Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aytdxb
Topic Author

KLM serving AMS-DXB with 3 different ac types?

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:34 am

KL428 from DXB to AMS is served by a different aircraft every day. I am not sure if this was discussed anywhere else in the forum before but I find it quite odd.

Depending on the day of the week it is either 787-10, 777-200er or 77W.

Isn't this very difficult and confusing to manage? It so far seems Tuesdays are definitely with an 787-10

I actually use KLM a lot from dxb and always very happy but so far I only had the 777-200.

I have a flight coming with them beginning of march and just realized while booking a seat that the flight is on 787-10, and then I checked all the flight statuses past weeks, they have a mix use of these 3 aircraft.

Can anyone advise if they are planing to keep it this way, or will they stick to a certain type on this specific flight?

FB330

Re: KLM serving AMS-DXB with 3 different ac types?

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:44 am

I don't know the specifics of the schedule for DXB, but multiple types is not unusual.

Remember 787/777 have the same cockpit crew and cabin crew are rated on multiple types, so it really isn't much of a headache (I guess).

If you look at the Mumbai run a couple of weeks ago, the route had 772/77W/789/781 all within the sapce of a few days....

factsonly

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:45 am

Some airlines are great in adjusting capacity to daily fluctuations in passenger/freight demand. KLM is one of these.
Aircraft families (B737-700/-800/-900 or B787-8/-9/-10 and Airbus A319/320/321) permit great flexibility in the allocation of capacity, while crewing remains relatively simple.
The newer B787 is designed to be flown by B777 crews, so at KLM there is one pool of B787-9/-10/B777-200/-300 crews.

It may look confusing, but operationally it is relatively simple with appropriate planning.

oldannyboy

Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:49 am

Why difficult to manage? I don't see the issue... they probably 1) use what is available 2) adjust capacity. Bear in mind DXB for them is probably mostly point to point, and demand fluctuates....EK are king on the DXB runs! BA and LH are using a variety of equipment to adjust capacity for the same reason....
From a pax perspective going from a 787/10 to a 772/77W is no issue, and crews are rated across the board.
Plus KL are famous for adjusting capacity through the week...in the past you could fly a variety of aircraft on the same runs...MD-11/747-400/747M/A330/763... happened to me on a number of occasions....

sixfootscream

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:23 am

oldannyboy wrote:
Bear in mind DXB for them is probably mostly point to point, and demand fluctuates....EK are king on the DXB runs! BA and LH are using a variety of equipment to adjust capacity for the same reason....

That is incorrect. LH/AF/KL/BA/LX/TK also take a good chunk of transfer passengers. Either to North America or Europe. I seen some interesting routings. Like DXB-ADD-MNL or DXB-HKG-YVR.
Also these carriers offer good fares out of DXB.
While EK is the king of DXB without a doubt. But airline give them a run for their money as well.

oldannyboy

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:01 am

sixfootscream wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
Bear in mind DXB for them is probably mostly point to point, and demand fluctuates....EK are king on the DXB runs! BA and LH are using a variety of equipment to adjust capacity for the same reason....

That is incorrect. LH/AF/KL/BA/LX/TK also take a good chunk of transfer passengers. Either to North America or Europe. I seen some interesting routings. Like DXB-ADD-MNL or DXB-HKG-YVR.
While EK is the king of DXB without a doubt. But airline give them a run for their money as well.

Sure, not saying otherwise, but ex-LHR just compare the lift on EK metal, the staggering amount of daily frequencies ALL of which are on the A380 BTW, with the exclusion of STN, compared to BA's frequencies.... on a variety of aircrafts, including the 788.... No comparison really!

747fly

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:35 am

oldannyboy wrote:
sixfootscream wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Sure, not saying otherwise, but ex-LHR just compare the lift on EK metal, the staggering amount of daily frequencies ALL of which are on the A380 BTW, with the exclusion of STN, compared to BA's frequencies.... on a variety of aircrafts, including the 788.... No comparison really!

BA's current schedule is 3 per day, on a 777-200, A350 and 86J 747 - not bad considering they’re not the major player on the route!

DTWLAX

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:49 am

FB330 wrote:

If you look at the Mumbai run a couple of weeks ago, the route had 772/77W/789/781 all within the sapce of a few days....

That is correct. Mumbai has also been getting a mix of 777, 789 and 78X (781). And the 781 that operates AMS-BOM is the incoming DXB-AMS plane sometimes. Mumbai is switching to the A333 in Spring/Summer 2020.

On a side note: why does the KLM 781 have fewer Comfort+ seats than the 789 or other models? It is strange that there are only 2 rows of Comfort+ seats on the sides of the plane while the middle section has 5 rows.

aytdxb
Topic Author

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:01 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
From a pax perspective going from a 787/10 to a 772/77W is no issue.

From a business class passenger perspective, there is, if you ask me. I do prefer the J lay out on 787. Plus it is much much quieter plane to fly then a 777.

I must add the pax in dubai is quite advanced when it comes to ac type, compared to other destinations. Corporate travelers especially. I have 4 colleagues who preferred EK 380 to hamburg and then a train ride on the same route (since no direct flights to Berlin from here )
Now that I told them KLM will have 787 on that day, they regret.

yes EK is the king in dxb , but there is a massive gap after Qatar and likes of LH/BA/TK/KLM has a huge potential here when EK prices sky rocket.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos