Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5515
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:32 pm

tullamarine wrote:
The Australian is reporting that JQ is touting 3 788s for sale. Apparently this is because they operate loss making routes thought to be SYD-HNL, MEL-HNL and OOL-NRT. Sale would mean 50 pilots would be made redundant or demoted so whether this is a serious sale campaign or an attempt to force pilots to agree to new EBA is debatable.


I’d say EBA negotiation tactic to have it signed off. Highly doubt QF would consider offloading what are fairly new frames and probably sold off at a loss.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
allrite
Posts: 2606
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:28 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:00 pm

tullamarine wrote:
The Australian is reporting that JQ is touting 3 788s for sale. Apparently this is because they operate loss making routes thought to be SYD-HNL, MEL-HNL and OOL-NRT. Sale would mean 50 pilots would be made redundant or demoted so whether this is a serious sale campaign or an attempt to force pilots to agree to new EBA is debatable.


At the time they were brought into the Jetstar fleet, the 788s were touted as being a lot more cost effective than the A332s they replaced. The A332s mostly moved back to Qantas. Wouldn't the economics still apply?
I like artificial banana essence!
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2442
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:28 pm

allrite wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
The Australian is reporting that JQ is touting 3 788s for sale. Apparently this is because they operate loss making routes thought to be SYD-HNL, MEL-HNL and OOL-NRT. Sale would mean 50 pilots would be made redundant or demoted so whether this is a serious sale campaign or an attempt to force pilots to agree to new EBA is debatable.


At the time they were brought into the Jetstar fleet, the 788s were touted as being a lot more cost effective than the A332s they replaced. The A332s mostly moved back to Qantas. Wouldn't the economics still apply?

From an operating cost, definitely; from a total cost of ownership perspective it is likely a 15 year old A332 is cheaper to operate than a 5 year old 787 due to depreciation and financing costs. I'm a cynic however and doubt very much that JQ have any intention to sell these planes. It is a fairly obvious "negotiation" tactic in relation to the JQ EBA.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
zkncj
Posts: 3763
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:41 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
"Qantas has warned the Australian & International Pilots Association that it will seek outside pilots to launch its Sunrise Project of flying nonstop from Australia’s east coast cities to London and New York if they will not agree to a deal on the table."

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/qan ... h-sunrise/


Worst case they will just get JetConnect to hire some 789 pilots, and then contract then out to Qantas mainline.

NZ has managed to get AKL-EWR over the line with the NZCAA for crewing hours, so Qantas should be able to get it approved for SYD-JFK with AKL based crew
 
SenFinn
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:49 am

It would be hard for JQ to sell aircraft they don’t own. The 788’s are owned by QF.

Is there a market for second hand 788’s? The ex Mexico government aircraft has been sitting in the desert for about 2 years. I can’t recall any sales except Boeing white tails.

Do I hear negotiation tactic?
 
moa999
Posts: 909
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:23 am

The Chinese airlines are reportedly sacking all the contract (ie. Mostly foreign pilots), so it's currently advantage QF in this Jetstar and Sunrise negotiations I would think.

Joyce has been fairly clear that the 787s don't work domestically. Agree all-in it's probably pretty close internationally
 
zkncj
Posts: 3763
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:55 am

SenFinn wrote:
It would be hard for JQ to sell aircraft they don’t own. The 788’s are owned by QF.

Is there a market for second hand 788’s? The ex Mexico government aircraft has been sitting in the desert for about 2 years. I can’t recall any sales except Boeing white tails.

Do I hear negotiation tactic?


If anything by sell it, they could be just meaning transferring it to Jetstar Asia.

Operating 3x 788s with Jetstar Asia pilots, would have to be an cost saving over using Australia based pilots.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1928
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:03 am

moa999 wrote:
The Chinese airlines are reportedly sacking all the contract (ie. Mostly foreign pilots), so it's currently advantage QF in this Jetstar and Sunrise negotiations I would think.

Joyce has been fairly clear that the 787s don't work domestically. Agree all-in it's probably pretty close internationally


Sorry if I missed this somewhere bt if the A330s work why do the 788/9s not? Fleet size or something else? And given the 789 goes to AKL, unless this is for crew training, why would a PER run (outside of QF9/10) not work?
 
myki
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:43 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:14 am

EK413 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
The Australian is reporting that JQ is touting 3 788s for sale. Apparently this is because they operate loss making routes thought to be SYD-HNL, MEL-HNL and OOL-NRT. Sale would mean 50 pilots would be made redundant or demoted so whether this is a serious sale campaign or an attempt to force pilots to agree to new EBA is debatable.


I’d say EBA negotiation tactic to have it signed off. Highly doubt QF would consider offloading what are fairly new frames and probably sold off at a loss.

I was thinking at least 1 of these could be used to beef up some current routes down the track, such as :
    OOL-ICN (too early?)
    MEL-BKK
    MEL-HKT
    MEL-SGN
    SYD-HKT
    SYD-SGN

Perhaps don't want to overkill the available seats?
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2442
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:24 am

zkncj wrote:
SenFinn wrote:
It would be hard for JQ to sell aircraft they don’t own. The 788’s are owned by QF.

Is there a market for second hand 788’s? The ex Mexico government aircraft has been sitting in the desert for about 2 years. I can’t recall any sales except Boeing white tails.

Do I hear negotiation tactic?


If anything by sell it, they could be just meaning transferring it to Jetstar Asia.

Operating 3x 788s with Jetstar Asia pilots, would have to be an cost saving over using Australia based pilots.

..but that would make them Singapore registered planes which would mean they could only operate into AU from SG (unlimited open-skies) but JQ has already withdrawn from routes between AU and SG as it is fairly saturated by SQ, QF and TR. It would not entitle them to service existing routes such as Hawaii etc.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8252
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:30 am

qf2220 wrote:
moa999 wrote:
The Chinese airlines are reportedly sacking all the contract (ie. Mostly foreign pilots), so it's currently advantage QF in this Jetstar and Sunrise negotiations I would think.

Joyce has been fairly clear that the 787s don't work domestically. Agree all-in it's probably pretty close internationally


Sorry if I missed this somewhere bt if the A330s work why do the 788/9s not? Fleet size or something else? And given the 789 goes to AKL, unless this is for crew training, why would a PER run (outside of QF9/10) not work?


A 788 will have lower trip costs than an A330 on just about any route longer than a couple of hundred miles. I think the "won't work" comment is more a reflection of their diminished flexibility with longer turnaround times and wider wingspan meaning they don't fit in most domestic gates. Incidentally both were also issues with the A330 over the 767, which is a big part of the reason why the domestic A330s went to Jetstar in the first place and the 767 stayed around longer. Those A330s were even delivered with "CityFlyer" painted on the side!

Of course there is also the ownership cost, as opposed to trip cost, to consider. A largely depreciated A330 (or previously 767) probably has lower overall costs, especially on relatively short domestic sectors where fuel burn isn't as much of a factor. If you don't need the range then it's a bit of a waste of an aircraft.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 10958
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:07 am

qf2220 wrote:
moa999 wrote:
The Chinese airlines are reportedly sacking all the contract (ie. Mostly foreign pilots), so it's currently advantage QF in this Jetstar and Sunrise negotiations I would think.

Joyce has been fairly clear that the 787s don't work domestically. Agree all-in it's probably pretty close internationally


Sorry if I missed this somewhere bt if the A330s work why do the 788/9s not? Fleet size or something else? And given the 789 goes to AKL, unless this is for crew training, why would a PER run (outside of QF9/10) not work?


Prior to ZNA being delivered, AJ talked about the 797 as being the ideal candidate for being the domestic widebody as both the 787 and A330 economics did not favour the shorter routes. Basically what he wants is a widebody with narrowbody economics including being able to fit into current gates and still able to do those quick turns. I think if they actually went down the path of a 2 class 789 it could perhaps find itself on domestic one day.
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:07 am

Would a 788 work for Jetstar Japan on high volume domestic routes? I mean they were using 747Ds for domestic runs at one point.

Rgds,
C1973
Cheers,
C1973
 
kriskim
Posts: 410
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:02 am

Why can’t the 788’s just be absorbed back into the QF mainline fleet? I’m sure they can be used to Asia or even takeover a few of JQ’s routes.
A world built upon connectivity.
 
SYDSpotter
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:11 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
Would a 788 work for Jetstar Japan on high volume domestic routes? I mean they were using 747Ds for domestic runs at one point.

Rgds,
C1973


JAL and ANA were operating the 744D, not Jetstar Japan.
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789
 
Qantas737
Posts: 759
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2000 8:34 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:18 am

tullamarine wrote:
The Australian is reporting that JQ is touting 3 788s for sale. Apparently this is because they operate loss making routes thought to be SYD-HNL, MEL-HNL and OOL-NRT. Sale would mean 50 pilots would be made redundant or demoted so whether this is a serious sale campaign or an attempt to force pilots to agree to new EBA is debatable.


HNL certainly doesn't surprise me that it is a loss making route. Not only did JQ already drop the BNE-HNL route a few years ago after only operating for a short while, but surely HNL can hardly be described as a 'leisure' market for Australians of late with the weak AUD and ludicrously priced accommodation. I wouldn't be surprised if QF themselves were making a loss on the route.
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:19 am

SYDSpotter wrote:
Chipmunk1973 wrote:
Would a 788 work for Jetstar Japan on high volume domestic routes? I mean they were using 747Ds for domestic runs at one point.

Rgds,
C1973


JAL and ANA were operating the 744D, not Jetstar Japan.


Sorry, my fault. I didn’t mean Jetstar had been operating the 744D, but Japanese airlines in general. I think JAL still operate 773’s that seat 500 Pax. Surely a single class 788 with ~360 pax would be much more efficient?

Rgds,
C1973
Cheers,
C1973
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:30 am

Wasn’t it sometime before the 787 was being introduced to QF/JQ that all these verbal thought bubbles were being mentioned about flights to parts of Europe that QF had previously served such as Italy and Greece?

Would three 788’s support a 3/4 weekly MEL-ATH and 3/4 weekly SYD-FCO? But importantly, would there be demand for it?

Rgds,
C1973
Cheers,
C1973
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2562
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:56 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
Wasn’t it sometime before the 787 was being introduced to QF/JQ that all these verbal thought bubbles were being mentioned about flights to parts of Europe that QF had previously served such as Italy and Greece?

Would three 788’s support a 3/4 weekly MEL-ATH and 3/4 weekly SYD-FCO? But importantly, would there be demand for it?

Rgds,
C1973


SYD-FCO is 10,100 miles and MEL-ATH is 9,260 miles so more importantly, good luck with range first?
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:14 am

Ishrion wrote:

SYD-FCO is 10,100 miles and MEL-ATH is 9,260 miles so more importantly, good luck with range first?


Oh dear, I am having a bad day. Waking up 2 hours early and not getting any more sleep is not being kind.

I should have added with a brief tech/fuel stop at perhaps SIN.

Thanks,
C1973
Cheers,
C1973
 
SYDSpotter
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:15 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
Sorry, my fault. I didn’t mean Jetstar had been operating the 744D, but Japanese airlines in general. I think JAL still operate 773’s that seat 500 Pax. Surely a single class 788 with ~360 pax would be much more efficient?

Rgds,
C1973


Would a 788 packed to the brim be efficient? Absolutely, could Jetstar Japan fill it consistently to make it work? Probably not. It's a pretty big jump in capacity going from an A320 to a 788.
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789
 
xwb777
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:48 am

PS gets the Green Light with or without the Pilots union support.

Link: https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... LzwuB25SpY
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:19 am

xwb777 wrote:
PS gets the Green Light with or without the Pilots union support.

Link: https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... LzwuB25SpY


Wow, interesting. I’d imagine about 8F suites some of which could have dividers removed to make a double suite.

Another new J product? I’m only guessing that it maybe a revision of the current A380 F class but maybe somehow at 4 abreast. And surely Y would have to be a 33/34” pitch.

I can’t see how how 10-12 A35K’s will do SYD-LHR, SYD-FRA, SYD-CDG, SYD-JFK, SYD-JNB, SYD-SCL, MEL-LHR, MEL-JFK on a daily basis. Could they be ordering more? Maybe up to 20-24? I am actually wondering if they’ll add some A359’s into it for PER-LHR, PER-CDG, PER-JNB, and even potentially a PER-CPT? That would possibly suggest moving the 789’s to doing work in SE Asia and east coast AUS to USA perhaps?

Is QF suddenly emerging from a decade or so of hibernation?

Interesting times ahead I think.

Cheers,
C1973
Cheers,
C1973
 
Williamsb747
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 9:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:35 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
xwb777 wrote:
PS gets the Green Light with or without the Pilots union support.

Link: https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... LzwuB25SpY


Wow, interesting. I’d imagine about 8F suites some of which could have dividers removed to make a double suite.

Another new J product? I’m only guessing that it maybe a revision of the current A380 F class but maybe somehow at 4 abreast. And surely Y would have to be a 33/34” pitch.

I can’t see how how 10-12 A35K’s will do SYD-LHR, SYD-FRA, SYD-CDG, SYD-JFK, SYD-JNB, SYD-SCL, MEL-LHR, MEL-JFK on a daily basis. Could they be ordering more? Maybe up to 20-24? I am actually wondering if they’ll add some A359’s into it for PER-LHR, PER-CDG, PER-JNB, and even potentially a PER-CPT? That would possibly suggest moving the 789’s to doing work in SE Asia and east coast AUS to USA perhaps?

Is QF suddenly emerging from a decade or so of hibernation?

Interesting times ahead I think.

Cheers,
C1973


Roughly 2 frames for each MEL-LHR, SYD-LHR, SYD-JFK, MEL-JFK, and SYD-GRU. That’s about 10 frames and then SYD/MEL-CPT would be on a B789, presumably, and so would SCL and JNB. The flights to CDG FRA would be based on if LHR is a massive success and QF order a few more frames as you said 20-24. Also I highly doubt PER-JNB gets anything bigger than a B789, actually the most likely option would be an A330.
But this is all a laymen’s opinion, so take it with a few truck loads of salt.

Williams-
B747>A340>A350>B777>MD11>B767>B757>MD88/90>B787>A380>A330>A220>A320>B737.
CPT JNB
 
myki
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:43 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:08 am

Ishrion wrote:
Chipmunk1973 wrote:
Wasn’t it sometime before the 787 was being introduced to QF/JQ that all these verbal thought bubbles were being mentioned about flights to parts of Europe that QF had previously served such as Italy and Greece?

Would three 788’s support a 3/4 weekly MEL-ATH and 3/4 weekly SYD-FCO? But importantly, would there be demand for it?

Rgds,
C1973


SYD-FCO is 10,100 miles and MEL-ATH is 9,260 miles so more importantly, good luck with range first?

With TR already LCCing on the SIN-ATH route, if there was range, would there be enough pax for both airlines? If, and a big IF, it was going to happen, would probably work better somewhere else Eastern Europe e.g. PRG, VIE, etc. but again, that's a big IF
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:22 am

The other thing I’m kind of curious about is what QF will do when SWZ comes online in a few years.

Will the Sydney-London flights via SIN go from there or would they look at opportunities like LGW?

Rgds,
C1973
Cheers,
C1973
 
myki
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:43 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:16 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
The other thing I’m kind of curious about is what QF will do when SWZ comes online in a few years.

Will the Sydney-London flights via SIN go from there or would they look at opportunities like LGW?

Rgds,
C1973

I would imagine for domestic it would be predominantly JQ and VA territory, with a couple of QF flights thrown in. I'm sure SQ would jump at the chance of having a 'graveyard' departure from SWZ to land in SIN at the crack of dawn, which they can't do from SYD due to curfew. Perhaps (if allowed) QR would dump DOH-SYD-CBR and switch to DOH-SWZ.
 
Obzerva
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:39 am

myki wrote:
Chipmunk1973 wrote:
The other thing I’m kind of curious about is what QF will do when SWZ comes online in a few years.

Will the Sydney-London flights via SIN go from there or would they look at opportunities like LGW?

Rgds,
C1973

I would imagine for domestic it would be predominantly JQ and VA territory, with a couple of QF flights thrown in. I'm sure SQ would jump at the chance of having a 'graveyard' departure from SWZ to land in SIN at the crack of dawn, which they can't do from SYD due to curfew. Perhaps (if allowed) QR would dump DOH-SYD-CBR and switch to DOH-SWZ.


Valid points re CBR, I’m wondering if SWZ will damage CBR’s international ambitions.
SQ’s CBR flight helps with the arrival time on a SYD-CBR last departure because of SYD’s curfew. QR would probably drop CBR if they can given it’s only there so they can run an additional SYD service.
If both were to go, CBR really wouldn’t be left with much.
 
Thatcher
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:30 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:17 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
The other thing I’m kind of curious about is what QF will do when SWZ comes online in a few years.

Will the Sydney-London flights via SIN go from there or would they look at opportunities like LGW?

Rgds,
C1973


With the SYD-many Project Sunrise routes on the horizon, surely QF will have contingencies in place to divert to SWZ if they would otherwise breach the SYD curfew. They'd be crazy not to. Cheaper to bus people across Sydney than it is to accommodate them in some other city.

I could see QF starting some long haul flying out of SWZ in time, if only to utilise the easier domestic-international transfer. Cannot imagine PS flights though, the 'premium heavy' crowd might get lost anywhere west of Five Dock. :-)

Doesn't BA fly, ahem, leisure-configured 777 out of LGW and the 'premium heavy' ones out of LHR?
 
Charters737
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:21 am

Rumour that Virgin looking to get Alliance to fly jets into Albury.

Jetgo used to fly direct to Gold Coast & Brisbane. Think it may have been daily with reasonable loads.sure beats going via Sydney.

If did happen even if not daily passengers could still fly via Sydney in one direction.

With Alliance having 80 & 100 seaters they could possibly switch between aircraft depending on demand.

Was talk when U.S. giant took over Falls Creek & Mt Hotham last year that these resorts might try & recapture lost Queensland skier market in winter most of which now going to nz.
 
User avatar
SCFlyer
Posts: 564
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:42 am

Charters737 wrote:
Rumour that Virgin looking to get Alliance to fly jets into Albury.

Jetgo used to fly direct to Gold Coast & Brisbane. Think it may have been daily with reasonable loads.sure beats going via Sydney.

If did happen even if not daily passengers could still fly via Sydney in one direction.

With Alliance having 80 & 100 seaters they could possibly switch between aircraft depending on demand.

Was talk when U.S. giant took over Falls Creek & Mt Hotham last year that these resorts might try & recapture lost Queensland skier market in winter most of which now going to nz.


Still interesting that VA gets a contractor which is now partly owned by their major competitor (20% stake) to do many of their regional flying since VA had parked the E190s and most of the ATR fleet.
 
TasFlyer
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:45 am

Obzerva wrote:
myki wrote:
Chipmunk1973 wrote:
The other thing I’m kind of curious about is what QF will do when SWZ comes online in a few years.

Will the Sydney-London flights via SIN go from there or would they look at opportunities like LGW?

Rgds,
C1973

I would imagine for domestic it would be predominantly JQ and VA territory, with a couple of QF flights thrown in. I'm sure SQ would jump at the chance of having a 'graveyard' departure from SWZ to land in SIN at the crack of dawn, which they can't do from SYD due to curfew. Perhaps (if allowed) QR would dump DOH-SYD-CBR and switch to DOH-SWZ.


Valid points re CBR, I’m wondering if SWZ will damage CBR’s international ambitions.
SQ’s CBR flight helps with the arrival time on a SYD-CBR last departure because of SYD’s curfew. QR would probably drop CBR if they can given it’s only there so they can run an additional SYD service.
If both were to go, CBR really wouldn’t be left with much.


Joyce has been quite clear in that both QF and JQ will fly to SWZ from day one.
 
TasFlyer
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:48 am

Have there been any rumours about whether JQ plan to delay the 321LR because of the coronovirus?
 
TasFlyer
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:51 am

myki wrote:
a320fan wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

Agreed. Mount Gambier seems almost inevitable.

Burnie, Parkes, Griffith and Grafton are also possibilities IMHO.

Perhaps not right now with the fires affecting lots of the surrounding area, but perhaps Merimbula could be a future QF régional port. ZL serve it from both MEL and SYD.

On the contrary, now would be the perfect time. Gets more people and money in to the community. Get the state to sponsor some of it. SYD/MEL-MIM on Friday, MIM-SYD/MEL on a Sunday. Done.

As previously mentioned, MEL-MGB is one I agree with, but otherwise out of MEL the only other I can think of is BHQ, which could also work for SYD. Just throwing darts on a map, I am basing this on zero statistical data ;)


Perhaps SYD-DPO or SYD-LST then?
 
zkncj
Posts: 3763
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:09 am

TasFlyer wrote:
Have there been any rumours about whether JQ plan to delay the 321LR because of the coronovirus?


It’s likely if they need to delay due to an Asian down turn in the short-term, it think you would see them re-deployed with the QF group.

The 2001 738s in QF’s fleet aren’t getting any younger and are approaching 19 years old.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5515
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:33 am

Obzerva wrote:
myki wrote:
Chipmunk1973 wrote:
The other thing I’m kind of curious about is what QF will do when SWZ comes online in a few years.

Will the Sydney-London flights via SIN go from there or would they look at opportunities like LGW?

Rgds,
C1973

I would imagine for domestic it would be predominantly JQ and VA territory, with a couple of QF flights thrown in. I'm sure SQ would jump at the chance of having a 'graveyard' departure from SWZ to land in SIN at the crack of dawn, which they can't do from SYD due to curfew. Perhaps (if allowed) QR would dump DOH-SYD-CBR and switch to DOH-SWZ.


Valid points re CBR, I’m wondering if SWZ will damage CBR’s international ambitions.
SQ’s CBR flight helps with the arrival time on a SYD-CBR last departure because of SYD’s curfew. QR would probably drop CBR if they can given it’s only there so they can run an additional SYD service.
If both were to go, CBR really wouldn’t be left with much.


QR can’t dump CBR due to the air services agreement. Unless the restrictions are eased the CBR tag will remain in place.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
aerokiwi
Posts: 2788
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2000 1:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:33 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Charters737 wrote:
Rumour that Virgin looking to get Alliance to fly jets into Albury.

Jetgo used to fly direct to Gold Coast & Brisbane. Think it may have been daily with reasonable loads.sure beats going via Sydney.

If did happen even if not daily passengers could still fly via Sydney in one direction.

With Alliance having 80 & 100 seaters they could possibly switch between aircraft depending on demand.

Was talk when U.S. giant took over Falls Creek & Mt Hotham last year that these resorts might try & recapture lost Queensland skier market in winter most of which now going to nz.


Still interesting that VA gets a contractor which is now partly owned by their major competitor (20% stake) to do many of their regional flying since VA had parked the E190s and most of the ATR fleet.


I mean, if it's more cost effective to do so then... why not?

I read recently that QF's takeover attempt of Alliance is opposed by the existing Alliance management. And I believe the ACCC is investigating. You'd think it would be blocked given Alliance's role in the market.
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:02 am

Thatcher wrote:
With the SYD-many Project Sunrise routes on the horizon, surely QF will have contingencies in place to divert to SWZ if they would otherwise breach the SYD curfew. They'd be crazy not to. Cheaper to bus people across Sydney than it is to accommodate them in some other city.

I could see QF starting some long haul flying out of SWZ in time, if only to utilise the easier domestic-international transfer. Cannot imagine PS flights though, the 'premium heavy' crowd might get lost anywhere west of Five Dock. :-)

Doesn't BA fly, ahem, leisure-configured 777 out of LGW and the 'premium heavy' ones out of LHR?



I never imagined any PS flight would depart SWZ. An alt for arrival due to say weather at SYD, definitely (How cool would that be to do an SWZ-SYD flight on an A35K :hyper: ).

That was my understanding of how BA managed LHR and LGW; happy to stand corrected.

Think the “premium heavy” don’t get to the end of where King St and Enmore Rd split in Newtown.

Cheers,
C1973
Cheers,
C1973
 
moa999
Posts: 909
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:11 am

zkncj wrote:
The 2001 738s in QF’s fleet aren’t getting any younger and are approaching 19 years old.


Indeed. And much like after 9/11 QF got those 738s very cheaply (from a cancelled AA order) which helped with quick expansion following Ansett's demise.

Wouldn't be surprised if a long-term Asian dip from the coronavirus gives some short term opportunities for replacements.

As for SWX, I think you will initially see a few QFd flights along with JQ. Internationally probably just the LCCs, and maybe as mentioned above a few midnight flights.

Obviously it will expand over time.
But by that time SYD may be far better for QF-QFi transfers with the current Master Plan adding International gates to both T2 and T3
Last edited by moa999 on Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:15 am

myki wrote:
I'm sure SQ would jump at the chance of having a 'graveyard' departure from SWZ to land in SIN at the crack of dawn, which they can't do from SYD due to curfew...

That makes logical sense to me.

Rgds,
C1973
Cheers,
C1973
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:21 am

TasFlyer wrote:
Have there been any rumours about whether JQ plan to delay the 321LR because of the coronovirus?



Interesting thought that. Well the LR being a neo version and if replacing a ceo version would make sense just purely on operational economics I’d think. Plus there is the flexibility of 1,2, or 3 ACTs to customise range requirements.

Just curious, what sort of timeframe is required to add/remove an ACT for the A321?

Rgds,
C1973
Cheers,
C1973
 
Charters737
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:32 am

TasFlyer wrote:
Obzerva wrote:
myki wrote:
I would imagine for domestic it would be predominantly JQ and VA territory, with a couple of QF flights thrown in. I'm sure SQ would jump at the chance of having a 'graveyard' departure from SWZ to land in SIN at the crack of dawn, which they can't do from SYD due to curfew. Perhaps (if allowed) QR would dump DOH-SYD-CBR and switch to DOH-SWZ.


Valid points re CBR, I’m wondering if SWZ will damage CBR’s international ambitions.
SQ’s CBR flight helps with the arrival time on a SYD-CBR last departure because of SYD’s curfew. QR would probably drop CBR if they can given it’s only there so they can run an additional SYD service.
If both were to go, CBR really wouldn’t be left with much.


Joyce has been quite clear in that both QF and JQ will fly to SWZ from day one.

Suggest qf into swz might be low frequency. Imagine it would be a bit like ool ops.

Low cost international ops with lokes of scoot. No curfew is a huge benefit
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 10958
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:35 am

Today’s QF9 MEL-PER-LHR has been cancelled
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 10958
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:42 am

VH-OEH has operated QF439 to MEL today, tomorrow it will operate an Antarctic charter

Image

Image

https://twitter.com/www16Right/status/1 ... 59042?s=20
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 10958
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:43 am

VH-OQA has arrived at Dresden for cabin refurbs

Image

https://twitter.com/a380fanclub/status/ ... 46689?s=20
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:46 am

qf789 wrote:
VH-OQA has arrived at Dresden for cabin refurbs

https://twitter.com/a380fanclub/status/ ... 46689?s=20


I thought the refurbs were being done in DXB?

Cheers,
C1973
Cheers,
C1973
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 10958
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:49 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
VH-OQA has arrived at Dresden for cabin refurbs

https://twitter.com/a380fanclub/status/ ... 46689?s=20


I thought the refurbs were being done in DXB?

Cheers,
C1973


No they had 8 A388's repainted in DXB, AUH is used for heavy maintenance plus the occasional refurb and DRS is where most A388's are being refurbed
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 10958
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:53 am

Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:55 am

qf789 wrote:

No they had 8 A388's repainted in DXB, AUH is used for heavy maintenance plus the occasional refurb and DRS is where most A388's are being refurbed



Ahhh, got it confused with the repaint jobs. Thank you.

Cheers,
C1973
Cheers,
C1973
 
myki
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:43 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:10 am

EK413 wrote:
Obzerva wrote:
myki wrote:
I would imagine for domestic it would be predominantly JQ and VA territory, with a couple of QF flights thrown in. I'm sure SQ would jump at the chance of having a 'graveyard' departure from SWZ to land in SIN at the crack of dawn, which they can't do from SYD due to curfew. Perhaps (if allowed) QR would dump DOH-SYD-CBR and switch to DOH-SWZ.


Valid points re CBR, I’m wondering if SWZ will damage CBR’s international ambitions.
SQ’s CBR flight helps with the arrival time on a SYD-CBR last departure because of SYD’s curfew. QR would probably drop CBR if they can given it’s only there so they can run an additional SYD service.
If both were to go, CBR really wouldn’t be left with much.


QR can’t dump CBR due to the air services agreement. Unless the restrictions are eased the CBR tag will remain in place.

It's not the they have to fly to CBR to get the extra 7 flights in to Australia, just that it had to include something other than PER/MEL/SYD/BNE (any other airports e.g. ADL do not have any limits). They could've chosen DOH-SYD-OOL/DRW/HBA/CNS. So they can dump CBR, but to keep the extra flight, the SYD-CBR tag has to be moved to some other SYD-XXX route.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos