Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11123
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:08 pm

China Southern adjustments for Australia services

ADL - 3 weekly A333 cancelled till 20 Jun 20
BNE - daily 789 cancelled till 19 Jun 20
MEL - CZ321/322, A333 replaces A359 from entire NS20, CZ343/344 resumes 3 weekly A359 from 20 Jun 20
PER - 3 weekly A333 cancelled till 19 Jun 20
SYD - CZ325/326 A333 replaces A359 for entire NS20, CZ301/302 A359 resumes 3 weekly from 21 Jun 20

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-20feb20/
Forum Moderator
 
Fuling
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:41 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:16 pm

qf789 wrote:
Jetstar Asia to launch flights to CMB from July, could this be the first step for flying to India and also help support a future QF flight to India

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... july-2020/


CMB is in Sri Lanka, not India. Are they similar markets, and is CMB comparable to the likes of DEL or BOM?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11123
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:19 pm

Fuling wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Jetstar Asia to launch flights to CMB from July, could this be the first step for flying to India and also help support a future QF flight to India

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... july-2020/


CMB is in Sri Lanka, not India. Are they similar markets, and is CMB comparable to the likes of DEL or BOM?


I am quite aware that CMB is in Sri Lanka, my point is, is this the first sign of them actually expanding into India which is a hole in their network from SIN
Forum Moderator
 
qf2048
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:16 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:03 pm

qf002 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
Isn’t SYD’s long term plan is to relocate all QF services to T2/3, and move VA/TT over to T1.


The plan to move VA to T1 has been scrapped but QF could still consolidate to a built-out T3 on the eastern side.


Wasn't the plan for all Oneworld and Qantas partner airlines to move too? Not sure which side NZ would end up going though?
ZL,QF,KE,BA,AS,CX,FR,U2,W6,EI,IB,JL,AY,LH,AA,AC,FQ,DJ,JQ,LA,FJ,QS,NZ,NF,SB,PG,EK,AB,VA,MH,KA,VN
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1784
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:31 am

Fuling wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Jetstar Asia to launch flights to CMB from July, could this be the first step for flying to India and also help support a future QF flight to India

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... july-2020/


CMB is in Sri Lanka, not India. Are they similar markets, and is CMB comparable to the likes of DEL or BOM?

My limited knowledge would say so - both VFR heavy and with limted (but existing) high-yield pax. Many of the clients in my companies who pays the big bucks still love to travel via SIN on SQ to India/Sri Lanka despite direct flights.

Michael
 
myki
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:43 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:07 am

eamondzhang wrote:
Fuling wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Jetstar Asia to launch flights to CMB from July, could this be the first step for flying to India and also help support a future QF flight to India

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... july-2020/


CMB is in Sri Lanka, not India. Are they similar markets, and is CMB comparable to the likes of DEL or BOM?

My limited knowledge would say so - both VFR heavy and with limted (but existing) high-yield pax. Many of the clients in my companies who pays the big bucks still love to travel via SIN on SQ to India/Sri Lanka despite direct flights.

Michael

Direct flights are fairly limited though ... there is a daily MEL-CMB on UL, and a handful a week for MEL-DEL and SYD-DEL on AI. The Indian market is so dispersed it would be like saying SA have the South Africa - Australia market covered as they fly only to PER. Not sure if there are enough bums available for seats to have MEL/SYD/BNE/PER-DEL, MEL/SYD/BNE/PER-BOM, MEL/SYD/BNE/PER-BLR, etc. etc. Probably also why mid-way hubs such as SIN and KUL can grab the market here.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1970
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:15 pm

Yeah a hub strategy is what QF needs for India (if it wants to go there).

Left of centre idea - once a few more 789s and A350s are in the fleet, a few A380s could be reconfigured to run say SYD and MEL to CMB (with one flight possibly onto BOM or DEL (or other major centre), and UL run the distribution flights to the Indian cities. Some smaller aircraft flying to say BNE and PER might also help.

Would require a fair bit of investment and coordination at CMB plus competition regulator approvals. Though would the effort be worth it? The only thing i see here that makes some sense is finding a job for the A380s once theyre replaced by more point to point flying by smaller aircraft.
 
FromCDGtoSYD
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:29 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:23 pm

qf2220 wrote:


More Jetstar flying to India with QF metal for BOM DEL BLR by hubbing in SIN could work and would justify A380 capacity although they would face the full might of SQ.
Not saying its a good idea but it could work.
 
Sparker
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:54 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:35 pm

Qantas is considering the 737MAX (or is at least exploring how its reputation as the safest airline in the world post-MAX grounding could be used to strengthen its negotiating position with Airbus and Boeing): https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 543fo.html
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1784
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:37 pm

qf2220 wrote:
Yeah a hub strategy is what QF needs for India (if it wants to go there).

Left of centre idea - once a few more 789s and A350s are in the fleet, a few A380s could be reconfigured to run say SYD and MEL to CMB (with one flight possibly onto BOM or DEL (or other major centre), and UL run the distribution flights to the Indian cities. Some smaller aircraft flying to say BNE and PER might also help.

Would require a fair bit of investment and coordination at CMB plus competition regulator approvals. Though would the effort be worth it? The only thing i see here that makes some sense is finding a job for the A380s once theyre replaced by more point to point flying by smaller aircraft.

Arguably once 789/A350 replaces A330 the A330 can do this job just fine

For A380 there's bigger fish to fry IMO

Michael
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2527
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:30 am

Sparker wrote:
Qantas is considering the 737MAX (or is at least exploring how its reputation as the safest airline in the world post-MAX grounding could be used to strengthen its negotiating position with Airbus and Boeing): https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 543fo.html

What a nothing article. At the end of the article I think I knew less than I did at the start.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
Sparker
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:54 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:41 am

tullamarine wrote:
Sparker wrote:
Qantas is considering the 737MAX (or is at least exploring how its reputation as the safest airline in the world post-MAX grounding could be used to strengthen its negotiating position with Airbus and Boeing): https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 543fo.html

What a nothing article. At the end of the article I think I knew less than I did at the start.


I'm finding it interesting just how much QF is conducting and telegraphing all of its negotiations (Sunrise, EBAs, NMA, 737 replacement, PER disputes etc) through the press. It's clearly intentional - markedly different to how many other airlines operate.
 
jrfspa320
Posts: 581
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:56 am

DFAT has changed their travel advise for South Korea and Japan in relation to increasing coronovirus. Air New Zealand has suspended its Seoul service.

Doesnt bode well for the increase in Australian flights to Japan, could see further flight reductions.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8339
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:12 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
DFAT has changed their travel advise for South Korea and Japan in relation to increasing coronovirus. Air New Zealand has suspended its Seoul service.

Doesnt bode well for the increase in Australian flights to Japan, could see further flight reductions.


It's really unfortunate timing for VA. The Haneda slots must be used by 28 March or they are surrendered. Qantas have a lot more flexibility to down-gauge SYD-HND and cut SYD-KIX and BNE-NRT (at least for the Northern Summer) if the market really tanks, while still fully utilising their HND slots. VA are stuck trying to establish themselves in a cooling market.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1970
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:46 am

Given the virus outbreak might the March 28 timeframe be extended?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11123
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:50 am

QF’s PVG service remains suspended till end of May

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-21feb20/
Forum Moderator
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2527
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:12 am

qf2220 wrote:
Given the virus outbreak might the March 28 timeframe be extended?

You would expect so.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
Obzerva
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:31 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
DFAT has changed their travel advise for South Korea and Japan in relation to increasing coronovirus. Air New Zealand has suspended its Seoul service.

Doesnt bode well for the increase in Australian flights to Japan, could see further flight reductions.


It's really unfortunate timing for VA. The Haneda slots must be used by 28 March or they are surrendered. Qantas have a lot more flexibility to down-gauge SYD-HND and cut SYD-KIX and BNE-NRT (at least for the Northern Summer) if the market really tanks, while still fully utilising their HND slots. VA are stuck trying to establish themselves in a cooling market.


VA’s Asian expansions seem to have a distinct deja vu of AN’s expanding around the time of the Asian financial crisis.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3867
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:33 am

Sparker wrote:
Qantas is considering the 737MAX (or is at least exploring how its reputation as the safest airline in the world post-MAX grounding could be used to strengthen its negotiating position with Airbus and Boeing): https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 543fo.html


With no 737MAXes orders this year, surely Boeing is having an garage sale at the moment on the 737MAX.

Although you would think that any airline would want to be very care about making an MAX order at the monent. To the general public it’s an “very dangerous” aircraft that they wouldn’t want to travel on.
 
aerokiwi
Posts: 2788
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2000 1:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:45 am

Sparker wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Sparker wrote:
Qantas is considering the 737MAX (or is at least exploring how its reputation as the safest airline in the world post-MAX grounding could be used to strengthen its negotiating position with Airbus and Boeing): https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 543fo.html

What a nothing article. At the end of the article I think I knew less than I did at the start.


I'm finding it interesting just how much QF is conducting and telegraphing all of its negotiations (Sunrise, EBAs, NMA, 737 replacement, PER disputes etc) through the press. It's clearly intentional - markedly different to how many other airlines operate.


Yeah I've noticed that too. Joyce's clumsy threat to pilots regarding Project Sunrise, using the"totally 100 per cent true" anecdote of a China-based Australian pilot contacting him offering to set up a company to supply lower cost pilots for PS, was pretty random and antagonistic. Then crowing about progress in talks since the elevation of his threats... weird. I noticed the Jetstar CEO being particularly aggressive on the news regarding the strike there. His lowest paid staff asking for minimum hours while the Group CEO gets $20 million+ and crying poor... yeah, great look.

Strikes me as pretty arrogant and brash. Is this the Qantas of old? What's it like for staff there? Are there any QF pilots on here to offer insight?

Meanwhile, Scurrah keeps a pretty low profile and when he is in the media, it's all kept super corporate bland and humble. Though that didn't stop him getting pinged on here by an earlier commentor for doing a newspaper interview at a nice restaurant. Go figure.
 
User avatar
SCFlyer
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:07 am

Obzerva wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
DFAT has changed their travel advise for South Korea and Japan in relation to increasing coronovirus. Air New Zealand has suspended its Seoul service.

Doesnt bode well for the increase in Australian flights to Japan, could see further flight reductions.


It's really unfortunate timing for VA. The Haneda slots must be used by 28 March or they are surrendered. Qantas have a lot more flexibility to down-gauge SYD-HND and cut SYD-KIX and BNE-NRT (at least for the Northern Summer) if the market really tanks, while still fully utilising their HND slots. VA are stuck trying to establish themselves in a cooling market.


VA’s Asian expansions seem to have a distinct deja vu of AN’s expanding around the time of the Asian financial crisis.


AN expanded reasonably rapidly prior to the Asian Financial Crisis hitting from memory. At their peak they were flying to KUL (SYD-KUL and MEL-CGK-KUL), SYD/MEL-CGK, SYD/MEL/BNE/PER/DRW to DPS, SEL, TPE, SHA, HKG, KIX and AKL.

After the crisis hit, If I recall correctly, AN were reduced to DPS (from all AU capitals), HKG, KIX (via BNE), TPE and SHA.
TPE and SHA were later axed and SYD/BNE-NAN (twice weekly) and MEL-HKG (four weekly) was added.
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:47 am

zkncj wrote:
Sparker wrote:
Qantas is considering the 737MAX (or is at least exploring how its reputation as the safest airline in the world post-MAX grounding could be used to strengthen its negotiating position with Airbus and Boeing): https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 543fo.html


With no 737MAXes orders this year, surely Boeing is having an garage sale at the moment on the 737MAX.

Although you would think that any airline would want to be very care about making an MAX order at the monent. To the general public it’s an “very dangerous” aircraft that they wouldn’t want to travel on.


Maybe QF already have a preference about which narrow body they want in their fleet. Bu they are just making public statements like this just so they can let everyone know it's not a done deal to secure the best possible price. Since I am personally confident the MAX will return to service at some point, they still have hundreds of planes to rectify and restart a complex production system. It’ll be quite some time before any new orders will get delivered. So I’m not of the opinion that there will be fire sale any time soon.

Qantas have at times tried to keep their fleet to as to as fewer variants as possible. Given that they have stated they are considering adding the A321LR/XLR to their fleet I wondered if the MAX would still be a contender. Whilst the airframes are certainly very different, they both utilise the LEAP engine, albeit different variants. Perhaps there is some savings to be had in engine maintenance.

Rgds,
C1973
Cheers,
C1973


B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.
 
mrkerr7474
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:50 am

Apologies if I missed this previously, however was just wondering why QF are keeping the 787 on SYD to AKL flights, initially Dec to Mar but now it goes through April and May as well?

Thank you in advance
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8339
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:03 am

mrkerr7474 wrote:
Apologies if I missed this previously, however was just wondering why QF are keeping the 787 on SYD to AKL flights, initially Dec to Mar but now it goes through April and May as well?

Thank you in advance


It can be operated as a turnaround between SFO flights: QF74>QF141>QF144>QF73. It's an easy way to use an aircraft that would otherwise be sitting around doing nothing, and presumably frees up an A330 for something else. I assume that QF141/144 will remain operated by the 787 until SCL transitions to the 787 in June.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5538
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:05 am

China Southern Cargo mercy flight operated to Sydney today to pick up emergency medical supplies, baby formulas, medical masks.

Flight CZ5206 from Sydney
https://fr24.com/CSN5206/23f7d0da

https://www.facebook.com/7NEWSsydney/vi ... 1679/?vh=e




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
HM7
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:01 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:59 pm

Qantas’s Instagram story shows a 747 in a 2020 Olympic livery with silver Roo scheme titles. Do we think this will actually happen?
CRJ200, CRJ700, CRJ900, Q400, E175, E195, MD88, MD90, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A388, B712, B734, B738, B739, B752, B762, B763ER, B789, B744, B744ER
 
qf002
Posts: 3669
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:21 pm

HM7 wrote:
Qantas’s Instagram story shows a 747 in a 2020 Olympic livery with silver Roo scheme titles. Do we think this will actually happen?


Probably - will all be decals and the aircraft will wear them until her retirement anyway. The real question is what happens with the tail, a one-off hybrid of the old roo with new titles? Seems like a branding director’s worst nightmare. Maybe they could repaint the aircraft white with a plain red tail and then apply the rest of the livery in the form of decals (titles and tail) ready to peel off before heading to the graveyard?
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5571
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:55 pm

qf002 wrote:
HM7 wrote:
Qantas’s Instagram story shows a 747 in a 2020 Olympic livery with silver Roo scheme titles. Do we think this will actually happen?


Probably - will all be decals and the aircraft will wear them until her retirement anyway. The real question is what happens with the tail, a one-off hybrid of the old roo with new titles? Seems like a branding director’s worst nightmare. Maybe they could repaint the aircraft white with a plain red tail and then apply the rest of the livery in the form of decals (titles and tail) ready to peel off before heading to the graveyard?

I’m just waiting for someone to start going on about the engines on the 747 in the Instagram story...

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
mrkerr7474
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:11 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
mrkerr7474 wrote:
Apologies if I missed this previously, however was just wondering why QF are keeping the 787 on SYD to AKL flights, initially Dec to Mar but now it goes through April and May as well?

Thank you in advance


It can be operated as a turnaround between SFO flights: QF74>QF141>QF144>QF73. It's an easy way to use an aircraft that would otherwise be sitting around doing nothing, and presumably frees up an A330 for something else. I assume that QF141/144 will remain operated by the 787 until SCL transitions to the 787 in June.


I thought that would be the case, just wanted to make sure. I see that it changes to QF143 and then QF146 from April onwards, presumably due to the time QF141 leaves SYD in those months.

Thanks for the reply
 
ben175
Posts: 803
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:47 am

Looks like QF is streamlining some domestic flight numbers later this year - just booked a couple of MEL-PER return sectors and all flight numbers are now QF77X and QF78X in both directions.
 
myki
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:43 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:30 am

ben175 wrote:
Looks like QF is streamlining some domestic flight numbers later this year - just booked a couple of MEL-PER return sectors and all flight numbers are now QF77X and QF78X in both directions.

A flight number is borderline irrelevant to the general passenger. Whether it is flight number 123 or 456, it is still going from A to B, and also has no impact on whether or not they will book the flight. I've always wondered ... what is the purpose of changing flight numbers?
 
ben175
Posts: 803
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:38 am

myki wrote:
ben175 wrote:
Looks like QF is streamlining some domestic flight numbers later this year - just booked a couple of MEL-PER return sectors and all flight numbers are now QF77X and QF78X in both directions.

A flight number is borderline irrelevant to the general passenger. Whether it is flight number 123 or 456, it is still going from A to B, and also has no impact on whether or not they will book the flight. I've always wondered ... what is the purpose of changing flight numbers?


I'd say it probably makes things easier for ground staff/passengers when bumped from one flight to next etc (if all the flights numbers are sequential based on departure time) and keeps things organised in the database. I do see your point though, it doesn't seem super necessary.
 
smi0006
Posts: 2565
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:48 am

ben175 wrote:
myki wrote:
ben175 wrote:
Looks like QF is streamlining some domestic flight numbers later this year - just booked a couple of MEL-PER return sectors and all flight numbers are now QF77X and QF78X in both directions.

A flight number is borderline irrelevant to the general passenger. Whether it is flight number 123 or 456, it is still going from A to B, and also has no impact on whether or not they will book the flight. I've always wondered ... what is the purpose of changing flight numbers?


I'd say it probably makes things easier for ground staff/passengers when bumped from one flight to next etc (if all the flights numbers are sequential based on departure time) and keeps things organised in the database. I do see your point though, it doesn't seem super necessary.


Some carriers also file flight numbers with different codes depending on a number of variables - NZ used to have widebody flights starting with 1 and narrow body starting with 7 across the Tasman. This then caused issues with slots when a downgauge occurred, historical rights to slots, widebody VS narrowbody slots, internal crew systems, then a flight number would be changed which caused issues to booking so it was streamlined to avoid this as it looked as if pax had been disrupted. Perhaps QF is changing this also?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11123
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:38 am

Qantas pilots have put forward a lengthy proposal to QF management

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/qan ... l-company/
Forum Moderator
 
moa999
Posts: 943
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:06 am

Interesting.
What's the current difference between 330 and 747 hourly rates?

There is a substantial gap in the number of passengers carried.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8339
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:56 am

moa999 wrote:
Interesting.
What's the current difference between 330 and 747 hourly rates?

There is a substantial gap in the number of passengers carried.


The difference is about $14/hour for a captain and less than $10/hour for FO and SO.

https://www.fwc.gov.au/document/agreement/AE415325

Given that AIPA are giving ground on overtime and some other allowances (the "productivity" gains that Qantas want) then this seems like a reasonably fair proposition. In effect it increases pay on shorter sectors at the expense of lower (expected) earnings on longer sectors.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11123
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:59 am

PER currently on blue alert due to thunderstorms
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11123
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:23 am

Currently there are about 20 aircraft holding around PER, with another 5-10 to be placed in holds shortly
Forum Moderator
 
moa999
Posts: 943
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:47 am

RyanairGuru wrote:

The difference is about $14/hour for a captain and less than $10/hour for FO and SO.
.


Still $9-12k at 900 hours, but less than I'd thought.
Tables aren't clear with the 787 being separate, but would that put the 330 pay ahead of 787s, other than maybe FOs?
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8339
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:49 am

moa999 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

The difference is about $14/hour for a captain and less than $10/hour for FO and SO.
.


Still $9-12k at 900 hours, but less than I'd thought.
Tables aren't clear with the 787 being separate, but would that put the 330 pay ahead of 787s, other than maybe FOs?


I agree it isn't very clear, but unless I am reading it wrong a 4 year (i.e. topped out) captain or FO on the 787 has higher hourly pay than someone with 12 years (topped out) on the A380. The trade off is the loss of overtime etc which is why A380 (and 747) drivers take home more in total compensation.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
moa999
Posts: 943
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:47 am

So difficult to know without disclosure of the overtime compromises.

Conceptually I'd think you should end up somewhere between a 747 and 787 package in terms of aircraft size.

But that attempt to combine the 350 and 330 under one package per the pilot proposal is strange, because at least in terms of seniority the prior EBA is clear a 787 is above a 330.

Now maybe it doesn't greatly matter as the 333s don't have a huge life left.
 
Obzerva
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:16 pm

I see VA has reported a half year loss of $88.6m, which includes one off costs.

Readily admit I’m not the most financial savvy person, given they bought back Velocity, if that hadn’t been the case would it actually have been a profit?

Other news to come from the announcement was seven A320s to get gone from TT by October.
TT’s fleet replacement really has been at a glacial pace.
 
getluv
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:28 pm

The results are horrendous when you consider QF's results were mostly flat on an underlying basis.

$14.5M underlying profit. Down 97% from last year.
It recorded a statutory loss of $89M compared to a $74M profit last year.

- 3-5% capacity cuts this 2H20 and FY21.
- Another $50M-$75M hit expected in 2H20.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 544eh.html

Dire days ahead with HNA also to be liquidated by the Chinese Government.
I'm that bad type.
 
brucetiki
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:36 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:42 pm

The first stage of ADL's upgrade has opened today.
The early bird catches the worm, the late bird will be featured on a You Tube video
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:34 am

getluv wrote:
The results are horrendous when you consider QF's results were mostly flat on an underlying basis.

$14.5M underlying profit. Down 97% from last year.
It recorded a statutory loss of $89M compared to a $74M profit last year.

- 3-5% capacity cuts this 2H20 and FY21.
- Another $50M-$75M hit expected in 2H20.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 544eh.html

Dire days ahead with HNA also to be liquidated by the Chinese Government.


And don’t forget Tigerair are handing back their A320s and are getting two 738s from VA leaving them with a fleet of 8.

Rgds,
C1973
Cheers,
C1973


B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.
 
moa999
Posts: 943
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:06 am

And it looks like it's costly handing back the 320s early. $29m one-off charge
 
jman
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:41 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:37 am

And they're closing the BNE and SYD crew bases
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11123
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:21 am

PER about to have another thunderstorm past through, flights could be affected
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11123
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:37 am

Paul Scurrah has also said today VA will consider a widebody order as early as this year to replace A332’s and 77W’s, one aircraft namely 787 or A350 would replace both fleets

https://www.reuters.com/article/virgin- ... SL4N2AP1J3
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:09 am

moa999 wrote:
And it looks like it's costly handing back the 320s early. $29m one-off charge


Well, at least Borghetti didn’t buy any A340s... :lol:

Rgds,
C1973
Cheers,
C1973


B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos