Topic Author

XK ATR72 landing in strong winds - video

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:25 pm

Impressive landing at BIA for this XK ATR72:

https://www.facebook.com/1052250344917276/videos/646393816107760/

Luftymatt

Re: XK ATR72 landing in strong winds - video

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:49 pm

Looks like some nasty windsheer on short final, well recovered by the pilot. Nice touch down too.

oldJoe

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:22 pm

Luftymatt wrote:
Looks like some nasty windsheer on short final, well recovered by the pilot. Nice touch down too.

That`spretty good to know that everthing sorted out fine, thanks to the crew upfront. I guess some of the pax is in need to change their panties

reltney

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:29 pm

Fantastic... the pilots demonstrated standard pilot skills required to fly airplanes. No drama. 99.99999% would have thought it was a little bumpy on approach..

Great video of what a pilot does everyday.....fly the plane.........nuff said..

Wayfarer515

Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:36 pm

Actually, I think a go around was the proper thing to do in an unstabilized approach, so no I don't agree it was a good landing.

WayexTDI

Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:46 pm

Wayfarer515 wrote:
Actually, I think a go around was the proper thing to do in an unstabilized approach, so no I don't agree it was a good landing.

Approach appeared quite stable until the last second when the wind shear kicked in; it was recovered and the plane landed fine.

Personally, I don't see any rule violation in this landing. Passengers were in for quite a landing (due to wind shear, but no one can predict that), most likely let out a "putain !!!"; but they all got on the ground safely.

airbuster

Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:57 pm

Wayfarer515 wrote:

Looking at the video I agree. It might have looked less worse to the pilot inside.

Nicoeddf

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:06 pm

Wayfarer515 wrote:

Absolutely agree. Just because it went well doesn't mean it was a good decision.

dakota558

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:27 pm

Hard to judge by just looking at the video, but it appears to me that the pilot had the airplane under control all the way to touchdown, meaning that he or she could have performed a go around any time all the way down. I fly the Dash 8, and conditions like this can appear at a few airports I fly into with variable winds and up and downdrafts. Can't speak for the ATR, but in the Dash you have quite good throttle response, so power for a go around will be there almost instant.
As long as you are able to touch down not too far down the runway, and with proper cross wind corrections, there is no drama.

And how can you say this approach was unstable? A stable approach is about being configured with gear and flaps and at the correct speed (plus a briefed margin). And also within certain parameters if flying an instrument approach. This is normally at 500 or 1000 feet, depending on conditions and company procedures. I can't tell by looking at the video if the approach was unstable or not. As long as the speed was ok, and the touchdown point was within company procedures, it is not an unstable approach.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos