Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
globalwings
Topic Author
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:35 am

Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:16 pm

Does anyone know if there are any further detail (stories, video, film, etc.) of this event when the British Airways Concorde was at MEM?

https://memphislibrary.contentdm.oclc.o ... 5/id/1031/

Why was Memphis selected as a landing spot? Where else did the promotional tour fly through?

Does anyone have any other videos or articles of unique aircraft that have flown through there? For example, apparently the AN-255 has been through MEM but no video or details of the visit seem to exist. Would local news of that city not have written or talked about this since it was more recent (2007) than the 1979 Concorde visit?

https://www.bertling.com/news-archive-2 ... les-agent/

Only a few pictures seem to exist: https://www.instagram.com/p/4WvX53QnSv/
 
ATLgaUSA
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:58 am

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:35 pm

They used to do a lot of charters with the Concorde. It is likely it did a charter flight to every medium and large airport in the US.
 
User avatar
Pudelhund
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:06 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:39 pm

I know it has also been to CMH.
 
SkyVoice
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:58 pm

Pudelhund wrote:
I know it has also been to CMH.


. . . and CVG. In fact, I remember that the Concorde was to fly over the house of a friend of mine while it (the plane, not the house!) was on final into CVG. He was working in his basement. His wife set their scanner to all of CVG's approach frequencies. She let him know that the Concorde was getting close enough to see when she heard the pilot's British accent!
"Tough times never last. Tough people do." - Dr. Robert H. Schuller
 
membase
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:31 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:27 pm

globalwings wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any further detail (stories, video, film, etc.) of this event when the British Airways Concorde was at MEM?

https://memphislibrary.contentdm.oclc.o ... 5/id/1031/

Why was Memphis selected as a landing spot? Where else did the promotional tour fly through?

Does anyone have any other videos or articles of unique aircraft that have flown through there? For example, apparently the AN-255 has been through MEM but no video or details of the visit seem to exist. Would local news of that city not have written or talked about this since it was more recent (2007) than the 1979 Concorde visit?

https://www.bertling.com/news-archive-2 ... les-agent/

Only a few pictures seem to exist: https://www.instagram.com/p/4WvX53QnSv/


I saw the AN-225 when it was here - it parked on the cargo ramp off of Swinnea Rd. It was shuttling transformers or some other kind of power equipment over to the Middle East from a plant down in N. Mississippi. I recall it made more multiple visits around that time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/perspectivephotography/2683592739
 
braniff2hav
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:08 pm

Was very likely part of a promtional tour put on by Braniff International who co-oped the service and Memphis was a fairly 'significant' city for BN.
I suspect that's the occassion in the year of 1979. The charters operated by BA were done by a travel agency out of St. Louis and yes - as mentioned above many mid-size markets saw the Concorde land to operate a London travel package that included return transportation to the US aboard the QE 2 or commerical air of another kind from London. Those packages came about in the late 80's through the late 90's.
 
IAHWorldflyer
Posts: 897
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:08 pm

Since it was a promotional tour, and it was in 1979, might it have something to do with Braniff International? It was around that year that Braniff started an interchange flying the Concorde using Braniff crews from DFW to IAD, from where either BA or AF crews flew on to LHR or Paris. It was not very successful, as the following year fuel prices shot up and it became uneconomical to fly Concorde sub-sonic between DFW and IAD.
Anyway, this might have been some sort of promotion by Braniff, as the MEM station had several flights at time.
 
cedarjet
Posts: 8910
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 1:12 am

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:11 am

Conc definitely did a tour of southern cities to promote Braniff’s SST service from DFW to IAD (and on to either CDG or LHR depending on the day of the week). Lubbock, Memphis, Austin etc all received a visit.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz
 
69bug
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:28 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:22 am

This was the time where the aircraft needed to have a 'temporary' US reg pasted on for the JFK-DFW vv sectors to allow Braniff/US pilots to fly the aircraft?

bug
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 13756
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:44 am

The info box on this vid makes it sound as though Concorde hadn't begun US service in 1979..... it would've already had scheduled ops for 3yrs at that point.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
User avatar
pwm2txlhopper
Posts: 1489
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:40 am

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:17 pm

Concorde came to JAN, too, during mid to late 1980s. Don’t remember if it was AF or BA.
 
User avatar
United_fan
Posts: 6691
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 11:11 am

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:40 pm

Came to ROC in '95 for the Ryder Cup.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"
 
User avatar
tjwgrr
Posts: 2538
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2000 4:09 am

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:02 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
They used to do a lot of charters with the Concorde. It is likely it did a charter flight to every medium and large airport in the US.


SkyVoice wrote:
. . . and CVG. In fact, I remember that the Concorde was to fly over the house of a friend of mine while it (the plane, not the house!) was on final into CVG. He was working in his basement. His wife set their scanner to all of CVG's approach frequencies. She let him know that the Concorde was getting close enough to see when she heard the pilot's British accent!



I'm surprised Concorde purists haven't jumped in yet...... It's Concorde, not the Concorde. :tongue2:
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.
 
71Zulu
Posts: 1932
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:42 am

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:17 pm

MSY twice in the 80's, once I think was '86, can't remember the other. They even did a 2-hour adventure flight out and back over the Gulf.


Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
 
User avatar
NameOmitted
Posts: 970
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:24 pm

Was a Concorde ever actually painted in Braniff livery, or are those pictures (old school) photoshopped advertisements?
 
User avatar
NameOmitted
Posts: 970
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:32 pm

While I'm in the subject, Braniff operated a British Air bird between New York and Dallas. Is this sort of corporation still legality workable?

Could, as an example, Quntas fly into San Francisco and have a US partner fly the aircraft with continuing service to Denver?
 
WA707atMSP
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:33 pm

FedEx considered leasing a Concorde, to fly high priority documents across the Atlantic faster than they could be flown on subsonic aircraft.
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:37 pm

Concorde came to AVL in 1987 for a charter trip and was actually snowed in overnight. Check out my avi.
 
membase
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:31 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:41 pm

Concorde also visited BNA around 1986-87. I saw it from the parking lot of a high school just north of the airport and it did a circle around the area before landing one afternoon.
 
Cdydatzigs
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 3:31 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:46 pm

In 1988, a Concorde also made a stop at Brown Field (SDM) southeast of San Diego during the Space America '88 airshow. This is footage of it taking off:

https://youtu.be/7DBj5TYmOPU
 
N649DL
Posts: 1115
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:50 pm

IIRC, the Concorde been diverted to EWR from JFK on occasion. Charters on them were actually somewhat common to the Caribbean back in the 1980s.
 
LINYUSA
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:47 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:14 am

tjwgrr wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:
They used to do a lot of charters with the Concorde. It is likely it did a charter flight to every medium and large airport in the US.


SkyVoice wrote:
. . . and CVG. In fact, I remember that the Concorde was to fly over the house of a friend of mine while it (the plane, not the house!) was on final into CVG. He was working in his basement. His wife set their scanner to all of CVG's approach frequencies. She let him know that the Concorde was getting close enough to see when she heard the pilot's British accent!



I'm surprised Concorde purists haven't jumped in yet...... It's Concorde, not the Concorde. :tongue2:


Sorry, but in standard American English it is "the Concorde". Perhaps this usage emphasizes the aircraft's uniqueness. In British English I believe one says simply "Concorde".

Cheers. :smile:
 
tnair1974
Posts: 324
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:59 am

Besides Memphis and Nashville, I recall Concorde also visited Little Rock, Louisville, Indianapolis, even Lexington (LEX). I've seen a pic of a British Airways Concorde in the background seconds after lifting off from LEX with, appropriately, a horse in the foreground. No word on how the horse's hearing faired after Concorde passed overhead! :)
 
EWRamp
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:46 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:02 am

N649DL wrote:
IIRC, the Concorde been diverted to EWR from JFK on occasion. Charters on them were actually somewhat common to the Caribbean back in the 1980s.


AF had scheduled Concorde service to EWR. Continental used to handle the ground service
 
N649DL
Posts: 1115
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:06 am

EWRamp wrote:
N649DL wrote:
IIRC, the Concorde been diverted to EWR from JFK on occasion. Charters on them were actually somewhat common to the Caribbean back in the 1980s.


AF had scheduled Concorde service to EWR. Continental used to handle the ground service


Are you serious? When was this?
 
cedarjet
Posts: 8910
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 1:12 am

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:56 am

NameOmitted wrote:
While I'm in the subject, Braniff operated a British Air bird between New York and Dallas. Is this sort of corporation still legality workable?

Could, as an example, Quntas fly into San Francisco and have a US partner fly the aircraft with continuing service to Denver?

British Airways, not British Air
Washington Dulles, not New York
Qantas, not Quntas
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:11 am

NameOmitted wrote:
Was a Concorde ever actually painted in Braniff livery, or are those pictures (old school) photoshopped advertisements?


Just promotional artworks created by design agencies as far as I know. The only 'real' dual livery painted on was the BA/Singapore Airlines effort on G-BOAD. There was of course the early promotional tour scheme compromising of the old pre 'bar-code' Air France livery and British Airways Negus on either side.
 
NickWebb
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:10 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:29 am

SkyVoice wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:
I know it has also been to CMH.


. . . and CVG. In fact, I remember that the Concorde was to fly over the house of a friend of mine while it (the plane, not the house!) was on final into CVG. He was working in his basement. His wife set their scanner to all of CVG's approach frequencies. She let him know that the Concorde was getting close enough to see when she heard the pilot's British accent!


FYI, there's no such thing as a British accent, it's English and everyone else has the accents!! - (don't take this too seriously!!!!) also FYI I got married on Concorde at the Brooklands Museum!
[photoid][/photoid]/Users/nickwebb/Desktop/FullSizeRender.jpg
 
slcguy
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:09 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:35 am

The Concorde also visited SLC in 1979 as part of the Braniff promotional tour. Braniff had just started their 727 service SLC-DEN-DFW at the time which only lasted a couple of years before they went under..
 
EWRamp
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:46 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:01 pm

N649DL wrote:
EWRamp wrote:
N649DL wrote:
IIRC, the Concorde been diverted to EWR from JFK on occasion. Charters on them were actually somewhat common to the Caribbean back in the 1980s.


AF had scheduled Concorde service to EWR. Continental used to handle the ground service


Are you serious? When was this?


I dont have exact dates since it was before my time. But I've seen pictures of it parked at gate C106. The old timers on the ramp told me about it.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 5115
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:36 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
Since it was a promotional tour, and it was in 1979, might it have something to do with Braniff International? It was around that year that Braniff started an interchange flying the Concorde using Braniff crews from DFW to IAD, from where either BA or AF crews flew on to LHR or Paris. It was not very successful, as the following year fuel prices shot up and it became uneconomical to fly Concorde sub-sonic between DFW and IAD.
Anyway, this might have been some sort of promotion by Braniff, as the MEM station had several flights at time.


Not very successful is an understatement - loads as low as 20%!!!

https://travelupdate.com/braniff-concorde/

That also mentions the huge fuel cost increase. Such a shame it didn't work out, but cool that it happened at all!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
User avatar
NameOmitted
Posts: 970
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:38 am

cedarjet wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:
While I'm in the subject, Braniff operated a British Air bird between New York and Dallas. Is this sort of corporation still legality workable?

Could, as an example, Quntas fly into San Francisco and have a US partner fly the aircraft with continuing service to Denver?

British Airways, not British Air
Washington Dulles, not New York
Qantas, not Quntas

Well... As long as you got to feel superior to someone, at least i can say my post was useful.
 
n2dru
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:02 am

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:33 am

I remember the Concorde visiting ATL in the 80s (around 85 or 87) when I was in elementary school. I remember the field trip to the airport to watch it land and takeoff. It was during the winter so it was cold but I was fascinated watching this magnificent plane land.
 
axiom
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:34 am

Here’s a cool series of pics of Concorde at TPA in 85. https://twitter.com/flytpa/status/10199 ... 10021?s=21
 
GDB
Posts: 14114
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:30 am

Your destinations/charter questions answered;
http://www.concordesst.com/history/destinations.html

And where BN fit into the story;
http://www.concordesst.com/history/events/braniff.html

As part of the work I did just after the type's retirement, with the BA Engineering Concorde archives, a Braniff Concorde flight manual was found, as well as drawings for the short lived idea for Fed Ex to convert a frame for high speed packages. Not that were any spare airframes once BA and AF topped up their own initial orders in 1979/80, around the same time.
 
vc10
Posts: 1436
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2001 4:13 am

Re: Concorde at Memphis - 1979

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:08 pm

And where BN fit into the story;
http://www.concordesst.com/history/events/braniff.html

I have to disagree with the statement made in that article , as I seem to remember it that the Braniff crews were only taught to fly the aircraft at subsonic speeds and had special check list which omitted any supersonic items . This made the conversion coarse both quicker and cheaper. So as not to deprive the BN crews of experiencing supersonic flight a supersonic flight was arranged for them out of Montpelier around the Med,, but this was with a a French Captain flying and a British/French Flight engineer.in attendance. Also a trans Atlantic look see as they were called flight was given by BA to the crews , but this was strictly observing

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos