jagraham

Re: Passenger repeatedly punches back of reclined seat

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:59 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Kno wrote:
Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? Nobody is forcing anything upon this guy - there are plenty of options for buying more space and ways to get a better seat on virtually every flight.

Do you realise how ridiculous you sound? I am 6'5" and heavily built, and I can't afford to fly better than economy. (When I flew LGW-MCO on VS I had to pay a not unsubstantial fee just to upgrade the three of us travelling to economy seats with about 2 more inches of leg room, which was a lifesaver for a flight that long)

Why should taller people have to pay through the nose just to not be in pain? My knees already dig into the seat in front in standard economy seats, if that person decides to recline I lose my kneecaps.

Most of the new economy seats hinge above the seat bottom. When the passenger reclines, that passenger loses legroom. But the reclined seat does still stick some into the space of the passenger behind.

The solution would be to give those non-recline seats a couple inches more pitch. Although I am not sure that would have satisfied this puncher . .

N867DA

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:05 am

There will always be two very controversial opinions on a.net:

- I have the window seat, and I have the right to keep the window shade open even if it's bright daylight the entire flight. If you want to sleep, buy eyeshades. Not my problem.

- My seat is designed to recline, and I don't care if you're 6'4. I'm reclining my seat. If you're too poor to buy more seat pitch, suck it up or stay home.

I keep the shade up as often as I can, and never recline.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

ACDC8

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:07 am

Love threads like these. The entitled preaching to the entitled
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:14 am

Are we sure that is coach? Hard to tell from that video the divider behind him doesn't look like the end of plane is it?

Also I feel like economy minus shouldn't recline, there isn't room. Economy plus and first should have a recline.

northstardc4m

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:16 am

Being 6'4 I hate recliners... But I also avoid them as much as I can by booking exit row or book extra leg room seats.

It is though really just an annoyance 95% of the time. Seats in economy don't really recline that much. I will admit to a couple times being passive aggressive with the air vent when people have tried to be annoying about it ( headphones on ignore everyone types). Or forcing myself up and going to the bathroom more than I needed to... But... I would never pound on the back of a seat for it. The other 5% of the time I'll ask to move if it makes it to uncomfortable... Or I will grit and bare it if there is no other option... But that airline will quickly drop in favorability... Voting with dollars is really the only option.

Really though manspreading is much more annoying to me, or armrest warriors, or "wet mouth" sleepers... Oh and especially unpatented kids kicking seats... Welcome to modern air travel.

But one thing...

It isn't your God given right to recline, nor is it "your" space, it's a luxury provided by the airline. It is your responsibility to use it in a safe and proper manner... Fail to do this and you will be treated accordingly. Anyone who slams their seat back is an ass. Yes... An ass... A complete and total ass. Show some care and respect, and recline slowly, carefully, and don't force it back if it stops before you think it should.

I would actually love to know one thing though..
Someone slams a seat back, does real damage to the person behind, medical bills etc..., the airline will get sued for sure... And probably settle asap... But could the recliner be attached to the lawsuit as well?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

FGITD

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:34 am

[quote="northstardc4m]

But one thing...

It isn't your God given right to recline, nor is it "your" space, it's a luxury provided by the airline. It is your responsibility to use it in a safe and proper manner... Fail to do this and you will be treated accordingly. Anyone who slams their seat back is an ass. Yes... An ass... A complete and total ass. Show some care and respect, and recline slowly, carefully, and don't force it back if it stops before you think it should.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk[/quote]

I'll just be reaching over and taking your dessert off your tray then. After all, much like a reclining seat, you paid for it and are entitled to it, but it isn't "your" dessert, nor is it your God given right to enjoy it. It's a luxury provided by the airline. Anyone who reaches over and takes your dessert is an ass.

I understand your point, and in general I agree, do unto others etc etc. But if you pay for a seat that reclines, you can recline. Nothing is "provided" by the airline unless you work for them or get some comped tickets. Everything else is paid for.

hz747300

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:56 am

LabQuest wrote:
If my seat reclines its going all the way back the second I sit down.

Then back up for taxi and takeoff.

I understand the man's pain, but don't understand the immaturity. On Cathay, they have you put your seat back up for meals then allow you to recline. AA doesn't really serve meals, so I think they will have to better learn to deal with issues like this, or it's going to happen more often. If I were them, I would seriously consider non-reclining seats in economy--it would reduce maintenance costs too.
Keep on truckin'...

Revelation

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:20 am

CPHGuard wrote:
I'm 6'7 and if I'm in an economy seat, the person in front of me cannot recline, without hitting my knees.

On my 200-ish flights I've only experienced problems with reclining passengers in front of me a couple of times, and every time I've been polite, asking if they would mind not reclining their seats, due to hurting my knees.
Every time the other passenger have been kind and not reclined their seat.

If some day I should get into a situation where the passenger in front of me refused, I would simply contact the FA's and ask for their help, since I cannot sit in my seat.

But at the end of the day, you get a long way when you ask nicely, and that come for most situations in life.

I've been in that situation where the dude in front of me reclined, I asked nicely if he would not recline so much since he was crushing my knees, he ignored my request. I called the FA, he ignored her pleas and said he was entitled to recline. Since I was in pain I made sure my knee went right up into his spine to try to get him to be reasonable. I was jamming him for several minutes when the pax next to me noticed and asked me if I would swap seats with her since she was short and didn't mind the dude reclining. I appreciated her intervention and we swapped seats. Also her swapping seats made it hard for me to track down the guy after the flight. I was ready to have words and more, but by the time I got off the plane I couldn't find him.

Bottom line, is if the recliner doesn't want to cooperate, you can't really expect the FA to be able to sort things out.

This problem is only going to increase more and more as airlines feel entitled to extract every penny from passengers and passengers in turn feel entitled to do whatever they can to try to be comfortable in cattle class.

The approach of "just buying more space" would be a fair solution if they priced the extra space proportionally, but they do not, they price it extortionally. Lucky for me I can afford to pay more when I really need to go somewhere and these days quite often I decide to just not go, it's not worth the hassle. I really feel for those who have no choice because they have to go somewhere and they simply can't afford to pay extortive rates for extra space.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

ikramerica

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:45 am

I’m tall myself but never begrudge someone in front reclining. It’s part of flying.

What I can’t oblige is the person behind using my seat as a grab bar to ease their standing up. Especially when they wake me or hit me on the head.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

blueflyer

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:57 am

hz747300 wrote:
I understand the man's pain, but don't understand the immaturity. On Cathay, they have you put your seat back up for meals then allow you to recline. AA doesn't really serve meals, so I think they will have to better learn to deal with issues like this, or it's going to happen more often. If I were them, I would seriously consider non-reclining seats in economy--it would reduce maintenance costs too.

I think change would be long in coming. It's a very dicey proposition for the airlines. Status and frequent flyer miles have made many passengers very loyal, even when they bemoan here and elsewhere that their airline of choice treats them like crap. Any mainline carrier that is considering doing away with reclining seats has to ponder this existential question: if I move first, will it cost me more passengers than it will bring me? Given the passion on both sides of the issue displayed in this thread alone, it is hard to tell. Perhaps the flows may even out. Perhaps not. Either way, I suspect that after one legacy carrier takes the plunge, the other two will follow, but their pace will be dictated by whichever way the net passenger flow goes.

I for one would be one of the passengers that might move. I split my domestic travels more or less equally between two carriers (not necessarily by choice), but if one did away with reclining seats, I *think* I would try harder to concentrate my flying more on one carrier, and not the innovative one.
All Hail King Donald

Thatcher

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:01 am

I wish there were a way to identify the "my right to recline" people and the "why make a miserable situation worse" people once seated. I could recline into the RtR faces quite gleefully, and they wouldn't mind one bit.

But that video - both at fault IMO. The guy is having a tantrum, the woman is 'entitled'.
My former profile name was MooLor

DenverTed

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:04 am

They used to have a smoking and non-smoking section. Just have one side recline and one side non-recline, take your pick.

Wayfarer515

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:09 am

And the USA solution to all things, sue someone and go to therapy:
https://www.tmz.com/2020/02/13/american ... ndant-fbi/

And this my friends, is the reason why American culture is in full decline, I even feel bad for having to post something from TMZ.Yuck!!

MrBretz

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:31 am

I have to share what happened to me about 5 years ago on a 1 1/2 hour flight. I was in the aisle seat in Y on my way to a business meeting. A total stranger on my left was nicely dressed and I assumed she was doing the same. Occupying the 3 seats behind was a mother with 2 children in about the 10 year old range. They were making noise and kicking my seat and my neighbor’s. After we got airborne, I politely stood up and asked the mother behind us if she could please stop the kids from kicking our seats as I was trying to prepare for my meeting. She said she would do her best. A few minutes later the kicking restarted. A few more minutes went by and the well dressed women on my left stood up, put her knees on her seat, and yelled at the mother behind to have her blankly, blank kids stop the kicking and noise. She said she was a mom and would never let her kids act that way. After that, she calmly turned and sat down. There was not a peep from behind us for the rest of the flight. No one videoed this interaction. But the woman got several smiles from her seat mates. I would never have the guts to that.

bennett123

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:18 am

If you are going to recline, why not tell me first, do it slowly or both.

If you respond neither, is it a deliberate assault or are you just a jackass.

Noshow

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:39 am

It is more polite to lower the seatback slowly but there is no obligation to ask the one behind first. And it is no "assault" to move it.
If people freak out on planes (mostly dunk or drugged passengers from my experience) ask the crew for help and don't start your own fights please.

seahawk

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:02 am

You just cough on to the person who reclined. They usually move the seat back-up quickly.

flyjay123

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:06 am

I've been in that same situation many years ago aboard Airtours International A330 LGW - BGI - 29inch seat pitch! We were sat mid cabin, however the guy behind decided to shake my reclined seat. It wasn't during service - he just didn't like my seat reclined. I asked what he was doing and he became aggressive quickly. Despite trying to remain calm it did end up verbally heated. (turned out he was on the same Caribbean cruise as us and was a 'heavy' smoker!) I got a behaviour warning, was asked not to recline my seat for the remainder of the flight 7/8 hours, so as not to aggravate him,! And, if I engaged with him again Police would be waiting upon arrival! I refused to ever fly with AIH again (not a big loss lol) .

StTim

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:30 am

I would have thought that non reclining seats could be made quite a bit lighter since you are removing the mechanisms and the potential weak point around the pivot structure.

I am sure this is why Ryanair have non reclining seats.

The worst I have ever flown was a Vueling flight with old thick seats. I could not actually sit in the seat with my legs in front of me - they did not fit. I had to mansplain and in doing so encroach slightly into my neighbours space. All I can say is that I was glad it was a relatively short flight and I was grateful the person in front did not recline. I have never flown Vueling since.

cedarjet

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:20 pm

Very disappointed in so many people here taking the side of the psycho punching the seat back. Never mind that the woman is perfectly entitled to recline her seat, the whole premise of the situation is totally sexist, because there is no way the guy would have the nerve to do this if the reclining passenger was a man. The debate should end there.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

danman132x

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:23 pm

Being 6'5" and flying does not mix well for me. I would never resort to this behavior, but I definitely feel for the man. Airlines should not have reclining seats. It would solve all of these problems once and for all. Sometimes we don't have a choice but to fly, such as international, and once in a while I will upgrade to comfort+, but that's not always feasible with what they charge for it. I've never asked for someone to sit back up if they recline as it's their right, but that leaves the screen basically unwatchable for movies as it's way to close.

I also want to know, who would pay for injuries if your knees or whatever are injured. Like sitting in the seat, butt all the way back, my knees STILL touch the seat in front of me. What if they ram it back at that moment and cause injury. Who would be the responsible party? I always have to sit sideways or manspread to even have room for the legs somewhat.

Finally, I never recline my seat, out of pure respect for the people behind me. I wouldn't want it done to me, so I don't do it to anyone else. I know some people are very "I'm reclining the second I sit down" and straight up A-holes about it. At least be kind when you do, let the people know if possible, and do it slowly so you don't hurt someone.

Again, wish airlines got rid of these reclining seats all together and then these problems would be solved. I understand it's a fine subject for airlines though, but I'm sure all would follow.

morrisond

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:27 pm

seahawk wrote:
You just cough on to the person who reclined. They usually move the seat back-up quickly.

Great solution! I like that one.

Why don't we all lobby our respective governments to implement minimum Seat Pitch Standards?

If this was a worldwide on-line poll I know what the answer would be and if all Airlines have to meet the same standards no one is at a disadvantage.

This is one of those basic rules almost akin to Human Rights that should be in place and is not.

31" and Slim-line seats would be fine.

gatibosgru

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:33 pm

prebennorholm wrote:
DLHAM wrote:
This is one reason why I love to fly on Ryanair. On flights up to like 3 or 4 hours I dont need recline. And the best part is: nobody will recline his seat into your face.

Those of us who are 6 feet +, those of us who have to work when we are at work, let's unite and vote with our wallet. Let the most old-fashioned airlines fly the sleepy midgets to holiday places.

Yikes... Enjoy that none reclining 28" pitch. May you should go on holiday more often like the sleepy midgets you speak of, helps with the attitude.
@DadCelo

johns624

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:49 pm

I remember once, my wife and I were on a flight from MSP-SEA. I slowly reclined my seat and the lady behind me started b*tching. I looked between the seats and saw that her and her husband were "large" people. I was polite (due to my wife) and put my seat back upright. Not 10 minutes later, she almost broke my seatback by using it to pull herself to standing so that she could use the restroom. It was all I could do to keep from saying something.

SuseJ772

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:50 pm

YIMBY wrote:
ukoverlander wrote:
It's very simple. If the airline provides a seat that reclines a passenger has every right to recline it. That goes for the person seating infront of me, the person sitting behind me and for my own choice as well. Take it up with the airline - not the passenger. They are well within their rights.

NO.

You may recline when everybody is asleep, but when they serve food, you keep your seat upright.
Reclining your seat when someone is dining behind is so unpolite that throwing the coffee over that guy is more polite. (If they serve me coffee, it is my right to do what I want - it is my coffee, isn't it?)

Neither of these are realities in this flight or most domestic US flights. Food is no longer served. Most hours are spent awake. So then what is your formula for peace?

As for me, I’d say everyone has a right to recline. It’s a feature offered. Some (myself included) can argue regardless of height that back problems are alleviated due to it.

That being said, if someone asked me not to, and based on the context (seat pitch, duration of flight, height of passenger behind me, etc...), then surely as a reasonable person I would not recline then.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

SuseJ772

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:53 pm

johns624 wrote:
I remember once, my wife and I were on a flight from MSP-SEA. I slowly reclined my seat and the lady behind me started b*tching. I looked between the seats and saw that her and her husband were "large" people. I was polite (due to my wife) and put my seat back upright. Not 10 minutes later, she almost broke my seatback by using it to pull herself to standing so that she could use the restroom. It was all I could do to keep from saying something.

My wife is not a large person (quite the opposite actually) and she is just about perfect in every way. Her just one fault in life is she uses the seat in front of her to get out of her seat. Drives me nuts. I tell her all the time not to do it. She forgets. One day I feel I am going to get punched in the face about it ;)
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

johns624

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:56 pm

Several posters here have complained that they're tall and they fly a lot for business and have this happen to them all the time. This doesn't make sense. My wife flies a lot for business and she is automatically upgraded to EC+. If these posters were the frequent fliers they claim to be, they'd get upgraded also.

AEROFAN

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:12 pm

Exactly one of the reasons why I choose to fly as little as possible; and when I do so, I ensure I fly in business at a minimum. I refuse to deal with the great unwashed and their nonsense.

northstardc4m

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:40 pm

johns624 wrote:
Several posters here have complained that they're tall and they fly a lot for business and have this happen to them all the time. This doesn't make sense. My wife flies a lot for business and she is automatically upgraded to EC+. If these posters were the frequent fliers they claim to be, they'd get upgraded also.
You are assuming:

A) Their company doesn't book lowest possible fare automatically which goes to bottom of upgrade list or doesn't get it at all. And on many airlines reduced status or no status miles awarded for those booking classes.

B) There are upgrades available, flight not fully booked.

C) that their business isn't spread around too much to get status.

D) there IS some kind of Y+ at all.

Take your pick... any or all. Nice that your wife isn't in those situations but that's life now with a lot of companies.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

StTim

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:47 pm

johns624 wrote:

Not in Europe they wouldn't.

afcjets

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:08 pm

I feel for guys over 6 feet tall in this situation however I think being tall has more advantages in life than disadvantages. I am 5 11 and only on a DL 717 did I have the seatback hit me (don't even think it was reclined).

As far as the last row, an easy solution for the airline would be either make it recline or prevent the row in front of it from reclining too.

NWAESC

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:24 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Kno wrote:
Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? Nobody is forcing anything upon this guy - there are plenty of options for buying more space and ways to get a better seat on virtually every flight.

Do you realise how ridiculous you sound? I am 6'5" and heavily built, and I can't afford to fly better than economy. (When I flew LGW-MCO on VS I had to pay a not unsubstantial fee just to upgrade the three of us travelling to economy seats with about 2 more inches of leg room, which was a lifesaver for a flight that long)

Why should taller people have to pay through the nose just to not be in pain? My knees already dig into the seat in front in standard economy seats, if that person decides to recline I lose my kneecaps.

Nobody is forcing you to fly. You can either choose to be in a seat with extra legroom, upgrade, or don't fly at all.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

slider

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:24 pm

First, that guy is a total asshat and if that were a man he was doing that to, shit wouldn't have gone down like that.

Secondly, while he is in the last row, and his seat doesn't recline, tough. Use your words and conversation and maybe--GASP--politely explain to the lady that I can't recline and am crunched up in there. Imagine a world where people use common courtesy.

On the topic of reclining seats, I'll recline mine every single damn flight. That's why they're there. One practice, however, I do is not slamming it back violently, but casually, slowly taking it back so as not to jar the person behind me, or disrupt them if they've got a laptop out, a drink on their traytable, etc.

But yeah, that dude needs a blue juice swirly. And a good old fashioned ass kicking to straighten his attitude out.

NWAESC

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:27 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
My wife is not a large person (quite the opposite actually) and she is just about perfect in every way. Her just one fault in life is she uses the seat in front of her to get out of her seat. Drives me nuts. I tell her all the time not to do it. She forgets. One day I feel I am going to get punched in the face about it ;)

I have a knee injury and recently flew. I did this about 3 times to the poor guy in front of me before realizing what I was doing and apologizing. He was pretty understanding about it all.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

727LOVER

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:24 pm

IIRC..didn't NK remove the recline on it's seats?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

johns624

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:55 pm

Just some points...
"Heavily built"--I've never heard that euphemism for obese before.
I'm 60 and have no problem lifting myself off my seat to stand up by using my armrests. I've had two complete reverse shoulder replacements, also. I also just did a 4.5mi hike in 15*F weather in an hour and a half. People just need to take care of themselves.
People are always saying to airline people here who complain "Then why don't you quit and get a job somewhere else". Same thing here for people who work at cheap companies where they can't get upgraded because of cheap fares. As my father used to say "sh=t or get off the pot".

Aptivaboy

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:12 pm

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/a ... ched-video

Allegedly threatened with arrest for recording.

Revelation

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:18 pm

bennett123 wrote:
If you are going to recline, why not tell me first, do it slowly or both.

If you respond neither, is it a deliberate assault or are you just a jackass.

Name calling and/or scolding doesn't work in the age of entitlement.

flyjay123 wrote:
I've been in that same situation many years ago aboard Airtours International A330 LGW - BGI - 29inch seat pitch! We were sat mid cabin, however the guy behind decided to shake my reclined seat. It wasn't during service - he just didn't like my seat reclined. I asked what he was doing and he became aggressive quickly. Despite trying to remain calm it did end up verbally heated. (turned out he was on the same Caribbean cruise as us and was a 'heavy' smoker!) I got a behaviour warning, was asked not to recline my seat for the remainder of the flight 7/8 hours, so as not to aggravate him,! And, if I engaged with him again Police would be waiting upon arrival! I refused to ever fly with AIH again (not a big loss lol) .

Yep, that's why I didn't directly confront the reclining pax in my little entanglement -- I would be labeled the aggressor.

I just matched his action of crushing my knees by my action of jamming my knees into his spine.

This doesn't work with newer hard shell seats and/or those with higher pivots.

morrisond wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Great solution! I like that one.

Why don't we all lobby our respective governments to implement minimum Seat Pitch Standards?

If this was a worldwide on-line poll I know what the answer would be and if all Airlines have to meet the same standards no one is at a disadvantage.

This is one of those basic rules almost akin to Human Rights that should be in place and is not.

31" and Slim-line seats would be fine.

I'm in favor of a mandatory minimum standard so we could at least halt the race to the bottom.

I'm also in favor of requirements for pecentage of E+ seats and some proportionality on pricing for extra space so larger people always have an option.

I doubt we'll ever see these things, though.

slider wrote:
First, that guy is a total asshat and if that were a man he was doing that to, shit wouldn't have gone down like that.

You are assuming facts not in evidence. As above, I'm a male and I've been close to throwing down with a male aggressively reclining. I'm not proud of it but that's where things ended up.

slider wrote:
Secondly, while he is in the last row, and his seat doesn't recline, tough. Use your words and conversation and maybe--GASP--politely explain to the lady that I can't recline and am crunched up in there. Imagine a world where people use common courtesy.

Relying on people's social skills to resolve these situations is already a bad plan and it gets worse as people's sense of entitlement and lack of social skills due to heavy internet use increases year by year.

slider wrote:
On the topic of reclining seats, I'll recline mine every single damn flight. That's why they're there. One practice, however, I do is not slamming it back violently, but casually, slowly taking it back so as not to jar the person behind me, or disrupt them if they've got a laptop out, a drink on their traytable, etc.

Some of the damn time there's someone behind you whose knees are already jammed against the seat back and reclining your damn seat is going to make a bad situation worse. But yea for your social skills.

slider wrote:
But yeah, that dude needs a blue juice swirly. And a good old fashioned ass kicking to straighten his attitude out.

How's your career in diplomacy going?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

N2111J

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:58 pm

Delta's CEO weighs in with his opinion that people should ask before reclining.

https://www.businessinsider.com/delta-c ... ing-2020-2

danman132x

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:38 pm

N2111J wrote:
Delta's CEO weighs in with his opinion that people should ask before reclining.

https://www.businessinsider.com/delta-c ... ing-2020-2

Was just about to post the same thing. This is great from him, totally agree. Have a little discretion and if they people behind say no, be polite and keep your seat up. Hopefully the reduced recline seats make it fleetwide after they finish this testing period.

sergegva

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:55 pm

I have flown about 150 segments and not once has the passenger in front of me asked my permission before reclining, or warned me that he was going to do so. So I wonder if this could be a difference between the United States and the rest of the world? Is it a common behaviour in the USA? This is a serious question.

I also wonder how often American passengers recline. Reading this topic, one would think that around half of the passengers never recline. In my experience (in Europe and worldwide, but never with US airlines), it seems to me that a clear majority of passengers do recline when they can - maybe 90% on a long-haul flight. Is it different in the US?

Finally, regarding the option to make the second-to-last row a non-reclining one to avoid the problem: guess what, it does not solve anything ;-D

Fiend

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:11 am

northstardc4m wrote:
Being 6'4 I hate recliners... But I also avoid them as much as I can by booking exit row or book extra leg room seats.

It is though really just an annoyance 95% of the time. Seats in economy don't really recline that much. I will admit to a couple times being passive aggressive with the air vent when people have tried to be annoying about it ( headphones on ignore everyone types). Or forcing myself up and going to the bathroom more than I needed to... But... I would never pound on the back of a seat for it. The other 5% of the time I'll ask to move if it makes it to uncomfortable... Or I will grit and bare it if there is no other option... But that airline will quickly drop in favorability... Voting with dollars is really the only option.

Really though manspreading is much more annoying to me, or armrest warriors, or "wet mouth" sleepers... Oh and especially unpatented kids kicking seats... Welcome to modern air travel.

But one thing...

I would actually love to know one thing though..
Someone slams a seat back, does real damage to the person behind, medical bills etc..., the airline will get sued for sure... And probably settle asap... But could the recliner be attached to the lawsuit as well?

So what's your opinion of a passenger who has to manspread due to the seat in-front of them being reclined???
BAC 1-11, A300, A320, A321, A330, A340, A350, A380, B737, B747, B757, B777, B787, L1011, Fokker 100, ATR 72, MD83

horsepowerchef

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:15 am

@people supporting this guy...When you go to a restaurant and the portion is smaller than you would like, do you...

A.Go to another restaurant
B.Order something additional
C.Start shaking the table, because you feel like you shouldn't have to pay for more food to be full.

this is not a trick question.

a36001

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:22 am

I think both of these people on that flight were acting like children!

I mean, did she really really need to recline her seat? I don't think so no one really needs to on a short day time flight. Did he really need to a punch the back of her seat, of course not, but I can appreciate his annoyance. It's not like we all haven't been there.

Some adults are just as badly behaved as a stroppy sleepy two year old. Its about time airlines ban these reclining seats and the overhead bins while they are at it!

As a group of humans all on this tiny planet, we don't much get along as we used to, the slightest annoyance turns into a mass bruhaha!
Shame really!

hondah35

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:26 am

prebennorholm wrote:
DLHAM wrote:
This is one reason why I love to fly on Ryanair. On flights up to like 3 or 4 hours I dont need recline. And the best part is: nobody will recline his seat into your face.

Time will solve the problem. It is only a question, how long time?

Ryanair was maybe a pioneer, but isn't alone. For instance easyJet and Norwegian have also come a long way. And now also at least new British Airways A320 planes will also have non-reclining Y class seats.

Those of us who are 6 feet +, those of us who have to work when we are at work, let's unite and vote with our wallet. Let the most old-fashioned airlines fly the sleepy midgets to holiday places. We, on the other hand, whenever possible, put our money where we don't suddenly risk slams against our knees and laptop.

The airline market has changed over the years. Some airline companies haven't really discovered yet that they don't fly around with Connies and DC-7s with 40in seat pitch any longer. The sooner they adjust to present day reality, the better. Let's use every opportunity to help them to identify the correct century they are living in.

A few things at play here:

1. Of course this is thinly concealed corporate bootlicking since adding back a few inches of seat pitch would probably make everyone happy and mean people wouldn't have to fly for hours in a seat with less recline than your normal Greyhound bus. But some will wax apologetic on behalf of the airline corporations even as they rack in billions in profits per year.

2. But there's also the strange suggestion that enjoying a few inches of recline is bad, but expecting to stay fully connected at 30,000 feet and have a mobile office at your seat (I suppose since you're an extremely important person with extremely important work that can't wait even for a few hours) is totally normal.

3. The appeal to consider something "old-fashioned", as to not have to fully convince others that your position is correct

So many angles to consider in this argument.

hondah35

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:41 am

sergegva wrote:
I have flown about 150 segments and not once has the passenger in front of me asked my permission before reclining, or warned me that he was going to do so. So I wonder if this could be a difference between the United States and the rest of the world? Is it a common behaviour in the USA? This is a serious question.

I also wonder how often American passengers recline. Reading this topic, one would think that around half of the passengers never recline. In my experience (in Europe and worldwide, but never with US airlines), it seems to me that a clear majority of passengers do recline when they can - maybe 90% on a long-haul flight. Is it different in the US?

Finally, regarding the option to make the second-to-last row a non-reclining one to avoid the problem: guess what, it does not solve anything ;-D

Yes, reclining is more common in the US than in Europe. I've been flying since 1982, on probably over 2,000 flights and I don't think I've ever heard someone ask if they could recline their seat, although reclining "dynamics" have changed in the past few years as seat pitch has been curtailed. If a beverage service is occurring, normally a flight attendant will notice when someone cannot reasonably utilize their tray table to enjoy their beverage and ask the person in front to put their seat forward for the beverage service.

D L X

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:49 am

Um...

Isn’t this in first class?

Edit: never mind. She was sitting in 20D.

https://twitter.com/steelersfanog/statu ... 60832?s=21
Last edited by D L X on Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

SocalApproach

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:53 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Are we sure that is coach? Hard to tell from that video the divider behind him doesn't look like the end of plane is it?

It’s the last row of an E175.

hondah35

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:43 am

cedarjet wrote:
Psychopath. And he wouldn’t do it if it was a guy in that seat, wouldn’t dare.

He was obviously dealing with some other frustrations in his life, probably related to feelings of inadequacy of his manhood.

ikramerica

Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:55 am

NWAESC wrote:
SuseJ772 wrote:

I have a knee injury and recently flew. I did this about 3 times to the poor guy in front of me before realizing what I was doing and apologizing. He was pretty understanding about it all.

And as someone who hates it when people do that, if you told me you had an injury and needed to, I would be totally understanding and just ask you to warn me first.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos