Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

crownvic
Topic Author

Strange taxing accident. 737 separates from tug... fatal injury to tug driver

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:36 pm

I searched and did not see this bizarre accident which occurred at Don Meuang Airport. Evidently a 737 under tow separated from the tug then moving forward and running the tug over. How does this happen??

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... tion=click

HPRamper

Re: Strange taxing accident. 737 separates from tug... fatal injury to tug driver

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:07 pm

They probably hit the brakes too hard and at an angle which sheared the towbar and caused the nose gear to veer. They were not moving when the plane ran them over. For the operators, it probably happened so fast they had no time to react.

arcticcruiser

Re: Strange taxing accident. 737 separates from tug... fatal injury to tug driver

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:23 pm

Nothing protects the tug operator of those small tugs from the airplane. The low stance of the 737 did not help in this case.

jayunited

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:26 pm

HPRamper wrote:
They probably hit the brakes too hard and at an angle which sheared the towbar and caused the nose gear to veer. They were not moving when the plane ran them over. For the operators, it probably happened so fast they had no time to react.

They didn't hit the brakes to hard they were using a TUG which isn't the correct piece of equipment when towing a 737.

Here in the States we use TUG's to tow baggage carts and freight, on some occasions I have seen a TUG used to move an empty 50 seater RJ at the hangar but never on a 737 on a active taxiway. I could be wrong but I don't think that piece of equipment was designed to tow 737s.

T4thH

Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:37 am

jayunited wrote:
HPRamper wrote:

They didn't hit the brakes to hard they were using a TUG which isn't the correct piece of equipment when towing a 737.

Here in the States we use TUG's to tow baggage carts and freight, on some occasions I have seen a TUG used to move an empty 50 seater RJ at the hangar but never on a 737 on a active taxiway. I could be wrong but I don't think that piece of equipment was designed to tow 737s.

This is just a standard push back tug (a smaller one, for the smaller jets), as used everywhere in the world. The driving cabins are light build, as they can ascend so the driver has a better view. As the cabins are so light build, the driver is only weak protected, when the jet drives over the flat pushback tug and crashes the cabin. Sad to see this accident.

Silver1SWA

Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:46 am

This is why I hate the seatbelt requirement for pushing back. I want to be able to quickly bail if something like this happens. Not sure it would’ve mattered in this case but it reinforces my concern about being strapped in.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ikramerica

Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:47 am

T4thH wrote:
jayunited wrote:
HPRamper wrote:

This is just a standard push back tug (a smaller one, for the smaller jets), as used everywhere in the world. The driving cabins are light build, as they can ascend so the driver has a better view. As the cabins are so light build, the driver is only weak protected, when the jet drives over the flat pushback tug and crashes the cabin. Sad to see this accident.

Doesn’t look like one we use in states but the video is very bad.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

PhilMcCrackin

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:12 am

HPRamper wrote:

Yeah, from the video it looks like the tow bar breaks at the six second mark and he's likely severely injured/dead by the ten second mark. Pretty quick.

FGITD

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:17 am

Not sure what the debate is here, I can drive across the field and see 4 different operators using 4 different pushbacks on 737. There's no standard American used style. And if you really want to push it, TUG is a specific brand.

The article does suffer from the usual aviation reporting, runway vs taxiway, etc.

Big question is where was the brake rider?

wjcandee

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:22 am

Almost looks like there's nobody riding the brakes.

Pontius

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:31 am

The brake rider likely won't know there has been a disconnect unless the tug driver communicates it. My operation damaged two a/c in a year this way. You can't stand on the brakes for every bump and clunk while under tow. In fact an errant brake application can break the shear pin, causing this very scenario to play out. It's a Catch 22.

jayunited

Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:03 am

ikramerica wrote:
Doesn’t look like one we use in states but the video is very bad.

From the video the TUG looks like it could be a Toyota see the link below.
https://images.app.goo.gl/pJnA1pi6o7SUD3A97

While UA is moving towards more electric vehicles we still have plenty of Toyota TUG's. Again from the video it looks like this could have been the type of TUG they were using.

jetmatt777

Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:07 am

It's not the toyota diesel tug you are thinking of jay.

tcfc424

Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:54 am

Having been a ramper, this is an unfortunate incident, but easily understandable. At some point, the shear pin broke, separating the towbar and resulting in an uncontrolled situation. Likely the brake rider knew there was an issue, unless the tug driver communicated. Tragic.

I once was pushing back an E-170 and the shear pin broke (was frequent) and realized the aircraft was freely rolling backward toward a 20-30' ravine. Just communicated "Brake brake BRAKE" and they applied the brakes. It was moving away from me, not towards me, low speed.

RIP

WIederling

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:12 pm

The video gives the impression that the plane seems to accelerate ( and turns around the portside MLG?)?

Did they have engines running?
Murphy is an optimist

StereoTechque

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:45 pm

I know it is too early to speculate, but watching the video it seems the Towing speed was high followed by a sudden braking by the Tug causing tow bar failure. Will have to wait for the official report to be out.
Looking California.. Feeling Minnesota.... R. I.P. Chris Cornell...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos