Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

globalwings
Topic Author

Airbus - blended wing aircraft code name Maveric

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:25 am

Airbus has reportedly shown a 'blended wing body' plane design after secret flight tests. Does anyone have a photo or rendering of what this aircraft looks like?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sing ... SKBN20509H

Ishrion

Re: Airbus - blended wing aircraft code name Maveric

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:36 am

globalwings wrote:
Airbus has reportedly shown a 'blended wing body' plane design after secret flight tests. Does anyone have a photo or rendering of what this aircraft looks like?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sing ... SKBN20509H

https://www.business-live.co.uk/manufac ... n=sharebar

rigo

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:40 am

To hell with this. I won't be flying on anything that does not have windows (not screens).

Yonderlust

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:45 am

rigo wrote:
To hell with this. I won't be flying on anything that does not have windows (not screens).

Exactly! And we thought 10 across was bad...LOL

UPS757Pilot

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:04 am

Good for freight.

many321

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:10 am

Interesting to see they've been secretive about its test flights. Who knows if it's viable though it would be lovely if this is where Airbus is heading now to compete with Boeing and, finally push Boeing to innovate at the same time.

M564038

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:25 am

I would never fly on anything that have Windows.
Not even Boeing have windows, and they are from Seattle!
rigo wrote:

alberchico

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:33 am

Yonderlust wrote:
rigo wrote:

You do realize that on most flights, even those taking place during daylight hours, flight attendants will insist that the window shades stay closed for almost the entire trip so people can sleep and watch the seatback entertainment. So. In a way we're already flying in dark windowless tubes.
Last edited by alberchico on Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Noshow

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:38 am

It seems to have cockpit windows so it has a pilot or two?

tommy1808

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:50 am

Yonderlust wrote:
rigo wrote:

No one thought 10 abreast is bad ....people love the A380.

I don't get why people car about windows on long haul flying....

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Bealine251

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:54 am

Still has a Racoon mask. Start with a blank piece of paper, draw the mask and the rest of the design follows!!. Looks good

LaunchDetected

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:57 am

tommy1808 wrote:
I don't get why people car about windows on long haul flying....

If you don't understand the pleasure of looking through the window when flying above 30000 ft, maybe you are on the wrong forum.

The main downside with this design from a passenger perspective could be during turns, side passengers are far from the center axis.
Caravelle lover

kalvado

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:04 am

rigo wrote:

Would you fly across the ocean on anything that has less than 3 engines?
You may equally get out of options in both cases at some point.

I also enjoy windows - and try to get shady side window seat if I can - but this is really an option for 10-20% of passengers on most flights. So majority flies without window access anyway... And people like you and me maybe out of luck after all.

MrBren

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:07 am

rigo wrote:

The MAX has some windows :white:

calstanford

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:25 am

kalvado wrote:
rigo wrote:

I also enjoy windows - and try to get shady side window seat if I can - but this is really an option for 10-20% of passengers on most flights. So majority flies without window access anyway... And people like you and me maybe out of luck after all.

Please give an example of any seating configuration where only 10% of people get a window seat. Minimum I could find was 20%.

In an A380/777/747 3-4-3 20% get window seats
In an A350/777 3-3-3 22.2% get window seats
In an A330 2-3-2 28.6% get window seats
In an A320/737 33.3% get window seats
In an A220 40% get window seats
In an ERJ/CRJ 50% get window seats

And that's in Economy!
In PremEcon/Business/First the percentages are much higher even.

What am I missing here?

kalvado

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:32 am

calstanford wrote:
kalvado wrote:
rigo wrote:

Please give an example of any seating configuration where only 10% of people get a window seat. Minimum I could find was 20%.

In an A380/777/747 3-4-3 20% get window seats
In an A350/777 3-3-3 22.2% get window seats
In an A330 2-3-2 28.6% get window seats
In an A320/737 33.3% get window seats
In an A220 40% get window seats
In an ERJ/CRJ 50% get window seats

And that's in Economy!
In PremEcon/Business/First the percentages are much higher even.

What am I missing here?

You are missing the word "shadow".
Bright sun shining into the window is the common reason shades are kept closed

afgeneral

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:33 am

alberchico wrote:
Yonderlust wrote:
rigo wrote:

You do realize that on most flights, even those taking place during daylight hours, flight attendants will insist that the window shades stay closed for almost the entire trip so people can sleep and watch the seatback entertainment. So. In a way we're already flying in dark windowless tubes.

I've had 0 occasions of FAs asking passengers to close window shades in the past ~150 flights I've been on as a passenger.

NonTechAvLover

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:42 am

alberchico wrote:
Yonderlust wrote:
rigo wrote:

I do not realize this, I have been a Senator on Lufthansa for four or five years in a row and I fly a bunch of other airlines regularly, so in a good (meaning not too much travel) month, I fly four-five times. In the last 20 years, I may have been asked to close my shade twice and I politely said no each time, including sunrise flights. I always get window seats on TATL and 80-90% of the time on shorter flights.

I read these kinds of comments and start doubting whether or not the last 20 years of my life happened or I am in the matrix.

Amiga500

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:43 am

LaunchDetected wrote:
The main downside with this design from a passenger perspective could be during turns, side passengers are far from the center axis.

Bingo.

Along with evac - and of course pressurising the thing.

But if the latter two can be worked around with design, the first is intrinsic to the concept. How do you avoid passengers falling ill as a result of manoeuvres?

kalvado

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:55 am

Amiga500 wrote:
LaunchDetected wrote:

Bingo.

But if the latter two can be worked around with design, the first is intrinsic to the concept. How do you avoid passengers falling ill as a result of manoeuvres?

How bad the effect really is? I had 2 back to back flights in 777 and 737, both in window seat, and didn't really notice any difference which should be a factor of 2. 20 abreast bwb would be another factor of 2 compared to 777, and I wonder if it would be that bad.

TMccrury

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:57 am

It seems that KLM has been working on one as well or funding someone who is and it doesn't look like the one from Airbus. Here is a link from Sam Chui on Youtube as well as a link from Flight Global about it.

https://youtu.be/cZJzD7bhE_Y

https://www.flightglobal.com/programmes ... 42.article

LaunchDetected

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:59 am

TMccrury wrote:
It seems that KLM has been working on one as well or funding someone who is and it doesn't look like the one from Airbus. Here is a link from Sam Chui on Youtube as well as a link from Flight Global about it.

It's more an engineering project for TU Delft students than a real, commercial, project. + PR stunt for KLM
Caravelle lover

pasen

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:18 am

gloom

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:23 am

kalvado wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
LaunchDetected wrote:

Bingo.

How bad the effect really is?

I would think it's not as bad as some people think. We already have a long planes in X axis (forward-back), some as long as 80m. It means there are passengers as far as about 30m from CoL, and they are moving up and down during all maneuvres, from takeoff (rotation) to climb adjustments, to descend and landing, and also during turbulence which often raises/lowers nose. Did you hear much about people compleining of that? I haven't.
So, why do you think it would be much worse in Y axis (wing to wing)?

Cheers,
Adam

VV

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:27 am

Do they put the vertical fins on the nacelle?
That's interesting because I wouldn't do it.

kurtverbose

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:37 am

Never mind the windows, what is interesting about this is they talk about it as a narrow body replacement. All blended wing ideas that I've seen so far have been very big planes. I didn't know a blended design could work in small sizes?

Also, this is the problem with Boeing's NSA - some really innovative designs will be reaching maturity quite soon after an NSA would be market ready. it's the reason Airbus went the NEO route with the A320.

Also, how do you do an A319, A320, A321? Tubes are comparatively easy to stretch.

JonesNL

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:55 am

pasen wrote:

Interestingly they are showing an render with 3-3|3-3 setup | being pillars in the middle, which makes it a 12 abreast in full economy. To replace the 320 it would have around 192 pax with 16 rows. Quite a short and wide bird. They are talking about 20% improvement just with the design. I am imagining they will get 10-15% with a new generation engine. An improvement of 30-35% would be need to warrant the premium of introducing a completely new type and probably the higher cost of a new clean sheet.

And I agree about putting the vertical fins on a nacelle, but it is a concept and I am guessing that is one of the first things to disappear in the final version.

Noshow

Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:04 am

The tail looks strange, twin DC-10 style. They use the engine diameter for additional horizontal stabilizer length.

YouGeeElWhy

Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:45 am

pasen wrote:
Aww, such a cute little toy, lol. Wake me up when the grown-up version comes out with all of the BWB problems solved.

Amiga500

Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:50 am

gloom wrote:
I would think it's not as bad as some people think. We already have a long planes in X axis (forward-back), some as long as 80m. It means there are passengers as far as about 30m from CoL, and they are moving up and down during all maneuvres, from takeoff (rotation) to climb adjustments, to descend and landing, and also during turbulence which often raises/lowers nose. Did you hear much about people compleining of that? I haven't.
So, why do you think it would be much worse in Y axis (wing to wing)?

Cheers,
Adam

Hmm, I never thought of it like that - that's actually a very good point you make.

A moderate reduction in the target roll rate for the pilots (along with FBW tuning accordingly) might make it quite manageable.

planecane

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:03 am

Didn't Boeing show this concept like 15 years ago and do some flight tests with a scale model?

Not saying a BWB will never happen but the concept isn't exactly speeding towards production.

IIRC, one of the biggest issues with the concept (besides evac) is the movement experienced by the passengers in the outboard seats when in a bank.

PepeTheFrog

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:07 am

rigo wrote:

They can make fake windows on the inside, then camera's project the outside on the fake windows.

You won't notice the difference.
Good moaning!

keesje

A bit of PR Greenwashing, https://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/greenwashing.asp spending R&D money, something usefull might get out of it. we are really commited to sustainability.. while growing air traffic 5% / yr.

Meanwhile typical BWB challenges remain (flat heavy pressure vessels, emergency evacuation requirements, stretching/ capacity customization, passenger accelaration in turns, yawing.

The engine configuration on this concept would be certified as single engine. (one uncontained engine failure taking out the other).

A few years back during NMA discussion I cut and pasted what Boeing is doing, and even so proved overly optimistic. Airbus does the same..

Last edited by keesje on Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

PepeTheFrog

planecane wrote:
Didn't Boeing show this concept like 15 years ago and do some flight tests with a scale model?

Not saying a BWB will never happen but the concept isn't exactly speeding towards production.

IIRC, one of the biggest issues with the concept (besides evac) is the movement experienced by the passengers in the outboard seats when in a bank.

Indeed.

I would love to see the cabin of this aircraft.
Good moaning!

rigo

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:11 am

PepeTheFrog wrote:
rigo wrote:

They can make fake windows on the the inside, then camera's project the outside on the fake windows.

That's the strawman once used by Tim Clark but it's nonsense. Seeing something with my own eyes as opposed to watching it on a tv screen makes all the difference in the world. Especially a tv screen interrupted every two minutes by announcements and ads.

axelesgg

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:28 am

afgeneral wrote:
alberchico wrote:
Yonderlust wrote:

I've had 0 occasions of FAs asking passengers to close window shades in the past ~150 flights I've been on as a passenger.

As a passenger they asked us once to take down the window shades, it was in Greece in the summer in a MD80. This was to stop the sun to warm up the cabin while being on ground.
Fly Draganair

T4thH

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:55 pm

Seems to be part of one of the many EU Clean Sky programs I and/or II. This will be just part of the fundamental research programs, so just do not get silly. -> again: fundamental research, not production line.

Just remind, EU CS programs:
Clean Sky one is ongoing (few programs) since 12 years with an annual budget of 1.6 billion € (of course, not any more, it will be closed soon)
Clean Sky two, started 2014, annual budget of 4 billion € .
Clean Sky three will start in 01-Jan-2021, I do not know the planned annual budget, but it is already approved.

You are aware of the Clean Sky BLADE (Breakthrough Laminar Aircraft Demonstrator in Europe) demonstrator? The A340?

many321

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:14 pm

kurtverbose wrote:
Never mind the windows, what is interesting about this is they talk about it as a narrow body replacement. All blended wing ideas that I've seen so far have been very big planes. I didn't know a blended design could work in small sizes?

Also, this is the problem with Boeing's NSA - some really innovative designs will be reaching maturity quite soon after an NSA would be market ready. it's the reason Airbus went the NEO route with the A320.

If this is what Airbus is going with to compete with Boeing's NSA/FSA, I hope Boeing dusts off its BWB designs, start doing studies again. Better to be on top of it than getting caught off guard when Airbus produces a viable BWB and the airlines start booking orders for it.

Amiga500

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:31 pm

The BWB makes less sense for a single aisle replacement and more for a large aircraft / cargo aircraft.

yabeweb

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:08 pm

Amiga500 wrote:
LaunchDetected wrote:

Bingo.

I would have a solution for the last one!
Something that mimic this.
https://physics.stackexchange.com/quest ... -toy-works

Or the plane could be flatter, so the cargo fit on the instead of people...

WesternDC6B

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:12 pm

Yonderlust wrote:
rigo wrote:

787s with “Nurse Diesel” chief stews already make it so there are - effectively - no windows.
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

SteelChair

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:14 pm

Won't need a raccoon mask or cockpit windows in the future because there will be no cockpit because there will be no pilot. Singular.

FlyRow

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:19 pm

LaunchDetected wrote:
TMccrury wrote:

It's more an engineering project for TU Delft students than a real, commercial, project. + PR stunt for KLM

I was about to say, that looks a lot like the plane sitting outside the Science Centre Museum in Delft just two blocks from my house.

It's nearly this exact plane in KLM branding.

Last edited by FlyRow on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

morrisond

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:20 pm

I would be happy with no windows with a nice big screen in front of me linked to Mulitple Camera's outside that can give you a view of what is around the aircraft (like a 360 back up Camera) and allows you to point to things on the screen and zoom in.

The should be totally doable with today's tech and 4K camera's.

planecane

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:29 pm

morrisond wrote:
I would be happy with no windows with a nice big screen in front of me linked to Mulitple Camera's outside that can give you a view of what is around the aircraft (like a 360 back up Camera) and allows you to point to things on the screen and zoom in.

If you had individual cameras for each passenger with zoom lenses then you can zoom in very clearly. Even with 4k if you just do a digital zoom it isn't going to be great clarity from cruising altitude.

I agree that virtual windows would make that part of a BWB acceptable.

readytotaxi

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:41 pm

I guess the rich people will still be sitting in the front. ;)
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

william

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:43 pm

Airbus and Boeing converging on blended wing as the only way to get the 20% or more gains from a tube and wings. Researching flying wing could also help Airbus's Defense side projects that may include a bomber, or tanker.

itisi

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:51 pm

afgeneral wrote:
alberchico wrote:
Yonderlust wrote:

It's normal on longhaul, I think it's so the pax sleeping time is from where they left but its light outside is not effected. You are NOT allowed to open them or you wake everyone up.
737-300/400/500 ... are NOT classics :)

morrisond

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:52 pm

planecane wrote:
morrisond wrote:

If you had individual cameras for each passenger with zoom lenses then you can zoom in very clearly. Even with 4k if you just do a digital zoom it isn't going to be great clarity from cruising altitude.

I agree that virtual windows would make that part of a BWB acceptable.

I was assuming Digital Zoom - 8K camera's are available now for digital zoom at about 8-10 times(I'm not sure the ratio works like that) at HD res on the screen (which with typical Screen Sizes in Airliners is more than enough). I would assume that by BWB service entry 16K or 32K camera's will be available which could provide some impressive zoom capability.

kyu

Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:01 pm

rigo wrote:
PepeTheFrog wrote:
rigo wrote:

They can make fake windows on the the inside, then camera's project the outside on the fake windows.

That's the strawman once used by Tim Clark but it's nonsense. Seeing something with my own eyes as opposed to watching it on a tv screen makes all the difference in the world. Especially a tv screen interrupted every two minutes by announcements and ads.

Plus, the change in perspective when the position of the eyes moves can hardly be mimicked by the screen. If that's not done, you will notice the difference instantly.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos