Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MHG

Re: British Airways interested in flying US Domestic Routes

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:33 am

BA does already hold third/fourth freedom rights between their home country and the US but they won´t get fifth freedom (which would allow them to sell tickets between domestic points in the US if they make an intermediate stop in the US towards final destination somewhere else in the US).

Btw.:
BA is certainly not alone being interested in fifth freedom rights - so, nothing surprising/curious about that ...
The DoT is simply going along the line: No 5th freedom for any foreign carrier, period.
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Andy33

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:51 am

cedarjet wrote:
and the competition is easyJet, Ryanair and Norwegian, all LCCs who not only do buy-on-board but charge for boarding passes and hand luggage. .

Now who is mis-characterising? On these airlines you're supposed to check-in before you get to the airport, and the process generates a boarding pass which you can either print yourself or display on a smartphone using their (free) app. They don't charge for this, and neither easyJet nor Norwegian charge for boarding passes printed at the airport, that's Ryanair alone.
And none of these three airlines charge for hand luggage either. Indeed easyJet's main cabin baggage size is identical to BA's and has no weight limit (if you can lift it, you can take it). What US visitors to Europe find so odd is that having size and wight limits on hand luggage, they are actually enforced vigorously and extracting money from those who think that rules only apply to other people is seen as a revenue stream.

KlimaBXsst

Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:18 am

D/B/A British Airways

Comair...

It really is NOT that challenging for BA to operate over in the US. Plenty of regionals out there eager to put BA on the side of there fuselage!
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:37 am

I'm surprised nobody posted the BA documentary made in 1990 talking about this, among other things.

This has been discussed for 30+ years!

https://youtu.be/OPr2eY8JBo4?t=695
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

BA777FO

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:08 am

alfa164 wrote:
DAL763ER wrote:
You also forgot to mention when you flew to BRU...if in winter, flights aren't all that full in Europe...

Some are: the Brussels Airlines flights were full, the BA flights were half-empty. That tells the story.

Your story is simply anecdotal. BA's load factor was up 3.3% in 2019 to 83.7% - higher than Aer Lingus and similar to Veuling.

Latest figures I could find for Brussels Airlines was, for them, a record 78.5% in 2017.

So your story is rather incomplete.

Bhoy

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:12 am

par13del wrote:
Well let's take this example, BA operate 2 morning flights into JFK and BOS using two slots at LHR.
If they combine both flights into 1 A380 which does JFK then BOS they free up a LHR slot for some other destination, any local traffic between JFK and BOS is just additional income and the entire trip does not have to involve sharing income with any partner.

Other destinations for which that could work is MIA, TPA, MCO, SFO, LAX, DFW, the sky is the limit, BA would be able to hit much more USA destination while using less LHR slots.
Who knows, this may be the issue to resurrect the A380 or give it a BA secondary market.

Now will something like this happen, I would hope not, but from a technical point, I can see where there would be interest.

You can point blank forget that.
Why would someone traveling LON-BOS want a detour via JFK (adding an hours flight time overall, plus potentially long taxi times at JFK), as well as having to disembark, reclaim bags and pass through CBP at JFK before reboarding - Unless you want the local JFK-BOS passengers to be treated as International, so have to pass through CBP at BOS, you can’t have half the Plane arriving at BOS as domestic, half as non-customs cleared aliens.

TTailedTiger

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:15 am

It might be a good tactic to maybe scare the legacies into acting right. Tell them to ditch basic economy, bag fees, and restore legroom to something livable. I hate being nickel and dimed. Just charge the customer what a decent experience costs. Ya know, kind of like what Southwest does. The ultra price sensitive have Frontier, Allegiant, and Spirit.

cedarjet

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:36 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
I'm surprised nobody posted the BA documentary made in 1990 talking about this, among other things.

This has been discussed for 30+ years!

https://youtu.be/OPr2eY8JBo4?t=695

In my defence I thought of it as soon as I saw the OP, and Crandall’s response, “You. Must. Arrange. Those. Rights. For. Us.” (Although in reality I think even that would not be enough to impress the unions, Congress etc.)

Fantastic series!
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

SEU

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:49 am

Who doesnt want to fly domestic US routes?

I often wonder whether BA would like it if Delta started LHR-MAN/EDI/GLA etc.

3AWM

Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:35 am

Polot wrote:
US airlines had have full 5th freedom rights from the UL as part of the US/EU open skies for over a decade now. That means they can fly between EU countries with full traffic flights (just not within one country). Note how many 5th freedom routes they actually operate. No US airline is going to want to set up a to hub in the U.K. serving the rest of the EU. The US3 all have European partners. US LCCs would have no desire to join the European low cost bloodbath against Ryanair, Easyjet, and Wizzair.

At the moment there aren't any viable intermediate stops between mainland Europe and the US, every country in between is either under the EU agreement or too small. Once the UK leaves the EU proper then the UK will become a potential intermediate stop.

Heathrow is currently the biggest transatlanic hub and is highly lucrative for BA. Why wouldn't US carriers want a piece of that? - Delta is already trying to access that through it's investment in VS despite having codeshares connections at Paris and Amsterdam. From BA's point of view would being able to operate a few tags in the US be adequate recompense for removing part of the protection for their current business model?

Polot

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:05 am

3AWM wrote:
Polot wrote:
US airlines had have full 5th freedom rights from the UL as part of the US/EU open skies for over a decade now. That means they can fly between EU countries with full traffic flights (just not within one country). Note how many 5th freedom routes they actually operate. No US airline is going to want to set up a to hub in the U.K. serving the rest of the EU. The US3 all have European partners. US LCCs would have no desire to join the European low cost bloodbath against Ryanair, Easyjet, and Wizzair.

At the moment there aren't any viable intermediate stops between mainland Europe and the US, every country in between is either under the EU agreement or too small. Once the UK leaves the EU proper then the UK will become a potential intermediate stop.

The EU is not a country. Spain-France, or U.K.-France (before Brexit) are 5th freedom routes that US carriers are allowed to operate with full traffic rights. US carriers just can’t operate routes like LHR-MAN, MAD-BCN, or CDG-TLS with full traffic rights because those are domestic routes requiring cabotage.

MHG wrote:
BA does already hold third/fourth freedom rights between their home country and the US but they won´t get fifth freedom (which would allow them to sell tickets between domestic points in the US if they make an intermediate stop in the US towards final destination somewhere else in the US).

Btw.:
BA is certainly not alone being interested in fifth freedom rights - so, nothing surprising/curious about that ...
The DoT is simply going along the line: No 5th freedom for any foreign carrier, period.

What you describe is not 5th freedom flying. 5th freedom is using a US airport as an intermediate stop before flying to another country with full traffic rights (ie EU-US-Mexico). European carriers have full 5th freedom rights with the US. They don’t use them for largely the same reason US carriers don't use their 5th freedom rights with the EU.

OA412

Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:49 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
It might be a good tactic to maybe scare the legacies into acting right. Tell them to ditch basic economy, bag fees, and restore legroom to something livable. I hate being nickel and dimed. Just charge the customer what a decent experience costs. Ya know, kind of like what Southwest does. The ultra price sensitive have Frontier, Allegiant, and Spirit.

Have you flown BA intra-Europe? The legacies wouldn’t be scared of anything considering short haul on BA is equivalent to US ULCCs.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

edealinfo

Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:52 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Avgeek perspective, this would be an amazing opportunity to fly on BA if they’re given rights to transport passengers within the states.

I guess you haven't seen their service. They are much lower than Emirates, Cathay, and even Air France.

calstanford

Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:00 pm

SEU wrote:
Who doesnt want to fly domestic US routes?

I often wonder whether BA would like it if Delta started LHR-MAN/EDI/GLA etc.

They would. UK domestic routes aren't the big money maker US routes are.

chepos

Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:48 pm

I last flew BA intra Europe between LHR-BUD on a 320 NEO (2 hours and 30 min flight). Everything was for a charge, which I knew going into it and does not really bother me. However, for those going on how much better BA is in comparison to the US carriers would be in for a rude awakening. Very similar experience on shorter haul segments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

USAirALB

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:14 pm

chepos wrote:
I last flew BA intra Europe between LHR-BUD on a 320 NEO (2 hours and 30 min flight). Everything was for a charge, which I knew going into it and does not really bother me. However, for those going on how much better BA is in comparison to the US carriers would be in for a rude awakening. Very similar experience on shorter haul segments.

Similar? I would say BA is worse...At least on AA you can pick you seat in advance, get free non-alcoholic drinks and snacks, have Wi-Fi and inseat power (usually), and you have a chance of having IFE.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

zeke

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:17 pm

Polot wrote:
Brexit actually weakens UK’s chances of that ever happening. What would the UK offer in return for the US that is near comparable? UK domestic rights lol?

They could always become the 51 st state, Donald always wanted a Queen ;)

braniff2hav wrote:
There is no difference in my eyes or heart that I see with BA. Blah.

The obvious difference between BA and AA is 10 (16 for you decimal folk).
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

zackary747

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:43 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
I could see this happening with secondary markets....and it would be welcomed. example: LHR-SDF-STL-MCI-STL-SDF-LHR

:lol:
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Pinkfroot

Travels (2020): ATL-IND (DL)

maverick4002

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:51 pm

CALMSP wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Don't underestimate the Trump administration's petty readiness to slap down (unionized) U.S. carriers. You're right about the U.K. having nothing comparable to offer.

considering this administration is about its people first, there's no way this would ever happen.

LOLOLOLOL

Bluegrass60

Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:22 pm

zackary747 wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
I could see this happening with secondary markets....and it would be welcomed. example: LHR-SDF-STL-MCI-STL-SDF-LHR

Suggest you Indy fanboys stick with IND to various destinations in Asia. SDF will have TATL before IND has any NS to Asia.

LAX772LR

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:38 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Such a proposal would die in Congress a quick death.

And even if it didn't, such a proposal would quickly die an operational death.

Did people learn nothing from Virgin America? From Legend?

Show of hands: who here is ignorant enough to STILL believe that Ma & Pa Kettle are going to pay a significant premium to fly coach to Kansas City, because an airline offers a pusher seat and a younger flight attendant with tigger bitties and a smile? Who?

Doesn't work. Through the classes, people consistently pay a premium for one thing and one thing only: a nonstop.

BA would get so slaughtered in the US domestic market that it wouldn't be funny.
And all for what? What do they plan to acquire that AA can't already do for them?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

vhtje

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:53 pm

So if i understand all the “no, nuh-huh, NEVAH” replies in this thread: Americans can apparently dictate to us Brits that we must accept chlorinated chicken and sell off of NHS services in any liberalised trade agreement between the UK and the US, but we Brits aren’t allowed to hypothesise on what a liberalised Bilateral air services agreement might look like?

Double standards, much?

Still: that is the reality when the playing field isn’t level: the weaker player must accept the bully’s rules.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

zackary747

Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:13 am

Bluegrass60 wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

Suggest you Indy fanboys stick with IND to various destinations in Asia. SDF will have TATL before IND has any NS to Asia.

I don't deny that. I personally think Asia is 10-15 years out to the earliest, maybe longer. I bet IND will have a second TATL flight before SDF gets one, that's for sure..... Oh, and if BA were to do domestic flights they would not do it in the format you suggested. Louisville fanboys.... Get a nonstop to BOS, SFO, and SEA first.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Pinkfroot

Travels (2020): ATL-IND (DL)

par13del

Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:26 am

vhtje wrote:
So if i understand all the “no, nuh-huh, NEVAH” replies in this thread: Americans can apparently dictate to us Brits that we must accept chlorinated chicken and sell off of NHS services in any liberalised trade agreement between the UK and the US, but we Brits aren’t allowed to hypothesise on what a liberalised Bilateral air services agreement might look like?

Double standards, much?

Still: that is the reality when the playing field isn’t level: the weaker player must accept the bully’s rules.

The last two treaties that the UK negotiated were no paragons of virtue...namely Bermuda I and II, thankfully the agreement already negotiated will not see the return of either of those, however, it will be interesting to see how things shape out as more ownership of airlines leaves the UK needing the US waiver.

On the chlorinated chicken front, I still do not understand why EU citizens on return from the US are not screened for chicken consumption if it is that dangerous.

Arion640

Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:31 am

Why is this thread continuing?

There is no basis to this rumour. I could start Ryanair want to start flying domestically in Hong Kong and it would have the same credibility.

ua900

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:18 am

airbazar wrote:
ua900 wrote:

hiflyeras wrote:
When hell freezes over. What is this, April Fool's Day?

Much like Halloween starting right after Labor Day, April Fools might come around earlier with each year as well. IMO they could have waited until *after* Valentine's Day though :-)

Be careful. We had Virgin [America] flying in the U.S. for a while. Yes their ownership structure was different but there was no denying who was really in charge and they proved that there are ways around it. David Neeleman now is part owner of a EU carrier and nothing stopping him from becoming a majority owner. Bottom line is, if a foreign airline really wants to setup a U.S. domestic operation, it's not that difficult to find a few surrogate "investors" with American citizenship.

IIRC it took VA a couple of years to get past concerns about strawmen, and their 55" pitch is now a 41" thanks to the AS takeover. I only flew VA once, in first, because they matched my schedule really well one day. Club vibes at the check in counter, nice friendly hip crews, a bit too clubby for me, but never saw anything like it elsewhere on a domestic flight. Sure, others have mood lights, and funny announcements, but it seemed to come very natural to VA staff. Now they're back in the fold of corporate America, boring AS product, hope you like pancakes. Reality is that if you start an airline here, it won't look like VA, Hooters Air or Braniff, it'll look like UA and AA, or Mesa and Republic.

As others have said, BA Eurobusiness is a shame (as are others over there) in terms of hard product. That wouldn't sit well with US customers, and in return the EU carriers would choke on complimentary and TOD upgrades that are the norm here. One can always argue that there's room for a TK style service level in the US, but again the EU 3 are miles away from that at present, especially BA / IAG.
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL

millionsofmiles

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:15 am

Old question dating back 30 years.

Not happening, especially with the advent of alliances.

Nothing to see here.

ikramerica

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:20 am

They won’t give up on this. It won’t happen. It’s not a thing.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

blueflyer

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:12 am

Polot wrote:
There are a lot of international airlines that would love to fly US domestic. That doesn’t mean it will happen.

Brexit actually weakens UK’s chances of that ever happening. What would the UK offer in return for the US that is near comparable? UK domestic rights lol?

The beauty of negotiating comprehensive new trade agreements from scratch is that they do not have to offer like-for-like concessions. There's no "rule of trade negotiations" that keeps the US from exporting chlorinated meat to the UK in exchange for granting British carriers 8th or 9th freedoms of the air. Not saying it is likely, but merely pointing out that the concessions don't have to be like-for-like.

Bluegrass60

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:59 pm

zackary747 wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
zackary747 wrote:

I don't deny that. I personally think Asia is 10-15 years out to the earliest, maybe longer. I bet IND will have a second TATL flight before SDF gets one, that's for sure..... Oh, and if BA were to do domestic flights they would not do it in the format you suggested. Louisville fanboys.... Get a nonstop to BOS, SFO, and SEA first.

"Indy Fanboys - good luck! In today's world...never say never...Breeze Airlines might be the perfect fit for SDF..."

KlimaBXsst

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:47 pm

As I got to thinking about this in more detail, there are really only TWO, worldwide BRANDS that might have any real success flying internal US routes by taking PARTIAL ownership and placing their names upon a US REGIONAL PARTER such as Compass.

As the US is predominately an ENGLISH speaking nation and conducts business in English, the BRANDS would likely have to fit in with our ENGLISH speaking values in the US. “BA US” could work serving the BA transatlantic JFK hub simply due to the sake of GEOGRAPHY.

The other airline BRAND that might be able to make a successful mark using its branding upon a regional US carrier would be the Kangaroo Airline. QANTAS. Yes I know it stands for Queensland yada yada ... Most Americans just know of QANTAS as the airline with a Kangaroo on its tail. We love Kangaroo’s daddy lets fly that one!

PS NO I am not saying QANTAS is going to fly US routes, or take partial ownership of a US regional carrier. JUST pointing out I feel ONLY British Airways or Qantas could be successful. British filling some of the void left by PAN AM and TWA in JFK transatlantic hub, and Qantas introducing Americans to its version of hospitality upon routes that feed or supply the west coast.

KlimaBXsst

Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:09 pm

Of course though anything Qantas or British Airways were to do here would HAVE to benefit their ALLIANCE partners too, so you could liken this incursion in to US as 75% marketing blitz and 25% in the HOPE of making a “real” profit.

Think of it as Western Pacific with a cohesive marketing brand that benefits alliance like STAR, Skyteam, or ONEWORLD and creates the “appearance” of competition while actually tapping market from low cost upstarts who are seeking to capitalize upon voids left in the market place by the Big Legacies alienation of much of the “supposedly savvy,” but got a degree they will be paying off for a lifetime “millennial youth,” who want different and thus gravitate to ULCC’s and WN, but are not quite satisfied by them either cause of youthful expectations of immediate gratification.

BA777FO

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:42 pm

ua900 wrote:
As others have said, BA Eurobusiness is a shame (as are others over there) in terms of hard product. That wouldn't sit well with US customers, and in return the EU carriers would choke on complimentary and TOD upgrades that are the norm here. One can always argue that there's room for a TK style service level in the US, but again the EU 3 are miles away from that at present, especially BA / IAG.

Eurobusiness is a competitive product within Europe. Why do people think that in the never-going-to-happen-anyway event that BA did launch a US domestic airline that it would resemble a Euro-style product? They would be competitive with the market in which they operate. Just as the Club Suite will now be one of the most competitive J seats in the sky, the product is tailored to its market. BA/IAG doesn't have high operating margins because everyone hates flying with them...

US consumers may value their overall product more than Europeans, many of whom do not want to pay for something they don't need (like a drink on a 45 minute flight) but Spirit aren't doing too badly offering a bare bones product...

Ultimately though this thread really has run its course. BA don't want to operate a domestic US airline. The Atlantic joint business with AA covers all of BA's US domestic needs.

BA777FO

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:51 pm

OA412 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Have you flown BA intra-Europe? The legacies wouldn’t be scared of anything considering short haul on BA is equivalent to US ULCCs.

Didn't realise Spirit and Allegiant offered a ticket that guaranteed you the middle seat will be spare, offers complimentary food and beverages, including alcohol if you wish, free baggage allowance, dedicated check in desks, priority boarding, priority security check lane access, lounge access and more air miles/points towards exec level upgrade. People might mock Club Europe, but it's about the same price as most of the US3's main economy tickets on similar sector lengths.

They'd probably be scared how much cheaper BA is than them. When was the last time you picked up a one way fare for $35 on a 2 hour flight?

Rossiya747

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:03 pm

UAL777UK wrote:
This will happen the same time EasyJet start flying A380s on domestic routes in the UK. In other words, never!

I mean like it has happened in Airline Empires, so...
223 319 320 321 332 333 346 388 734 737 738 739 38M 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 77W 788 789 208 CRJ2 E145 E190 UA DL AA WN AC CM 4O AV 2K FI DY D8 SK LH EI FR U2 IB OS LX BA VS BT PS MS SA SW QR EY HY AI 9W TG SQ MH AK D7 QZ BR NH CA QF MI LV/IB VY AL

ethernal

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:04 pm

reltney wrote:
It’s called cabotage it will not be allowed in the US. It’s an unfair trade practice. Do you think Ryan Air would like Jet blue, or spirit to come to Ireland...

HAH! Wow, what a twisted interpretation. Restricting cabotage to domestic carriers is an unfair (albeit widely accepted) restriction of trade. To call an airline flying in another country an unfair trade practice is absolutely ludicrous. It is no better than protectionist tariffs on goods.

In a perfect world, the law would indeed change to allow for true competition within market. It would be better for consumers but hurt both the major airlines and their unions (which is why it will never happen). These restraints (and other similar constraints like requiring 51% of ownership to remain within a specific country) are antiquated carry-overs from an era of flag carriers.

Tkt96

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:26 pm

CALMSP wrote:
considering this administration is about its people first, there's no way this would ever happen.

Thank you for the laugh! I can just picture someone struggling to keep a straight face as they try to finish that statement.

In all honesty if England approved some tax incentives for a Trump golf course that could increase his personal wealth he'd sell out the US airline industry faster than you can say MAGA!

The only people Trump cares about are the ones who can benefit him financially.

KD5MDK

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:49 am

I’m not sure how long BA aircraft spend on the ground in NY, but if there was time for a tag on to Chicago, Atlanta, Houston or MIA that would definitely be a chance to capture some additional revenue.

Anyone talking about codeshares as the solution needs to decide how much actual $ BA gets for the codeshare leg compared to what they get when they sell the ticket.

(Edited to pick big partner hubs which might have high value customers poachable without competing TOO directly with AA.)

chepos

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:59 am

KD5MDK wrote:
I’m not sure how long BA aircraft spend on the ground in NY, but if there was time for a tag on to Chicago, Atlanta, Houston or MIA that would definitely be a chance to capture some additional revenue.

Anyone talking about codeshares as the solution needs to decide how much actual $ BA gets for the codeshare leg compared to what they get when they sell the ticket.

(Edited to pick big partner hubs which might have high value customers poachable without competing TOO directly with AA.)

BA is not in the business of loosing money. Tag ons as you describe are out of fashion, they are expensive to operate and not competitive. Plus BA already flies nonstop out of LHR to the stations you mentioned.

Fly the Flag!!!!

evank516

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:41 am

peterinlisbon wrote:
I heard that Virgin Atlantic is interested in flying to the moon. Unfortunately reality gets in the way sometimes...

I mean Virgin Galactic exists :duck:

Kbud

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:51 am

Why is it special if BA were to fly domestic in the US? I fly them 5 to 7 times a year connecting through LHR from American. They are on par with American and not better than Delta or United.

CALMSP

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:20 am

Tkt96 wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

Thank you for the laugh! I can just picture someone struggling to keep a straight face as they try to finish that statement.

In all honesty if England approved some tax incentives for a Trump golf course that could increase his personal wealth he'd sell out the US airline industry faster than you can say MAGA!

The only people Trump cares about are the ones who can benefit him financially.

right, b/c this country's booming economy is soooooooooooooo horrible we are all suffering deeply..........including the airlines

KlimaBXsst

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:30 am

Kbud wrote:
Why is it special if BA were to fly domestic in the US? I fly them 5 to 7 times a year connecting through LHR from American. They are on par with American and not better than Delta or United.

Most countries do not permit aviation cabotage, and there are strict sanctions against it, for reasons of economic protectionism, national security, or public safety.

catiii

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:45 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
D/B/A British Airways

Comair...

It really is NOT that challenging for BA to operate over in the US. Plenty of regionals out there eager to put BA on the side of there fuselage!

Yeah but BA a) took a financial interest in Comair so that b) it could serve St Helena from JNB thus bringing air service to a British Overseas Protectorate.

KlimaBXsst

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:45 am

A third airline with a strong enough North American brand that might be able to undertake US flying by a JV 25% investment in a local regional is

Westjet

Maybe Westjet should make a 25% investment in Contour to form a JOINT VENTURE crewed by Contour crews, but flying in Westjet colors.

KlimaBXsst

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:04 am

Going to east UK and England
d/b/a British Airways
Going to Australia and West the Kangaroo airline
d/b/a Qantas
Going around the Midwest and to Canada
d/b/a Westjet

Ziyulu

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:27 am

You have to remember, they might offer different service in the U.S. than in Europe just like how U.S. carriers have different service internationally. Remember the old routes from NRT to PEK on UA and DL? They are less than 4 hours long, but they have full meal service.

Ziyulu

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:29 am

Does anyone know what type of meal service is offered on QF flights from LAX to JFK? Is there a full meal service? Or is it BOB?

chepos

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:44 am

Ziyulu wrote:
Does anyone know what type of meal service is offered on QF flights from LAX to JFK? Is there a full meal service? Or is it BOB?

It’s a full meal service.

Fly the Flag!!!!

chepos

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:46 am

Ziyulu wrote:
You have to remember, they might offer different service in the U.S. than in Europe just like how U.S. carriers have different service internationally. Remember the old routes from NRT to PEK on UA and DL? They are less than 4 hours long, but they have full meal service.

You make it sound like this is going to happen? I mean this was basically clickbait which anetters got excited about.

Fly the Flag!!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos