Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
wxman11
Topic Author
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:33 pm

SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:05 pm

Hello folks,

Due to the strong winds into SFO, they're landing on Runway 01R. Anybody out there to get some good video footage???

Current metar as of now:
KSFO 091756Z 01030G36KT 10SM FEW200 13/M01 A3003 RMK AO2 PK WND 35036/1739
 
barney captain
Posts: 2336
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2001 5:47 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:13 pm

That's always a great show - watching a UA 747 do it was impressive.
Southeast Of Disorder
 
ucdtim17
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:15 pm

Diverts from OAK to SMF and SJC so far
 
modesto2
Posts: 2727
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2000 3:44 am

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:02 pm

Always exciting when SFO operates the circle-to-land 1R approaches. Does anyone have a copy of the RNAV Visual 1R approach?
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:54 pm

Landed on 1R on UA 777 a few years ago. That final bank over Millbrae and across 101 is amazing.

Btw - saw a few of the planes headed to 1R over my neighborhood today, but haven’t seen any in the last 15 mins. Maybe they flipped back.
 
zuckie13
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:41 pm

modesto2 wrote:
Always exciting when SFO operates the circle-to-land 1R approaches. Does anyone have a copy of the RNAV Visual 1R approach?


There probably isn't an RNAV for 1R at all (Don't see on on airnav). They'd be on an approach to 28L and be cleared to circle to land on 1R.
 
BravoOne
Posts: 4094
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:48 pm

Its been a long time since I have done the visual to 01R but as I recall you would turn a downwind between Foster City and Cyote Point, the do your base inside of the 280 Freeway. Minium required power to keep the noise down. Was a lot of fun.
 
CriticalPoint
Posts: 1036
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:07 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
modesto2 wrote:
Always exciting when SFO operates the circle-to-land 1R approaches. Does anyone have a copy of the RNAV Visual 1R approach?


There probably isn't an RNAV for 1R at all (Don't see on on airnav). They'd be on an approach to 28L and be cleared to circle to land on 1R.



There is one it’s the same as the 28R RNAV except at ARCHE you hang a left.
 
User avatar
UPlog
Posts: 556
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 am

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:16 pm

Of course with this configuration the airport has a reduced hourly rate of 30 movements, so the FAA has a nationwide delay program averaging 83 minutes.
I fly your boxes
 
bradyj23
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:24 am

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:16 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Its been a long time since I have done the visual to 01R but as I recall you would turn a downwind between Foster City and Cyote Point, the do your base inside of the 280 Freeway. Minium required power to keep the noise down. Was a lot of fun.


Great approach. I was able to do it once and its a lot of fun. If I remember correctly, due to the terrain you had 2 choices. Either turn in close inside the freeway and have a short final but normal descent or go out farther over the hills and have a much steeper approach. I won't forget the day I got to do it. Post flight walk around allowed me to watch 2 United 747's and a 777 perform the maneuver.
 
hooverman
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:21 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
zuckie13 wrote:
modesto2 wrote:
Always exciting when SFO operates the circle-to-land 1R approaches. Does anyone have a copy of the RNAV Visual 1R approach?


There probably isn't an RNAV for 1R at all (Don't see on on airnav). They'd be on an approach to 28L and be cleared to circle to land on 1R.



There is one it’s the same as the 28R RNAV except at ARCHE you hang a left.


I can't find a chart for this runway anywhere.
 
mandargb
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2001 8:00 am

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:24 pm

I think they all 1R approach, till 12.20 PM local time.
I think at 12.30 there was 28 depature to asia also.
After 12.30, that heavies were landing 28 and rest were landing 1R.
For example China Airlines, Qantas came in on 28.
Most departures were 1R/L.
 
User avatar
wxman11
Topic Author
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:30 pm

Still landing runway 1R. Seen a few foreign carriers land 28R. Only UA widebody so far landing on 1R.
No RNAV chart for 1R exist. Its RNAV 28L and at AXMUL circle to land runway 1R.
 
atsiang
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:44 pm

I'm glad this was posted! I must get out to SFO now.

I captured this landing a few years ago...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIIxAIWFM90
 
modesto2
Posts: 2727
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2000 3:44 am

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:47 pm

Update: Confirmed with my friend who’s a UA 737 driver that a RNAV Visual 1R exists. He just showed me the chart which includes AXMUL, KEPLR, KLAUS, and SQIRL. Learn something new everyday!
 
canyonblue17
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:22 am

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:48 pm

Anything like the old Kai Tak checkerboard approach??
negative ghostrider the pattern is full
 
CriticalPoint
Posts: 1036
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:49 pm

hooverman wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
zuckie13 wrote:

There probably isn't an RNAV for 1R at all (Don't see on on airnav). They'd be on an approach to 28L and be cleared to circle to land on 1R.



There is one it’s the same as the 28R RNAV except at ARCHE you hang a left.


I can't find a chart for this runway anywhere.


Just looked again and it’s a United Airlines tailored RNAV so you would not see it unless you worked for United. Sorry for the confusion.

I also misspoke your hang a left at AXMUL
 
BravoOne
Posts: 4094
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:02 pm

I'll be 9 times out of 10, the NORCAL simply asks you if you have the airport/runway insight and then clears you for the visual 01R. It's been a long time so I maybe wrong. It does ahve a little of the old VHHH flavor but nothing would compare to that one and since the weather is typically clear and a hundred miles, that component is also missing. I have never seen this approach done at night so that could make it a little more challenging for sure.
 
User avatar
wxman11
Topic Author
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:12 pm

modesto2 wrote:
Update: Confirmed with my friend who’s a UA 737 driver that a RNAV Visual 1R exists. He just showed me the chart which includes AXMUL, KEPLR, KLAUS, and SQIRL. Learn something new everyday!

Its probably a tailor made chart for a specific airline like the FMS 28R visual. I would love to see the chart.
 
User avatar
KLMatSJC
Posts: 662
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 am

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:05 am

atsiang wrote:
I'm glad this was posted! I must get out to SFO now.

I captured this landing a few years ago...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIIxAIWFM90

I was at Bayfront Park for a few hours that day. Even with 4 layers, I ended up getting sick for a week because of that wind.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood
 
mandargb
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2001 8:00 am

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:16 am

Is top of BART/Caltrain (Milbrae) garage a good spotting location on such days ?
 
User avatar
wxman11
Topic Author
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:20 am

mandargb wrote:
Is top of BART/Caltrain (Milbrae) garage a good spotting location on such days ?

Good spot indeed.
 
atsiang
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:29 am

mandargb wrote:
Is top of BART/Caltrain (Milbrae) garage a good spotting location on such days ?


There are a bunch of folks on the top of the garage now. But within the past 10 mins it seems that landings has shifted back to 28s.
 
User avatar
KLMatSJC
Posts: 662
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 am

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:37 am

mandargb wrote:
Is top of BART/Caltrain (Milbrae) garage a good spotting location on such days ?

Yes, it's not bad.

Looks like it finally ended. Frontier 2147 was the last flight in at 16:24. Total of 5 hours, 48 minutes of Runway 1 landings. Very cool to see it for so long!
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:34 am

Do the controllers or pilots typically have much of an opinion about landings on 1R? Since it reduces arrivals to 30/hr I’m sure controllers prefer 28 L/R
 
adipasqu
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:43 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
Do the controllers or pilots typically have much of an opinion about landings on 1R? Since it reduces arrivals to 30/hr I’m sure controllers prefer 28 L/R


From an ATC point of view, it is the option of last resort as it screws everything up so bad from a AAR and Departures point of view as they still happen on the 01's as well, and the taxiways are now not configured ideally with the new EMAS installs at the beginnings of the 01's, so gate holds are more prevalent in these situations, too. However, if you ask any of the pilots out there, as I was chatting with one at the top of the Millbrae BART garage today, they would probably jump at any chance to "Circle to land on the 01's" The one I was chatting with, who drives a bus for United out of SFO, said if it weren't for the fact he was still on vacation, he'd be looking to pick up a quick turn down to LA and back just for the chance as it is so rare. I asked him if if he was the PNF, would he take the controls away from his FO for the landing, he said absolutely!
707 712 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 773 D9S D10 319 320 321 332 M80 M82 M83 M87 M88 M90 SF3 ERJ CRJ
 
CriticalPoint
Posts: 1036
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:52 am

adipasqu wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
Do the controllers or pilots typically have much of an opinion about landings on 1R? Since it reduces arrivals to 30/hr I’m sure controllers prefer 28 L/R


From an ATC point of view, it is the option of last resort as it screws everything up so bad from a AAR and Departures point of view as they still happen on the 01's as well, and the taxiways are now not configured ideally with the new EMAS installs at the beginnings of the 01's, so gate holds are more prevalent in these situations, too. However, if you ask any of the pilots out there, as I was chatting with one at the top of the Millbrae BART garage today, they would probably jump at any chance to "Circle to land on the 01's" The one I was chatting with, who drives a bus for United out of SFO, said if it weren't for the fact he was still on vacation, he'd be looking to pick up a quick turn down to LA and back just for the chance as it is so rare. I asked him if if he was the PNF, would he take the controls away from his FO for the landing, he said absolutely!


Agreed! I would love to fly that approach with a 787!! I also love the expressway visual the river visual and the kenarsy.
 
adipasqu
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:02 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
Agreed! I would love to fly that approach with a 787!! I also love the expressway visual the river visual and the kenarsy.


A United 789 made the 01 Visual approach while I was there today and we were all in awe. It was so graceful!!! Wingflex was stunning! A little later an Eva Air 773 made the approach and it was pure power. Sadly I missed the BA 744 earlier in the day.
707 712 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 773 D9S D10 319 320 321 332 M80 M82 M83 M87 M88 M90 SF3 ERJ CRJ
 
CriticalPoint
Posts: 1036
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:16 am

adipasqu wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
Agreed! I would love to fly that approach with a 787!! I also love the expressway visual the river visual and the kenarsy.


A United 789 made the 01 Visual approach while I was there today and we were all in awe. It was so graceful!!! Wingflex was stunning! A little later an Eva Air 773 made the approach and it was pure power. Sadly I missed the BA 744 earlier in the day.


Super jealous of that 789 crew.....
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 21812
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:30 am

It was crazy. I was swimming in a pool surrounded by a building on three sides and tall trees on the fourth and I was getting pushed by the wind while I was in the water.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
User avatar
wxman11
Topic Author
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:04 am

1). Hopefully tomorrow is just as windy as today
2). Hopefully someone is willing to do a live youtube video,
3). Would have loved to see the EK 380 land on 1R.

Overall, today was a fun day to see these rare landings. I think they were landing at least an hour or more before I started this post. For ATC, I would rather deal with the delay to see these landings than to have a on-time arr/dep and I'm sure for the pax. You got to be on those TAFs.

All we need now is for the wx conds to be right to see some landings on the 10's. I got my very good spot picked out for when it happens.
 
adipasqu
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:19 am

wxman11 wrote:
All we need now is for the wx conds to be right to see some landings on the 10's. I got my very good spot picked out for when it happens.


The 10's are more common than you think. All it takes is a good stout wind out of the east or a storm that has already passed over SFO. I have been on flights where the 10's have been the actives. Nothing too exciting...other than the fact everything feels backwards from the usual 28's.
707 712 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 773 D9S D10 319 320 321 332 M80 M82 M83 M87 M88 M90 SF3 ERJ CRJ
 
atsiang
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:55 am

adipasqu wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
Agreed! I would love to fly that approach with a 787!! I also love the expressway visual the river visual and the kenarsy.


A United 789 made the 01 Visual approach while I was there today and we were all in awe. It was so graceful!!! Wingflex was stunning! A little later an Eva Air 773 made the approach and it was pure power. Sadly I missed the BA 744 earlier in the day.


Bummed I missed all the widebodies. :( Only captured all the narrowbodies coming in during the last hour of runway 1 ops.
 
catiii
Posts: 3515
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:18 am

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:55 am

I flew in today from ZRH on LX38 (a773). Initially I thought we were lined up for 28L but then we made a Kai Tak like circling approach to 1R.

The pilot flying made a very nice landing too.
 
Wingtips56
Posts: 1271
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 am

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:24 am

Of course OO/UA Express took it in the shorts today. Lots of big delays and cancellations.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC
 
atsiang
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:27 pm

So after seeing this thread, I jumped into my car and off to SFO I went and captured a few of the landings from the top of the BART station parking lot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c45u29eKFg&t=5s
What an awesome time! Could even smell the kerosene fuel from the planes with the wind blowing from the east to the west!
 
as739x
Posts: 5209
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:23 am

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:41 pm

catiii wrote:
I flew in today from ZRH on LX38 (a773). Initially I thought we were lined up for 28L but then we made a Kai Tak like circling approach to 1R.

The pilot flying made a very nice landing too.


If you have Instagram, "b_777_300er" has a great video of the landing of your flight!
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"
 
adipasqu
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:26 pm

https://www.sfgate.com/weather/article/ ... 044585.php

Scary close? I think not. Safe and under control? Yes! These are professionals folks showing their skills as well trained pilots. It was very cool after leaving Millbrae BART north on 101 to see an American Airlines jet across my review mirror as it landed on the 01's. Definitely not something you see very often!
707 712 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 773 D9S D10 319 320 321 332 M80 M82 M83 M87 M88 M90 SF3 ERJ CRJ
 
strfyr51
Posts: 4899
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:33 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
Landed on 1R on UA 777 a few years ago. That final bank over Millbrae and across 101 is amazing.

Btw - saw a few of the planes headed to 1R over my neighborhood today, but haven’t seen any in the last 15 mins. Maybe they flipped back.

That's a landing I've seen and wished I was on an airplane that did it. Right down Millbrae Ave.
 
777-500er
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 1999 11:43 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:31 pm

I was on UA949 from London yesterday. We landed on 1R. Spectacular experience.
 
adipasqu
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:37 pm

777-500er wrote:
I was on UA949 from London yesterday. We landed on 1R. Spectacular experience.


Did the pilot make any special announcement about the unique approach or that you were in for something special?
707 712 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 773 D9S D10 319 320 321 332 M80 M82 M83 M87 M88 M90 SF3 ERJ CRJ
 
ukoverlander
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:49 am

Looks like there is some You Tube footage posted from yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c45u29eKFg
 
rnav2dlrey
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:10 am

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:53 am

catiii wrote:
I flew in today from ZRH on LX38 (a773). Initially I thought we were lined up for 28L but then we made a Kai Tak like circling approach to 1R.

The pilot flying made a very nice landing too.


here you are: https://www.instagram.com/p/B8X3PmeBThQ/
 
Norcal773
Posts: 1059
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:19 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:07 am

catiii wrote:
I flew in today from ZRH on LX38 (a773). Initially I thought we were lined up for 28L but then we made a Kai Tak like circling approach to 1R.

The pilot flying made a very nice landing too.


I saw a video on IG of LX38 landing and man, it was spectacular.

Listing to ATC yesterday, a few pilots confirmed they were using RNAV landing on 1R. I don't remember if it was UA flights only but I did hear it a few times. I was too far to drive to SFO to see this but would have loved to.

Another cool SFO thing is 19s take off. Was lucky enough back in 2007 to be part of one from the upper deck of a JAL 747. Lifted off QUICK, immediately hang a left and made a 270 degree turn towards the Pacific. That was amazing but too bad weather was Sh*t and couldn't see much after liftoff.
If you're going through hell, keep going
 
rnav2dlrey
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:10 am

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:12 am

rnav2dlrey wrote:
catiii wrote:
I flew in today from ZRH on LX38 (a773). Initially I thought we were lined up for 28L but then we made a Kai Tak like circling approach to 1R.

The pilot flying made a very nice landing too.


here you are: https://www.instagram.com/p/B8X3PmeBThQ/


ETA video from another angle: https://twitter.com/rob_tjader/status/1 ... 7690436608
 
User avatar
wxman11
Topic Author
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:03 pm

For those interested, here is an example of the RNAV visual 1R. Took some googling but lucky to find it.

https://i.imgur.com/mj0RD0m.png
 
atsiang
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:53 pm

This got me thinking, is there any other resources besides Flightaware or Flightradar24 to be informed of different ops at SFO? If I had known planes were landing on the 1s, I would have jumped to go to SFO earlier in the day.
 
phatfarmlines
Posts: 1519
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:06 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:20 pm

wxman11 wrote:
For those interested, here is an example of the RNAV visual 1R. Took some googling but lucky to find it.

https://i.imgur.com/mj0RD0m.png


Fascinating. How is there no missed approach procedure? Also, what is that 14 degree track to the left of SQIRL intersection?
 
timz
Posts: 6582
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 1999 7:43 am

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:13 am

adipasqu wrote:
The 10's are more common than you think.

Plenty of winter takeoffs from runways 10, of course, but landings on runways 10 are rarer than landings on runways 1.
 
atsiang
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Re: SFO landing Rwy 01R today

Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:32 am

timz wrote:
adipasqu wrote:
The 10's are more common than you think.

Plenty of winter takeoffs from runways 10, of course, but landings on runways 10 are rarer than landings on runways 1.


As long as I've been in the Bay Area for 30 years, my impression is that landings on the 1s are more rare than landings on the 10s. Planes will land on the 10s when we get a nice weather system with a low pressure gradient that blow wind from the southeast direction. However, it's very very rare that wind will blow in the direction forcing planes to land on the 1s.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos