Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

edealinfo

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:51 pm

IndiGo in talks with Jetstar, Qantas for codeshare partnership

With Qantas, it is likely to be one-way but with Jetstar, it is likely to be a two-way codeshare agreement like that of Turkish Airlines (what do they mean by one-way , and one way in which direction? And, why is it only one-way -- systems issue?)

IndiGo's relationship with Qantas may be similar to that of Qatar Airways where it can sell 20 seats on each IndiGo flight connecting Doha with Delhi, Mumbai and Hyderabad.

I am assuming that this is Indigo's response to the Vistara -Singapore Airlines partnership to fly passengers to Australia

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 263584.cms

https://www.businesstoday.in/sectors/av ... 96718.html
Last edited by edealinfo on Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edealinfo

Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:53 pm

The top 3 cleanest airports in India are Kolkata, Chennai, and Jaipur, respectively.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... 261832.cms?

edealinfo

Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:57 pm

A day long conference hosted by IIM Bangalore, Bangalore International Airport Limited, and Toulouse Business School France discuss a lot of generalities and mumbo jumbo. Attendees ought to ask for a refund of the conference fees.

Read more at:
https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.com/ ... 261677.cms?

VTCIE

Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:58 pm

TEMPO wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
TEMPO wrote:
I flew Vistara for the first time a few weeks ago, and was impressed.

Could you please share your experience and elaborate why you were impressed?

I was on the 9:10 PM departure from BLR to DEL. It was delayed to 10:30 PM after early morning fog issues at DEL which caused the usual chain reaction in the aircraft’s schedule through the whole day. The flight is a major connector for overnight international flights out of DEL, and there were a lot of anxious passengers on board. I watched as the six cabin crew dealt with repeated questions from passengers with kindness and their full attention to each individual or family. They were not treated as “demanding customers” or “neurotic travellers”, but as people, with genuine worries and issues caused by Vistara’s delays. A young girl had been affected by her parents’ tension and was acting up, and the crew took her to the forward galley and plyed her with good stuff. She came back all smiles.

In the end, 21st century travel with airlines is not about the hard product or the soft product or any of the other terms I see bandied about here. It’s just getting from A to B without worry and tension, and with a certain degree of comfort. Vistara crew really tried to make that happen. Well done, I say.

Happy to hear about that kid being treated kindly by the Vistara crew. Many international airlines—including 9W, may it rest in peace instead of being passed around like a game of Hot Potato from investor to court to bank to tribunal—show their crew delighting children, with big smiles on everyone’s faces, in their advertisements. This little girl could be a perfect advertisement for Vistara’s service.
Last edited by VTCIE on Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avier

Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:00 pm

After 6E, now SpiceJet will start Mumbai-Aurangabad from summer '20. This route along with many others faced capacity shortage after 9W shutdown.
Also, SG will go double daily on Mumbai- Rajkot, Mumbai-Bagdogra, Mumbai-Mangalore from summer schedule.
Some other Gujarat cities still seem to be facing capacity/connectivity issues to Mumbai though, with airlines yet to fill up 9W routes there. AI enjoys a monopoly on many such sectors with sky high fares.

SG also renters Hyderabad-Mangalore route with twice daily service. They had pulled out of this route when 6E entered this route. SG probably realised they can't keep running away to new markets, as 6E would eventually play catch-up and be everywhere. 6E has gone after many of SG's monopoly stations like Shirdi/ Surat/ Gorakhpur in the recent past, and with SG's "cash running out" situation (only 60cr cash reserve per media reports) I wonder what future plans SG has to stay viable.

avier

Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:03 pm

edealinfo wrote:
The top 3 cleanest airports in India are Kolkata, Chennai, and Jaipur, respectively.

Yeah right! The three crappy AAI run airports are cleanest, and the plush airports of DEL/BOM/BLR/HYD aren't right?

edealinfo

Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:50 pm

While Pune adds domestic flights, international flights fall by 50%.

if it weren't for the coronavirus I would say Vistara should start Pune to Singapore.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/pune-new ... ntTLJ.html

edealinfo

Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:18 pm

avier wrote:
After 6E, now SpiceJet will start Mumbai-Aurangabad from summer '20. This route along with many others faced capacity shortage after 9W shutdown.
Also, SG will go double daily on Mumbai- Rajkot, Mumbai-Bagdogra, Mumbai-Mangalore from summer schedule.
Some other Gujarat cities still seem to be facing capacity/connectivity issues to Mumbai though, with airlines yet to fill up 9W routes there. AI enjoys a monopoly on many such sectors with sky high fares.

SG also renters Hyderabad-Mangalore route with twice daily service. They had pulled out of this route when 6E entered this route. SG probably realised they can't keep running away to new markets, as 6E would eventually play catch-up and be everywhere. 6E has gone after many of SG's monopoly stations like Shirdi/ Surat/ Gorakhpur in the recent past, and with SG's "cash running out" situation (only 60cr cash reserve per media reports) I wonder what future plans SG has to stay viable.

1. Still called "Aurangabad"? I thought the Dear Leader or the Yogi would have changed it by now. Wasn't it named after Aurangzeb?

2. Where did SpicJet get the slots to and from Mumbai? Or, did they originally belong to Spicejet which had to temporarily cut down BOM routes because of the BOM runway closure?

3, I just read a report a few days ago (in one of the Indian financial newspapers) in which a brokerage increased the price target on SpiceJet by 50%. I found the report shocking but did not post it because it was about share prices and I am not sure about the interest here. I tried a google search today but am unable to locate it.

avier

Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:11 pm

edealinfo wrote:
1. Still called "Aurangabad"? I thought the Dear Leader or the Yogi would have changed it by now. Wasn't it named after Aurangzeb?

2. Where did SpicJet get the slots to and from Mumbai? Or, did they originally belong to Spicejet which had to temporarily cut down BOM routes because of the BOM runway closure?

3, I just read a report a few days ago (in one of the Indian financial newspapers) in which a brokerage increased the price target on SpiceJet by 50%. I found the report shocking but did not post it because it was about share prices and I am not sure about the interest here. I tried a google search today but am unable to locate it.

1. Aurangabad is in Maharashtra, so not sure where is the yogi connection. And leader would have to change a whole host of citie's names, if that was really his concern, including his very own Ahmed-abad.
2. They were no reduction in flights during runway recarpeting work at BOM. All flight were operated on 14/32 during those hours.
Regarding the new SG flights, they come by way of chopping and rejigging other flights from BOM. Something similar like done at say LHR. So if you notice new domestic flight additions at BOM, understand the airline has chopped some other flight. Regarding int'l flights, I notice BOM still issues new slots to all airlines, hence 6E has been launching a spree of new Int'l flights out of BOM.
3. Don't ever go by those crappy brokerage sites and their targets. They mean absolutely nothing in regards to the company and their financial situation.

edealinfo

Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:14 pm

avier wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

1. Aurangabad is in Maharashtra, so not sure where is the yogi connection. And leader would have to change a whole host of citie's names, if that was really his concern, including his very own Ahmed-abad.
2. They were no reduction in flights during runway recarpeting work at BOM. All flight were operated on 14/32 during those hours.
Regarding the new SG flights, they come by way of chopping and rejigging other flights from BOM. Something similar like done at say LHR. So if you notice new domestic flight additions at BOM, understand the airline has chopped some other flight. Regarding int'l flights, I notice BOM still issues new slots to all airlines, hence 6E has been launching a spree of new Int'l flights out of BOM.
3. Don't ever go by those crappy brokerage sites and their targets. They mean absolutely nothing in regards to the company and their financial situation.

Thanks!

avier

Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:35 pm

avier wrote:

SpiceJet will also commence Mumbai-Leh from Summer '20 schedule.

unnayan

Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:51 pm

edealinfo wrote:

With Qantas, it is likely to be one-way but with Jetstar, it is likely to be a two-way codeshare agreement like that of Turkish Airlines (what do they mean by one-way , and one way in which direction? And, why is it only one-way -- systems issue?)

IndiGo's relationship with Qantas may be similar to that of Qatar Airways where it can sell 20 seats on each IndiGo flight connecting Doha with Delhi, Mumbai and Hyderabad.

I am assuming that this is Indigo's response to the Vistara -Singapore Airlines partnership to fly passengers to Australia

Where will they interline? SIN, BKK or HKG are the ones I can think of.

edealinfo

Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:36 pm

unnayan wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

I guess what's remaining on those routes after you factor the coronavirus scare. Haven't they cancelled all HKG flights? Indigo also flies to Vietnam. Too bad there are still no direct flights between India and Manila/Jakarta.

unnayan

Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:01 am

edealinfo wrote:
unnayan wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

I guess what's remaining on those routes after you factor the coronavirus scare. Haven't they cancelled all HKG flights? Indigo also flies to Vietnam. Too bad there are still no direct flights between India and Manila/Jakarta.

Manilla is terrible to connect

https://onemileatatime.com/connecting-m ... -airlines/

Jakarta can be an option...

CPS001

Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:19 am

edealinfo wrote:
Too bad there are still no direct flights between India and Manila/Jakarta.

Batik Air operates a daily Chennai to Jakarta via KL.

edealinfo

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:24 am

unnayan wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
unnayan wrote:

More that the connections for onward travel, I should have made it clear that I was also grumbling that there isn’t a single non stop flight between India and the capital of The Philippines and Indonesia. It is a great opportunity for a low cost carrier and Indigo is best positioned to start it possibly from Bangalore as Delhi may be stretching the range of their aircraft. Besides Indigo is big at BLR.

trinidadeG

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:09 am

India’s civil aviation strides will come at huge climate price, say experts

Within five to seven years, India is set to become the third busiest aviation market in the world, capable of sustaining at least 1.5 billion trips out of eight billion trips globally but this planned increase could potentially wreck the country’s commitment to the 2015 Paris Climate Accord.

Manish Raniga, Acting Chief Commercial Officer of South African Airways, said that with a single long-haul flight consuming a person’s annual carbon credit, and with India’s lack of a sustainability policy for air travel, airliner proliferation may not be the panacea that the government believes it will be. “Is there infrastructure to support an expansion of 300 airliners? In other countries, governments and airlines seek to reduce their carbon print by employing more efficient models of aircraft with quieter engines and less fuel burn, by utilising biofuels and other zero-footprint technologies and by gaining carbon credits such as planting trees. In the Indian context, these measures are totally missing,” Raniga said.

When Satyaki Raghunath, Chief Strategy and Development Officer, BIAL, questioned why so many Indian airlines were struggling and why every five years, an airline collapsed Amber Dubey, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Civil Aviation admitted that perhaps growth was not the answer. “It is better to have flatline growth and profitability rather than a 20% growth and frequent collapses,” he said.

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/india ... 07240.html

maint123

Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:18 am

Why does no one have a issue with akbar, etc and only with aurangzeb ? Might be a reason.
And why so many areas in India named after aurangzeb and not akbar ? Aurangzeb was not the nicest of mughal kings I believe , while akbar was more of a unifier.
Maybe people in power at that time preferred a aurangzeb type of person ?
Points to ponder.

Malayil

Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:49 pm

unnayan wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
unnayan wrote:

I can confirm that statement. Manila Airport was one of the worst places to spend 4 hours waiting for my connecting flight to Boracay.

hohd

Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:57 pm

edealinfo wrote:
pune wrote:
unnayan wrote:

True.. let us have open trade with Pakistan as well.. because why mix politics with Business?

Trade restrictions and sanctions are part of state policies of any powerful state... or else Iran would have had a fleet of 100 Boeing and 100 Airbus aircrafts by now....

It is still better than gifting 5 777-200LR at throw away price to a competitor on a platter by a so called sensible government.....

I didn't want to post here but since the question has been answered of Pakistan, I have another follow-up question -

Why hasn't India declared Pakistan as an enemy state ? I remember very well before 2014 , Mr. Modi used to say we should declare Pakistan an enemy state, but since 2014 it hasn't done a single thing in that regard. The most telling is this RTI which was asked to MEA -

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 960912.cms

Similarly, for Bangladesh, Rajnath Singhji was saying we would be fencing India- Bangladesh border in next 6 months so that illegal immigration stops from 2014 to 2018 but nothing after that. There are still media reports of bangladesh immigration, why hasn't it been fenced and have our BSF man it, no questions asked or answered. If somebody wants to take this up even in non-aviation forum I'll be happy for that, somebody just has to take it and share the link where the question is answered herein.

Unfortunately it is staying into politics, and politics is always complicated. Politicians love to say whatever they want to say to get votes regardless of the operational, financial, and legal consequences.

As for Fences and walls, Read the excellent article below from the New York Times which concludes with....
“Many Indians now joke that Mr. Trump finally got his wall — and India paid for it”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... i.amp.html

You seem to be constantly harping that India is not giving TK more seats and expand the bilaterals. First why should India do that, there is not much O & D between these two countries, with ME3 there is plenty and lots of Indians work there. There are no such ties with Turkey. And Turkey by commenting on India's internal affairs constantly is making the situation worse. Not only should India keep the TK bilaterals as is, but they force Indigo to scale back (or even cancel) its code share partnership. Indigo would be much better off by going with QR.

14 flights a week is MORE than enough for TK, the only change in bilateral recommended is change the bilaterals to number of seats not number of frequencies (restricted to DEL and BOM), so that some Indian carrier can benefit.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:09 pm

maint123 wrote:
Why does no one have a issue with akbar, etc and only with aurangzeb ? Might be a reason.
And why so many areas in India named after aurangzeb and not akbar ? Aurangzeb was not the nicest of mughal kings I believe , while akbar was more of a unifier.
Maybe people in power at that time preferred a aurangzeb type of person ?
Points to ponder.

I do not want to get too deep into politics on this AVIATION forum but would point out under Aurangzeb, the Mughal Empire surged in terms of territory and economy surpassing both Western Europe and China to become the world's largest economy and had some very early stages of industrialization happen before most of Europe. All those gains were lost after he was gone but the fact remains purely from a standpoint of global position and relevance, India's position was probably never higher than under Auranzgeb. I do not want to get into his religious policies, etc.

India now is just getting back to the sort of global relevance it had in the later Mughal period.

edealinfo

Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:44 pm

hohd wrote:

the only change in bilateral recommended is change the bilaterals to number of seats not number of frequencies (restricted to DEL and BOM), so that some Indian carrier can benefit.

As always, your recommendation makes no sense. Why would Turkey accept that recommendation ? You need both sides to agree before it becomes an agreement.

That’s why I had instead suggested that the seats by tied to the equivalent of 3 wide bodies, which means one new frequency for Turkish, and 4 more narrow body for Indigo (up from their existing two). You Need both parties to benefit for there to be a change in an existing agreement. This is not like the Trump and Dear Leader relationship in which It would be one sided in the US’s favor ( but Trump will through a few bones by calling the other side “tough negotiator” or what ever empty words would get the other side to think otherwise”. Talk is cheap after all.

747megatop

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:45 pm

sabby wrote:
NYC-BLR is a question of when not if. MS , GS, DB, CS, RBS, UBS, ANZ - pretty much all the big banks have large to huge presence in BLR. I know MS and GS pay J for all employees, possibly others too.

What are MS and GS?

Malayil

Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:29 pm

747megatop wrote:
sabby wrote:
NYC-BLR is a question of when not if. MS , GS, DB, CS, RBS, UBS, ANZ - pretty much all the big banks have large to huge presence in BLR. I know MS and GS pay J for all employees, possibly others too.

What are MS and GS?

Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs.

TEMPO

Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:29 pm

747megatop wrote:
sabby wrote:

What are MS and GS?

Lots of abbreviations are used here that I don’t know, but these I do. Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank, Credit Suisse, Royal Bank of Scotland, Union Bank of Switzerland, Australia New Zealand Bank. There are many missing, and not all of the ones above are US-headquartered, but we won’t complicate matters

edealinfo

Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:57 pm

Per the Business Standard newspaper, the Adani group, the Tata group, the Hinduja group, Indigo and a New York-based fund, Interups, are expected to submit EoIs for Air India

edealinfo

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:56 am

This Indian airline stock can zoom 59 percent, says ICICI Securities

I finally found the article. ICICI Securities should be ashamed. They had this opinion even after the coronavirus erupted.

https://www.cnbctv18.com/market/stocks/ ... 340811.htm

edealinfo

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:57 am

edealinfo wrote:
Per the Business Standard newspaper, the Adani group, the Tata group, the Hinduja group, Indigo and a New York-based fund, Interups, are expected to submit EoIs for Air India

https://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/adani ... 362711.htm

edealinfo

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:21 am

Coronavirus outbreak: Air India, Vistara, to join Singapore Airlines in reducing flights between India and Singapore

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... 286723.cms?

edealinfo

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:23 am

SpiceJet to suspend Mumbai-Udaipur service from Mar-2020

So Vistara now takes the whole baby

https://centreforaviation.com/news/spic ... 020-978254

edealinfo

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:31 am

Other news from CAPA:

SpiceJet to increase Ahmedabad-Udaipur frequency from Mar-2020

AirAsia India to commence Kolkata-Pune service in Mar-2020

IndiGo to commence Pune-Indore service in May-2020

IndiGo to suspend Hyderabad-Udaipur service from Mar-2020

edealinfo

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:48 am

hohd wrote:

You seem to be constantly harping that India is not giving TK more seats and expand the bilaterals. First why should India do that, .

If Turkish wanted to turn the tables on India, it could just substitute the 2 daily 777 flights (one each to BOM and DEL), with 2 wet leased 380 aircraft available dirt cheap in the market right now, and fill it will 615 seats (For instance, Emirates high density aircraft has 615 seats with 58 lie-flat seats in Business Class and 557 seats in Economy Class.) This would essentially be a 76% increase in seat capacity over the 349 seat 777 aircraft that they currently fly to India. It is within its rights under the current bilateral (which allows 2 daily flights without restrictions on seat capacity) and which India signed. Now, how does Indigo's largest aircraft compare to that? Game, set, match!

But, Turkey, to be nice, hasn't yet kicked India in the kahunas with that. So, be a bit grateful, for heaven's sake!

JOYA380B747

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:21 am

edealinfo wrote:

As always TOI taking dibs on publishing such stupid news. CCU, MAA are a joke w.r.t cleanliness. Seats that havent been cleaned since weeks, toilets smelling like garbage dumps, etc. The article is as big of a BS as AAI and TOI themselves.
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.

unnayan

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:28 am

edealinfo wrote:
hohd wrote:

You seem to be constantly harping that India is not giving TK more seats and expand the bilaterals. First why should India do that, .

If Turkish wanted to turn the tables on India, it could just substitute the 2 daily 777 flights (one each to BOM and DEL), with 2 wet leased 380 aircraft available dirt cheap in the market right now, and fill it will 615 seats (For instance, Emirates high density aircraft has 615 seats with 58 lie-flat seats in Business Class and 557 seats in Economy Class.) This would essentially be a 76% increase in seat capacity over the 349 seat 777 aircraft that they currently fly to India. It is within its rights under the current bilateral (which allows 2 daily flights without restrictions on seat capacity) and which India signed. Now, how does Indigo's largest aircraft compare to that? Game, set, match!

But, Turkey, to be nice, hasn't yet kicked India in the kahunas with that. So, be a bit grateful, for heaven's sake!

So deploying 2 A380 is kicking India in the Kahunas...right? By leasing them specifically for India.. for a 13 hour mission..which otherwise has no role in TK fleet...

Why do you think you are smarter than multi million dollar paid TK fleet planners? What parallel universe do you live in?

subramak1

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:29 am

edealinfo wrote:
hohd wrote:

Knowing Indian bureaucracy well, they would have to approve such a thing. They can always have BOM/DEL airports to refuse permission to operate A380. Turkey cant kick India anywhere . Malaysia lost 125000 tonnes of Palm oil export for moves similar to Turkey

KK

unnayan

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:40 am

edealinfo wrote:
hohd wrote:

BA, LH, KE, MH, TG are all saving India's kahuna by not deploying A380.. oh dear lord.. what would have happened imagine...

unnayan

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:43 am

edealinfo wrote:
hohd wrote:

the only change in bilateral recommended is change the bilaterals to number of seats not number of frequencies (restricted to DEL and BOM), so that some Indian carrier can benefit.

As always, your recommendation makes no sense. Why would Turkey accept that recommendation ? You need both sides to agree before it becomes an agreement.

That’s why I had instead suggested that the seats by tied to the equivalent of 3 wide bodies, which means one new frequency for Turkish, and 4 more narrow body for Indigo (up from their existing two). You Need both parties to benefit for there to be a change in an existing agreement. This is not like the Trump and Dear Leader relationship in which It would be one sided in the US’s favor ( but Trump will through a few bones by calling the other side “tough negotiator” or what ever empty words would get the other side to think otherwise”. Talk is cheap after all.

Deploying 2 widebody a day = Indo US bilateral relationship...

You had to bring politics in right.... You just can't keep shut without venting your ire for a day..can you?

This has to end here mate... We are not here to know what you think... next time you will be reported

edealinfo

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:18 am

unnayan wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
hohd wrote:

You had to bring politics in right.... You just can't keep shut without venting your ire for a day..can you?

This has to end here mate... We are not here to know what you think... next time you will be reported

Reported for what? Suggesting that Turkish replace 777 with A380?

This is not India where you can shut down dissenting opinion with threats.

SATexan

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:48 am

edealinfo wrote:
If Turkish wanted to turn the tables on India, it could just substitute the 2 daily 777 flights (one each to BOM and DEL), with 2 wet leased 380 aircraft available dirt cheap in the market right now, and fill it will 615 seats

First of all, Turkish Airlines does not operate any A380s. They don't have pilots rated for that type. AFAIK, no airline currently flies an A380 into Istanbul airport. Hence I am not even sure if the airport is itself capable of handling regular A380 operations. So, your idea of "turning the tables" will be a very expensive and misguided proposition for Turkish.

edealinfo wrote:

Turkey is the last country that India needs to be grateful for or worried about.

unnayan

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:05 am

edealinfo wrote:
unnayan wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

For your juvenile non aviation comments in case you don't realise

yashk

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:44 am

unnayan wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
unnayan wrote:

For your juvenile non aviation comments in case you don't realise

Could not agree more. It’s sad that the aviation forum has been hijacked by these pointless non aviation opinion posts by someone who is clearly not very knowledgeable.

avier

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:39 pm

Virgin Atlantic announces thrice weekly Delhi-Manchester aboard A332, from WS'20

Air France announces thrice weekly Chennai- Paris (CDG) aboard 789, from June 14 '20.

https://m.timesofindia.com/business/ind ... 302386.cms

edealinfo

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:58 pm

avier wrote:
Virgin Atlantic announces thrice weekly Delhi-Manchester aboard A332, from WS'20

Air France announces thrice weekly Chennai- Paris (CDG) aboard 789, from June 14 '20.

Good to see Sky Team getting back into action after AA’s foray into BLR. I anticipate they would further up the ante with KLM increasing BLR from 3X to 7x and starting 3X to HYD once they Transactionally close on acquiring Jet’s Netherlands asSets in bankruptcy court.

Separately, shouldn’t the minimum weekly frequency for commercial viability by 4x rather than 3X which would ensure that business people won’t have to wait more than one day to catch a flight on the same airline?

unnayan

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:36 pm

avier wrote:

Excellent news.. always felt Manchester is a big hole in the AI network.... surely there is demand with thousands of Indians living in Manchester who would not prefer to travel to LHR, hence taking EK / EY / QR uptill now....

VTORD

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:29 pm

hohd wrote:
there is not much O & D between these two countries, with ME3 there is plenty and lots of Indians work there. There are no such ties with Turkey.

Why this simple and straight forward fact is overlooked in this discussion is beyond me! Civil Aviation does not exist in a bubble - and a nation is within its rights to wield CA as an instrument of policy. Case in point: LY / Israel overflight restrictions.

UAE, KSA and USA are head & shoulders the top contributors to NRI remittances into India while TK is not even in the Top 15. Moreover as UAE, Saudi etc., focus on reducing their economic dependence on oil, India is one of the nations they are looking for as an investment. Turkey-India bilateral trade stands at a 6th of the comparable UAE-India metric. There is more incentive for India to engage with them even if you can argue that India has been playing hardball with UAE on the bilateral.

CaliguyNYC

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:47 pm

avier wrote:

Wow isn’t BOM-MAN a bigger route. Good for VS. Seems like they are all in with DEL. Hope they also start MAN-BOM

VTORD

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:07 am

avier wrote:

Good for VS! Just read in the Virgin routes thread that they have re-timed MAN-JFK and MAN-ATL for W20 and DEL is timed very well to connect with these two.
And looks like AF is plugging the 9W hole at MAA

vadodara

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:01 am

VTORD wrote:
hohd wrote:
there is not much O & D between these two countries, with ME3 there is plenty and lots of Indians work there. There are no such ties with Turkey.

Why this simple and straight forward fact is overlooked in this discussion is beyond me! Civil Aviation does not exist in a bubble - and a nation is within its rights to wield CA as an instrument of policy. Case in point: LY / Israel overflight restrictions.

UAE, KSA and USA are head & shoulders the top contributors to NRI remittances into India while TK is not even in the Top 15. Moreover as UAE, Saudi etc., focus on reducing their economic dependence on oil, India is one of the nations they are looking for as an investment. Turkey-India bilateral trade stands at a 6th of the comparable UAE-India metric. There is more incentive for India to engage with them even if you can argue that India has been playing hardball with UAE on the bilateral.

True but why look it from this narrow perspective.

India is a big exporter to Turkey. If better connectivity existed, more Indians would benefit in visiting C/E Europe from Istanbul.

edealinfo

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:40 am

VTORD wrote:
avier wrote:

1. Just read in the Virgin routes thread that they have re-timed MAN-JFK and MAN-ATL for W20 and DEL is timed very well to connect with these two.
2. And looks like AF is plugging the 9W hole at MAA

#1: Really smart of them.

#2: Easing into Jet's shoes when this was India's chance (whether Air India or Vistara). Basically, the foreign carriers have largely taken over Jet's seats capacity to Europe and the US.

Vistara had a chance with 4 ex-Hainan aircraft offered to Vistara as early as Sept 2019 (which Vistara passed on). Well, too bad because the foreign carriers now have just filled Jet's hole making it even more harder for Vistara to break in.

edealinfo

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:44 am

If you read the sentence below closely, you can see that AF plans to add 2 more frequencies to an unnamed India destination in winter. Which one? Secondly, does anyone know what the current weekly breakout is for BON, DEL and BLR?

"Air France-KLM will operate 38 weekly flights from India (BOM, DEL, and BLR) to its two hubs at Paris and Amsterdam. In the winter season the frequencies will increase to over 40 weekly flights, he said."

https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 164_1.html