Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyingSquirrel3
Topic Author

History of EWR Terminals A and B

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:01 am

When Newark's (EWR) Terminal A first opened back in 1973, which airlines did it serve? Does anyone remember for sure?

As best as I can recall, I think the order-of-appearance of the ticket counters were:
    United,
    Piedmont,
    Northwest,
    TWA,
    Braniff
Was the gate allocation as follows? United had the first concourse to itself, Piedmont and Northwest shared the second concourse, and TWA and Braniff had the third. Amazing how United is the sole survivor today!

Of course, the days of Terminal A are numbered, what with the progress being made on the new Terminal 1.

Terminal B opened several months later, and I think its carriers at the beginning were (alphabetically):
    Allegheny,
    American,
    Delta,
    Eastern,
    National
Again, anyone remember for sure? Looks like there are two still around from that bunch! Presumably, they were still using the North Terminal in the time frame between the openings of Terminal A and Terminal B.

deltacto

Re: History of EWR Terminals A and B

Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:02 am

While not from 1973, I have a Terminal map published by the Port Authority in 1976 ... alas, no gate numbers

Terminal A: Braniff, Northwest, Piedmont, TWA, and United

Terminal B: Allegheny, American, Delta, Eastern, and New York Airways

so what you remembered is correct :)

WA707atMSP

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:00 am

For Terminal A, I think it was UA in the first concourse, PI, Braniff, and UA in the second, and TWA + Northwest in the third.

Terminal C was originally planned to open in 1976/77. When it opened, AA and NA would have moved over from B, and NW would have moved over from A.

FlyingSquirrel3
Topic Author

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:47 am

Thanks for the info and the map!

I think the old North Terminal was used for International Arrivals after B opened, since A & B did not (originally) have FIS facilities. Since C was apparently designed as an international terminal from the start, I expected there'd be carriers there of the likes of Pan Am.

Was it after People Express took over the North Terminal that EWR built a "temporary" FIS in B? This was before the more permanent one was built between the second and third B concourses. Of course, People Express eventually built their own International Arrivals facility (that "lone gate" where the third concourse was to be?)

727LOVER

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:56 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
For Terminal A, I think it was UA in the first concourse, PI, Braniff, and UA in the second, and TWA + Northwest in the third.

Yes...TWA & Northwest were together

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEWARK-NEW-JER ... Swys5WUkeQ
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

ltbewr

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:02 pm

An interesting side story was the use of EWR's A & B terminals in commercials including for Hertz Rent-a-Car with OJ Simpson in the 1970's and into the early 1980's.

727LOVER

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:22 pm

ltbewr wrote:
An interesting side story was the use of EWR's A & B terminals in commercials including for Hertz Rent-a-Car with OJ Simpson in the 1970's and into the early 1980's.

THESE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z_VpVaPLWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo0MIUrrNpc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4LECXW_MQY
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos