Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KlimaBXsst
Topic Author

Is American Airlines overloaded by bureaucratic Staffing?

Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:21 pm

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/po ... 594285002/

Can someone explain to me this job? Do airlines like American really have this much government need out of Phoenix? Kind of BeauBidesque. Hmmm

This makes me think AA is bureaucratically and managerially HEAVY.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

Varsity1

Re: Is American Airlines overloaded by bureaucratic Staffing?

Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:30 pm

We have a ton of mid level management, that's for sure.

Adipocere

Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:33 pm

It’s unusual to see he is moving FROM DC to Phoenix to take a government affairs job. I’d expect someone to make the move in the opposite direction.

afcjets

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:00 am

Adipocere wrote:
It’s unusual to see he is moving FROM DC to Phoenix to take a government affairs job. I’d expect someone to make the move in the opposite direction.

It says the job is Regional Director of Government Affairs out of their PHX hub. If his region is based in PHX, it makes the most sense for him to be there.
Last edited by afcjets on Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

MIflyer12

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:00 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona/2020/01/27/john-mccain-son-jack-excited-work-american-airlines-phoenix/4594285002/

Can someone explain to me this job? Do airlines like American really have this much government need out of Phoenix? Kind of BeauBidesque. Hmmm

This makes me think AA is bureaucratically and managerially HEAVY.

They hire one guy and you conclude management is bloated? That's certainly a more popular idea with rank and file than the reality that AA's unionized employees are less productive per wage dollar than employees at Delta, United, Alaska and Southwest.

LCDFlight

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:01 am

Great question, fairly easy to analyze versus Delta (I’ll assume they are best of breed at the moment). I believe the answer is YES AA has thousands more FTE workers than Delta controlling for passengers carried (station and HQ work depends more on passenger count than ASM I think). Whether managers or front line are the difference I don’t know. I suspect AA has more bureaucrats. Glad to learn more from people who work at both.

KlimaBXsst
Topic Author

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:12 am

MIflyer12 wrote:

They hire one guy and you conclude management is bloated? That's certainly a more popular idea with rank and file than the reality that AA's unionized employees are less productive per wage dollar than employees at Delta, United, Alaska and Southwest.

Thank you for replying. Just making sure the average baggage handler or agent knows there are vast amounts of opportunity out there in the PHX offices...

far from HDQ and Washington DC. I personally never realized there was such a great need for regional government affairs out of dusty little secondary hub PHX.

How many other hubs have this position I wonder? Sorry inform me. I am grateful for insight.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

alasizon

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:14 am

There is a Government Affairs director in each hub with their own area of oversight. From what I recall, LAX covers the West Coast and Hawaii, PHX covers the Mountain West and Kansas, DFW covers the western South and southern Midwest, and so on. The only ones that are self contained are NYC and DCA due to the total level of bureaucratic BS in those areas.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

SteelChair

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:20 am

Appears to be just a total political patronage job.

Amost all American corporations are top heavy, and the management is over compensated to boot.

TEY1330

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:11 am

It’s not unusual at all for large corporations to have legislative liaisons with state legislators and local officials where they have operations.

Adipocere

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:17 am

afcjets wrote:
Adipocere wrote:

It says the job is Regional Director of Government Affairs out of their PHX hub. If his region is based in PHX, it makes the most sense for him to be there.

I see. It makes more sense if his job is to liaison with the local Governors, State legislatures and City councils. Maybe the job description needs wording tweaked around to say Director of Regional Government Affairs...

ytib

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:17 am

State and Local Affairs is quite significant for all the airlines. From working with the local entities to get more for less, as well as all those SCASD grants written for specific airlines.

A quick Google search finds they exist in many areas for Delta and United. United just had an opening for the same role in Denver last year. The only reason why this got any coverage is because the name McCain.
318, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 388, 707, 717, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73Q, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 752, 753, 742, 74L, 744, 762, 763, 772, 77L, 77W, 789, 142, CN1, CR2, CR7, DC8, DH2, DH8, D8Q, D10, D95, EM2, ER3, ER4, E70, 100, J31, M11, M83, M88, M90, SF3

TVNWZ

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:19 am

Smart move. He will be a lobbyist. And when he swaggers into an airport commission meeting where AA is wanting better/more facilities AA will have a better chance to get what they want. Probably without paying for it. The McCain name still has major clout in the west and Hawaii. Again, smart.

CALMSP

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:27 am

UA has the same setup at their hubs.

strfyr51

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:53 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Thank you for replying. Just making sure the average baggage handler or agent knows there are vast amounts of opportunity out there in the PHX offices...

far from HDQ and Washington DC. I personally never realized there was such a great need for regional government affairs out of dusty little secondary hub PHX.

How many other hubs have this position I wonder? Sorry inform me. I am grateful for insight.

Didn't the blurb say he was a regional director? Well then? Who is defining WHERE the western region starts and ends? For all any of you know? The region Could start at PHX and encompass all of Asia.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos