Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

x1234
Topic Author

Aeroflot in Anchorage/Russian Far East/SEA/SFO

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:13 pm

Just saw this on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM8iWmJ4qQ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkv25QfsPqE
When and where did Aeroflot fly from the Russian Far East to Anchorage and onto the lower 48 (I heard SEA & SFO were served!? Aeroflot did have a 777-200ER back in the day I heard they flew SVO-SEA-SFO. Any chance with the A350 of Aeroflot returning to SFO or SEA?

thevery

Re: Aeroflot in Anchorage/Russian Far East/SEA/SFO

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:39 pm

SEA is unlikely is the near future but SFO is possible in 2021 given that with addition of SIN and KIX Asia is now pretty much covered. IT business traffic should give some O&D and transit to India, TLV and other can fill the back.

cschleic

Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:03 pm

Somewhere I have some slides of an Aeroflot IL-96 at SFO in the late 80s or probably 90s. Also a 763 at LAX in October 2000.

leftcoast8

Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:06 pm

thevery wrote:
SEA is unlikely is the near future but SFO is possible in 2021 given that with addition of SIN and KIX Asia is now pretty much covered. IT business traffic should give some O&D and transit to India, TLV and other can fill the back.

IT business traffic? To Russia? Does Russia have a big tech sector I don't know about?

Pudelhund

Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:13 pm

The visa situation between the two countries needs to be improved first. SU was talking about cutting service to most of its existing American destinations recently because it has trouble getting visas approved for its own crew. SU is opening a new hub in Krasnoyarsk, which one day might be a way to get transfer traffic from western North America into China and India.

Aeroflot777

Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:31 pm

The SFO to SVO and back, was my childhood route. Used to fly SU on these hops almost every other month. It was a godsend, and made me fall in love with their only two 777-200ERs back in the day. I felt like I knew every little crack on those aircraft. It was obviously served via other cities and by other aircraft prior to that (Aeroflot made stops in SNN for many routes). Then the nonstop SFO started making stops in SEA, but it was still the best option for us, and allowed us to bypass JFK and Western Europe on the way back to Moscow.

When Aeroflot began its restructuring and fleet renewal, holding on to the two 772ERs was tough logistically. I think some routes have the potential for return once enough aircraft are in the fleet. We'll see what happens when the 350s come online in full force and the long haul 332s are retired.

schernov

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:32 pm

In the 90s there used to be a flight SVO-SEA-SFO-SVO on IL96
there was also a VVO-ANC-SEA-VVO on IL62

thevery

Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:01 am

leftcoast8 wrote:
IT business traffic? To Russia? Does Russia have a big tech sector I don't know about?

More from Russia I'd say, SFO->SVO is more about VFR.
See also https://about.crunchbase.com/blog/2019- ... rn-europe/

Sancho99504

Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:02 am

Up until late the end of 2001, SU operated KHV-ANC-SEA-LAX-SEA-ANC-KHV and VVO-ANC-SEA-SFO-SEA-ANC-VVO 3-4x a week. 99% of the time, they were operated with IL-62M. Once in a great while, a Tu-154b would come thru. Not usually full. SU people were a pain in the ass to work with. I believe the main reason they stopped was due to neither aircraft being able to meet noise requirements. They never came back because SU began treating the airline like a business, not a jobs program.

SEA would probably work with an A321XLR if they could manage a good revenue premium. Until the Visa situation and tensions cool between our countries, it won't be back any time soon.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

wedgetail737

Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:04 am

Yakutia flies ANC-Russia Far East seasonally.

thevery

Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:14 am

Pudelhund wrote:
The visa situation between the two countries needs to be improved first. SU was talking about cutting service to most of its existing American destinations recently because it has trouble getting visas approved for its own crew.

Almost 2 years past since closure of US Consulate in St. Petersburg and the flights are still here and not even reduced as I can see.

dcah62

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:20 am

Aeroflot started out serving Seattle from the Russian Far East via Anchorage and then switched to a Moscow (SVO) - Seattle (SEA) route in the 1990s. They operated 767-300s and then the IL-96 on the route. Through friends that worked for the Port of Seattle, I managed to go on the inaugural IL-96 flight once it landed in Seattle. Was a nice aircraft but it was interesting to see holes in the cockpit dashboard where some CRTs should have been. I would love to see Aeroflot back in Seattle given the large Russian and Ukrainian population.

gunsontheroof

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:37 am

I don't recall the specifics of the Russian far-east routes, but I definitely remember seeing the IL-96 at the south satellite as a kid and the 767/777 SVO-SEA flights when I was a bit older. Would love to see SU back at SEA someday, but U.S.-Russia yields seem to have tanked in the last decade and SEA probably wouldn't be the first destination considered anyway...
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

DBCoop3r

Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:18 am

The US govt has shut down both the San Francisco Russian consulate and Seattle Russia n consulate in the last 3 years due to economic espionage (and in SEAs case, military espionage as well due to the Boomer base at Bangor.)

A lot needs to change for the govt to approve a reopening of a consulate in either city and therefore any chance at a need and/or approval for a direct flight to SEA or SFO.

HVN2HEL2LAX

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:21 am

Hi All:

Sorry but I think for SFO, the flight used to fly VVO-PKC-SEA-SFO-SEA-PKC-VVO on the IL-62. This may have been when SU first started to fly to SFO in the late 80s/early 90s. I remember because when they started, I went to SFO to try to meet with the station manager for a school paper. Didn't get much useful info. but he gave me a green and gold lapel pin that I have to this day.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos