Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

usflyer msp

Re: AA to make SEA an INT hub/launches SEA-BLR in Oct 20/AS to join OneWorld

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:36 pm

I'm gonna guess SEA-BLR means LAX-China flights are not coming back.

BN727227Ultra

Re: American to launch SEA-BLR flights in Oct 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:36 pm

ual763 wrote:
Well that’s going to piss Delta off! Good for AA! Never would have dreamed this happening in a thousand years.

Competition. TBH, I was expecting an AA/AS merger but this is all one could expect given AA's debt.

Adipocere

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:37 pm

I am shocked at what happened on the India side. I can’t think of any other major airline that flies to BLR that already doesn’t fly to BOM and DEL. It’s shocking that AA bypassed India’s Tier 1 cities in DEL, BOM, CCU and MAA and went straight to BLR. MAA is southern India’s premier gateway city and has been shockingly bypassed. I hope AA knows it’s geography with this plan..
Last edited by Adipocere on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Osubuckeyes

I would not be surprised at all to see SEA-SYD on AA or QF relatively soon.

yussefo

seatback wrote:
Glad to hear! Will AA re-open their SEA crew base?

According to corporate communication, no. These flights will be crewed with flight attendants and pilots from other existing bases, but they have still not mentioned which. My personal guess? LAX or PHX.

AWACSooner

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:38 pm

alfa164 wrote:

I think DL's aversion to any 787 is coming back to bite them.

Good...they never should've canx'd NW's original order in the first place.

KlimaBXsst

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Platinum’s and Gold’s are probably kicking their feet in the air and counting their miles!
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

Osubuckeyes

raylee67 wrote:
Apparently targeting the tech sector. Good and bold move by AA. Delta has been struggling to get the trans-Pac routes up from SEA. AA may have better luck with AS behind it.

What would it do to AS's partnership with non-OW carriers? such as EK, SQ, etc.?

What Trans-Pac routes have they been struggling with? My understanding is that they don't really have any capacity to add anymore longhaul at the current time. The only blip they've had is HKG, and while disappointing isn't all that surprising given their history in the market.

Sightseer

Like many others, I had to double-check to be sure it wasn't April Fool's, especially regarding SEA-BLR. I know it's been talked about a lot on a-net but have never seen any O&D numbers. My guess is they're banking on connections from AS, but that leads me to ...

enilria wrote:
The REAL QUESTION is what happened with this??? The aviation market now is even less competitive than 2016.

>>>2016: Justice Department Requires Alaska Airlines to Significantly Scale Back Codeshare Agreement with American Airlines in Order to Proceed with Virgin America Acquisition

Settlement Ensures that Alaska Will Have Incentive and Ability to Vigorously Compete with Larger Airlines

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice- ... -agreement

Exactly what I was thinking as well.

luckyone

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:41 pm

I’ll be curious to see if this changes how one books international flights—will I be able to book these through AS directly or will it stay the same and I book through AA and give my AS number?

Somewhat unrelated, I was initially irritated when they announced they were going to be cooperating less, but consoled myself with the idea that my South American flying would now be on the more comfortable Delta—now I’m going to miss the more comfortable Delta but it helps to have my miles on AS.

BigGSFO

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:41 pm

Osubuckeyes wrote:
I would not be surprised at all to see SEA-SYD on AA or QF relatively soon.

I was thinking the same thing, probably on QF. I'd also expect to see a return of SEA-HEL and possibly SEA-MAD. This will definitely help boost PDX-LHR when it launches this year too.

MAH4546

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:43 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

They are absolutely unrelated. And this expanded partnership will also specifically include additional cooperation and codesharing out of LAX.
a.

yussefo

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:44 pm

USAirALB wrote:
I thought it was April Fool's Day for a moment. Wow. Just wow. I literally almost just s**t my pants on the Metro reading this right now.

So many questions:

-Why did AS/AA reverse some of their partnership benefits/FF program devaluation, only to reverse course now? How long has this been in the making?
-What is the future of LAX with this announcement? "Serving India nonstop from LAX is impossible with our current fleet?"
-Is DP still at the controls? Seems to bold for his leadership style.
-What happens to AS's mileage based FF program?

If anything these flights will essentially be "Alaska Airlines International operated by American Airlines".

From all of your questions, the only one AA has answered via e-mails is question number two:

-What is the future of LAX with this announcement? "Serving India nonstop from LAX is impossible with our current fleet?"
"LAX is a critical hub from AA and this will actually strengthen our presence at LAX. Because we're expanding our codeshare with AS to include international routes our of both LAX and SEA we have a better value proposition for frequent fliers."
"It's physically impossible with weight restrictions from LAX with our current fleet. The benefit from flying from SEA is that it's the only market where you can fly a 787-9 and carry enough passengers to make it financially viable.

toltommy

Re: AA to make SEA an INT hub/new codeshare with AS and LHR and India

BNAMealer wrote:
Finally, AA woke up and realized they need AS.

For as hard and as long as Alaska tried to stay out of an alliance, I think it was AS who decided they needed AA. Nonetheless, it's definitely good for both carriers.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333 / 707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753
/762/763/764/772/788/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440 /700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

Cointrin330

MAH4546 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

They are absolutely unrelated. And this expanded partnership will also specifically include additional cooperation and codesharing out of LAX.

Agree. No relation at all. Plus, AA has 20+ more 787's on order with some deliveries this year.

Midwestindy

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:49 pm

AA will now have a large presence in so many major metros: NYC, LA, DC, Chi, Philly, BOS, MIA, Bay Area, Dallas, PHX, SEA, the only ones really missing are ATL & HOU

From a domestic corporate travel perspective, AA now will have the best domestic network IMO.....
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

axiom

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:50 pm

Sightseer wrote:
Like many others, I had to double-check to be sure it wasn't April Fool's, especially regarding SEA-BLR. I know it's been talked about a lot on a-net but have never seen any O&D numbers. My guess is they're banking on connections from AS, but that leads me to ... see

enilria wrote:
The REAL QUESTION is what happened with this??? The aviation market now is even less competitive than 2016.

>>>2016: Justice Department Requires Alaska Airlines to Significantly Scale Back Codeshare Agreement with American Airlines in Order to Proceed with Virgin America Acquisition

Settlement Ensures that Alaska Will Have Incentive and Ability to Vigorously Compete with Larger Airlines

Make that three of us. What changed?

NameOmitted

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:51 pm

axiom wrote:
Sightseer wrote:
Like many others, I had to double-check to be sure it wasn't April Fool's, especially regarding SEA-BLR. I know it's been talked about a lot on a-net but have never seen any O&D numbers. My guess is they're banking on connections from AS, but that leads me to ... see

enilria wrote:

Presidential administrations, for one.

usflyer msp

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:52 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Agree. No relation at all. Plus, AA has 20+ more 787's on order with some deliveries this year.

I don't know about that. SEA-BLR will need 2.5 frames. The new 787's are basically replacing the 763's one for one. I don't see how AA gets airframe time for this route without cutting elsewhere.

ABEguy

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:55 pm

Adipocere wrote:
I am shocked at what happened on the India side. I can’t think of any other major airline that flies to BLR that already doesn’t fly to BOM and DEL. It’s shocking that AA bypassed India’s Tier 1 cities in DEL, BOM, CCU and MAA and went straight to BLR. MAA is southern India’s premier gateway city and has been shockingly bypassed. I hope AA knows it’s geography with this plan..

Right. Vasu Raja, president of network planning at AA doesn’t know the geography of India.

MAH4546

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:56 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

I don't know about that. SEA-BLR will need 2.5 frames. The new 787's are basically replacing the 763's one for one. I don't see how AA gets airframe time for this route without cutting elsewhere.

Have you seen how many 787s AA has been flying to Hawaii and Cancun during the winter off season? Not to mention it continues to receive more 787s and there is nothing forcing 763s to be retired if AA wants them to stick a little longer.
Last edited by MAH4546 on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a.

dtw2hyd

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:56 pm

Congratulations AA. Definitely a surprise to many including DL. It would be interesting to see what happens to SEA-DXB loads.

On a lighter note, Mr.Bezos and Mr.Nadella and their employees can skip New Delhi. ;) ;)
Last edited by dtw2hyd on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All posts are just opinions.

sand26391

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:57 pm

Adipocere wrote:

MAA doesnt provide the yields and also the numbers on the US west coast-MAA sector are not as high as BLR- US west coast passengers.
The growth on the SEA-BLR market has been around 8%-10% YoY from past 2-3 years wrt pax numbers.
Also you have to see that the corporate travel btw these 2 cities are quiet high, so it makes sense to add BLR rather than MAA or CCU(which is not even on any US airline's radar).
Dont worry though, in case of diversions at BLR, the AA's B789 will most likely land in MAA.

Cointrin330

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:57 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

The 787 fleet had some slack even before the PVG/PEK suspensions and are used on some hub to hub flights and to some leisure destinations (seasonally) like CUN.

HNLSLCPDX

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:58 pm

I’ll probably be switching all my flying from DL to AS now. This partnership with AA is huge.

ABEguy

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:01 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Actually 40+. The 20 (8’s) will start this year. After those are delivered, the next 20+ (9’s) will start.
Last edited by ABEguy on Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cschleic

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:02 pm

luckyone wrote:
I’ll be curious to see if this changes how one books international flights—will I be able to book these through AS directly or will it stay the same and I book through AA and give my AS number?

Somewhat unrelated, I was initially irritated when they announced they were going to be cooperating less, but consoled myself with the idea that my South American flying would now be on the more comfortable Delta—now I’m going to miss the more comfortable Delta but it helps to have my miles on AS.

Good points and the kind of thing I've wrestled with as a regular AS flyer. One other question...will the AS mileage plan eventually change to more $ based like other carriers?

Regarding the BLR discussion...many others fly to the other large Indian cities which can require three flights to get to BLR. This will provide two-flight access from a lot of U.S. tech cities to BLR, and non-stop from all the tech companies in the Puget Sound area.
Last edited by cschleic on Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HPRamper

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:03 pm

I have a hard time listening to the naysayers saying it should have been HYD instead of BLR. You know Microsoft isn't the only company in the Seattle metro, right? BLR is the tech capital of India and arguably all of Asia, and Boeing, Amazon, Microsoft and Google all have facilities in the Bengalaru region. Maybe from LAX it wouldn't have been the best choice, but from SEA in my opinion BLR was the correct market to nail down.

MIflyer12

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:05 pm

axiom wrote:
Sightseer wrote:

enilria wrote:

I don't see how this changes the 2016 settlement that permitted the AS/VX merger. That has restrictions on codeshares: Specifically, in order to reduce Alaska’s overall dependence on the codeshare and limit Alaska’s incentives to cooperate with American, the proposed settlement prohibits Alaska and American from codesharing on routes where Virgin and American compete today and on routes where Alaska would otherwise be likely to launch new service in competition with American following the merger.

I've read the AA press release and don't see how two new routes make SEA an AA international hub, either: that's not a claim made by AA. AA uses the word gateway. DL can claim IND as a gateway to Europe via its single flight to CDG.

Emperortim21

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:06 pm

As someone who is moving from the NW to the NE and travels both domestically and internationally, I have been wondering where I was going to take my status to, guess it's not moving now.

KlimaBXsst

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:10 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
I’ll probably be switching all my flying from DL to AS now. This partnership with AA is huge.

I think you will probably see many frequent flyers doing this.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

deltaffindfw

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:10 pm

On the Tell Me Why podcast, Vasu said that BLR is the #1 destination that they see for AA travelers. Also, the only city in the US that the 789 can fly without decent payload restrictions is SEA. So, this works for them. He also said that you will see incremental international growth from SEA and LAX because of this.

From an anti-trust concern, the DOJ agreement basically said that AA and AS could not codeshare on competing routes or routes that could be considered a near term add by either carrier. I doubt AA would start domestic feed from smaller/mid cities to SEA, so they can codeshare there. AS is not going to start longhaul intl from SEA, so they can codeshare there also.

RvA

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:11 pm

I like the “This is retaliation for X” comments. This isn’t a game, retaliation isn’t the right word. They see an opportunity, have a strategy in place and just moved to execution. This isn’t being done because of LA/DL or anybody else. This may have well been on the cards anyway. This is being done because they see a business opportunity plain and simple.

adi00654

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:12 pm

Adipocere wrote:

FYKI,BLR has already surpassed MAA long ago and it's now the south India's premier gateway.It relatively has more pax numbers and third leading airport in India.BLR is a tier 1 city.

Next in the lot UA SFO-BLR.

MAH4546

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:13 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
axiom wrote:
Sightseer wrote:

I don't see how this changes the 2016 settlement that permitted the AS/VX merger. That has restrictions on codeshares: Specifically, in order to reduce Alaska’s overall dependence on the codeshare and limit Alaska’s incentives to cooperate with American, the proposed settlement prohibits Alaska and American from codesharing on routes where Virgin and American compete today and on routes where Alaska would otherwise be likely to launch new service in competition with American following the merger.

I've read the AA press release and don't see how two new routes make SEA an AA international hub, either: that's not a claim made by AA. AA uses the word gateway. DL can claim IND as a gateway to Europe via its single flight to CDG.

I think people forget that these DOT “settlements” are voluntary and not legally enforceable, although AA/AS will need to seek and be granted approval for any new codesharing and DOT will evaluate from there.
a.

Boston757

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:14 pm

yussefo wrote:
seatback wrote:
Glad to hear! Will AA re-open their SEA crew base?

According to corporate communication, no. These flights will be crewed with flight attendants and pilots from other existing bases, but they have still not mentioned which. My personal guess? LAX or PHX.

If they decide not to make it a FA base it would be a satellite base from LAX or SFO but most likely LAX. Reason being the mother base and the satellite must be on the same time zone. LAX FA base is between 2,300 to 2,400 fas and they have a big support there.
Last edited by Boston757 on Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LCDFlight

Re: AS to join OneWorld / AA to make SEA an Intl gateway

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:14 pm

Clash of the titans. I love it. Totally constructive move. AA plus AS will be a truly formidable domestic alliance. They will help each other out. Plus, AS needs intl feed, SEA is ripe for it, and AA could use an intl base on the west coast. Allowing AS to feed that is perfectly fine - AS is happy to do it and DL doesn't make money doing that at SEA anyhow.

BNAMealer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:17 pm

toltommy wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
Finally, AA woke up and realized they need AS.

For as hard and as long as Alaska tried to stay out of an alliance, I think it was AS who decided they needed AA. Nonetheless, it's definitely good for both carriers.

Agreed, but AA is really weak in the western US. Their PHX hub isn't nearly as good geographically and scale wise as UA/DEN and DL/SLC and their TPAC hub is in the ultra-competitive LAX. They needed to do something to address it and this is a step towards that. So I would say they both needed each other.

Now the question is, is this a first step towards an eventual merger down the road?

FATFlyer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:18 pm

flyfresno wrote:
This may be getting overlooked, but isn't this also making SFO a OneWorld hub too?

AS currently is 2nd at SFO with 13% of traffic, AA is 3rd with 8%. Then there are the various OW partners.

UA has about 44% of the SFO market.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

Boston757

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:18 pm

SEA trips will be crewed by existing base-just in from the head of AA Fa's flight Service.

Seat1F

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:19 pm

* Not the least bit surprised with AS joining Oneworld. AS always seemed like an orphan needing a family. Now they will have one.
* Look for B6 to join an alliance now too. Could be Oneworld or Star. B6 is also an orphan in need of a larger family.
* I am surprised with the BLR announcement.

blrsea

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:20 pm

Wow, that came out of the blue! Never expected BLR-SEA non-stop for next 5 years at least. Always expected SEA-BOM and SEA-DEL to start first. If AA starts SEA-BOM and SEA-DEL soon, that will seriously give EK a run for their money on their SEA-DXB service!

747megatop

Re: American to launch SEA-BLR flights in Oct 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:22 pm

budgetflyer wrote:
http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/Alaska-Airlines-American-Airlines-Announce-New-West-Coast-International-Alliance-Alaskas-West-Coast-Network-to-Connect-With-Americans-Long-Haul-Flying-to-Create-More-Choice-for-Travelers-NET-ALP/default.aspx

Related to the news of AS joining OW, quite a shock!

London will also follow in 2021

Speaking of shock everything is a shock
1) AA making SEA an international hub (when DL is already there).
2) AA announcing a non stop to BLR from SEA!! (both the origin and destination are surprises).
3) AS joining oneworld!!

BNAMealer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:23 pm

Another thing I just thought of, with AS joining OW, will this mean AS moves all of their DAL flights to DFW?

SonaSounds

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:28 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
This may be getting overlooked, but isn't this also making SFO a OneWorld hub too?

AS currently is 2nd at SFO with 13% of traffic, AA is 3rd with 8%. Then there are the various OW partners.

UA has about 44% of the SFO market.

Last I looked United was 45% of SFO....this mean oneworld will be 21%+ or nearly half of United. Wonder if you will see AA try to do longhaul flying from SFO :shock:

RDUDDJI

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:29 pm

SEA-BLR?! AA's management is worse than I thought.

Boof02671 wrote:
Tristar787 wrote:
Interesting development. I can’t imagine DL being thrilled about this. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them find a slot at LHR to launch RDU-LHR as a response. But congrats to AS/AA! SEA is definitely busting at the seams at the moment waiting for the expansion to wrap up.

AA’s RDU-LHR Flight has huge corporate contracts especially from GSK which buys seats on every flight.

GSK's RDU area operation is a fraction of what it used to be 10 years ago. No doubt they still benefit from this flight, but they are certainly not why it's flown. FWIW every single flight flown (US carriers anyway) has contracts even if they aren't market specific (i.e. USPS contracts, hasset, other cargo companies, etc).
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

ER757

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:29 pm

Wow, this is HUGE news and like a lot of us, I didn't see it coming.
Just a few random thoughts
The BLR flight will definitely siphon some passengers away from EK and SQ, both of whom take a good number of passengers who connect to India.
As an AS mileage plan member, I'm looking forward to the possibilities
I am curious about the LHR flight. That market is already well served by BA and VS (and DY seasonally). I don't see that there are the passenger numbers to make another flight viable. But I am not a fleet planner and AA has undoubtedly done due diligence. We shall see.
I think once AS joins One World, a SEA/SYD flight on QF will soon follow. SEA has been on QF's short list for new destinations for a while now.
Longer term, I am wondering if AA plans to expand their long-haul presence here and take on DL head to head to some Asian destinations.
That new IAF construction at SEA can't finish up soon enough

CPS001

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:32 pm

adi00654 wrote:
Adipocere wrote:

FYKI,BLR has already surpassed MAA long ago and it's now the south India's premier gateway.It relatively has more pax numbers and third leading airport in India.BLR is a tier 1 city.

Next in the lot UA SFO-BLR.

In terms of numbers, BLR is #5 in international pax, behind MAA and even COK. Not saying that international isn't growing, but it will be a few years before they overtake MAA at #3. Most of the growth is due to IndiGo's hub.

That being said, congrats to BLR and a refreshing change to BOM/DEL for US flights.
Last edited by CPS001 on Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbpdx

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:35 pm

So American will now compete against British Airways on SEA-LHR?
^

cschleic

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:35 pm

RvA wrote:
I like the “This is retaliation for X” comments. This isn’t a game, retaliation isn’t the right word. They see an opportunity, have a strategy in place and just moved to execution. This isn’t being done because of LA/DL or anybody else. This may have well been on the cards anyway. This is being done because they see a business opportunity plain and simple.

Exactly. Let's see....DL scooped up South America access with Latam so AA will retaliate by....codesharing and feed from a Pacific Northwest focused carrier and adding a flight to India. Those aren't very related. And it's certainly an opportunity for AS as they are more and more at risk without the benefits of an alliance. As for LHR...maybe BA ends up adjusting its frequencies since it has more than one daily flight to SEA.
Last edited by cschleic on Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.