Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JetBuddy

Re: Airbus - blended wing aircraft code name Maveric

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:50 pm

Regarding aircraft roll and G-forces, I don't think that will be much of a problem. Because the outer parts of the blended wing will likely be fuel tanks. So the passenger / cargo area is not stretching across the entire width of the plane. And the increased G-forces of the pax sitting near the outer edge could be mitigated by banking more slowly into and out of turns. With a fully fly-by-wire aircraft, it's not that difficult to implement. Even on older planes you can adjust this.

Elementalism

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:04 pm

Flying model is great. But lets also remember. At that scale people have a flying lawnmower.

IMO I think the biggest issues will be evacuation. Windows also provide a reference to the outside world during an evacuation. They are more than just for looking at the scenary.

Taxi645

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:55 pm

gloom wrote:
kalvado wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:

Bingo.

Along with evac - and of course pressurising the thing.

But if the latter two can be worked around with design, the first is intrinsic to the concept. How do you avoid passengers falling ill as a result of manoeuvres?

How bad the effect really is?

I would think it's not as bad as some people think. We already have a long planes in X axis (forward-back), some as long as 80m. It means there are passengers as far as about 30m from CoL, and they are moving up and down during all maneuvres, from takeoff (rotation) to climb adjustments, to descend and landing, and also during turbulence which often raises/lowers nose. Did you hear much about people compleining of that? I haven't.
So, why do you think it would be much worse in Y axis (wing to wing)?

Cheers,
Adam

Furthermore one could try to minimize the distance to axis. From outside to inside:

- Fuel
- cargo and MLG
- Bins for the outside seats on the bottom side instead of the sealing
- double decker cabin
Innovation is seeing opportunity before obstacle.

D L X

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:06 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
Regarding aircraft roll and G-forces, I don't think that will be much of a problem. Because the outer parts of the blended wing will likely be fuel tanks. So the passenger / cargo area is not stretching across the entire width of the plane. And the increased G-forces of the pax sitting near the outer edge could be mitigated by banking more slowly into and out of turns. With a fully fly-by-wire aircraft, it's not that difficult to implement. Even on older planes you can adjust this.

Say more.

I definitely notice higher g-loads on my body when flying on an A380, particularly in the upper deck near the back, far from CoG. That's from rolling and pitching, and it's left me queasy on climbout before because they AREN'T violent movements, and my ears and eyes disagree. Even if passengers will not be 30m from the centerline in a BWB, I know that I would feel it being just 12m out (20-abreast) because I feel it already 6m out.

Other questions: how much do you want to limit a pilot's ability to roll the plane? What about turbulence when the plane rolls due to outside forces?

I mean, we are talking about some of the most significant reasons Boeing bailed on running with its own BWB.

Yonderlust

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:14 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Yonderlust wrote:
rigo wrote:
To hell with this. I won't be flying on anything that does not have windows (not screens).

Exactly! And we thought 10 across was bad...LOL

No one thought 10 abreast is bad ....people love the A380.

I don't get why people car about windows on long haul flying....

Best regards
Thomas

10 abreast is often a source of complaining here on a.net and on many other flight blogs. But I was simply trying to bring some levity to the topic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos