing - which is seen by many in the US to be too important to fail. So everyone wants them to not fail. And stops addressing the issues and ignores reality. If this lack of an ability to accept failure persists Boeing is doomed.

sulley

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:47 pm

You all are dismissing this as a union hit piece.

Has anyone actually experienced the quality of the labor force in Charleston? It's terrible.
In thrust we trust!

WayexTDI

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:50 pm

sulley wrote:

Has anyone actually experienced the quality of the labor force in Charleston? It's terrible.

If it was really terrible as you're saying, what is the FAA doing? They should have raided that facility a long time ago then.

Elementalism

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:59 pm

sulley wrote:

I have said my peace on labor in the south. We moved several factories north due to quality of work. But if the quality was so consistently bad on the 787.. Why havent the airline's mechanics reported these issues during their maintenance?

To me I think there is probably some politics between union and non-union labor involved in these whistleblower complaints. But there is some truth to the claims as well.

jwjsamster

Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:18 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
sulley wrote:

If it was really terrible as you're saying, what is the FAA doing? They should have raided that facility a long time ago then.

The FAA should have done a lot of things long time ago...

WIederling

Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:19 pm

RickNRoll wrote:
PepeTheFrog wrote:

In other words, spend more on training their staff, paying for quality workers and having sufficient staff numbers.

TLC. would work wonders.

Boeing is too busy pushing share value via showing how low they value their workforce.
firing a couple every now and then and other denigrating activities work wonders there.
Murphy is an optimist

WIederling

Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:22 pm

Elementalism wrote:
sulley wrote:

I have said my peace on labor in the south. We moved several factories north due to quality of work.

how do foreign companies see their workforce ( and right to work vs unionized )
I haven't seen negative commentary from/over automobile manufacture or the Airbus FAL.
Murphy is an optimist

LCDFlight

Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:45 pm

cedarjet wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

So even though the problem is substandard pay and conditions because of a lack of organised labour, your answer is even less unionisation?

PS presumably we’ve all watched Al Jazeera’s documentary Broken Dreams which is available on YouTube, right?

Who is having a problem? The problem is substandard pay and conditions? Did the FAA say that? I am unclear about your source for that emotion-based statement. Is there real information that there is a real problem at CHS? I bet there are teething problems setting up the new facility. Teething problems are eventually fixed, and fixed permanently. It sounds more like sour grapes about being outsourced to _a different part of the USA_. As an American, one does need to compete with other Americans within the industry.

hivue

Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:48 pm

My understanding is that the airlines go over each airplane stem to stern with a fine tooth comb prior to accepting delivery. How is all this supposed to be sneaking past them? I watched a YT video on Air Baltic taking delivery of an A-220 from Mirabel. One of the pilots said that new airframes may have 15 cycles on them by the time the airline is happy that there are no outstanding issues left and takes delivery.
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

bennett123

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:01 pm

jwjsamster

You say that the FAA would have picked this up.

Is that the same FAA that signed off the MAX.

ikolkyo

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:01 pm

I wish there was way to see some sort of statistic between CHS and PAE aircraft in terms of reliability and other parameters. I feel like if there really was a very serious issue we would know about with how many aircraft are now being pumped out of there. But you never know.

PW100

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:04 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

If they *FLY* them to BFI/PAE for inspection, it seems airworthiness is not of particular concern . . .
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

jwjsamster

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:11 pm

bennett123 wrote:
jwjsamster

That's what I'm saying, the FAA isn't known now for being a trustworthy or moving quickly when it came to grounding these aircraft.

They will wait until at least 2 787 to crash in similar crashes before even considering actually taking a proper look at it. And all of that would be after the rest of the world grounds them.

Waterbomber2

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:18 pm

zeke wrote:
Exeiowa wrote:

The industry has checks and balances in place for production issues even after delivery. There is literally thousands of mechanics work on 787s worldwide, if swarf was a safety issue it would be fed back into the oversight process with maintenance service difficulty reports. Service difficulty reports can be searched by anyone in the public.

I personally cannot see thousands of mechanics being silent over the issue if it existed.

Mechanics can't inspect all area's.
Wiring is fed through area's that are not inspected even during heavy checks. Sometimes it takes a fault or even a fire to find an issue.

There are area's that can't be inspected even by OEM inspectors once completed.

This was aoroblem when the kapton insulation problem was discovered. Inspecting the wiring was not always possible. It was

Egyptair 667 shows that this is to be taken very seriously. Metal shavings are a serious issue that mechanics are told to watch out for (EWIS training).
Any shavings pose a serious fire risk, among other potential issues.

zeke

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:29 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
Mechanics can't inspect all area's.
Wiring is fed through area's that are not inspected even during heavy checks. Sometimes it takes a fault or even a fire to find an issue.

Swarf tends to fall to the lowest point in the fuselage, these areas are normally inspected during heavy checks to see if water has accumulated and caused corrosion or freezing damage.

Wiring is not directly run in this area, it is normally more elevated (like the underside of the passenger and cargo floors) again to move it away from areas that are known to collect water.

ER757

Re: Media: Boeing Dreamliner Production Problems Threaten The Aircraft's Safety, Former Quality Manager Warns

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:36 pm

The whistle blower's comment that he hasn't seen one one aircraft come out of CHS that he'd consider airworthy hurts his credibility in my eyes - seriously, not ONE plane built properly?
Isn't that a bit of hyperbole?

Exeiowa

Re: Media: Boeing Dreamliner Production Problems Threaten The Aircraft's Safety, Former Quality Manager Warns

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:52 pm

As the person is stated to be in a management position, they would not likely be allowed to be in a union, under normal circumstances. Why can't people here just accept there *might* be a problem and that someone qualified will check things out and then let us know if its good, or tell them to fix it if its bad. I would feel happier being on a plane knowing that someone is making sure there isn't any smoke because of a fire. (pun intended) Why does it always have to turn into an A vs B or a pro/anti union thing. Surely the overall interest of all people who work and travel in the air is to get to their destination safely. If safety culture is a priority and put in place by an active leadership it becomes important to everyone else at all level of an organization. And would be grateful when someone has identified an opportunity to do things better. If you read the piece the concern was metal ending up in places hard to see/remove once insulation is put in. But if you are happy taking your chances please don't endanger the rest of us.

ElroyJetson

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:56 pm

jwjsamster wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
sulley wrote:

The FAA should have done a lot of things long time ago...

So I guess by your logic anything produced in the South is crap. Does that go for all the Airbus planes made in Mobile? Your central point is incredibly biased and insulting.
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100

Cdydatzigs

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:10 pm

RickNRoll wrote:

Any workers can be trained to do a particular task, they do not have to be unionized to do so.

Cdydatzigs

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:12 pm

bennett123 wrote:
jwjsamster

The FAA didn't sign off on many aspects of the MAX - they let Boeing do that. Hence the problem.

dstblj52

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:16 pm

Cdydatzigs wrote:
RickNRoll wrote:

Any workers can be trained to do a particular task, they do not have to be unionized to do so.

Certainly but in general an experience workforce can do things faster and better especially at first when their still debugging the production line.

wjcandee

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:21 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
The key line is that the whistleblower was transferred to CHS. Sounds like a union guy making a case to unionize. Meh.....

Without question. There are already a zillion checks in place to handle the kind of issues this guy is complaining about. If there were systemic issues, they would be identified. This has happened ever since the 787-10 went to CHS. All this talk about "substandard pay" and such is ridiculous. In fact, one study I saw indicated that when you compare the net-net for Washington State Boeing workers after union dues, taxes and such, and factor in the cost of living, the CHS folks make out way better. It's like saying that workers at a factory in Alabama who make a couple bucks less per hour than their compatriots in a factory in Queens, NY are getting "substandard" pay. In fact, compared to the New Yorkers, they would be living like kings.

WIederling

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:23 pm

ER757 wrote:
The whistle blower's comment that he hasn't seen one one aircraft come out of CHS that he'd consider airworthy hurts his credibility in my eyes - seriously, not ONE plane built properly?

perfect fodder for ISO 9000 :-)
you can make all the errors you want. But you have to be consistent and show perfect documentation of conformance.

being consistent would lead to all planes having undesired residuals.
Murphy is an optimist

wjcandee

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:28 pm

Didn't I just read about the Air Force complaining about the quality of work the UNION guys are pushing out on the 767 line in...what state was that again?

Fact is, rigorous quality inspection is something that has to be an ongoing process. regardless of where the workforce is.

WayexTDI

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:37 pm

dstblj52 wrote:
Cdydatzigs wrote:
RickNRoll wrote:

Certainly but in general an experience workforce can do things faster and better especially at first when their still debugging the production line.

An experienced workforce is not necessarily unionized, and an unionized workforce is not necessarily experienced.

seahawk

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:41 pm

wjcandee wrote:
ElroyJetson wrote:

Without question. There are already a zillion checks in place to handle the kind of issues this guy is complaining about. If there were systemic issues, they would be identified. This has happened ever since the 787-10 went to CHS. .

And if it is standard to overlook such issues they still can happen every time and not be reported. In the end the OEM is mostly self controlled during production, so if the inspectors are over looking something as a policy, the problem would be on every product. Is this likely, imho not. But given enough management pressure and monetary incentives to create additional peer pressure it is also not impossible.

smartplane

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:42 pm

Claims will be more vocal when production cuts are being discussed, and union and non-union sites are involved.

When A300's first arrived in the USA, minor defects were used to prevent / delay push backs, while US made planes flew with such issues ignored, to protect / flatter B, McD and L.

If 'real' issues, would expect FAA to make raids and look at the data (FTEU per aircraft built, experience per FTEU, dollars earned per FTEU, CAF's flown per aircraft, customer feedback / reports, etc) for the two sites.

Are Boeing trying to build aircraft at CHS with fewer staff, paid less, and less experienced? If yes, then CHS results may be good, and elsewhere productivity is low. A target somewhere between the two is the sweet spot.

Exeiowa

Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:32 pm

Quality is down to management systems that check things are done right not just checking boxes, it empowers workers to do things the right way and not cut corners. If there is a systematic problem at this facility its down to the leadership team directing the work.

Jetty

Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:52 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
How many times will we have to hear about those quality problems at the CHS factory?

If those reports were true, how could Boeing and the FAA let them get brushed away and nothing be done?
I'm having a real hard time to believe that. As zeke said, if this was a widespread issue at CHS, I doubt thousands of employees would remain silent; someone (more than a handful of people) would speak, and those same employees have most likely been auditioned already (under oath on top of that).

Many people at Boeing knew of issues with the MAX yet they all remained silent to the outside world while being very vocal in internal messages. The same might be going on at CHS.

It wouldn’t be thousands of people that are aware anyway. Most workers will have no reference as to what quality is expected.

Elementalism wrote:
But if the quality was so consistently bad on the 787.. Why havent the airline's mechanics reported these issues during their maintenance?

Airlines have reported issues even before maintenance.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines called the factory’s quality control “way below acceptable standards” for a 787-10 delivered at North Charleston in June.

“Who looks at quality in this facility,” KLM asked, adding the airline “is worried for the next deliveries.”

ER757

Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:02 pm

WIederling wrote:
ER757 wrote:

perfect fodder for ISO 9000 :-)
you can make all the errors you want. But you have to be consistent and show perfect documentation of conformance.

being consistent would lead to all planes having undesired residuals.

You gave me a good chuckle with the ISO 9000 remark - I remember the freakin' nightmare I went through getting our company ready for our initial ISO 9001 certification. Lots of sleepless nights