User avatar
readytotaxi
Topic Author
Posts: 6941
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:41 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51478329

"A woman who tried to open a passenger plane door mid-flight, prompting two fighter jets to be scrambled, has been jailed for two years."

Good, give this more publicity.

"Jet2 calculated that the incident cost them £86,000, the court was told."

They should go after her for the money.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:55 pm

Ban her for life from flying again to boot
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14611
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:38 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
Ban her for life from flying again to boot


Won’t be going far after released from goal with a criminal record.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
TC957
Posts: 3663
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:40 pm

Jet2 should sue her for the cost, the stupid cow.
 
goosebayguy
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:44 pm

Jet2 have sent her a bill for £85,000 and banned her for life from flying with them.
 
peterinlisbon
Posts: 1645
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:37 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:45 pm

They should have just given her more alcohol. Eventually she would have fallen asleep. That would been cheaper and easier for all concerned.
 
travelsonic
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:49 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
Ban her for life from flying again to boot


* On that airline, absolutely reasonable, but from all flying could be overkill.
 
cedarjet
Posts: 8685
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 1:12 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:01 pm

A Brit who can’t handle their booze and doesn’t know how to behave in public? I’m shocked!!
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:05 pm

travelsonic wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
Ban her for life from flying again to boot


* On that airline, absolutely reasonable, but from all flying could be overkill.


not overkill ... the price for your stupidity
 
F27500
Posts: 755
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:49 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
They should have just given her more alcohol. Eventually she would have fallen asleep. That would been cheaper and easier for all concerned.


Totally agree .. and another thing I learned years ago: never give a drunk coffee. The last thing you want is a wide awake drunk !!
 
TUGMASTER
Posts: 1073
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:56 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:05 pm

cedarjet wrote:
A Brit who can’t handle their booze and doesn’t know how to behave in public? I’m shocked!!


Easy MR Jet..... easy....!
 
art
Posts: 3121
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:46 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:35 pm

cedarjet wrote:
A Brit who can’t handle their booze and doesn’t know how to behave in public? I’m shocked!!


I'm a Brit with hertitage from several other countries. Have lived in other countries, too. I am ashamed of the way in which the Brits get drunk and of how many Brits think it cool.

Pleased she was sent to prison, not for being drunk but for acting in a manner to endanger an aircraft.

Just in case someone replies that she was not responsible because she did not know what she was doing, I studied a bit of English law and in English law if you choose to do something when you are in control of your faculties that you are aware may cause you to lose control of your faculties (eg choose to drink a lot of alcohol), you are held to be responsible for your actions even if you don't know what you are doing at the time (because, for example, you are completely drunk)..
 
Antarius
Posts: 1885
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:41 pm

She's an idiot and deserves the jail and bill.

However
1. You cannot open a plug door in flight. So major overreaction aside, no real danger
2. whoever scrambled RAF jets for this needs a reeducation.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN LAS SJC OAK DEN TXL GDL
 
Nickd92
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:31 pm

Antarius wrote:
She's an idiot and deserves the jail and bill.

However
1. You cannot open a plug door in flight. So major overreaction aside, no real danger
2. whoever scrambled RAF jets for this needs a reeducation.


Believe that point 2. was a mis understanding between ATC and Pilot transmission. Something to do with which door. Confusion arose between ATC and Pilots as pilots said aircraft door and ATC understood that was Flight Deck Door. I don't think they need reeducation, based on the evidence they had in front of them at that time, (and they'll be fairly high up in the RAF/government and experienced of this), a quick decision based on the potential of breach of flight deck door was very justifiable for the RAF scramble. As much as it now seems like very much a knee jerk reaction and overkill ,at that time it was needed. This could of been a very different conversation had it a) been correct and b) the worse had happened.
 
peterinlisbon
Posts: 1645
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:37 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:00 pm

Antarius wrote:
She's an idiot and deserves the jail and bill.

However
1. You cannot open a plug door in flight. So major overreaction aside, no real danger
2. whoever scrambled RAF jets for this needs a reeducation.


I once heard of a guy that tried to prove that you can't break a skyscraper window by running into it. He fell 40 floors to his death. I wouldn't want to try opening one of those doors in flight or be anywhere near someone that did, regardless.
 
USTraveler
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:37 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:51 am

What aircraft type does the RAF scramble there? I'm assuming Typhoons
 
User avatar
American 767
Posts: 4494
Joined: Wed May 19, 1999 7:27 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:08 am

USTraveler wrote:
What aircraft type does the RAF scramble there? I'm assuming Typhoons


Or Tornados.

Anyway, back to the inflight incident. I have heard of other stories of passengers trying to open doors in mid flight but has that really ever happened? I don't think so, maybe it did but not as far as I know. Because I believe that for a long as the cabin is pressurized there is no way one can open a door. When a plane arrives at the gate after a flight, F/As have to wait till the cabin inside the aircraft isn't pressurized anymore, at that point the doors are disarmed and they can open them to let the passengers walk out.
Ben Soriano
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5059
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:45 am

Antarius wrote:
2. whoever scrambled RAF jets for this needs a reeducation.


Don't air forces charge the airline for the cost of the interception in these cases?
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
StdTank80002
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:42 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:51 am

Just to defend us Brits a bit. Most, and I do mean most, Brits also hate it.
 
Antarius
Posts: 1885
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:36 am

Nickd92 wrote:
Antarius wrote:
She's an idiot and deserves the jail and bill.

However
1. You cannot open a plug door in flight. So major overreaction aside, no real danger
2. whoever scrambled RAF jets for this needs a reeducation.


Believe that point 2. was a mis understanding between ATC and Pilot transmission. Something to do with which door. Confusion arose between ATC and Pilots as pilots said aircraft door and ATC understood that was Flight Deck Door. I don't think they need reeducation, based on the evidence they had in front of them at that time, (and they'll be fairly high up in the RAF/government and experienced of this), a quick decision based on the potential of breach of flight deck door was very justifiable for the RAF scramble. As much as it now seems like very much a knee jerk reaction and overkill ,at that time it was needed. This could of been a very different conversation had it a) been correct and b) the worse had happened.


That makes sense.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN LAS SJC OAK DEN TXL GDL
 
Antarius
Posts: 1885
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:44 am

Francoflier wrote:
Antarius wrote:
2. whoever scrambled RAF jets for this needs a reeducation.


Don't air forces charge the airline for the cost of the interception in these cases?


Not sure. It seems to have been a misunderstanding (based on a post above) and a genuine cause for alarm as a result. If I was RAF command, I'd be curious to evaluate the response and see how the protocol, pilots, ground staff etc did.

Its all fine and dandy to have procedures and train on them, but this was the "real deal" in terms of how the RAF responded. Good chance to review and tweak anything for next time if needed.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN LAS SJC OAK DEN TXL GDL
 
hitower3
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:55 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:37 am

Francoflier wrote:

Don't air forces charge the airline for the cost of the interception in these cases?


At least the Austrian Air Force does not send a bill. The cost of the intervention is covered by the Defence budget.

BR Hendric
 
GDB
Posts: 13288
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:22 am

American 767 wrote:
USTraveler wrote:
What aircraft type does the RAF scramble there? I'm assuming Typhoons


Or Tornados.

Anyway, back to the inflight incident. I have heard of other stories of passengers trying to open doors in mid flight but has that really ever happened? I don't think so, maybe it did but not as far as I know. Because I believe that for a long as the cabin is pressurized there is no way one can open a door. When a plane arrives at the gate after a flight, F/As have to wait till the cabin inside the aircraft isn't pressurized anymore, at that point the doors are disarmed and they can open them to let the passengers walk out.


Typhoons, the last Air Defence Tornados left service in 2011, the strike/attack version, not suitable for this task, left service 3 months before this incident. Not that they could have been used since Quick Reaction Alert, which scrambled the aircraft, is done by Typhoons.
And it's pure hindsight to say they should not have been scrambled, what comes out in court not being what was understood at the time. If it is suspected foul play on an aircraft in UK airspace, the procedure is quite clear.

Finally, next time we see a report on a non British drunk/disruptive pax, or some idiot who accidently brought his gun to the airport, or maybe has some mad idea of what creature is their 'comfort pet' or whatever they are called, or some ugly incident with a racial component, be happy to take the piss out the the person's nationality, obvious stereotypes included.
 
GDB
Posts: 13288
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:23 am

Double post
 
Boeing74741R
Posts: 1279
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:44 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:30 pm

JayBCN wrote:
Doesn’t this happen on almost every UK holiday flight?


No. You only hear about it more often lately because Jet2 are actually quite vigorous in enforcing a zero-tolerance attitude towards drunks. If you misbehave due to having too many drinks, you'll be off, taken to court, banned, costs reclaimed and your name plastered all over the media to send a message they will not tolerate it and to reassure the vast majority of their passengers who are sensible and shouldn't have to put up with it that they're on their side.
 
User avatar
DarkSnowyNight
Posts: 2478
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:38 pm

hitower3 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

Don't air forces charge the airline for the cost of the interception in these cases?


At least the Austrian Air Force does not send a bill. The cost of the intervention is covered by the Defence budget.

BR Hendric


This is the best way to handle that. Airlines are already notorious for cutting corners. Do we really need to give them another reason to hesitate if there is a problem that needs this attention? I do think so either.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."
 
Galwayman
Posts: 800
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:51 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:
JayBCN wrote:
Doesn’t this happen on almost every UK holiday flight?


No. You only hear about it more often lately because Jet2 are actually quite vigorous in enforcing a zero-tolerance attitude towards drunks. If you misbehave due to having too many drinks, you'll be off, taken to court, banned, costs reclaimed and your name plastered all over the media to send a message they will not tolerate it and to reassure the vast majority of their passengers who are sensible and shouldn't have to put up with it that they're on their side.



On my recent flights with Jet2 I found the crews to be obnoxious and aggressive . A passenger clearly making a video of his child playing was rudely instructed to not film the crew etc. The cabin crew were clumsy and aggressive throughout and all of them needed basic conflict de-escalation training . I can easily see how they would turn a minor issue into a major issue in an instant
 
User avatar
F737NG
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:12 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:01 pm

JayBCN wrote:
Doesn’t this happen on almost every UK holiday flight?


No, it doesn't.
Here's a list of events:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_air_rage_incidents#2019


StdTank80002 wrote:
Just to defend us Brits a bit. Most, and I do mean most, Brits also hate it.


Yep, the vast majority of us hate it when we hear an accent we easily recognise accompanying drunken and loutish behaviour.
Doesn't mean I'm going to tarnish an entire country's population because of a handful of people.

Other nationalities can have people just as guilty of creating a drunken divert.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/drunk-flight-passenger-american-airlines-video-trousers-police-a9292596.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/united-airlines-violent-passenger-kill-throw-hit-flight-attendant-a9323736.html

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2019/02/28/intoxicated-hawaiian-airlines-traveler-tried-hit-flight-attendant/3021797002/

https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/actor-arrested-changi-airport-allegedly-molesting-stewardess

https://www.thejournal.ie/drunk-russia-flight-4454361-Jan2019/
 
User avatar
mbmbos
Posts: 2890
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 4:16 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:08 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51478329

"A woman who tried to open a passenger plane door mid-flight, prompting two fighter jets to be scrambled, has been jailed for two years."

Good, give this more publicity.

"Jet2 calculated that the incident cost them £86,000, the court was told."

They should go after her for the money.



Two years? Granted, it was a stupid move on her part, but isn't this overreaction? It's not like someone can actually open a plane door at altitude. So what, exactly, is the harm done? Or even potential harm for that matter?
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke
 
Nickd92
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:08 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Boeing74741R wrote:
JayBCN wrote:
Doesn’t this happen on almost every UK holiday flight?


No. You only hear about it more often lately because Jet2 are actually quite vigorous in enforcing a zero-tolerance attitude towards drunks. If you misbehave due to having too many drinks, you'll be off, taken to court, banned, costs reclaimed and your name plastered all over the media to send a message they will not tolerate it and to reassure the vast majority of their passengers who are sensible and shouldn't have to put up with it that they're on their side.



On my recent flights with Jet2 I found the crews to be obnoxious and aggressive . A passenger clearly making a video of his child playing was rudely instructed to not film the crew etc. The cabin crew were clumsy and aggressive throughout and all of them needed basic conflict de-escalation training . I can easily see how they would turn a minor issue into a major issue in an instant


Is that just a one of though? Like i can suspect that would be the case with every airline around Europe. You just catch some crews on an of day and well ... it ruins the reputation. I know, i know all crews on every airline should be on the ball, all the time, however sometimes it just doesn't happen as crews are humans. I'm not by any means trying to defend it just point out the same could have happened on easyJet, TUI, British Airways, Virgin and the list goes on.
 
User avatar
DeltaMD90
Posts: 8718
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:13 pm

I have no idea how this RAF unit's budget for flying and pilot proficiency is set up, but their pilots need to fly ever so often. Good chance that these pilots will have 2.0 or whatever less hours less of training flights, and had they not intercepted this aircraft, they would have flown the same amount regardless, if that makes sense.

A lot of US military units do that... Sometimes there are different "pots of money" but other times, the pilots will fly 15 (or however many) hours a month whether it's doing practice approaches or something more real world

Either way, the airline should not be charged unless (maybe) extreme wrongdoing or negligence by the airline occurs
 
TC957
Posts: 3663
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:18 pm

The RAF had no need to scramble Typhoons for this incident, but more than likely chose to do so for the exercise in ready awareness so that next time if a more serious in-flight incident happened, they are proven up to the task.
Plus it makes for better headlines !
 
Tedd
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:22 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:22 pm

Francoflier wrote:
Antarius wrote:
2. whoever scrambled RAF jets for this needs a reeducation.


Don't air forces charge the airline for the cost of the interception in these cases?


Tornado`s are done.
 
User avatar
vhtje
Posts: 1084
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:28 pm

American 767 wrote:

Anyway, back to the inflight incident. I have heard of other stories of passengers trying to open doors in mid flight but has that really ever happened? I don't think so, maybe it did but not as far as I know..


Didn’t you see the opening scene of the 2000 Charlie’s Angels?

https://youtu.be/AWTyXISxL4M

(Yes, my tongue is firmly in my cheek)
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.
 
User avatar
vhtje
Posts: 1084
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm

mbmbos wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51478329

"A woman who tried to open a passenger plane door mid-flight, prompting two fighter jets to be scrambled, has been jailed for two years."

Good, give this more publicity.

"Jet2 calculated that the incident cost them £86,000, the court was told."

They should go after her for the money.



Two years? Granted, it was a stupid move on her part, but isn't this overreaction? It's not like someone can actually open a plane door at altitude. So what, exactly, is the harm done? Or even potential harm for that matter?


She won’t be in gaol for two years. In all likelihood, she’ll serve less than 12 months then be released on licence for the remainder of her sentence. This dependent upon her showing signs of reform whilst incarcerated, i.e. good behaviour.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.
 
GDB
Posts: 13288
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:55 pm

As this local news report mentions, in the wake of the incident and the Typhoon scramble, it's not really about a bit of extra crew training.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuajcDjgAI0

For training, there are the usual exercises, including right now Typhoons at Red Flag in the US.
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:10 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
travelsonic wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
Ban her for life from flying again to boot


* On that airline, absolutely reasonable, but from all flying could be overkill.


not overkill ... the price for your stupidity


People should be allowed to rehabilitate and learn from their mistakes.
@DadCelo
 
blooc350
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:23 pm

I would have grabbed my Ipad or Laptop and hit her with it if i saw her trying to open the door.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1482
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:14 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
hitower3 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

Don't air forces charge the airline for the cost of the interception in these cases?


At least the Austrian Air Force does not send a bill. The cost of the intervention is covered by the Defence budget.

BR Hendric


This is the best way to handle that. Airlines are already notorious for cutting corners. Do we really need to give them another reason to hesitate if there is a problem that needs this attention? I do think so either.

Come on man, really?
Aviation is most likely the people-moving industry where cutting corners happens the least; try rail and buses, and you'll have a heart attack.
 
User avatar
mbmbos
Posts: 2890
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 4:16 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:43 pm

blooc350 wrote:
I would have grabbed my Ipad or Laptop and hit her with it if i saw her trying to open the door.


But why? I don't believe any cabin door can be opened at altitude. It's doubtful she could cause any harm.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke
 
dangle
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:45 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:23 pm

mbmbos wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51478329

"A woman who tried to open a passenger plane door mid-flight, prompting two fighter jets to be scrambled, has been jailed for two years."

Good, give this more publicity.

"Jet2 calculated that the incident cost them £86,000, the court was told."

They should go after her for the money.



Two years? Granted, it was a stupid move on her part, but isn't this overreaction? It's not like someone can actually open a plane door at altitude. So what, exactly, is the harm done? Or even potential harm for that matter?


Previous reporting indicated that she was already having criminal issues related to drunken behavior in her hometown prior to the air incident, which may have been taken into account during sentencing, perhaps leading to a longer sentence.
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:51 pm

NY POST article

https://nypost.com/2020/02/12/chloe-hai ... plane-door

Anybody know what that thing is on her skull ? It looks like a birds nest ...
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:58 pm

mbmbos wrote:
blooc350 wrote:
I would have grabbed my Ipad or Laptop and hit her with it if i saw her trying to open the door.


But why? I don't believe any cabin door can be opened at altitude. It's doubtful she could cause any harm.


Her actions caused a major disturbance aboard an aircraft, disrupting the flight crew that may be needed for any other emergencies on the aircraft. Her actions caused the plane to be diverted.
 
User avatar
mbmbos
Posts: 2890
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 4:16 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:39 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
mbmbos wrote:
blooc350 wrote:
I would have grabbed my Ipad or Laptop and hit her with it if i saw her trying to open the door.


But why? I don't believe any cabin door can be opened at altitude. It's doubtful she could cause any harm.


Her actions caused a major disturbance aboard an aircraft, disrupting the flight crew that may be needed for any other emergencies on the aircraft. Her actions caused the plane to be diverted.



She created no real harm, no threat of real harm and she's getting a two year sentence?
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke
 
StdTank80002
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:42 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:34 pm

mbmbos wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
mbmbos wrote:

But why? I don't believe any cabin door can be opened at altitude. It's doubtful she could cause any harm.


Her actions caused a major disturbance aboard an aircraft, disrupting the flight crew that may be needed for any other emergencies on the aircraft. Her actions caused the plane to be diverted.



She created no real harm, no threat of real harm and she's getting a two year sentence?


As has been mentioned above. History of alcohol related disturbances didn't count in her favour.
 
User avatar
mbmbos
Posts: 2890
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 4:16 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:36 pm

StdTank80002 wrote:
mbmbos wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:

Her actions caused a major disturbance aboard an aircraft, disrupting the flight crew that may be needed for any other emergencies on the aircraft. Her actions caused the plane to be diverted.



She created no real harm, no threat of real harm and she's getting a two year sentence?


As has been mentioned above. History of alcohol related disturbances didn't count in her favour.



So two years because she's had prior issues? This still sounds like massive overreaction.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke
 
jomur
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:21 pm

mbmbos wrote:
StdTank80002 wrote:
mbmbos wrote:


She created no real harm, no threat of real harm and she's getting a two year sentence?


As has been mentioned above. History of alcohol related disturbances didn't count in her favour.



So two years because she's had prior issues? This still sounds like massive overreaction.


Also a lot people think 2 years is too little.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1482
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:35 pm

mbmbos wrote:
StdTank80002 wrote:
mbmbos wrote:


She created no real harm, no threat of real harm and she's getting a two year sentence?


As has been mentioned above. History of alcohol related disturbances didn't count in her favour.



So two years because she's had prior issues? This still sounds like massive overreaction.

If prior sentences didn't work, maybe 2 years will this time.

She is a repeat offender; what should the judicial system do? "Oh well, it didn't work before, she's a lost cause, let her roam free so she can kill someone on her next drunken rampage"???
 
Nickd92
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:44 pm

mbmbos wrote:
StdTank80002 wrote:
mbmbos wrote:


She created no real harm, no threat of real harm and she's getting a two year sentence?


As has been mentioned above. History of alcohol related disturbances didn't count in her favour.



So two years because she's had prior issues? This still sounds like massive overreaction.


She endangered an aircraft and put the lives of the customers and crew at risk. If there had been a heart attack on board whilst this mad cow was doing what she was doing what priority would be given to each of them?

Two years is not enough. 10 years, with the bill from Jet2, and a £50,000 bill from the government for the RAF scramble would set the bar.
 
ShamrockBoi330
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:28 am

Re: Jet2 drunk passenger jailed.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:52 pm

mbmbos wrote:
StdTank80002 wrote:
mbmbos wrote:


She created no real harm, no threat of real harm and she's getting a two year sentence?


As has been mentioned above. History of alcohol related disturbances didn't count in her favour.



So two years because she's had prior issues? This still sounds like massive overreaction.


"scratched a crew member as she lunged at the passenger door aboard the Jet2 flight from London to Dalaman, Turkey, in June 2019.

“I’m going to f–king kill everyone!” the unhinged woman screamed at the 206 people on board."


Soooooooooo what you do think is sufficient?

2 yrs (lenient) plus the diversion and RAF bill seems fair to me!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos