Zkpilot

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:09 pm

NZ6 wrote:
x1234 wrote:
I believe Air New Zealand's AKL-EWR will be a GAME changer for Australia as it enables fast single terminal transfers in AKL to EWR like the current EZE, ORD, IAH, LAX, SFO & YVR services currently. It will be daily soon enough. From one trip report I've read ANZ's AKL-ORD flight is PACKED.

You're absolutely right, while QF won't be far behind with their NYC flight, the domestic to international transfer at SYD makes AKL a much more appealing proposition....

IAH took off like a rocket when it was launched, reaching it's year 5 target within the first 18 months (it may have even been around a year). It's very early for EWR but it's taken off quicker than IAH.

If this continue, I'd remove ICN and place additional flights into EWR asap. ICN is doing poorly and well below the conservative predictions.... There's definitely sound logic from diversifying your network and there's a desire to make ICN work long term, but it'll have 3 years to start showing potential.

TPE on the other hand is also doing really well.

Flights have been fairly full that I’ve seen... just a bit light at the pointy end (yes I know LF doesn’t necessarily indicate revenue). It just needs time.
64 types. 44 countries. 24 airlines.

DavidByrne

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:18 pm

zkncj wrote:
They are contractors from an crewing company, so likely NZ isn’t paying the contract company so the crew likely aren’t getting paid.

We don't know the terms and conditions of NZ's contract with the contracting company, nor the terms and conditions of their agreement with the cabin crew, so I'd suggest that this is speculation.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

NZ6

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:56 am

Zkpilot wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
x1234 wrote:
I believe Air New Zealand's AKL-EWR will be a GAME changer for Australia as it enables fast single terminal transfers in AKL to EWR like the current EZE, ORD, IAH, LAX, SFO & YVR services currently. It will be daily soon enough. From one trip report I've read ANZ's AKL-ORD flight is PACKED.

You're absolutely right, while QF won't be far behind with their NYC flight, the domestic to international transfer at SYD makes AKL a much more appealing proposition....

IAH took off like a rocket when it was launched, reaching it's year 5 target within the first 18 months (it may have even been around a year). It's very early for EWR but it's taken off quicker than IAH.

If this continue, I'd remove ICN and place additional flights into EWR asap. ICN is doing poorly and well below the conservative predictions.... There's definitely sound logic from diversifying your network and there's a desire to make ICN work long term, but it'll have 3 years to start showing potential.

Flights have been fairly full that I’ve seen... just a bit light at the pointy end (yes I know LF doesn’t necessarily indicate revenue). It just needs time.

Well exactly, there's very little premium demand. More to some leisure markets in fact, and filling the back of the plane hasn't been easy, you can still get lead in booking classes a few weeks out and there's been a heap of famil/industry tickets and promotional seats given away.

Absolutely they'll give it time. 3 years the expectation but it's not started well and against a mild forecast is already behind.

NZ6

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:12 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
x1234 wrote:

I don't think reading a trip report on 1 ORD flight that its doing really well is an appropriate gauge however I'm quite sure it is doing well based on frequency increase and what I read here, again A.NET isn't a good gauge but some here are well respected like yourself.

Interesting re ICN, personally I was surprised when they announced it given Koreans often stick to their home carriers, there is a decent amount of Kiwis go to Korea though, there is OZ feed at ICN. Interesting NZ increased frequency, I guess peak season but its a brand new route and also doesn't have the best slots at ICN, arrives to late for connections.

TPE is getting a 772 I guess they have to go somewhere, more premium seats but also higher fuel burn.

The USA markets are the 'cash cow' of the international network. IAH was in my mind the step of faith and it paid off. ORD slightly slower but has also proven successful and I expect EWR to outdo them all.

You just need to be careful, if the bottom drops out of the US market you can be left exposed with billions of dollars in assets and no where to send them. This is why they've been nurturing the heck out of Japan, so keen to grow China and have formed alliances with CX and SQ. TPE has paid off on it's own and ICN, well it's about trying to expand that network.

The Korean public are very KE loyal. I've said before, I know one airline who puts almost no effort into the AKL-???-ICN market as they've not been able to break it. At 3 years I give it 50% of being there, in 5 years 30% unless NZ can break the back of KE which there are no signs of now. I had heard a few whispers of a NZ/KE relationship which would change things dramatically.

NZ6

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:39 am

More runway closures at AKL.

SelandiaBaru

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:22 am

NZ6 wrote:

Again just demonstrating the necessity for a second runway. This is going to keep happening and while on the face of it based on the sheer number of movements it may not seem necessary when the operational resilience and efficiency are taken into account it's a no-brainer.

With AKL as a single runway airport OTP for NZ is always going to be hard to truly refine.

ZK-NBT

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:37 am

NZ6 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

I don't think reading a trip report on 1 ORD flight that its doing really well is an appropriate gauge however I'm quite sure it is doing well based on frequency increase and what I read here, again A.NET isn't a good gauge but some here are well respected like yourself.

Interesting re ICN, personally I was surprised when they announced it given Koreans often stick to their home carriers, there is a decent amount of Kiwis go to Korea though, there is OZ feed at ICN. Interesting NZ increased frequency, I guess peak season but its a brand new route and also doesn't have the best slots at ICN, arrives to late for connections.

TPE is getting a 772 I guess they have to go somewhere, more premium seats but also higher fuel burn.

The USA markets are the 'cash cow' of the international network. IAH was in my mind the step of faith and it paid off. ORD slightly slower but has also proven successful and I expect EWR to outdo them all.

You just need to be careful, if the bottom drops out of the US market you can be left exposed with billions of dollars in assets and no where to send them. This is why they've been nurturing the heck out of Japan, so keen to grow China and have formed alliances with CX and SQ. TPE has paid off on it's own and ICN, well it's about trying to expand that network.

The Korean public are very KE loyal. I've said before, I know one airline who puts almost no effort into the AKL-???-ICN market as they've not been able to break it. At 3 years I give it 50% of being there, in 5 years 30% unless NZ can break the back of KE which there are no signs of now. I had heard a few whispers of a NZ/KE relationship which would change things dramatically.

NZ’s growth in recent years has been nothing short of remarkable, some possible because of JV’s but DPS/SIN/IAH/EZE/ORD/KIX/ICN/TPE/EWR, the widebody fleet has gone from 15 777s, 5 763s to 15 or 16 777s and 14 789s, probably a good time it seems to make sure that capacity is absorbed. Still grow by moving capacity around and partnerships.

Interesting re KE, I thought they would use OZ. But again I was surprised with ICN for NZ given KE dominate. I’m not even sure how well KE do, sure they run a daily 748 in summer with a weekly 77W charter plus CHC this year 2 weekly for a few months but as an airline you read things about them and wonder if they make money. Winter just 4-5 weekly 789.

ZK-NBT

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:46 am

SelandiaBaru wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

Again just demonstrating the necessity for a second runway. This is going to keep happening and while on the face of it based on the sheer number of movements it may not seem necessary when the operational resilience and efficiency are taken into account it's a no-brainer.

With AKL as a single runway airport OTP for NZ is always going to be hard to truly refine.

AKL has got very busy in the last few years but is it all runway issues or is it more the terminals NZ operate out of? It’s busy with movements but not that busy.

Sure a second runway is great and eventually they will need it and as you say it will help improve operations but so would more efficient terminal spaces to operate out of?

zkncj

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:46 am

NZ6 wrote:

Looks like both an NZ/VA flights from MEL are on there way to WLG, which is going to have knock on effects on the evening Tasman bank.

Time of an second airport in AKL or government take over of AIAL.

ZK-NBT

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:55 am

zkncj wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

Looks like both an NZ/VA flights from MEL are on there way to WLG, which is going to have knock on effects on the evening Tasman bank.

Time of an second airport in AKL or government take over of AIAL.

Bring back RWY 23R 05L

SelandiaBaru

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:00 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
SelandiaBaru wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

AKL has got very busy in the last few years but is it all runway issues or is it more the terminals NZ operate out of? It’s busy with movements but not that busy.

Sure a second runway is great and eventually they will need it and as you say it will help improve operations but so would more efficient terminal spaces to operate out of?

As someone who operates into and out of AKL it's very much a case of all of the above, too little too late.

VirginFlyer

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:47 am

ZK-NBT wrote:

Both are at issue. During busy times it is quite normal to hear on Auckland Approach aircraft being given speed control and vectors for sequencing. Holds on the way in are not uncommon either. Even before considering possible runway closures, this traffic congestion makes a second runway worthwhile.

The terminal infrastructure, in particular the domestic terminal, is definitely creaking under the load. It is interesting to see a lot of work going on at the moment by the old Car Park S between the control tower and the police station. If I'm not mistaken this is the preliminary works for the for the new domestic jet terminal to sit adjacent to the international terminal. I keep hearing time frames of 2023 for this terminal to come on line, so hopefully that is correct.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

zkncj

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:44 am

With the current state of CX, and other Chinese airlines all taking an major hit recently.

There is obviously going to be some surplus aircraft out there, with the 787 issues not going away any time soon.

Could it be possible to see NZ pickup some second hand 77Ws? They currently have that one from EVA which was due to be returned in April this year. Even maybe that lease could get extended?

ZK-NBT

Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:48 am

zkncj wrote:
With the current state of CX, and other Chinese airlines all taking an major hit recently.

There is obviously going to be some surplus aircraft out there, with the 787 issues not going away any time soon.

Could it be possible to see NZ pickup some second hand 77Ws? They currently have that one from EVA which was due to be returned in April this year. Even maybe that lease could get extended?

My question is where would NZ fly them? China/HKG while they will still be served may reduce frequency?

NZ are dropping LHR freeing up 1 77W which will go to more IAH flying mainly. I’d imagine with no more LHR NZ won’t have a need for the BR frame? Seems unlikely they would keep it to cover the 787 issues any longer?

The 78J is 2.5 years away, personally if there is anymore of a downturn before they arrive some 772s could end up stored temporarily or they are kept more as cover for the 787s if they aren’t all needed anymore.

Basically I can’t see anymore aircraft been added given they have managed to free up an aircraft from HKG aswell by retiming. Let things settle down a bit after so much growth in recent years and now a slightly softer market. And get more flying out of the current fleet.

Zkpilot

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:22 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
SelandiaBaru wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

There aren’t many other 24/7 airports in the world with similar numbers of movements To AKL that don’t have a 2nd (if not a 3rd typically crosswind) runway. The handful that do typically have curfews which allow around 6 hours of uninterrupted maintenance each night. AKL absolutely needs a 2nd runway for the above reason, but also that there isn’t a full sized runway within 30 minutes flying/6 hours driving. Would be a different story if Auckland had a second airport.
Having landed at 23 different airports in the last year (both domestic and international) I can honestly say that AKL is the roughest runway out of any of them. Many 3rd world countries have smoother runways than AKL!

Zkpilot

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:27 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
zkncj wrote:

My question is where would NZ fly them? China/HKG while they will still be served may reduce frequency?

NZ are dropping LHR freeing up 1 77W which will go to more IAH flying mainly. I’d imagine with no more LHR NZ won’t have a need for the BR frame? Seems unlikely they would keep it to cover the 787 issues any longer?

The 78J is 2.5 years away, personally if there is anymore of a downturn before they arrive some 772s could end up stored temporarily or they are kept more as cover for the 787s if they aren’t all needed anymore.

Basically I can’t see anymore aircraft been added given they have managed to free up an aircraft from HKG aswell by retiming. Let things settle down a bit after so much growth in recent years and now a slightly softer market. And get more flying out of the current fleet.

With the 787 issues NZ will see 3x 787 out of action at any one time on many occasions for most of this year. Picking up a used 77W would not be out of the question (especially since they are about to reconfigure the entire wide body fleets over the next couple of years). The 77W fleet has at least another 5 years before they look to start retiring them meaning at least 7 years before they would be gone.

zkncj

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:23 am

Auckland Airport's 'deteriorating' runway prompts alert from International Federation of Air Line Pilots

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12306688

How does AIAL let the main/only runway get into an condition of this stage?

NZ6

Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:55 am

zkncj wrote:
Auckland Airport's 'deteriorating' runway prompts alert from International Federation of Air Line Pilots

Because it's the same company who's been constantly behind demand with new international gates even though aviation demand has been growing since the GFC
Because it's the same company who's still using a domestic terminal 15 years after it reached operational capacity
Because they opted to prioritize non aviation assets in the mid 2000's.

Because they can't stick to a master plan.

Look at the state it's in.

Are they actually halting domestic economic growth in a small way but preventing JQ/NZ offering more services and/or larger aircraft.

aerokiwi

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:37 am

zkncj wrote:

I thought AIAL upgraded the main taxiway during the last redo of the main runway, to use it as an alternative. Has this been maintained? Is it possible to switch from one to the other given ILS etc? Or is it too risky given the proximity between the two?

NZ6

Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:17 am

aerokiwi wrote:
zkncj wrote:

I thought AIAL upgraded the main taxiway during the last redo of the main runway, to use it as an alternative. Has this been maintained? Is it possible to switch from one to the other given ILS etc? Or is it too risky given the proximity between the two?

My recollection from what I read at the time is, runway 23R and 5L were decommissioned as operational runways immediately after the upgrade to 23L and 5R was completed. So things like ILS, charts and manuals etc are all but non existent for it now.

I wonder how quickly AIAL/Airways NZ could set this up as an alternative given recent events.

As for a second runway on one hand I want to say they should have built it back mid 2000's but it also turns out, if they had it would be in the wrong place so I just don't know.

Zkpilot

Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:39 am

NZ6 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Because it's the same company who's been constantly behind demand with new international gates even though aviation demand has been growing since the GFC
Because it's the same company who's still using a domestic terminal 15 years after it reached operational capacity

Are they actually halting domestic economic growth in a small way but preventing JQ/NZ offering more services and/or larger aircraft.

{checkmark} bingo. Nothing to stop them getting on with the 2nd runway now so it’s ready in 2 years. They can get on with building a new Dom terminal while they’re at it and yes build the extra gates on the new pier at Intl. Yes it costs money, but this is a company with an $11B market cap that makes large and steady profits, that has a low level of gearing and interest rates are at historic lows. They need to cut the BS excuses and just get on and build it!

zkncj

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:14 am

NZ6 wrote:

I’m starting to think it’s time to start an pilot programme to build an second Auckland Airport.

With the use of NZWP as the bass of the pilot programme, to establish model the need of an second airport post an 5 year trail.

An basic LCC style terminal, and offering 12 daily slots to each NZ,QF,VA group to use within there own airline groups.

NZ516

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:13 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

NZ’s growth in recent years has been nothing short of remarkable, some possible because of JV’s but DPS/SIN/IAH/EZE/ORD/KIX/ICN/TPE/EWR, the widebody fleet has gone from 15 777s, 5 763s to 15 or 16 777s and 14 789s, probably a good time it seems to make sure that capacity is absorbed. Still grow by moving capacity around and partnerships.

Interesting re KE, I thought they would use OZ. But again I was surprised with ICN for NZ given KE dominate. I’m not even sure how well KE do, sure they run a daily 748 in summer with a weekly 77W charter plus CHC this year 2 weekly for a few months but as an airline you read things about them and wonder if they make money. Winter just 4-5 weekly 789.

Think the plan is to form a JV with Asiana eventually which will help with the performance of ICN.
But looking back at the past the decision to enter the Korean market for NZ. There was a change of strategy with KE services to AKL. The 2017-18 summer they use the 747-8 daily then they decided to cut back to a 77W for 2018-19 summer at that time. Air NZ may have thought now is the best time to start with the reduction of your competitors operation. Following on from Air NZ announcement of starting 3 per week. KE got wise and decided to fend off their dominant market position and fight back hard by bringing back the 747-8 to AKL for the 2019-20 summer and restarting CHC as well so that the end result is a huge amount of new seats are on offer the NZ-Korean market is now flooded somewhat.
It will take a long time for all this new capacity to be absorbed. I certainly notice a lot of Korean tourists around Christchurch lately which I have not seen before.

NZ6

Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:03 pm

Zkpilot wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

{checkmark} bingo. Nothing to stop them getting on with the 2nd runway now so it’s ready in 2 years. They can get on with building a new Dom terminal while they’re at it and yes build the extra gates on the new pier at Intl. Yes it costs money, but this is a company with an $11B market cap that makes large and steady profits, that has a low level of gearing and interest rates are at historic lows. They need to cut the BS excuses and just get on and build it!

I can't remember, has the new location and extended length been approved? I thought they had submitted applications but it hadn't had it signed off yet. Although I'm far from 100% on this.

NZ6

Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:08 pm

zkncj wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

I’m starting to think it’s time to start an pilot programme to build an second Auckland Airport.

With the use of NZWP as the bass of the pilot programme, to establish model the need of an second airport post an 5 year trail.

An basic LCC style terminal, and offering 12 daily slots to each NZ,QF,VA group to use within there own airline groups.

While I love the idea of a second airport and believe at some point in the future it will be needed, especially if Auckland continues to grow North on both the east and west coasts.

If Whenuapai is off the table the question is how do you fund it, SWZ estimate was $2.4B in 2012

I'd prefer to know how the government could take ownership of AIAL back.

aklrno

Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:38 pm

As I recall (possibly wrongly) the new runway was to be considerably shorter, intended for regional and maybe narrow-body jets. Is the plan now to make it long enough to be an alternate runway for 777, 787, A350 and A380 aircraft?

zkeoj

Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:47 pm

NZ516 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

Think the plan is to form a JV with Asiana eventually which will help with the performance of ICN.
But looking back at the past the decision to enter the Korean market for NZ. There was a change of strategy with KE services to AKL. The 2017-18 summer they use the 747-8 daily then they decided to cut back to a 77W for 2018-19 summer at that time. Air NZ may have thought now is the best time to start with the reduction of your competitors operation. Following on from Air NZ announcement of starting 3 per week. KE got wise and decided to fend off their dominant market position and fight back hard by bringing back the 747-8 to AKL for the 2019-20 summer and restarting CHC as well so that the end result is a huge amount of new seats are on offer the NZ-Korean market is now flooded somewhat.
It will take a long time for all this new capacity to be absorbed. I certainly notice a lot of Korean tourists around Christchurch lately which I have not seen before.

For so much capacity the fares are still pretty high though, which is good for the airlines. We looked at KE to London in August, and while initially they had $1750 fares, we couldn't book then. In December, when we finally could book (and that was still 8 months in advance!), the fares were just below $3000 in Y! We instead booked CI in PE for $2600! And CI flies to LGW, which coincidentally is more convenient for us in terms of where we have to be for a wedding ;-) , but stops in BNE. I flew them in J about 18 months ago and they were really nice as well. Apart from the noise levels, no big difference between A350 and B777 in J.

I love KE - the best seat pitch in Y, friendly, clean, and a great (included) hotel for the stopover outbound. Oh, and bonus is that you can get a 748 if you fly FRA and summer AKL :-) All works well and is pleasant. The only "first-world" problems are the thimbles of wine they serve, haha. That really is a joke. Two sips (literally!) and it's gone. The food last year was mediocre at best - I had much better on OZ - but by no means inedible. For the great seats in Y I am happy to take a lot of other inconveniences (such as the stopover outbound).

NZ6

Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:58 pm

aklrno wrote:
As I recall (possibly wrongly) the new runway was to be considerably shorter, intended for regional and maybe narrow-body jets. Is the plan now to make it long enough to be an alternate runway for 777, 787, A350 and A380 aircraft?

That was the case, it's now proposed for 2,983m which is long enough for almost all AKL departures International and Domestic.

https://corporate.aucklandairport.co.nz ... ubmissions

NZ6

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:32 pm

zkeoj wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

For so much capacity the fares are still pretty high though, which is good for the airlines. We looked at KE to London in August, and while initially they had $1750 fares, we couldn't book then. In December, when we finally could book (and that was still 8 months in advance!), the fares were just below $3000 in Y! We instead booked CI in PE for $2600! And CI flies to LGW, which coincidentally is more convenient for us in terms of where we have to be for a wedding ;-) , but stops in BNE. I flew them in J about 18 months ago and they were really nice as well. Apart from the noise levels, no big difference between A350 and B777 in J.

I love KE - the best seat pitch in Y, friendly, clean, and a great (included) hotel for the stopover outbound. Oh, and bonus is that you can get a 748 if you fly FRA and summer AKL :-) All works well and is pleasant. The only "first-world" problems are the thimbles of wine they serve, haha. That really is a joke. Two sips (literally!) and it's gone. The food last year was mediocre at best - I had much better on OZ - but by no means inedible. For the great seats in Y I am happy to take a lot of other inconveniences (such as the stopover outbound).

KE do really well AKL-ICN from what I can gather, good loads with reasonable yield.

Compare that to NZ who has K/S/L available on the majority of flights over the next 11 months.

As for KE to Europe. It's a great airline but there's some pros/cons which could differ from person to person. Such as the overnight in ICN. Some see it as and love the "free night" while others view it as an inconvenient and unnecessary stop.

I've heard nothing but praise for their seating and crew but what I hear is the meals and IFE undo any good work done.

It highlights how many variables there are when deciding on what's a good airline.

Personally for me, the stop in ICN is a nice to have for a once off change but if I had the time to stop I'd prefer to take it in NRT, HKG or SIN. For the only reason, I love these 3 Asian cities. But that depends on my reason for travel and how much time I have. If I'm going on holiday to Europe, I'd prefer to just get there. If I was to stop, i'd more than likely stop for 2-3 nights, otherwise the time between when you've checked into your hotel after a 12hr flight and the you leave again, well, it's just not enough time, I see it as lost or dead time. Completely personal and differs for everyone and every situation.

ZK-NBT

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:03 pm

NZ6 wrote:
zkeoj wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

KE do really well AKL-ICN from what I can gather, good loads with reasonable yield.

Compare that to NZ who has K/S/L available on the majority of flights over the next 11 months.

As for KE to Europe. It's a great airline but there's some pros/cons which could differ from person to person. Such as the overnight in ICN. Some see it as and love the "free night" while others view it as an inconvenient and unnecessary stop.

I've heard nothing but praise for their seating and crew but what I hear is the meals and IFE undo any good work done.

It highlights how many variables there are when deciding on what's a good airline.

Personally for me, the stop in ICN is a nice to have for a once off change but if I had the time to stop I'd prefer to take it in NRT, HKG or SIN. For the only reason, I love these 3 Asian cities. But that depends on my reason for travel and how much time I have. If I'm going on holiday to Europe, I'd prefer to just get there. If I was to stop, i'd more than likely stop for 2-3 nights, otherwise the time between when you've checked into your hotel after a 12hr flight and the you leave again, well, it's just not enough time, I see it as lost or dead time. Completely personal and differs for everyone and every situation.

Is that because they have had the route to themselves for so long? Are their Loads consistent both ways? Or more skewed towards the inbound market?

They have quite a diverse fleet, I love the 747 but would they be better off with a 2 class 77W for AKL in summer? The 789 seems a good winter aircraft. they No longer offer F to AKL but every widebody in their fleet has an F cabin, a lot of routes had F dropped a while back.

PA515

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:06 pm

Is former Air NZ A320-232 ZK-OJK (msn 2445) going to Solomon Airlines? It was removed from the register yesterday as exported and IE644 departed CHC in the direction of BNE about an hour ago. Solomon Airlines' A320-211 H4-BUS (msn 302) is due to be replaced in the first quarter of 2020.

As for Solomon Airlines' international fleet, the company is hunting down a replacement for its A320, with the lease for this aircraft set to expire in the first quarter of 2020.

https://www.travelweekly.com.au/article ... ion-plans/

PA515

NZ516

Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:18 am

Yes that is right ex NZ 320 ZKOJK has gone CHC to TSV for painting into Solomon airlines livery.

Zkpilot

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:26 am

NZ6 wrote:
aklrno wrote:

That was the case, it's now proposed for 2,983m which is long enough for almost all AKL departures International and Domestic.

https://corporate.aucklandairport.co.nz ... ubmissions

Yes all international flights would now depart on the new runway (except A380 and ULR flights needing the longer Southern runway). This helps with ATC since almost all international flights depart Northish (or West) while almost all domestic flights depart south. It also helps movements on the apron so that you don’t have traffic conflicts between those international and domestic aircraft.
Eventually I imagine that Northen runway would also be extended to the full length or at least around 3400m making the use of the Southern runway rare for international aircraft.

zkeoj

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:44 am

NZ6 wrote:
zkeoj wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

Have to agree with IFE and food, but the comfort of the seats make up for it (for me anyway).

I love that stop in ICN, because the timings are great. You arrive late afternoon/early evening, have a very very nice hotel, a huge breakfast buffet, and are being picked up at 10am again, so not an ungodly hour.
The CI stop in TPE is not so good (for FRA) - it is 17 hours both ways, and day time (arrival early am and departure close to midnight), so if you want to sleep it is 2 nights to book, and not even one staying. I got a good cheap hotel at the railway station last time, so that was easy (and luggage was checked through), but for June cheap ones were gone, and I ended up paying a fortune to stay at the airport day rooms. And if you want to explore the city, 17 hours is VERY long, especially after a 12 hour flight...

If I go to Europe and want to stop for more than one night, I prefer TYO (NRT or HND) or SIN as well - just the best cities for a brief few days. But sometimes I need to get to Europe and back pretty quickly (only there for 5 days or so) - in that case I prefer the ICN stop over a 3 hour layover (unless I have the luxury of J class - then I prefer going straight through, but that doesn't happen very often).

As you said, it is personal preference :-)

zkncj

Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:16 am

PA515 wrote:
Is former Air NZ A320-232 ZK-OJK (msn 2445) going to Solomon Airlines? It was removed from the register yesterday as exported and IE644 departed CHC in the direction of BNE about an hour ago. Solomon Airlines' A320-211 H4-BUS (msn 302) is due to be replaced in the first quarter of 2020.

As for Solomon Airlines' international fleet, the company is hunting down a replacement for its A320, with the lease for this aircraft set to expire in the first quarter of 2020.

https://www.travelweekly.com.au/article ... ion-plans/

PA515

Probably was an great deal for someone like Solomon Airlines, an well
Looked after a320 that’s been kept up to decent ETOPs standards for
all of it life.

Wonder if NZ sold them the cabin fittings? The IFE system would surely be an bit complicated for an airline of there size.

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:02 am

Cathay Pacific reducing AKL to 5 weekly from 1 Mar 20

https://twitter.com/winglets747/status/ ... 27328?s=20
Forum Moderator

PA515

Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:23 pm

NZ516 wrote:
Yes that is right ex NZ 320 ZKOJK has gone CHC to TSV for painting into Solomon airlines livery.

Thanks NZ516.

ZK-OKF as NZ31 EZE-AKL has just shown up on FR24 at 47 degrees south tracking 352 degrees.

https://www.flightradar24.com/ANZ31/23cb54b4
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/zk-okf

PA515

Wellywood

Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:08 pm

Does anyone know why QF7524 CHC-SYD this morning was an A330 rather than the usual 737?
A330 just a rare sight around Chch at the moment.

NZ3

Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:44 pm

Wellywood wrote:
Does anyone know why QF7524 CHC-SYD this morning was an A330 rather than the usual 737?
A330 just a rare sight around Chch at the moment.

The QF B767 Freighter (VH-EFR) is up in SIN in maintenance. The A330 has been flying that run since 30th Jan.

zkncj

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:01 am

qf789 wrote:

Wonder if they would include any wet-lease AKL-HKG flights that CX are currently operating for NZ.

ZK-NBT

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:47 am

zkncj wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Wonder if they would include any wet-lease AKL-HKG flights that CX are currently operating for NZ.

It won’t include the wet leases CX is doing for NZ, CX are 14 weekly through FEB with their own 2 services plus the additional 5 weekly for NZ. So presumably they will still operate 5 weekly in March on behalf of NZ aswell as 5 weekly of their own services.

Nicknuzzii

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:45 am

Any talk of any extra EWR frequencies?

aerorobnz

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:20 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Any talk of any extra EWR frequencies?

Not yet. For one thing, NZ doesn't have the aircraft and for two, the route needs to start and run for a bit in conjunction with the other NA services. I expect it to increase like ORD but early days.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

NZ516

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:03 am

More bad luck for Air NZ with the 787 fleet down to 11 in service unfortunately.
NZD, NZE and NZI now join together at the maintenance base in AKL. There might be a issue with NZR as well it ferry back from SYD as NZ6058. Another one NZH had a 2 night stay up in TPE recently too. Then ferry back as NZ6078. So many issues come all at once it seems.

NZ516

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:24 am

ZK-NBT wrote:

Is that because they have had the route to themselves for so long? Are their Loads consistent both ways? Or more skewed towards the inbound market?

They have quite a diverse fleet, I love the 747 but would they be better off with a 2 class 77W for AKL in summer? The 789 seems a good winter aircraft. they No longer offer F to AKL but every widebody in their fleet has an F cabin, a lot of routes had F dropped a while back.

Yes indeed they have had the route to themselves for over 20 years. So are not used to sharing the market with anyone else with a non stop service. I'm not sure if there loads will be even probably fluctuating with high southbound in early summer and higher northbound at the end of the summer peak.
I expect the KE Christchurch one to be light on the return to begin with as well.

Kiwirob

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:38 pm

NZ6 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

And nothing will ever improve as long as AIAL own the airport, they are far move concerned with ROI to investors than providing the facilities the travelling public needs. One day an NZ govt are going to have to nationalise AKL, it should never have been privatised in the first instance.

zkncj

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:21 pm

NZ516 wrote:
More bad luck for Air NZ with the 787 fleet down to 11 in service unfortunately.
NZD, NZE and NZI now join together at the maintenance base in AKL. There might be a issue with NZR as well it ferry back from SYD as NZ6058. Another one NZH had a 2 night stay up in TPE recently too. Then ferry back as NZ6078. So many issues come all at once it seems.

At least PVG has freed up an 789 for the time being.

zkeoj

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:38 pm

zkncj wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

Are these all still engine related, or are there other issues as well? It is a nightmare for NZ - they have to juggle on a daily basis, and never seem to get "normal" operations as long as these issues are ongoing. How many years have they been in service now, and still have constant issues? I feel really sorry for NZ - not their fault, but they bear the brunt.

zkojq

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:02 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
Re 787 capacity being freed up by the suspension of AKL-PVG, I think it is much more likely that they will be redeployed across the Tasman than AKL-CHC. Quite a few NZ1xx Tasman flights have been operated by A321s (and even A320s) over recent months.

That's per schedule, no? They're dropping the NZ7xx series flight numbers ex AKL iirc.

PA515 wrote:

Very interesting. Their current A320 is one of the oldest around - I think it's ex- Ansett.

Does anyone know what's happening to ex ZK-OJE? Seems to have been stored in Marana, US but I can't find any info on it's future. Was my favourite international A320 - hope it's not being scrapped.

zkeoj wrote:
How many years have they been in service now, and still have constant issues? I feel really sorry for NZ - not their fault, but they bear the brunt.

I too feel sorry about all the chaos that has ensued but my sympathies are limited considering they've ordered more 787s....they could have diversified the fleet.
First to fly the 787-9

NZ516

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:23 pm

zkncj wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

More than one as it takes 1.5 frames to run the daily Auckland to Shanghai route.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos