Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
cessna2
Topic Author
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:16 am

DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:10 pm

Originally posted by The Points Guy. Confirmed internally by a friend.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepointsg ... pdate/amp/
 
User avatar
kjeld0d
Posts: 505
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:21 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:52 pm

Chafing and rashes I get...its probably flameproof polyester that doesn't breathe. Someone will have to explain to me how uniforms can cause "vertigo and even impaired liver functions".
 
User avatar
NWAROOSTER
Posts: 1336
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:29 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:52 pm

Are Delta's flight attendants required to pay for their uniforms or are they supplied by Delta at no cost to the employee? :old:
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......
 
DTWorld
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:34 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:01 pm

kjeld0d wrote:
Someone will have to explain to me how uniforms can cause "vertigo and even impaired liver functions".


I'm not a medical expert by any means, but a friend of mine at work switched to the black suit and pants because he claims the formaldehyde in the uniforms triggered his sickle cell so bad that he was hospitalized twice in the past few months. Because of that, there were a few days he was unable to show up to work, got a few verbal warnings and nearly fired. Needless to say, he's been talking to HR since all of these changes.
 
Detroit313
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:03 pm

What a mess!
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:09 pm

Nothing was wrong with the old ones to begin with
 
questions
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:01 am

AA experienced a similar issue. What’s in uniforms that causes the problems that is not in the clothes purchased in retail chains that the average Joe wears?

Also interesting to note that when given the option to wear black trousers/skirts and white shirts/blouses, “the number of complaints about the new uniforms ‘soared into the thousands.’”

It sounds like while there may have been some real issues there was also a strong dislike for the new design and/or color palette.

No doubt Delta is working hard to keep this employee group happy while protecting the brand.
 
User avatar
fanoftristars
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2000 9:03 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:16 am

Sad to hear - I think the uniforms are incredibly professional and stylish. Wouldn't it be easier to switch manufacturers if there is truly something wrong? Or are people just allergic to the purple design? I'm guessing if you took a group of 40,000 people in a football stadium there'd be at least a few hundred that would have some type of rash or health issue. I think the uniforms are a convenient scapegoat. I mean one flight attendant was claiming it was making her breast milk purple... I have to wonder...
"FLY DELTA JETS"
 
jfern022
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:35 am

I overheard a group of FA’s in ATL talking amongst each other saying they were getting doctors note even though they weren’t sick, to change to the alternate uniforms so they can “unite for AFA”
 
Prost
Posts: 2575
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:07 am

kjeld0d wrote:
Chafing and rashes I get...its probably flameproof polyester that doesn't breathe. Someone will have to explain to me how uniforms can cause "vertigo and even impaired liver functions".

The chemicals the uniforms were sprayed with when placed into the shipping containers, the chemicals imbedded in the fabric for fire retardant and other properties. This is not some hysterical FAs complaining.
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 2519
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:11 am

fanoftristars wrote:
Sad to hear - I think the uniforms are incredibly professional and stylish. Wouldn't it be easier to switch manufacturers if there is truly something wrong? Or are people just allergic to the purple design? I'm guessing if you took a group of 40,000 people in a football stadium there'd be at least a few hundred that would have some type of rash or health issue. I think the uniforms are a convenient scapegoat. I mean one flight attendant was claiming it was making her breast milk purple... I have to wonder...


I don't think they made sense at all. Purple has never been part of Delta's colors. The previous uniform was a million times better.
 
N505fx
Posts: 337
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:02 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:47 am

fanoftristars wrote:
Sad to hear - I think the uniforms are incredibly professional and stylish. Wouldn't it be easier to switch manufacturers if there is truly something wrong? Or are people just allergic to the purple design? I'm guessing if you took a group of 40,000 people in a football stadium there'd be at least a few hundred that would have some type of rash or health issue. I think the uniforms are a convenient scapegoat. I mean one flight attendant was claiming it was making her breast milk purple... I have to wonder...


Not saying there is a right or wrong, but my opinion is that the Posner uniform looked carnival or circus-like, I don't think they were befitting a professional airline, they were too comical IMHO...looking forward to seeing the new ones.
 
Seat1F
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:42 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:59 am

crjflyboy wrote:
Nothing was wrong with the old ones to begin with

I agree. Nothing was wrong with the prior uniforms. They certainly looked much better than the current purple uniforms.
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:14 am

Seat1F wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
Nothing was wrong with the old ones to begin with

I agree. Nothing was wrong with the prior uniforms. They certainly looked much better than the current purple uniforms.


Should go back to what they had before, or hire Old Navy that did VA America and go from there ... whomever made the decision at DELTA to switch to the purple costumes will be out of their job
 
smi0006
Posts: 2566
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:27 am

This only happens in the US- AS, AA, now DL. Never hear of this else where. Does the US have lower standards for clothing? Although watching US TV and the constant stream of adverts for medication wouldn’t surprise me if Somethings become psychosomatic - not suggesting the symptoms are real, just the cause may not be the uniforms... especially if discussing constantly with colleagues.
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 2519
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:29 am

smi0006 wrote:
This only happens in the US- AS, AA, now DL. Never hear of this else where. Does the US have lower standards for clothing? Although watching US TV and the constant stream of adverts for medication wouldn’t surprise me if Somethings become psychosomatic - not suggesting the symptoms are real, just the cause may not be the uniforms... especially if discussing constantly with colleagues.


I can't speak to those illnesses but at the very at least I would be severely depressed if I had to wear that hideous purple uniform. It's dehumanizing. It's an airline. Not one of those weird fashion shows with stuff that no one would ever wear in real life.
 
ALTF4
Posts: 1228
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:01 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:49 am

crjflyboy wrote:
whomever made the decision at DELTA to switch to the purple costumes will be out of their job


Hmm, yeah? A little extreme, are we?
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:57 am

ALTF4 wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
whomever made the decision at DELTA to switch to the purple costumes will be out of their job


Hmm, yeah? A little extreme, are we?


NO ... uniform change was a $ 40,000,000 idea system wide ...

you ever make a 40,000,000 dollar mistake and keep your position ?
 
ALTF4
Posts: 1228
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:01 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:03 am

crjflyboy wrote:
ALTF4 wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
whomever made the decision at DELTA to switch to the purple costumes will be out of their job


Hmm, yeah? A little extreme, are we?


NO ... uniform change was a $ 40,000,000 idea system wide ...

you ever make a 40,000,000 dollar mistake and keep your position ?


Not me personally, but I personally know multiple people who have f'd up over $100 million and are still viewed as strong performers. Anyway, let me know when they're fired since you're in the know.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.
 
User avatar
dennypayne
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:38 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:04 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
It's dehumanizing. It's an airline. Not one of those weird fashion shows with stuff that no one would ever wear in real life.


Seriously? There's nothing avant-garde about the style of the uniforms, they're just purple. The hyperbole on this site from some of y'all is ridiculous.

I happen to think they let DL crew stand out from the pack in an interesting way, and when I have complimented crewmembers on them, they usually seem to agree. It's perfectly reasonable to hold the opinion that the old color was better, perfectly reasonable to expect that uniforms not cause health issues, but dehumanizing?? Get a grip.


Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 ARJ AT6/7 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 741/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788/789
CR1/2/7/9 D8S D93/4/5 DHC2/3/7/8 D28/38 EMB/EM2/ER3/D/4/E70/75/90
F50/100 J31 L10 L4T M11/80/87/90 SF3 SU9 TU3/TU5 YK2
 
ALTF4
Posts: 1228
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:01 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:05 am

dennypayne wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
It's dehumanizing. It's an airline. Not one of those weird fashion shows with stuff that no one would ever wear in real life.


Seriously? There's nothing avant-garde about the style of the uniforms, they're just purple. The hyperbole on this site from some of y'all is ridiculous.

I happen to think they let DL crew stand out from the pack in an interesting way, and when I have complimented crewmembers on them, they usually seem to agree. It's perfectly reasonable to hold the opinion that the old color was better, perfectly reasonable to expect that uniforms not cause health issues, but dehumanizing?? Get a grip.


Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk


Agreed. Some people here must have never seen an Emirates cabin crew member, if Delta is the extreme.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.
 
questions
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:07 am

crjflyboy wrote:
Seat1F wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
Nothing was wrong with the old ones to begin with

I agree. Nothing was wrong with the prior uniforms. They certainly looked much better than the current purple uniforms.


Should go back to what they had before, or hire Old Navy that did VA America and go from there ... whomever made the decision at DELTA to switch to the purple costumes will be out of their job


Employees were on design teams, there were focus groups, they were field tested and employee feedback was obtained — all with the intent of employee involvement and acceptance.

Three possibilities of what’s going on:
1) The design methodology was flawed and employee feedback data was incomplete/misinterpreted and/or the calculation for employee acceptance was over estimated
2) Something is wrong with the manufacturing of the uniforms
3) There is a disgruntled group of employees who is causing a stink and another group of employees, who didn’t really like the uniforms but are not necessarily disgruntled, jumped on the alternative uniform wagon, thereby making the problem bigger than what it is — the disgruntled group’s stink

My bet is #1 and #3.
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:16 am

ALTF4 wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
ALTF4 wrote:

Hmm, yeah? A little extreme, are we?


NO ... uniform change was a $ 40,000,000 idea system wide ...

you ever make a 40,000,000 dollar mistake and keep your position ?


Not me personally, but I personally know multiple people who have f'd up over $100 million and are still viewed as strong performers. Anyway, let me know when they're fired since you're in the know.


LOL ... cost your entity 100,000,000 dollars and viewed as strong performers ... LOL
 
questions
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:17 am

ALTF4 wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
ALTF4 wrote:

Hmm, yeah? A little extreme, are we?


NO ... uniform change was a $ 40,000,000 idea system wide ...

you ever make a 40,000,000 dollar mistake and keep your position ?


Not me personally, but I personally know multiple people who have f'd up over $100 million and are still viewed as strong performers. Anyway, let me know when they're fired since you're in the know.


Ahh, yes. Corporate politics are amazing.

(Not suggesting every F up should lead to getting fired.)
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 2519
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:26 am

questions wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
Seat1F wrote:
I agree. Nothing was wrong with the prior uniforms. They certainly looked much better than the current purple uniforms.


Should go back to what they had before, or hire Old Navy that did VA America and go from there ... whomever made the decision at DELTA to switch to the purple costumes will be out of their job


Employees were on design teams, there were focus groups, they were field tested and employee feedback was obtained — all with the intent of employee involvement and acceptance.

Three possibilities of what’s going on:
1) The design methodology was flawed and employee feedback data was incomplete/misinterpreted and/or the calculation for employee acceptance was over estimated
2) Something is wrong with the manufacturing of the uniforms
3) There is a disgruntled group of employees who is causing a stink and another group of employees, who didn’t really like the uniforms but are not necessarily disgruntled, jumped on the alternative uniform wagon, thereby making the problem bigger than what it is — the disgruntled group’s stink

My bet is #1 and #3.


I know several DL employees ranging from very senior to modest seniority with some in favor of a union and some against but all absolutely hated the uniform dssign from conception. Their feedback certainly wasn't taken into consideration. So I don't think this is part of any pro or anti union strategy. Many just think it sucks. They said it was a very vocal and small group of junior flight attendants who loved the uniform and pushed the design through. And isn't the designer now bankrupt?
Last edited by TTailedTiger on Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:26 am

Sounds like some union shenanigans.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:31 am

intotheair wrote:
Sounds like some union shenanigans.


DL FA's are not in union
 
Iluvtofly
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:31 am

Where are the uniforms manufactured ?
Flown - B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 A300 310 319 320 321 330 340 Concorde BAC111 TU154 VC10 F27 F28 F100 DC3 DC8 DC9 DC10 L1011 L188 DHC6 DHC7 DHC8 E135 E145 HS748 MD11 ST27 CV580 S340 ATR42 J31
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:38 am

crjflyboy wrote:
intotheair wrote:
Sounds like some union shenanigans.


DL FA's are not in union


Exactly.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
flyer0889
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:30 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:39 am

questions wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
Seat1F wrote:
I agree. Nothing was wrong with the prior uniforms. They certainly looked much better than the current purple uniforms.


Should go back to what they had before, or hire Old Navy that did VA America and go from there ... whomever made the decision at DELTA to switch to the purple costumes will be out of their job


Employees were on design teams, there were focus groups, they were field tested and employee feedback was obtained — all with the intent of employee involvement and acceptance.

Three possibilities of what’s going on:
1) The design methodology was flawed and employee feedback data was incomplete/misinterpreted and/or the calculation for employee acceptance was over estimated
2) Something is wrong with the manufacturing of the uniforms
3) There is a disgruntled group of employees who is causing a stink and another group of employees, who didn’t really like the uniforms but are not necessarily disgruntled, jumped on the alternative uniform wagon, thereby making the problem bigger than what it is — the disgruntled group’s stink

My bet is #1 and #3.


Employee feedback was negative on the designs but the company still pushed forward. They made minor changes with our feedback but never fully reversed course when they realized we overwhelmingly disliked them.
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:40 am

Iluvtofly wrote:
Where are the uniforms manufactured ?


Lands End has the tag ... where at they were made ?

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/delta- ... SOYVZYDAI/
 
questions
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:25 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
questions wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:

Should go back to what they had before, or hire Old Navy that did VA America and go from there ... whomever made the decision at DELTA to switch to the purple costumes will be out of their job


Employees were on design teams, there were focus groups, they were field tested and employee feedback was obtained — all with the intent of employee involvement and acceptance.

Three possibilities of what’s going on:
1) The design methodology was flawed and employee feedback data was incomplete/misinterpreted and/or the calculation for employee acceptance was over estimated
2) Something is wrong with the manufacturing of the uniforms
3) There is a disgruntled group of employees who is causing a stink and another group of employees, who didn’t really like the uniforms but are not necessarily disgruntled, jumped on the alternative uniform wagon, thereby making the problem bigger than what it is — the disgruntled group’s stink

My bet is #1 and #3.


I know several DL employees ranging from very senior to modest seniority with some in favor of a union and some against but all absolutely hated the uniform dssign from conception. Their feedback certainly wasn't taken into consideration. So I don't think this is part of any pro or anti union strategy. Many just think it sucks. They said it was a very vocal and small group of junior flight attendants who loved the uniform and pushed the design through. And isn't the designer now bankrupt?


Something else is not being said by Delta. If it was a problem in the manufacturing process, they would be looking to correct that but still keep the same designs. Obviously Delta knows the acceptance rate is not very high, e.g., from the numbers opting for the alternative, and is therefore looking into a new design. Delta is probably trying to determine if they can make some design tweaks to the current uniform vs launching a team to create completely new designs.

I’m curious. What did they not like? The design (look), the color palette, the fit?
 
dstblj52
Posts: 455
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:39 am

questions wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
questions wrote:

Employees were on design teams, there were focus groups, they were field tested and employee feedback was obtained — all with the intent of employee involvement and acceptance.

Three possibilities of what’s going on:
1) The design methodology was flawed and employee feedback data was incomplete/misinterpreted and/or the calculation for employee acceptance was over estimated
2) Something is wrong with the manufacturing of the uniforms
3) There is a disgruntled group of employees who is causing a stink and another group of employees, who didn’t really like the uniforms but are not necessarily disgruntled, jumped on the alternative uniform wagon, thereby making the problem bigger than what it is — the disgruntled group’s stink

My bet is #1 and #3.


I know several DL employees ranging from very senior to modest seniority with some in favor of a union and some against but all absolutely hated the uniform dssign from conception. Their feedback certainly wasn't taken into consideration. So I don't think this is part of any pro or anti union strategy. Many just think it sucks. They said it was a very vocal and small group of junior flight attendants who loved the uniform and pushed the design through. And isn't the designer now bankrupt?


Something else is not being said by Delta. If it was a problem in the manufacturing process, they would be looking to correct that but still keep the same designs. Obviously Delta knows the acceptance rate is not very high, e.g., from the numbers opting for the alternative, and is therefore looking into a new design. Delta is probably trying to determine if they can make some design tweaks to the current uniform vs launching a team to create completely new designs.

I’m curious. What did they not like? The design (look), the color palette, the fit?

The company delta contracted with filled for chapter 7 bankruptcy basically immediately after they finished the contract, its possible they knew something was screwed up and did not want to be liable when it was discovered and at the very least does not present the picture of a well managed company after a large contract like that
 
GatorClark
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:34 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:03 am

NWAROOSTER wrote:
Are Delta's flight attendants required to pay for their uniforms or are they supplied by Delta at no cost to the employee? :old:


If its the same process as here on the ramp, they are provided with an initial "kit" that includes a predefined number of pieces in a given category that allows employees some flexibility in what they'd prefer to wear. (e.g. 5 shirts, can be any of the available shirt options such as short sleeve polo or ANSI long sleeve polo, 5 pairs of pants that you can choose shorts, pants or a mix of both) Then they are given a yearly allotment to replace worn out pieces and/or add to their work wardrobe. Anything outside of that kit or the yearly allotment is paid for out of pocket.
 
flyer0889
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:30 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:00 am

GatorClark wrote:
NWAROOSTER wrote:
Are Delta's flight attendants required to pay for their uniforms or are they supplied by Delta at no cost to the employee? :old:


If its the same process as here on the ramp, they are provided with an initial "kit" that includes a predefined number of pieces in a given category that allows employees some flexibility in what they'd prefer to wear. (e.g. 5 shirts, can be any of the available shirt options such as short sleeve polo or ANSI long sleeve polo, 5 pairs of pants that you can choose shorts, pants or a mix of both) Then they are given a yearly allotment to replace worn out pieces and/or add to their work wardrobe. Anything outside of that kit or the yearly allotment is paid for out of pocket.


Can confirm that it’s the same process above wing!
 
CHRISBA35X
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:40 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:08 am

crjflyboy wrote:
Nothing was wrong with the old ones to begin with


Correct - the mid 00s one was very elegant, looked great. Really turned heads but in a classy way. I don't get why they needed to change it. Current one looks like VS on the guys.
 
BTV290
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:33 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:11 am

I have lots of thoughts on this. My feeling is there was a small (statistically, it's going to happen) core group of individuals with legitimate reactions--probably allergies to new material types. From there, once the first lawsuits rolled in and Delta opened the flood gates of the black-and-white option, the train had left the station and it was impossible to get it back. I know people who have switched to the black-and-white due to "bladder infections" and "brain fog" and "just to be safe". My concern is that some people are actually neglecting some serious health issues because it's easy to scapegoat the uniforms. I think the bulk of it is psychosomatic or difficult for the sake of being difficult. My millennial issue with them is the massive style and colour difference between the two genders. If everyone were purple or everyone were gray, I'd be fine with them.

Now--on the plus side, which no one has mentioned... This will give Delta the opportunity to debut a new uniform AFTER all of their competition has debuted theirs. WN went first of the major US airlines, followed by DL. I wasn't surprised but was disappointed by AS, AA and UA quickly following suit and stealing Delta's thunder... This is Delta's rare opportunity to steal that thunder back... Hopefully they get it right the second time.
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 2519
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:37 am

Just to refresh everyone's memory, this was the previous uniform. Very professional and Incorporated Delta's historic colors quite well. It didn't conjure up images of Barney or Grimace like the current poor excuse for a uniform.

Image

Image

Image
 
a320fan
Posts: 838
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:27 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Just to refresh everyone's memory, this was the previous uniform. Very professional and Incorporated Delta's historic colors quite well. It didn't conjure up images of Barney or Grimace like the current poor excuse for a uniform.

Image

Image

Image

Personally I like the new purple one a lot better than what’s shown here. But that’s the thing with aesthetics, everyone’s going to have their own tastes and dislikes. It’s up to the management in the company to decide what image they want to present to the world. I hate my companies uniform and feel awful wearing it, it’s not the style i present in my personal life at all. But I wear it because that’s what my job entails.

If it’s uniforms legitimately causing Health issues then of course management need to investigate and come up with appropriate solutions.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400
 
User avatar
SEAxSANxBOS
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:10 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:46 am

smi0006 wrote:
This only happens in the US- AS, AA, now DL. Never hear of this else where. Does the US have lower standards for clothing? Although watching US TV and the constant stream of adverts for medication wouldn’t surprise me if Somethings become psychosomatic - not suggesting the symptoms are real, just the cause may not be the uniforms... especially if discussing constantly with colleagues.


It just may not make the news, but could be happening else where none the less. I have relatives in the police, fire, and medical industries and there have been similar reports.

Going back to "This only happens in the US". There are many varying factors and life style choices as well as awareness in play here. The effects of chemicals may seem benign, but what about the varying amount of other chemicals, drugs, processed foods that then interact and come into contact with.
Does not reflect the views of Delta Air Lines

Favorite Airports: SEA, SAN, BOS, MSP, IND, CVG
 
LawAndOrder
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:26 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
questions wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:

Should go back to what they had before, or hire Old Navy that did VA America and go from there ... whomever made the decision at DELTA to switch to the purple costumes will be out of their job


Employees were on design teams, there were focus groups, they were field tested and employee feedback was obtained — all with the intent of employee involvement and acceptance.

Three possibilities of what’s going on:
1) The design methodology was flawed and employee feedback data was incomplete/misinterpreted and/or the calculation for employee acceptance was over estimated
2) Something is wrong with the manufacturing of the uniforms
3) There is a disgruntled group of employees who is causing a stink and another group of employees, who didn’t really like the uniforms but are not necessarily disgruntled, jumped on the alternative uniform wagon, thereby making the problem bigger than what it is — the disgruntled group’s stink

My bet is #1 and #3.


I know several DL employees ranging from very senior to modest seniority with some in favor of a union and some against but all absolutely hated the uniform dssign from conception. Their feedback certainly wasn't taken into consideration. So I don't think this is part of any pro or anti union strategy. Many just think it sucks. They said it was a very vocal and small group of junior flight attendants who loved the uniform and pushed the design through. And isn't the designer now bankrupt?


I know several employees that love it. I’m pretty sure the amount of people that like it outweigh the amount that don’t. Like anything in America the negative gets the most attention. I personally like the purple as their employees stood out. At the most I would change the colors.

For instance, Alitalia hated their uniform because of the color now they have something so boring and uninspiring that I’ve seen better uniforms at low end restaurants. The designer did Turkish uniforms in a different color pallet but same silhouettes and it was a instant hit. At the most I would change the color, but the fit and function are ten times better than the previous uniform.
 
LawAndOrder
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:32 pm

flyer0889 wrote:
questions wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:

Should go back to what they had before, or hire Old Navy that did VA America and go from there ... whomever made the decision at DELTA to switch to the purple costumes will be out of their job


Employees were on design teams, there were focus groups, they were field tested and employee feedback was obtained — all with the intent of employee involvement and acceptance.

Three possibilities of what’s going on:
1) The design methodology was flawed and employee feedback data was incomplete/misinterpreted and/or the calculation for employee acceptance was over estimated
2) Something is wrong with the manufacturing of the uniforms
3) There is a disgruntled group of employees who is causing a stink and another group of employees, who didn’t really like the uniforms but are not necessarily disgruntled, jumped on the alternative uniform wagon, thereby making the problem bigger than what it is — the disgruntled group’s stink

My bet is #1 and #3.


Employee feedback was negative on the designs but the company still pushed forward. They made minor changes with our feedback but never fully reversed course when they realized we overwhelmingly disliked them.


Not all feedback was negative maybe you and ur friends didn’t like them. All of my friends from 2-40 years liked them. They are also stylish and understand the point of a uniform and understand that a brand must innovate.

The Richard Tyler uniform in the end was a frumpy ill fitting, basic uniform that even Southwest Airlines new uniform and American has surpassed. The guys had a zoot suit for Gods sake! A zoot suit combined with a turtle neck. The best part of the women’s line was the skirt and blazer with the red lining showing if it was fitted properly but 9/10 it wasn’t.
 
LawAndOrder
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:39 pm

intotheair wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
intotheair wrote:
Sounds like some union shenanigans.


DL FA's are not in union


Exactly.


I’m pretty sure it was meant that it was a plow by the potential union to give people a reason to organize. I wouldn’t disagree.
 
LawAndOrder
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:54 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Just to refresh everyone's memory, this was the previous uniform. Very professional and Incorporated Delta's historic colors quite well. It didn't conjure up images of Barney or Grimace like the current poor excuse for a uniform.

Image

Image

Image


The top row of uniform looks good. That was at launch, that uniform never saw the light of day. The employees throw a fit about the dress and the suit and the fit was quickly changed. The materials changed with it. The other pictures the dresses and suits were ill fighting, uncomfortable cheap material. I speak from previous experience in them. Perhaps if they followed what Zac designed as his final internal design was grey with purple, red or maroon accents their company wouldn’t be in this place.

The problem is Americans feel they have to have the final voice in everything (executive leaders masquerading as millennial and risk takers). Bankruptcy or not he was a designer who designed very high end dresses and ready to wear clothes. They should have let Zac’s original uniform design and color story come to light(was not to far from what they had before). The style, cuts and materials light years ahead of the Richard Tyler uniform fly. In my opinion they should keep the design make slight changes and release it in different colors - with new pieces added.

Then again one thing some females I talked to hated was that the neckline is so high. Oh how I have stories about blouses before being left unbutton down to their breast. Women of a certain age and size really thought that was flattering. There is a reason the most stylish uniforms (Turkish, Virgin, Qantas, Korean, Hainan, Ethiad) don’t have simple button up shirts and low v neck colors. They attempted to actually step outside the box. I imagine the new uniforms are going to be so safe and inside of the box that their appearance scores will tank (again).
 
Lootess
Posts: 454
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:30 pm

Lands End and Twinhill haven't had a good track record when it comes commercial aviation uniforms. See previous AS and AA problems.

The Richard Tyler collection lasted over a decade, and you have to remember even FAs wanted a new uniform with their input and they got that with the current one, if anything I still believe Lands' End is the real issue here.

No doubt this scrap program is to ensure AFA stays off the property permanently. Gives them no ground to say management doesn't listen to their group, which they always have.
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 1498
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:46 pm

I like the appearance of both the olde and the new uniforms, but is Land End making these uniforms with asbestos? What are they making these uniforms out of?
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90
 
panamair
Posts: 4327
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:24 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:30 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Just to refresh everyone's memory, this was the previous uniform. Very professional and Incorporated Delta's historic colors quite well. It didn't conjure up images of Barney or Grimace like the current poor excuse for a uniform.


The Richard Tyler ones had a good run but they are quite outdated by today's standards. And do we really need another navy uniform? B-O-R-I-N-G. Even the red has now been co-opted by AA where the current uniform sees women in red shoes and carrying red handbags. And as someone else already mentioned, the red dress started to look like a bathrobe at the end, frumpy and ill-fitting. The new Posen uniforms on the other hand are really well-tailored and fit much better than the previous uniforms. The flight attendant dress in particular looks very elegant and classy; all the new dresses actually fit most body shapes much better than the previous dresses. In fact, many people who were not in favour of the purple all agreed that the fit of the new was much better.


tlecam wrote:
but is Land End making these uniforms with asbestos? What are they making these uniforms out of?


The issue is most probably due to the chemicals used in the manufacturing to make the uniforms stain and wrinkle-resistant etc.
 
ALTF4
Posts: 1228
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:01 pm

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:26 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
ALTF4 wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:

NO ... uniform change was a $ 40,000,000 idea system wide ...

you ever make a 40,000,000 dollar mistake and keep your position ?


Not me personally, but I personally know multiple people who have f'd up over $100 million and are still viewed as strong performers. Anyway, let me know when they're fired since you're in the know.


LOL ... cost your entity 100,000,000 dollars and viewed as strong performers ... LOL


Yep. Pretty mind-blowing, isn't it? But hey, that's how corporate crap works. Hence why I'm laughing that you know *for certain* somebody's losing their job. LOL
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.
 
BN747DFWHNL
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 6:32 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:53 pm

Stink! documentary (Netflix) may relate to this topic: father explores the prevalence of unknown chemicals in products after his kid's pajamas have a strange odor (clothing company cites proprietary information re: chemicals used in its manufacturing and dye processes). Have to wonder if a chemical in these uniforms is reacting allergically with affected FAs?
 
questions
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: DL launching new Uniforms amidst health concerns

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:46 pm

LawAndOrder wrote:
Perhaps if they followed what Zac designed as his final internal design was grey with purple, red or maroon accents their company wouldn’t be in this place.

They should have let Zac’s original uniform design and color story come to light(was not to far from what they had before).


Can you clarify? Zac Posen’s original recommendation was shot down? By whom? Why? Are there photos? He went back to the drawing board and designed what is the current uniforms?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos