Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rajincajun01

Re: AS/AAG posts 4Q and FY2019 earnings

Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:04 am

airportugal310 wrote:
Word quickly coming out of the AS Seattle campus that ~100 people are being let go from Corporate. Shame all around...

A significant number of regional managers and IT workers were let go over the last 48 hours or so.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:42 am

airportugal310 wrote:
Word quickly coming out of the AS Seattle campus that ~100 people are being let go from Corporate. Shame all around...

You never like seeing that happen; we lost some good people. It was a reorg that flattened out some of the reporting structure. About 60 new positions were created, though, and many of those whose positions were eliminated will be offered these roles.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

n7371f

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:04 am

What does Alaska's current, operating fleet of Boeing 737 NG's have to do with tired, blundering, dangerous? They don't fly the MAX, yet.

Alaska is the one who decides to continue to fly with an interior first designed in the late 1980's, not Boeing. Alaska is the one who offers a first class seat on its 737 NG fleet that offers 3-4 degrees of recline with no change in seat pan pitch. The 320 with new Recaro seats does. None of that is Boeing's fault.

What is so terrific the 321NEO that makes it so great? Compared to the also reconfigured 320? Interiors are exactly the same except the 2N1 has an extra row of first class. You like the smoother purr of the NEO engines?

Boeing deserves each, all and every criticism allowed. And their new CEO appears initially to be just more GE and all-about dividends first. But most of your criticism to the current AS operating Boeing fleet is misfired.

williaminsd wrote:
OA412 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
Keep in mind that after the acquisition of VX, the goal was to have a fleet decision made in around 18 months. We're nearly 4 years removed from the announcement that VX was being purchased, and there's still no decision, other than returning the A319s and A320s as the leases expire, although Brad stated on the earnings call that some leases could be extended if the MAX issues continue and impact the ten added frames expected to join the fleet this year. I think there are two things that have prolonged the planning process:

o Guests and crews are loving the A321NEO far more than anticipated
o The MAX issues are a question mark

I think the MAX 10 is probably out of the running due to the range limitations, but the A321NEO is quickly becoming the darling of the fleet from everything I'm hearing.

Interesting. Then it seems to me if the MAX 10 is out of the running, it makes more sense to either go entirely A321NEO or do a split MAX 9/A321NEO order to cover all bases.

Congratulations to the entire Alaska team for these sterling results. As an Alaska Gold, I specifically seek-out the A321. It is by far the best in Alaska's fleet. This pains me to say, as I have been a Boeing man for decades, but its product seems old, tired, blundering, obsolete and, as we know, dangerous. What senior management has done to this American icon over the last decade is unforgivable, particularly now with a booming economy and affordable energy costs. In this environment, AB is perfectly positioned to capture market share for a decade or more. My guess is a limited A321 order and more E175s (present Max orders remain) to give Boeing the 5-7 years to get their you know what together. The next Boeing product has to not only start with "clean sheet of paper," but has to be revolutionary in terms of speed and efficiency. Another 737 retread just won't cut it. Alaska's management is sharp and nimble. They consistently over perform despite the naysayers wishful thinking. I expect the discussions with Boeing to be blunt. "We have an attractive option. If you can't perform, we will take it." Boeing has no one to blame but themselves...

airportugal310

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:12 am

EA CO AS wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:

You never like seeing that happen; we lost some good people. It was a reorg that flattened out some of the reporting structure. About 60 new positions were created, though, and many of those whose positions were eliminated will be offered these roles.

For sure...happens to the best of companies, unfortunately
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

n7371f

Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:57 am

Excuse me?

airportugal310 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:

For sure...happens to the best of companies, unfortunately

williaminsd

Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:18 pm

n7371f wrote:
What does Alaska's current, operating fleet of Boeing 737 NG's have to do with tired, blundering, dangerous? They don't fly the MAX, yet.

Alaska is the one who decides to continue to fly with an interior first designed in the late 1980's, not Boeing. Alaska is the one who offers a first class seat on its 737 NG fleet that offers 3-4 degrees of recline with no change in seat pan pitch. The 320 with new Recaro seats does. None of that is Boeing's fault.

What is so terrific the 321NEO that makes it so great? Compared to the also reconfigured 320? Interiors are exactly the same except the 2N1 has an extra row of first class. You like the smoother purr of the NEO engines?

Boeing deserves each, all and every criticism allowed. And their new CEO appears initially to be just more GE and all-about dividends first. But most of your criticism to the current AS operating Boeing fleet is misfired.

williaminsd wrote:
OA412 wrote:

Interesting. Then it seems to me if the MAX 10 is out of the running, it makes more sense to either go entirely A321NEO or do a split MAX 9/A321NEO order to cover all bases.

Congratulations to the entire Alaska team for these sterling results. As an Alaska Gold, I specifically seek-out the A321. It is by far the best in Alaska's fleet. This pains me to say, as I have been a Boeing man for decades, but its product seems old, tired, blundering, obsolete and, as we know, dangerous. What senior management has done to this American icon over the last decade is unforgivable, particularly now with a booming economy and affordable energy costs. In this environment, AB is perfectly positioned to capture market share for a decade or more. My guess is a limited A321 order and more E175s (present Max orders remain) to give Boeing the 5-7 years to get their you know what together. The next Boeing product has to not only start with "clean sheet of paper," but has to be revolutionary in terms of speed and efficiency. Another 737 retread just won't cut it. Alaska's management is sharp and nimble. They consistently over perform despite the naysayers wishful thinking. I expect the discussions with Boeing to be blunt. "We have an attractive option. If you can't perform, we will take it." Boeing has no one to blame but themselves...

If you say so... I fly Alaska 2-3 times/month and that is my experience. Your mileage may vary.

HPRamper

Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:02 pm

DBCoop3r wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
I think the MAX 10 is probably out of the running due to the range limitations

The MAX10 can comfortably cover SEA to MIA/FLL... AS has absolutely no need for any more range than that. If they do a MAX8 would cover it.

Well, considering SEA-HNL is what, 200nm longer there's that

ASFlyer

Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:42 pm

HPRamper wrote:
DBCoop3r wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
I think the MAX 10 is probably out of the running due to the range limitations

The MAX10 can comfortably cover SEA to MIA/FLL... AS has absolutely no need for any more range than that. If they do a MAX8 would cover it.

SEA-HNL isn't longer than SEA-FLL. SEA-FLL is the longest flight out of SEA for AS

Prost

Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:13 pm

35 NM difference, FLL being 2361 and FLL being 2326. I wouldn’t have guessed that!

RWA380

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:21 am

ASFlyer wrote:
HPRamper wrote:
DBCoop3r wrote:

SEA-HNL isn't longer than SEA-FLL. SEA-FLL is the longest flight out of SEA for AS

MSN did an article on the shortest & longest flights by carrier in December (so it's current info mostly) I was surprised by a few on the AAG shortest flights, especially considering they are mainline. All the top three longest either originate or are destined in Anchorage.

Here they are for AAG: https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/points ... ar-BBYc9Zk
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

hpff

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:49 am

RWA380 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
HPRamper wrote:

MSN did an article on the shortest & longest flights by carrier in December (so it's current info mostly) I was surprised by a few on the AAG shortest flights, especially considering they are mainline. All the top three longest either originate or are destined in Anchorage.

Here they are for AAG: https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/points ... ar-BBYc9Zk

Great link, and a great example/reminder of geography as to why AS doesn't have many flights to Central America.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos