Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

oschkosch

Re: Qatar Airways reports $1.92 billion loss

Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:07 pm

lightsaber wrote:
If HYD can become a hub (they dropped the excessive fuel taxes), then there will be more competition.

I disagree. Nobody in their right minds wants to connect in India. HYD as a hub towards the Gulf, yes and no. Already flights from all over India to the ME3 area (pre Covid).
:stirthepot: :airplane: "This airplane is designed by clowns, who in turn are supervised by monkeys" :airplane: :stirthepot:

iadadd

Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:41 pm

Mboyle1988 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Boiler905 wrote:
It looks like QR's fiscal year ends 31MAR20, so COVID impact was minimal compared to what came after March. Additionally, their financial results say the operating loss was only -2.2%, so looks like non-operational items drove the loss. "General and Administrative Expenses" & "Net loss on fair valuation of equity securities" according to the financial statement (such as the IG investment failure, bad options contracts, etc).

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/press-r ... s-releases

Nice find. I admit I assumed a different timeline.

April-September have been brutal.

I remain of the opinion IST and ADD expansion is eating into ME3 opportunities.

Lightsaber

I’m not sure ADD will be a substantial factor. I don’t believe they can make it to the US nonstop. The product is also pretty lousy and safety is lacking. Turkish is a bigger competitor but political stability in Turkey is lacking.

To be fair, ET's inability to fly nonstop to US hasn't really impacted them as they are still able to easily feed passengers from all over Africa via ADD to US. The nonstop would be more cost-effective and a little shorter, but the status quo isn't killing them

Also, "safety is lacking" is an exaggerated statement. ET302 crash is clearly Boeing's fault . The world took issues with the 737MAX seriously after the ET crash given the airlines good safety record.

jetwet1

Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:05 pm

lightsaber wrote:

For the ME3, including QR, I worry more about IST increasing connections. While India is an interesting market, the mid-East, North Africa, SE Asia, Europe, Australia, and China are also big markets.

While Israel is the new interesting growth market, it is but one or two airports onto the ME3 routemap. I would like to see more India to Israel flights bypassing the hubs.

Until business travel returns, QR is going to lack revenue.

Lightsaber

TK should be more worried about losing business travelers right now, everyone I know that is flying is avoiding them due to the massive cutbacks in the J cabin, combined with the seat and 2-3-2 cabin. It's all well and good to claim you are now serving pre-made sandwiches for your meals on 15 hour flights because of covid, but when your competitors are serving full meals it gets to be a stretch and offer something like the Q-Suite for the same price, it's a no brainer to book elsewhere unless TK is your only option.

RvA

Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:07 pm

enilria wrote:
Much less talk of illegal subsidies now that every airline receives illegal subsidies. :)

Do you have a list of airlines receiving illegal subsidies? Would be interesting.

factsonly

Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:37 am

Found this QR A320 flight today October 1st:

- QR3251 DOH 01.20 - 06.12 PRG 07.22 - SNN 08.34 QR3251 A320-232 A7-AHW

https://www.flightradar24.com/QTR3251/25a662dc

rbavfan

Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:11 am

RvA wrote:
enilria wrote:
Much less talk of illegal subsidies now that every airline receives illegal subsidies. :)

Do you have a list of airlines receiving illegal subsidies? Would be interesting.

In all fairness currently most airlines. But it's due to covid and they are all doing it so it's not the same as usual.

RvA

Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:10 pm

rbavfan wrote:
RvA wrote:
enilria wrote:

In all fairness currently most airlines. But it's due to covid and they are all doing it so it's not the same as usual.

Currently most airlines are receiving ILLEGAL subsidies? I‘d still like a list of who is receiving what and which are subsidies (and which are loans) and which are illegal.

WorldFlier

Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:20 pm

Boiler905 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Boiler905 wrote:
It looks like QR's fiscal year ends 31MAR20, so COVID impact was minimal compared to what came after March. Additionally, their financial results say the operating loss was only -2.2%, so looks like non-operational items drove the loss. "General and Administrative Expenses" & "Net loss on fair valuation of equity securities" according to the financial statement (such as the IG investment failure, bad options contracts, etc).

Nice find. I admit I assumed a different timeline.

April-September have been brutal.

I remain of the opinion IST and ADD expansion is eating into ME3 opportunities.

Lightsaber

IST will have way more impact than ADD unless ET improves its safety record and obtains the ability to fly nonstop to the US (they only can ex-US currently, IIRC) since their flights all stop in Europe enroute to the US. Nonetheless, it's hard to ignore ET's # of routes and georgraphical position to serve the eastern and southern African continent; better than TK at least. The Ethiopian diaspora cities like IAD, LAX, YYZ, all maintained ET service quite well over the years.

I would go as far as to say TK has overtaken EY as a true ME3 contender, EY's breadth no longer really compares to EK, TK, QR. Which makes sense if they were to... you know... merge with EK :stirthepot:

What ET safety record?

Or are you still blaming the pilots for the MAX?

SonaSounds

Qatar Airways Announces DOH-SFO for December 2020

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:03 pm

As Qatar Airways continues to rapidly rebuild its network across the globe and in the U.S., the airline has announced it will operate four weekly flights to San Francisco – the fifth new destination launched by the national carrier of the State of Qatar since the start of the pandemic – from 15 December 2020. The San Francisco service will be operated by Qatar Airways’ state-of-the-art Airbus A350-900 featuring 36 seats in the award-winning Qsuite Business Class and 247 seats in Economy Class with passengers enjoying free Super Wi-Fi broadband internet until January 2021.

After years of saying they were going to fly the route interesting to see them launch 4x weekly service in the middle of the pandemic.

Tack

Re: Qatar Airways Announces DOH-SFO for December 2020

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:23 pm

SonaSounds wrote:
As Qatar Airways continues to rapidly rebuild its network across the globe and in the U.S., the airline has announced it will operate four weekly flights to San Francisco – the fifth new destination launched by the national carrier of the State of Qatar since the start of the pandemic – from 15 December 2020. The San Francisco service will be operated by Qatar Airways’ state-of-the-art Airbus A350-900 featuring 36 seats in the award-winning Qsuite Business Class and 247 seats in Economy Class with passengers enjoying free Super Wi-Fi broadband internet until January 2021.

After years of saying they were going to fly the route interesting to see them launch 4x weekly service in the middle of the pandemic.

Certainly having AS as a OW member soon won’t suck.

Ishrion

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:25 pm

Emirates just suspended DXB-SFO through the winter so... nice job Qatar Airways.

modesto2

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:27 pm

Definitely exciting news for SFO, especially after several years of talk and speculation. Agreed that it's curious timing with the pandemic. I assume they're hoping to pick up VFR traffic to South Asia until business travel resumes. Also, they operated a few A359 repatriation flights to SFO in recent months, and the pics looked great!

Ishrion

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:32 pm

Qatar Airways promotional video for SFO: https://youtu.be/LxhrzTszkcQ

LH658

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:39 pm

Why did EK suspend SFO?

mercure1

Re: Qatar Airways News and Discussion Thread

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:41 pm

Odd time to be launching new markets

SFO effective December 15.

TuThSaSu
QR737 DOH-SFO 0815-1255
QR738 SFO-DOH 1455-1715

mercure f-wtcc

amax1977

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:48 pm

This is great! Congrats to QR! Very smart of QR to grab the opportunity while EK is away.

MIflyer12

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:57 pm

Tack wrote:

Look at the AS route network out of SFO, take out the cities that already have non-stop QR service, and those for which other cities have better connecting routings (like AUS-DFW-DOH) and you'll see the AS partnership isn't going to amount to much value in SFO.

modesto2

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:59 pm

LH658 wrote:
Why did EK suspend SFO?

Reduced demand due to COVID. They've also suspended a few other routes:

"As of 1100GMT 24SEP20, the airline has removed Dallas/Ft. Worth, Edinburgh, London Stansted, Mexico City, Newcastle, St. Petersburg, San Francisco and Tokyo Haneda from its winter schedule. These destinations are expected to resume as early as 28MAR21."

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... t-24sep20/

Ammad

Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:10 pm

Indeed great news:

From press release: Schedule is:

San Francisco Flight Schedule: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday & Sunday

Doha (DOH) to San Francisco (SFO) QR737 departs: 08:15 arrives: 12:55
San Francisco (SFO) to Doha (DOH) QR738 departs: 14:55 arrives: 17:15+1

Tack

Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:13 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Tack wrote:

Look at the AS route network out of SFO, take out the cities that already have non-stop QR service, and those for which other cities have better connecting routings (like AUS-DFW-DOH) and you'll see the AS partnership isn't going to amount to much value in SFO.

Lol all I said is having AS in OW isn’t going to suck. No claim was made as to how valuable they might be to QR.

CALMSP

Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:19 pm

amax1977 wrote:
This is great! Congrats to QR! Very smart of QR to grab the opportunity while EK is away.

what opportunity? Right now there is basically no opportunity with so many travel restrictions and unknown. This just goes to show QR sole purpose is for country marketing and a "look at us" mentality.

If we stop and think, what kind of idiots are running this............announce SFO during an aviation boom, never start it, then say, two months in advance, a 15 hour flight with lots of borders closed and the worst aviation economic time in history.

AAB is such a tool!

as739x

Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:37 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Tack wrote:

PSP,BOI,SEA,PDX,GEG,SAN,SJD,PVR, Hawaii flights when they return, Etc....

Your statement isn't really the most valid statement. That being said QR isn't starting SFO because of AS/AA feed. It's one of the economic hubs of the world. One of the most highly visited by tourist in the world. Thats why they are flying there. But having OW connections can't hurt!

Its also doesn't hurt that SFO has been courting QR for many of years and I am sure under the current times, they are getting an even sweeter deal then they would have in years past.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

acavpics

Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:58 pm

There's gonna be quite a bit of overcapacity on SFO-India. AI and UA both do SFO-DEL and UA will soon start BLR. Then there's EK as well as SQ,CX and now QR.

x1234

Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:03 pm

I heard rumors that UA is looking to start SFO-BOM or SFO-BKK if the BLR flight is successful. SFO-BOM is a little shorter than SFO-BLR. Due to no winds in the poles UA has been flying SFO-DEL using a polar route making it in 15 hours. SFO-BOM is 17 hours eastbound like west-bound SFO-SIN.

onwFan

Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:14 pm

as739x wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Tack wrote:

PSP,BOI,SEA,PDX,GEG,SAN,SJD,PVR, Hawaii flights when they return, Etc....

Your statement isn't really the most valid statement. That being said QR isn't starting SFO because of AS/AA feed. It's one of the economic hubs of the world. One of the most highly visited by tourist in the world. Thats why they are flying there. But having OW connections can't hurt!

Its also doesn't hurt that SFO has been courting QR for many of years and I am sure under the current times, they are getting an even sweeter deal then they would have in years past.

Exactly. More than connections, the AS FF base should help a lot too in the long term... Irrespective of that, SF is a place that QR needs to be in. Till now, EK and SQ had a good lock on that to many South/South-East Asian destinations. QR also stands to gain from becoming AS’s preferred partner to EK/SQ at least from the flyer’s perspective, given that earning status miles will be available in the future with QR and likely not with EK/SQ. More competition in SFO to UA’s monopoly is always welcome. Access to secondary destinations in India (especially south India will be great). What a pity I moved from SF this year!

Hope they especially manage to launch and sustain it despite covid. Although the Indian government needs to relax some of the restrictions on sixth freedom traffic rights currently in place for them to reap full benefits of this route.

blooc350

Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:34 pm

QR have been known to last minute aircraft change from Q suites products to their regular Business Class seats. Id be pissed if I ended up on a non Q Suite A350-900.

CALMSP

Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:34 pm

blooc350 wrote:
QR have been known to last minute aircraft change from Q suites products to their regular Business Class seats. Id be pissed if I ended up on a non Q Suite A350-900.

its not like the old 777 business class where it was 2-2-2. Even without the Qsuite, you still get the good seat 1-2-1.

blooc350

Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:42 pm

CALMSP wrote:
blooc350 wrote:

its not like the old 777 business class where it was 2-2-2. Even without the Qsuite, you still get the good seat 1-2-1.

True but as a consumer, one should get the product they were promised and paid for.

ojjunior

Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:56 pm

Flight time ?

Antarius

Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:39 pm

CALMSP wrote:
amax1977 wrote:

what opportunity? Right now there is basically no opportunity with so many travel restrictions and unknown. This just goes to show QR sole purpose is for country marketing and a "look at us" mentality.

If we stop and think, what kind of idiots are running this............announce SFO during an aviation boom, never start it, then say, two months in advance, a 15 hour flight with lots of borders closed and the worst aviation economic time in history.

AAB is such a tool!

Did AAB take your first born? This just seems like you're angry with QR

QR is what it is, an airline with a bottomless budget and a CEO with a loud mouth. They are rich enough to afford it.
Last edited by Antarius on Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

Antarius

Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:42 pm

ojjunior wrote:
Flight time ?

Should be near identical to EK's DXB-SFO. By gcmap, DXB is 15 mi further.

Block time 16 hours.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

Lootess

Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:21 pm

Always been a fan of AAB, they gotta fly those A359s somewhere instead of sitting on the tarmac of Hamad airport. SFO is a safe choice.

Tack

Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:54 am

blooc350 wrote:

Have you ever flown QR? Never happened to me in the last three years, two trips a year. I’ve flown from LAX and ORD.

crownvic

Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:10 am

blooc350 wrote:
CALMSP wrote:
blooc350 wrote:

True but as a consumer, one should get the product they were promised and paid for.

You are forgetting one big thing. This is the airline business where corporations can treat you like crap and usually get away with it. Then they can turn around after treating us poorly and get government loans!

YYZORD

Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:25 am

QR is also adding DOH-YVR along with return of DOH-YYZ in Mid 2021. Canadian government has given QR a 7x weekly slot extension from the original 4x weekly slot for YUL meaning 11x weekly service to Canada for QR. QR has to divide the extra 7x weekly slot between both YYZ and YVR and that is the only hurdle at this moment but we should see both destinations by next year. SFO was announced now because US has open skies agreement but YVR and YYZ should follow that right after.

SurlyBonds

Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:42 am

LH658 wrote:
Why did EK suspend SFO?

I'm fairly certain that EK will be back at SFO fairly quickly after the pandemic subsides.

ojas

Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:48 am

A bold move. However, as things are in October QR cannot connecting passengers into and out of India. If this continues until December, I wonder what back up plans do they have.

A. From India to Qatar:

i. Qatari nationals;

ii. Any Indian national holding any type of valid Qatar visa and destined for Qatar only. It would be for the airlines concerned to ensure that there is no travel restriction for Indian nationals to enter Qatar with the particular visa category before issue of ticket/ boarding pass to the Indian passenger.

B. From Qatar to India:

i. Indian nationals stranded in Qatar;

ii. All Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) cardholders holding Qatari passports, and

iii. Qatari nationals (including diplomats) holding valid visa issued by an Indian Mission in any category covered under Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) guidelines dated 30.06.2020 as amended from time to time.

https://indianexpress.com/article/expla ... s-6605163/
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

Westerwaelder

Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:49 am

blooc350 wrote:

Not quite sure what this has to do with QR launching SFO?

Boiler905

Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:55 am

YYZORD wrote:
QR is also adding DOH-YVR along with return of DOH-YYZ in Mid 2021. Canadian government has given QR a 7x weekly slot extension from the original 4x weekly slot for YUL meaning 11x weekly service to Canada for QR. QR has to divide the extra 7x weekly slot between both YYZ and YVR and that is the only hurdle at this moment but we should see both destinations by next year. SFO was announced now because US has open skies agreement but YVR and YYZ should follow that right after.

What's your source for these approvals by the Canadian government?
Boiler Up

mooseofspruce

Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:17 pm

How many US destinations has QR added since announcing LAS? :duck:
I saw a flock of Moosen! Many much moosen! Out in the woods, in the wood-es, in the woodsen!

AEROFAN

Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:42 pm

Tack wrote:
blooc350 wrote:

Have you ever flown QR? Never happened to me in the last three years, two trips a year. I’ve flown from LAX and ORD.

I flew QR in JR last October (2019). One flight was on A350 and the other on B787. While not Q Suites, config was 1-2-1 on both flights.
Hard and soft products were superb! Two of my best flights ever. I would say only LH's First, BA's Concord, and SQ's First were better.
I will have to admit that when I made the booking, the A350 was supposed to be one of LATAM's. I was glad it turned out not to be.
Last edited by AEROFAN on Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

amax1977

Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:43 pm

mooseofspruce wrote:

This one seems to be real because they’re selling the tickets.

AEROFAN

Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:03 pm

amax1977 wrote:
mooseofspruce wrote:

This one seems to be real because they’re selling the tickets.

Perhaps it's a strategic move centered on developing brand recognition tied in with the World Cup 2022
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

migair54

Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:27 pm

Boiler905 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

It sound too much to get 7 weekly extra slots, when the UAE got extra slots it was 2 extra a week per airline, AC, EK, EY. So it seems for me unlikely that Canada will allow so many more flights to Qatar airways, at least in the UAE AC gets a piece of the cake, here Canadian airlines get nothing.

Westerwaelder wrote:
Not quite sure what this has to do with QR launching SFO?

It is true that before Covid SFO was missing from QR network, but I think now they just do to try to get some customers from EK now that the route is suspended until next summer. But I am not sure is this is wise or very desperate move, with the current situation and the latest results of QR.

flyyul

Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:33 pm

YYZORD wrote:

I'm not sure why you've decided to post this, but this is false and will not happen.

CALMSP

Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:48 pm

flyyul wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

I'm not sure why you've decided to post this, but this is false and will not happen.

well, QR's 5 year plan in 2016 listed YVR for 2021. But, it does/did depend on the accessibility.

YYZORD

Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:29 pm

I cannot disclose my sources as this is information that shouldn't be out right now due to the airline and governments are still in talks of the bilateral update on how they will divide the extra 7x weekly slots between YVR/YYZ. Government of Canada has already approved for QR to the 7x weekly extension and also permission to start a YVR service. However Government of Canada will not give QR more than 4x weekly per destination so it can be 4x weekly YVR/3x weekly YYZ or 4x weekly YYZ/3x weekly YVR, all depends how the airline wants to divide the slots. Mid 2021 is the target date for launch of both YVR and YYZ.

Boiler905 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

cybergus

Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:24 pm

Does anybody know if they will restart Atlanta and Miami at any point?
LAN Excellence in Flight

x1234

Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:34 pm

This is long overdue. I can't believe QR launched MIA and ATL before SFO.

MAH4546

Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:16 pm

cybergus wrote:
Does anybody know if they will restart Atlanta and Miami at any point?

Miami has been loaded into the winter schedule for a December 20th start, 4x a week with A350-900 (previously was a daily A350-1000).

Atlanta is not loaded in the winter schedule but it in the summer 2021 schedule (but that's a default loaded schedule).
a.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos