edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:08 am

sand26391 wrote:
CLOSURE OF RWY 09L/27R at BLR airport from 26th MARCH 2020 to 4th NOVEMBER 2020.
Due to runway rehabilitation works & upgrading the RWY from CAT I to CAT III.
Only RWY 09R/27L (New Southern Runway) shall be available for operations during above-mentioned period.


Why does it take so long? DXB resurfaced one of its runway in 30 days.
 
CaliguyNYC
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:10 am

unnayan wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
Vistara has fresh long shot chance at 3 slot pairs at LHR

https://simpleflying.com/norwegian-give ... -heathrow/


I think this is the mystery AI 3 weekly slot for BOM-LHR recently announced!!! 3 weekly for a standalone airline will be disaster for Vistara...


If so AI should get them I mean they are flying the route already
 
sand26391
Posts: 596
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:08 am

edealinfo wrote:
sand26391 wrote:
CLOSURE OF RWY 09L/27R at BLR airport from 26th MARCH 2020 to 4th NOVEMBER 2020.
Due to runway rehabilitation works & upgrading the RWY from CAT I to CAT III.
Only RWY 09R/27L (New Southern Runway) shall be available for operations during above-mentioned period.


Why does it take so long? DXB resurfaced one of its runway in 30 days.


They arent just resurfacing the RWY.. they are upgrading the whole RWY from CAT I to CAT III plus installing new AGL, upgrading the TWY's among a few....
 
airboss787
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:39 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:09 am

blrBird wrote:
sand26391 wrote:
CLOSURE OF RWY 09L/27R at BLR airport from 26th MARCH 2020 to 4th NOVEMBER 2020.
Due to runway rehabilitation works & upgrading the RWY from CAT I to CAT III.
Only RWY 09R/27L (New Southern Runway) shall be available for operations during above-mentioned period.


Oh 7+ months out of service!!! Courtesy of AB & gang thirftful short sightedness in designing the original phase with lack of oversight from Indian side?


Pardon my ignorance but who is AB and Gang? I couldn’t think of an AB on my own.
Star Alliance Gold
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:19 pm

unnayan wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
Vistara has fresh long shot chance at 3 slot pairs at LHR

https://simpleflying.com/norwegian-give ... -heathrow/


I think this is the mystery AI 3 weekly slot for BOM-LHR recently announced!!! 3 weekly for a standalone airline will be disaster for Vistara...

Why would 3X weekly be a disaster. KLM operates the same frequency between AMS and BLR
 
unnayan
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:57 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:13 pm

edealinfo wrote:
unnayan wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
Vistara has fresh long shot chance at 3 slot pairs at LHR

https://simpleflying.com/norwegian-give ... -heathrow/


I think this is the mystery AI 3 weekly slot for BOM-LHR recently announced!!! 3 weekly for a standalone airline will be disaster for Vistara...

Why would 3X weekly be a disaster. KLM operates the same frequency between AMS and BLR


The same reason why Norwegian chose to let these slots go even though it has a formidable presence at LGW.. the associated costs along with lack of any meaningful connections would be just too much for anyone... same would be Vistara... the costs are not the same at BLR when compared to LHR plus I am sure KLM would share AF resources at BLR too
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:13 pm

 
hohd
Posts: 809
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 1:03 am

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:27 pm

unnayan wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
Vistara has fresh long shot chance at 3 slot pairs at LHR

https://simpleflying.com/norwegian-give ... -heathrow/


I think this is the mystery AI 3 weekly slot for BOM-LHR recently announced!!! 3 weekly for a standalone airline will be disaster for Vistara...


AI already is operating 3 weekly flights, so this must be a new slot pair. May be AI can bid/request it to get the slots to make it 6 times weekly or introduce a new flight (may be from HYD or MAA or even CCU). LHR airport might grant AI if it is from CCU, an airport which has no non stop service to London area now.
 
User avatar
CollegeAviator
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:55 am

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:45 pm

AirIndia wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
AirIndia wrote:

Thanks for the encouraging answer, will keep that in mind.


Hats off to you for accepting the advice with a learning perspective. Your positive attitude will take you far in life.


Thanks. Learning is a daily process. Forums like these are a common learning resource for everyone.
As a long time member of this forum, its sad to see how a dismissive attitude has crept among fellow geeks who i remember as enthusiastic young adults 10-15 years back.

Really sad indeed. Curiosity is always shot down impressively by some nowadays.
 
avier
Posts: 956
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:25 pm

To meet the high demand of spare engines by IndiGo & GoAir for their A320neo fleet, as per DGCA deadlines, has forced engine maker P&W to consider setting up an MRO unit in India, located at Mumbai.
This would be in partnership with AI engineering.
Apparently, shipping so many engines has become a pricey affair for P&W, that too in bulk. So it seems wise to setup a unit here in India for one of their largest customers.
What's interesting is the choice of city for this new venture, being BOM, rather than the usual "newer" BLR/HYD or the larger DEL (main hub for 6E).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wap.busine ... 879_1.html

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EP-kQLoVUAI ... name=large
 
SVJ77W
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:38 am

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:21 pm

GoAir starts bookings for Mumbai - Doha

GoAir has started bookings between Mumbai and Doha effective 19th March 2020.

G8 7 BOM 1750 hrs - 1930 hrs DOH
G8 8 DOH 2030 hrs - 0240 hrs BOM


Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk
 
blrBird
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:39 am

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:24 pm

airboss787 wrote:
blrBird wrote:
sand26391 wrote:
CLOSURE OF RWY 09L/27R at BLR airport from 26th MARCH 2020 to 4th NOVEMBER 2020.
Due to runway rehabilitation works & upgrading the RWY from CAT I to CAT III.
Only RWY 09R/27L (New Southern Runway) shall be available for operations during above-mentioned period.


Oh 7+ months out of service!!! Courtesy of AB & gang thirftful short sightedness in designing the original phase with lack of oversight from Indian side?


Pardon my ignorance but who is AB and Gang? I couldn’t think of an AB on my own.


The first set off folks associated with the BIAL airport company at incpetion & during its 1st phase design/construction.
from star dust....
 
VTORD
Posts: 635
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:35 pm

avier wrote:
What's interesting is the choice of city for this new venture, being BOM, rather than the usual "newer" BLR/HYD or the larger DEL (main hub for 6E).


I think what could be a factor here is that Mumbai is also a seaport? If you look at the map of their MRO centers, there's nothing between Eastern Europe and East Asia. So they might be hoping to leverage some proximity to African and ME customers as well in the long run. That could allow them to optimize capacity at the existing locations by geographically splitting the markets serviced. Also from all of AI Engineering locations, (based on 6E's network) cycling a/c out of BOM might have been the optimum bang for the buck. Just my :twocents:

If they have indeed dedicated 2 lines for Indian customers in Gerogia, I wonder how that is affecting the Mobile plant.
 
vadodara
Posts: 1094
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:06 pm

avier wrote:
To meet the high demand of spare engines by IndiGo & GoAir for their A320neo fleet, as per DGCA deadlines, has forced engine maker P&W to consider setting up an MRO unit in India, located at Mumbai.
This would be in partnership with AI engineering.
Apparently, shipping so many engines has become a pricey affair for P&W, that too in bulk. So it seems wise to setup a unit here in India for one of their largest customers.
What's interesting is the choice of city for this new venture, being BOM, rather than the usual "newer" BLR/HYD or the larger DEL (main hub for 6E).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wap.busine ... 879_1.html

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EP-kQLoVUAI ... name=large


Existing ‘spare’ capacity!
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:57 pm

 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:01 am

Vistara opens new air station - dheradhun
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livemi ... 74533.html
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 9906
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:15 am

Cathay Pacific changes for February and March

Image

https://twitter.com/winglets747/status/ ... 27328?s=20
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 9906
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:44 am

Vistara 789 VT-TSD on the flightline at PAE (7 Feb)

Image

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/12 ... 14497?s=20
Forum Moderator
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:58 pm

qf789 wrote:
Cathay Pacific changes for February and March

Image

https://twitter.com/winglets747/status/ ... 27328?s=20


Thanks. They are reducing frequency to all stations in India.

Indians are probably terrified of flying through Hong Kong because of the caronavirus risk. Already, Norweigian and Royal Caribbean cruise lines have barred Chinese, Hong Hong, and Macau citizens from boarding.
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:01 pm

qf789 wrote:
Vistara 789 VT-TSD on the flightline at PAE (7 Feb)

Image

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/12 ... 14497?s=20


What is the implication of this. Is it ready for delivery? Was this specific aircraft originally scheduled to go to Hainan, or was it built, right from the start for Vistara. I also noticed that it has a "VT-TSD" code. "VT" is the prefix for India. Does this mean registration was transferred to Vistara or does this happen during the production phase itself?
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:49 pm

https://www.businesstoday.in/sectors/av ... 95619.html

Centre owes Rs 822 cr to Air India for VVIP charter flights that ferry PM, President, V-P
 
VTCIE
Posts: 385
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:10 am

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:13 pm

edealinfo wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Vistara 789 VT-TSD on the flightline at PAE (7 Feb)

Image

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/12 ... 14497?s=20


What is the implication of this. Is it ready for delivery? Was this specific aircraft originally scheduled to go to Hainan, or was it built, right from the start for Vistara. I also noticed that it has a "VT-TSD" code. "VT" is the prefix for India. Does this mean registration was transferred to Vistara or does this happen during the production phase itself?

It is noteworthy that the first 787 is registered VT-TSD. Perhaps VT-TSA through TSC are earlier frames that are still on the flight assembly line or are coming from another customer.
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:30 pm

VTCIE wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Vistara 789 VT-TSD on the flightline at PAE (7 Feb)

Image

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/12 ... 14497?s=20


What is the implication of this. Is it ready for delivery? Was this specific aircraft originally scheduled to go to Hainan, or was it built, right from the start for Vistara. I also noticed that it has a "VT-TSD" code. "VT" is the prefix for India. Does this mean registration was transferred to Vistara or does this happen during the production phase itself?

It is noteworthy that the first 787 is registered VT-TSD. Perhaps VT-TSA through TSC are earlier frames that are still on the flight assembly line or are coming from another customer.


Does anything is this link (787 production thread) provide more information? [I have sorted by airline and Vistara shows 8 aircraft in total........of which 4 are in "production-testing", 1 in "pre-flight prep" and 3 listed as "yet to be assembled". I am speculating that possibly 1 of the 4 in "production-testing", is the one to be delivered this month.

Note that previously all the 4 "production-testing" aircraft (serial # 62733, 62729, 62730, and 62734) were speculated to be going to Biman, which we now know isn't going to be the case. So, these 4 must be originally meant for Hainan

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... dit#gid=19
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:38 pm

Here is more information on the 4 Vistara 787 aircraft that are in production-testing:
https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Vis ... d-b787.htm

Per the Google docs link in the prior post, 2 of the 4 referenced aircraft made their first testing flight in July 2019, one in August 2019, and another in September 2019. So, these 4 have been sitting on the ground at Boeing's Everette base for ages! These was speculation that Vistara couldn't cough up the money to pay for it which could have been the case because they were only originally scheduled to take their first 787 aircraft in Feb 2020 and may not have factored the funding for early delivery.
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:48 pm

East expansion on hold, airline heads to Gulf

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... 016681.cms?
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:49 pm

Air India load on SE Asian cities drops due to Coronavirus
https://www.newkerala.com/news/2020/20309.htm
 
User avatar
trinidadeG
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:43 am

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:51 pm

qf789 wrote:
Vistara 789 VT-TSD on the flightline at PAE (7 Feb)

Image

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/12 ... 14497?s=20


I suspect this is LN 975 - The first of the frames to be built for Vistara. Interesting choice of rego there.....in the tradition of VT-ATV :)
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:26 pm

trinidadeG wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Vistara 789 VT-TSD on the flightline at PAE (7 Feb)

Image

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/12 ... 14497?s=20


I suspect this is LN 975 - The first of the frames to be built for Vistara. Interesting choice of rego there.....in the tradition of VT-ATV :)


Wow, I think you are correct! And, it makes a lot of sense. LN 975 is not part of the lot of 4 meant for Hainan. And, LN 975 is "factory fresh" with a load date of Jan 2 and roll out on Jan 23. While means there is a good chance if they follow the usual steps to delivery, there is a good chance it could be delivered in Feb.

But, what bugs me is that they haven't got started on the 2nd one that is scheduled for delivery in March.
 
airboss787
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:39 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:32 pm

edealinfo wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Vistara 789 VT-TSD on the flightline at PAE (7 Feb)

Image

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/12 ... 14497?s=20


What is the implication of this. Is it ready for delivery? Was this specific aircraft originally scheduled to go to Hainan, or was it built, right from the start for Vistara. I also noticed that it has a "VT-TSD" code. "VT" is the prefix for India. Does this mean registration was transferred to Vistara or does this happen during the production phase itself?


It probably means neither. It probably just means that the poster of the tweet knows the series they are using. It should not show the code until it is time for delivery so it is probably on paper somewhere or even under the test registration.
Star Alliance Gold
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:18 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indiat ... 2020-02-08

Caronavirus jitters even travelers to India. Tourism negative impact estimated at 500 million dollars
 
User avatar
acavpics
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:04 am

Does anyone here know if SpiceJet is ending CCJ - BLR nonstop next month? On google flights, I am not able to see any SG flights on this route after 28 MAR 2020.
 
sand26391
Posts: 596
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:50 am

^^ Interestingly from 29th March the airline is starting daily BLR-JLR(Jabalpur sector) with the Q400 aircraft.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 9906
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:43 am

Ethiopian to start 3 weekly ADD-MAA flights with 788 from 1 April

https://livefromalounge.boardingarea.co ... dis-ababa/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 9906
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:46 am

edealinfo wrote:
trinidadeG wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Vistara 789 VT-TSD on the flightline at PAE (7 Feb)

Image

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/12 ... 14497?s=20


I suspect this is LN 975 - The first of the frames to be built for Vistara. Interesting choice of rego there.....in the tradition of VT-ATV :)


Wow, I think you are correct! And, it makes a lot of sense. LN 975 is not part of the lot of 4 meant for Hainan. And, LN 975 is "factory fresh" with a load date of Jan 2 and roll out on Jan 23. While means there is a good chance if they follow the usual steps to delivery, there is a good chance it could be delivered in Feb.

But, what bugs me is that they haven't got started on the 2nd one that is scheduled for delivery in March.


The spreadsheet has not been updated for a couple of weeks, it should be the next one to enter final assembly, should roll out by the end of the month so end of March is likely when it will be delivered
Forum Moderator
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:59 pm

qf789 wrote:

The spreadsheet has not been updated for a couple of weeks, it should be the next one to enter final assembly, should roll out by the end of the month so end of March is likely when it will be delivered


Thanks for the update. From the picture you shared, it looks pretty much "assembled" to me. How much more of assembly is required?

For what I read, Vistara needs to start service to Haneda, Japan by March 29 or lose the Haneda slots (that were offered to India, as a country, by Japan.) How is it going to do that with such a tight delivery schedule and the possible need to train cabin crew? Or, can such staff training be done on the ground, instead of having the airplane operate domestic or other training flights for say, a month, before potential flights to Haneda? How does Vistara get out of this one with the late delivery ?(They were supposed to get the first 787 in Feb 2020.
 
142857
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:39 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:04 pm

avier wrote:
To meet the high demand of spare engines by IndiGo & GoAir for their A320neo fleet, as per DGCA deadlines, has forced engine maker P&W to consider setting up an MRO unit in India, located at Mumbai.
This would be in partnership with AI engineering.
Apparently, shipping so many engines has become a pricey affair for P&W, that too in bulk. So it seems wise to setup a unit here in India for one of their largest customers.
What's interesting is the choice of city for this new venture, being BOM, rather than the usual "newer" BLR/HYD or the larger DEL (main hub for 6E).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wap.busine ... 879_1.html

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EP-kQLoVUAI ... name=large




I think that this may just be a 'news item' to placate the DGCA and Govt of India, by promising big investment, as a quid pro quo for getting multiple extensions for Engine replacement deadlines.

Even if it is more than a news item, the way Air India works, it will be atleast a year till final permissions are in place.

Hopefully, Indigo will replace all problemmatic engines by May 2020, and the primary need for the project will disappear


.
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:18 am

Gatwick to dangle the carrot for INdian carriers to choose it over Heathrow

Separately, it is interesting to know that Gatwick’s cost to carriers is 50 percent of that of Heathrow

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.economic ... 053926.cms
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:22 am

Kerala not to check if crew are drunk because it considers Coronavirus a greater threat

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livemi ... 79119.html
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 9906
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:04 am

edealinfo wrote:
qf789 wrote:

The spreadsheet has not been updated for a couple of weeks, it should be the next one to enter final assembly, should roll out by the end of the month so end of March is likely when it will be delivered


Thanks for the update. From the picture you shared, it looks pretty much "assembled" to me. How much more of assembly is required?

For what I read, Vistara needs to start service to Haneda, Japan by March 29 or lose the Haneda slots (that were offered to India, as a country, by Japan.) How is it going to do that with such a tight delivery schedule and the possible need to train cabin crew? Or, can such staff training be done on the ground, instead of having the airplane operate domestic or other training flights for say, a month, before potential flights to Haneda? How does Vistara get out of this one with the late delivery ?(They were supposed to get the first 787 in Feb 2020.


The picture posted is LN975. The second one I was referring to is LN993, if my calculation is correct it should be loaded for final assembly today and should roll out around the 26th of February, Final assembly at PAE normally takes about 16 days. LN975 should have its first flight this week
Forum Moderator
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:08 pm

qf789 wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
qf789 wrote:

The spreadsheet has not been updated for a couple of weeks, it should be the next one to enter final assembly, should roll out by the end of the month so end of March is likely when it will be delivered


Thanks for the update. From the picture you shared, it looks pretty much "assembled" to me. How much more of assembly is required?

For what I read, Vistara needs to start service to Haneda, Japan by March 29 or lose the Haneda slots (that were offered to India, as a country, by Japan.) How is it going to do that with such a tight delivery schedule and the possible need to train cabin crew? Or, can such staff training be done on the ground, instead of having the airplane operate domestic or other training flights for say, a month, before potential flights to Haneda? How does Vistara get out of this one with the late delivery ?(They were supposed to get the first 787 in Feb 2020.


The picture posted is LN975. The second one I was referring to is LN993, if my calculation is correct it should be loaded for final assembly today and should roll out around the 26th of February, Final assembly at PAE normally takes about 16 days. LN975 should have its first flight this week

So, everything seems on track, one delivery in Feb (LN 975) and one in March (LN 993), both of which are non ex Hainan aircraft. separately, we know Vistara is furiously or desperately trying to acquire Heathrow slots and has presumably conditioned taking the ex Hainan aircraft on getting even more Heathrow slots. Meanwhile time for starting the Haneda slot is fast expiring. It would be utter foolishness to let that go by.

Gatwick is smart in making the case that even if Vistara buys one pair of Heathrow slots , they would be stuck at that level for years, whereas if they start Gatwick, they can get additional slots to expand in future.

Vistara should pressure it’s partner, British Airways to lease a slot or else walk out and join delta/KLM/Air France/ virgin if that group is willing to lease Vistara a slot. In my opinion, that’s a move that group should initiate since Vistara is desperate and a slot should Make a world of difference at this delicate stage.
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:31 pm

Can someone estimate the value of a daytime Haneda slot? Some say it is even more valuable than a Heathrow slot (but it can’t be traded for $$$ like that at Heathrow). The most expensive Heathrow slot is like $75 million but I am guessing that an average daytime slot would be about $30 to $40 million, correct? I am trying to figure how much Vistara would be leaving on the table if it let’s go of the Haneda slot which has been handed down to it on a platter.
 
CaliguyNYC
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:12 pm

I think Vistara should partner with BA or VS and start Gatwick and flying a few key LGW-US routes for either VS or BA. For instance, Vistara could takeover VS' JFK-LGW. LGW is great for O&D but the lack of feed could really hurt an Indian airline. Jet definitely got a lot of transfer pax from VS in London. Was actually quite impressive how much traffic VS handed off (and KL at AMS and AF at CDG). On Haneda, I wonder if Japan would give an extension because of Corona Virus?
 
VTORD
Posts: 635
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:31 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
I think Vistara should partner with BA or VS and start Gatwick and flying a few key LGW-US routes for either VS or BA. For instance, Vistara could takeover VS' JFK-LGW. LGW is great for O&D but the lack of feed could really hurt an Indian airline. Jet definitely got a lot of transfer pax from VS in London. Was actually quite impressive how much traffic VS handed off (and KL at AMS and AF at CDG). On Haneda, I wonder if Japan would give an extension because of Corona Virus?


Only JFK makes sense for a LGW-NA fifth freedom flight. The others being TPA, MCO and LAS, you are mostly looking at leisure traffic. Of course I admit that I don't know what kind of a/c config is being deployed on these routes. And that would be contingent on the fact that they can actually put in place a code share/revenue sharing partnership with either BA or VS pretty soon here. The idea being propagated on this thread multiple times is (for whatever reason) that BA and UK are "partners". All they have so far is a code share from BA to UK ex-DEL for domestic within India. That is the extent of the partnership. OTH, UK actually has a closer relationship with UA in light of the recent accruals & redemption agreement (A friend just flew PNQ-DEL-SFO on UK-UA last week).

Also IF UK does go this route (DEL-LGW-XXX), then with only 2 x 789s on their current timeline, HND or NRT isn't happening anytime soon.
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:22 am

VTORD wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
I think Vistara should partner with BA or VS and start Gatwick and flying a few key LGW-US routes for either VS or BA. For instance, Vistara could takeover VS' JFK-LGW. LGW is great for O&D but the lack of feed could really hurt an Indian airline. Jet definitely got a lot of transfer pax from VS in London. Was actually quite impressive how much traffic VS handed off (and KL at AMS and AF at CDG). On Haneda, I wonder if Japan would give an extension because of Corona Virus?


Only JFK makes sense for a LGW-NA fifth freedom flight. The others being TPA, MCO and LAS, you are mostly looking at leisure traffic. Of course I admit that I don't know what kind of a/c config is being deployed on these routes. And that would be contingent on the fact that they can actually put in place a code share/revenue sharing partnership with either BA or VS pretty soon here. The idea being propagated on this thread multiple times is (for whatever reason) that BA and UK are "partners". All they have so far is a code share from BA to UK ex-DEL for domestic within India. That is the extent of the partnership. OTH, UK actually has a closer relationship with UA in light of the recent accruals & redemption agreement (A friend just flew PNQ-DEL-SFO on UK-UA last week).

Also IF UK does go this route (DEL-LGW-XXX), then with only 2 x 789s on their current timeline, HND or NRT isn't happening anytime soon.


As far as we know, US isn’t in their immediate plan.
They have only indicated Tokyo and london. Presumably if they have 2 787, they can do both daily and should any aircraft go tech, they can transfer passengers to JAL or BA.

Whats puzzling is that they have gone completely silent on Tokyo, so I wouldn’t rule out a service from London to New York. This, however, wouldn’t make perfect sense since Air India, Delta, and United have all decided that non stops (India to US) are a better option for them.

Damn, why does Vistara keep up waiting?

By the way, the tone and language used by the Gatwick Director suggests that Vistara may already have a much deeper and immediate need to go to Heathrow . I am guessing that some carriers have already offered their slots to Vistara who is probably haggling about the price it is willing to pay.
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:53 am

https://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/gmr-a ... 263711.htm

GMR Airports wins bid to build and operate airport in Greece
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:57 am

https://www.cnbctv18.com/views/indian-a ... 260941.htm

Indian aviation is an LCC market. The conventional FSC model will not work

In the early days of operations, Vistara revealed that its research pointed that food was one of the decisive factors for air travellers in India.

Indians have always been loyal to one thing – low fares and discounts!
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:00 am

Passengers shun Chinese carriers, Air India to benefit from traffic curbs

https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 220_1.html

    Emirates is the largest airline on India-US routes followed by Air India and Qatar Airways
    On Delhi-US route Air India, United and Emirates are the largest airlines
    Four Chinese airlines operate to Delhi. Now the airlines have suspended or cut flights
    Around 8 per cent of Delhi-US traffic travels via Hong Kong or China. Los Angeles and San Francisco are main destinations in the US
    Chinese carriers popular among Punjab residents traveling to Canada

Around 5.7 per cent of the India-US traffic and 8 per cent of the Delhi-US traffic travelled one stop via China and Hong Kong during the period. Hong Kong and China are popular transit hubs for Canada-bound passengers from Punjab because of low fares.The suspension and curtailment of flights between India and China will help AI and other airlines increase their seat occupancy and market share, say travel agents and aviation experts. AI operates 36 flights per week to the US and Canada and earns around 12 per cent of its revenue from North American routes.
 
edealinfo
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:50 pm

Indigo to phase out all second hand A320 by dec 2020

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... 0s-by-ye22
 
vadodara
Posts: 1094
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:36 pm

VTORD wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
I think Vistara should partner with BA or VS and start Gatwick and flying a few key LGW-US routes for either VS or BA. For instance, Vistara could takeover VS' JFK-LGW. LGW is great for O&D but the lack of feed could really hurt an Indian airline. Jet definitely got a lot of transfer pax from VS in London. Was actually quite impressive how much traffic VS handed off (and KL at AMS and AF at CDG). On Haneda, I wonder if Japan would give an extension because of Corona Virus?


Only JFK makes sense for a LGW-NA fifth freedom flight. The others being TPA, MCO and LAS, you are mostly looking at leisure traffic. Of course I admit that I don't know what kind of a/c config is being deployed on these routes. And that would be contingent on the fact that they can actually put in place a code share/revenue sharing partnership with either BA or VS pretty soon here. The idea being propagated on this thread multiple times is (for whatever reason) that BA and UK are "partners". All they have so far is a code share from BA to UK ex-DEL for domestic within India. That is the extent of the partnership. OTH, UK actually has a closer relationship with UA in light of the recent accruals & redemption agreement (A friend just flew PNQ-DEL-SFO on UK-UA last week).

Also IF UK does go this route (DEL-LGW-XXX), then with only 2 x 789s on their current timeline, HND or NRT isn't happening anytime soon.


BA has no benefit in partnering with any Indian airline except to get some connections out of DEL.

If UK was looking for a US partner, DL would make sense. DL already has this relationship with several airlines.
 
atal17
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:56 am

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:13 pm

vadodara wrote:
VTORD wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
I think Vistara should partner with BA or VS and start Gatwick and flying a few key LGW-US routes for either VS or BA. For instance, Vistara could takeover VS' JFK-LGW. LGW is great for O&D but the lack of feed could really hurt an Indian airline. Jet definitely got a lot of transfer pax from VS in London. Was actually quite impressive how much traffic VS handed off (and KL at AMS and AF at CDG). On Haneda, I wonder if Japan would give an extension because of Corona Virus?


Only JFK makes sense for a LGW-NA fifth freedom flight. The others being TPA, MCO and LAS, you are mostly looking at leisure traffic. Of course I admit that I don't know what kind of a/c config is being deployed on these routes. And that would be contingent on the fact that they can actually put in place a code share/revenue sharing partnership with either BA or VS pretty soon here. The idea being propagated on this thread multiple times is (for whatever reason) that BA and UK are "partners". All they have so far is a code share from BA to UK ex-DEL for domestic within India. That is the extent of the partnership. OTH, UK actually has a closer relationship with UA in light of the recent accruals & redemption agreement (A friend just flew PNQ-DEL-SFO on UK-UA last week).

Also IF UK does go this route (DEL-LGW-XXX), then with only 2 x 789s on their current timeline, HND or NRT isn't happening anytime soon.


BA has no benefit in partnering with any Indian airline except to get some connections out of DEL.

If UK was looking for a US partner, DL would make sense. DL already has this relationship with several airlines.


They have a US partner already in United - why would they go to Delta?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos