Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PITingres

Re: Passenger repeatedly punches back of reclined seat

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:17 am

SuseJ772 wrote:
My wife is not a large person (quite the opposite actually) and she is just about perfect in every way. Her just one fault in life is she uses the seat in front of her to get out of her seat. Drives me nuts. I tell her all the time not to do it. She forgets. One day I feel I am going to get punched in the face about it ;)

Maybe I misunderstand, but if the seat in front is reclined so that you can't stand up straight, or even close, how the devil does one get out without hanging on to the seat in front of you? I certainly can't do it, and I'm not particularly large nor decrepit.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

johns624

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:43 am

PITingres wrote:
SuseJ772 wrote:
My wife is not a large person (quite the opposite actually) and she is just about perfect in every way. Her just one fault in life is she uses the seat in front of her to get out of her seat. Drives me nuts. I tell her all the time not to do it. She forgets. One day I feel I am going to get punched in the face about it ;)

Maybe I misunderstand, but if the seat in front is reclined so that you can't stand up straight, or even close, how the devil does one get out without hanging on to the seat in front of you? I certainly can't do it, and I'm not particularly large nor decrepit.
You misunderstand. The seat in front wasn't reclined.

Virtual737

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:18 am

I'll take the person in front of me reclining every day IF the person still wearing the huge backpack during boarding stops trying to turn around as fast as they can, or wearing it on a single strap bouncing it over the heads of everyone sitting in the aisle..

ryanov

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:19 am

sprxUSA wrote:
Seat belt sign has nothing to do with seat reclining. Right after takeoff it is the right time to recline.

Pretty sure it’s generally the 10,000 ft chime. You’re not supposed to be reckoned at takeoff for sure.

I’m tall — 6 ft. Not as tall as others. However, I’ve basically never come close to having a problem with someone reclining: during mealtime, whatever. Except at the times where it’s not allowed and would affect my egress in an emergency. I also don’t love it being slammed back abruptly. But otherwise? You find places to put your legs, sit all the way back in the seat, etc. Sometimes I need to change the angle of my laptop screen. So what. My view: you avoid touching the seat in front of you. No, you don’t get to sneeze on someone for reclining, you degenerate.

I think people who don’t fly much have got it in their heads that this is a thing they get to be mad about, sort of like the “rule” about refusing to check bags because the airlines lose them (not once yet for me in hundreds of flights) or that connecting flights are to be avoided at all costs, etc.

Dahlgardo

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:54 am

It's has always been a riddle to me why some people recline their seats in Y without thinking about the person sitting behind them.
To me its just highly inconsiderate and selfish behavior, especially if you don't ask first.

I personally only recline my seat to sleep on intercontinental flights.

I don't defend this guys behavior which is way out of line, but it's because of selfish people like that woman travlling has become a worse experience than it has to be.
Unfortunately the world is full of me-me type people like that.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle

DenverTed

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:37 pm

What is the egress rule? Just that seats and traytables must be up? That would be archaic and simplistic if there are no dimensions to it. There are two vertical planes that define the egress pathway of the row. What is that minimum width. A seat reclined 8" at 40" pitch has more egress than non reclined seats at 30" pitch.
What's Delta's policy? After the flight attendants get a verbal from everyone seated in the exit rows that they are capable, the flight attendants will go through the cabin and get a verbal on who will or will not allow the seat in front of them to recline?

DenverTed

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:46 pm

I'm 6'5" and I'd prefer seats that recline 4"
Sitting on a chair pressing my tailbone into a board, my knee is at 28". Typically my knees max out at 32" pitch. At 31" pitch, I put my knees in the armrest indentation. If they sold 10% more pitch for 10% more price, I'd buy that.

MrBretz

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:00 pm

I just read something the woman in the video said. She said it was her right to recline and it was the airline’s problem. She was also citied by the flight attendant and the guy wasn’t. The FA was there. There must be a reason for that. I bet she reclined and the guy asked her not to because he was in the last row. She probably said screw you. He retaliated by shaking the seat. She videoed it. Without knowing anything else, I think the woman was rude.

Here’s the quote in today’s NYTimes:

On Friday, Ms. Williams remained steadfast. “I will recline,” she wrote in a text. “It’s the airline’s job to fix the problem, not mine!”

Bradin

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:37 pm

After carefully thinking about this, I’ve come to a simple realization that the airlines and individuals seeking bargain airfares are the real problem.

Airlines are cramming people in like sardines and not providing adequate space for individuals. The attitude is maximize profits, and provide transportation - to hell with passenger comfort and common decency.

chonetsao

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:35 pm

People are getting taller, this problem will exist, although violent is rare.

The temporary fix is to install seats that do not recline. So everyone have the same space without the imaginary comfort or recline.

The long term fix is for the government to order airline to have a minimum seat pitch of 31 inches to 32 inches. If airline can get away with that they will slowly shrink the seat pitch to 27 inches in order to put in more seats. Thus I think consumer protection is needed in the every decreasing of airline seat pitch.

ikramerica

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:56 am

So Ed Bastian says it’s your right to recline, but you should ask permission first.

Ed? If it’s a “right” you don’t have to ask. What a weasel answer.

Personally I recline 1/2 way to help my back, but not the full amount. Unless the person behind is sleeping anyway.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

MillwallSean

Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:25 am

Seriously?
The lady reclines. Thats what her seat offers. Some nutter start punching and behaving like a six year old spoilt boy and we cant see whose fault it is?
Really?
Lets see, a lady that reclines her seat vs man that punches seatback. I am pretty confident who is in the wrong here.

I always recline my seat, come mealtimes the FA will as part of their job ensure that all seats are in upright positions, but I tend to ensure my seat is in an upright position before the the FA comes to serve me. Common sense.
Should the person behind me happen to me 2 metres tall and politely ask if I can recline less, Id recline less. I am sure that through basic communication we could see how far I could recline. However through 1000+ flights that has yet to happen to me.

Is it easy to work on a laptop when the person in front of me has reclines. No, its almost impossible.
But if I dont like that, my option is to purchase a business class or economy plus seat. It comes with space and ability to work unobstructed. My option is never to punch the seatback and whine at the person in front of me.

The man has in this case acted in a way that is highly unprofessional, selfish and childish. Id be embarrassed if I knew him.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

ikramerica

Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:10 am

MillwallSean wrote:
Seriously?
The lady reclines. Thats what her seat offers. Some nutter start punching and behaving like a six year old spoilt boy and we cant see whose fault it is?
Really?
Lets see, a lady that reclines her seat vs man that punches seatback. I am pretty confident who is in the wrong here.

I always recline my seat, come mealtimes the FA will as part of their job ensure that all seats are in upright positions, but I tend to ensure my seat is in an upright position before the the FA comes to serve me. Common sense.
Should the person behind me happen to me 2 metres tall and politely ask if I can recline less, Id recline less. I am sure that through basic communication we could see how far I could recline. However through 1000+ flights that has yet to happen to me.

Is it easy to work on a laptop when the person in front of me has reclines. No, its almost impossible.
But if I dont like that, my option is to purchase a business class or economy plus seat. It comes with space and ability to work unobstructed. My option is never to punch the seatback and whine at the person in front of me.

The man has in this case acted in a way that is highly unprofessional, selfish and childish. Id be embarrassed if I knew him.

Agreed. And as someone pointed out earlier, one doubts he would have done the same to a man.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

DenverTed

Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:42 am

PITingres wrote:
SuseJ772 wrote:

I usually brace myself on with an arm on my own seat, but that probably slightly bounces the traytable of the person behind me.
If we're talking one small disturbance on the seat in front or behind is intolerable, how do people deal with turbulence?

Noshow

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:25 am

Concerning people that rock the seatback in front of them to stand up I was wondering:
Should something like a handgrip be provided on the ceiling above every seat? Thinking about future cabins. However ceiling space
is limited: There are knobs, light, oxygen mask and sometimes the air vent.

ryanov

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:52 am

Most planes already have other things to grab -- edge of the overhead bin, some Delta planes have rails, etc.

The problem is not getting your seat jostled, it's that some people use haul themselves up out of their seat with the seatback in front of them -- winding it up like a slingshot, grabbing your hair potentially, etc.

JannEejit

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:21 am

I'm a 'tall guy' also an amputee. Off comes the prosthetic and hey presto, instant pitch upgrade. Nothing to see here, move along..

Kiwirob

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:54 am

Boeingphan wrote:
I don't know i can't hardly blame the guy. The airlines should eliminate all recline option in economy period. They were the one's who shrunk down seat pitch to 30'' and for that poor bastard in the last row with no chance of reclining that'd tick me off as well. i realize he could have paid $11 to upgrade but it is what it is. He's stuck in the back row by everyone using the bathroom and she has the audacity to recline. Eliminate the reclining feature on economy across the board and this problem is solved.

If I was the airline I’d ban him from flying with them again, this kind of behaviour is unnecessary on a flight. Her seat reclines, she is entitled to use the recline function, the only time it shouldn’t be used is during meal service.

I will recline, I don’t care if the person behind doesn’t like it, they can also recline, it also don’t care if the person in front of me reclines, what I do object of is if I g set stuck in the middle row and the wankers either site of me don’t understand that both armrest are mine and mine only!

GBNWB

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:04 am

I agree that seats with a 30' pitch should not recline and those that do I find it poor form if the person ahead reclines. That does not however excuse his behaviour and the crew should have had him thrown off.

Chasensfo

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:32 am

As someone who is 6'2, go ahead and recline. It's your option. I might hate it when you do, but oh well, that's what I get for being poor and riding in the back. I always recline if I have the option, because I have the option. If you don't like it, upgrade or fly on an airline like Frontier that does not have the recline option. If you are booked on an airline with a recline option and you can't afford to upgrade, deal with it just like one must deal with crying babies, smelly pax, ect. You get what you pay for.

aeromoe

Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:35 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
The dude punching is nothing but a

P R I C K !

Grow up you passive aggressive NUT. I feel for the lady. She chose a seat that reclined... he chose to be cheap.

I elected to take the last available seat on a flight once and it was literally the last seat on this particular AA A321. Last row, starboard side, window. I chose the flight, but not the seat. When I boarded (last to board because of the circumstances) the fellow in the window seat ahead of me already had his seat "fully" reclined at the gate and I had to politely ask him to raise his seat just so I could take my seat and store my camera bag under his seat. I think he did recline afterwards, so what. I dealt with it. It was the poor fellow in the middle seat next to me who was about as wide in the shoulders as is possible...he was big. That was more uncomfortable than the reclined seat in front of me.

The reason I was on this flight was this. I'd just flown in to HNL on this particular A321 (N118NN) from LAX. I was planning on taking the return flight to PHX on the A330-300 that night. After about 45 minutes of walking around HNL (still airside) I looked up at the arrivals screen and saw my outbound flight to PHX later that night had cancelled. Apparently the inbound flight from PHX had a technical issue and had to return to PHX about an hour or so into the flight to HNL. So, weighing my options (this was purely discretionary travel - no purpose other than log the flights and planes) I went back to the boarding gate and inquired if there were any seats available back to LAX on this A321 I'd just deplaned from "an hour" or so ago. Initially I was told no, I'd have to accept my rebooking the next day via LAX. As I was walking away from the podium, the agent called out to me and informed me there was in fact one seat left if I wanted it. I eagerly accepted. Thankfully it was a window seat...I always book window seats when I can.

So yes, maybe this guy was "cheap" (or maybe not) and chose not to purchase a different seat...it may have been assigned to him. Many travelers probably don't realize certain seats on a plane don't recline or have minimal recline. Many of us on these forums likely have much more awareness on our options, but this guy definitely had no reason to be an arse over the situation. The lady who did recline her seat had every right to do so but in doing so chose to ignore the situation and not compromise.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

Elementalism

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:27 pm

AA's response is pretty funny given their current reputation for poor customer service. Basically fell back on the regulations and pointed out comfort is not required within the regulations lol.
That is one tone deaf airline.

ozark1

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:37 pm

I rarely, if ever, recline my seat on a flight. If i do, it's only slightly because I am very aware of the person behind me and the discomfort it may cause.

ozark1

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:40 pm

Elementalism wrote:
AA's response is pretty funny given their current reputation for poor customer service. Basically fell back on the regulations and pointed out comfort is not required within the regulations lol.

Oh stop flying them then...all of you who hate them so much. It gets really old. They are getting better, slowly but surely, but you don't give a rats behind.

Tugger

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:54 pm

I recline when fly and in particular when I sleep. I do lift it for meal service but then after we are all done I recline again. The person in front of me is also, of course, welcome to recline, that is how it works. There is little comfort in modern econo flying, and quite frankly the airlines are taking advantage of people with this made up expectation of "don't do it to be polite" while they eliminate seat space and legroom. But of course we all enjoy the lower prices (supposedly).

It is perfectly OK to recline your seat. It is not a "politeness issue" and people should not object to it when the person in front reclines. It's the plane and the airline.

Of course I am sure "Out of a desire to provide maximum comfort to each passenger, we have eliminated the recline function from our seats to ensure our customers can fully enjoy the optimally designed seats in our aircraft!" will become a future press release from many airlines. It of course won't be to reduce costs, increase the number of seats that can be fitted onboard, and for sure it won't be done for the comfort of the passengers (which as has been noted is not something they are required to provide...).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

william

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:55 pm

So what happened to the pax who was hitting the chair?

Elementalism

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:00 pm

william wrote:

According to the woman video taping, was given free rum by the airline for his troubles of hitting the back of a seat like a child.

Elementalism

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:02 pm

ozark1 wrote:
Elementalism wrote:

Oh stop flying them then...all of you who hate them so much. It gets really old. They are getting better, slowly but surely, but you don't give a rats behind.

Not a problem. Flew them to Italy last fall. Such a wonderful experience couldn't get up the motivation to fill out the paperwork to get 60,000 free mile on their CC.

william

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:04 pm

Elementalism wrote:
william wrote:

According to the woman video taping, was given free rum by the airline for his troubles of hitting the back of a seat like a child.

Wow, not the result i was expecting.

LCDFlight

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:09 pm

MillwallSean wrote:
Seriously?
Really?

To me it sounds like both got the punishment they deserved. The golden rule was in effect that day.

nwray

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:12 pm

This is fascinating to me. It was a fairly short flight. The majority of my flying is up and down the west coast, flights under 3 hours. I like to fly inexpensively. Really, I can stand anything for 2-3 hours! On these flights, I don't recline because I'm a "do unto others" sort. That being said, I also don't get uptight if the person in front of me reclines. It's a feature of the seat, so I don't get what the issue is. No permission is necessary. The guy was clearly out of line. I feel sorry for flight attendants that have to deal with this sort of nonsense.

eal46859

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:29 pm

So, the guy was seated in the last row against the bulk head , so he couldn't recline his seat. Not her problem.. she had a bad back issue. Regarding anyone on here that indicated that they were tall or large: Pick a seat that also reclines or is an exit row, or upgrade when you can.

The FA gave her a "disturbance notice" whatever that is, for videoing his bad behavior. The FA also unbelievably gave him a free drink, instead of having him arrested when they got to Charlotte and banned from AA for life. The Airline CEO's are now saying to ask first .. this is the polite thing. No sir. Do not make one customer as another customer for a "favor" .

Put more room in between the rows and charge more for the tickets if you have to and/or if the market place demand allows it. The airlines are making Billions, yes with a B, on premium seating products now, so they need to quit their bitching .

KlimaBXsst

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:49 pm

aeromoe wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:
The dude punching is nothing but a

P R I C K !

Grow up you passive aggressive NUT. I feel for the lady. She chose a seat that reclined... he chose to be cheap.

I elected to take the last available seat on a flight once and it was literally the last seat on this particular AA A321. Last row, starboard side, window. I chose the flight, but not the seat. When I boarded (last to board because of the circumstances) the fellow in the window seat ahead of me already had his seat "fully" reclined at the gate and I had to politely ask him to raise his seat just so I could take my seat and store my camera bag under his seat. I think he did recline afterwards, so what. I dealt with it. It was the poor fellow in the middle seat next to me who was about as wide in the shoulders as is possible...he was big. That was more uncomfortable than the reclined seat in front of me.

The reason I was on this flight was this. I'd just flown in to HNL on this particular A321 (N118NN) from LAX. I was planning on taking the return flight to PHX on the A330-300 that night. After about 45 minutes of walking around HNL (still airside) I looked up at the arrivals screen and saw my outbound flight to PHX later that night had cancelled. Apparently the inbound flight from PHX had a technical issue and had to return to PHX about an hour or so into the flight to HNL. So, weighing my options (this was purely discretionary travel - no purpose other than log the flights and planes) I went back to the boarding gate and inquired if there were any seats available back to LAX on this A321 I'd just deplaned from "an hour" or so ago. Initially I was told no, I'd have to accept my rebooking the next day via LAX. As I was walking away from the podium, the agent called out to me and informed me there was in fact one seat left if I wanted it. I eagerly accepted. Thankfully it was a window seat...I always book window seats when I can.

So yes, maybe this guy was "cheap" (or maybe not) and chose not to purchase a different seat...it may have been assigned to him. Many travelers probably don't realize certain seats on a plane don't recline or have minimal recline. Many of us on these forums likely have much more awareness on our options, but this guy definitely had no reason to be an arse over the situation. The lady who did recline her seat had every right to do so but in doing so chose to ignore the situation and not compromise.

In short, the dude should own up to his spoiled brat tantrum antics and make a public apology to this lady on Facebook, Twitter, or some other public Media.

However it may be beyond that now, and he may need to consult with someone who knows PR implications better than I do. The lady may try to milk this for more than her 15 minutes of fame she has already received.

PS the airline Exec who said to ask your fellow passenger if it is okay to recline is completely out of touch and out of his mind. If the seat has recline IT IS being reclined.

What a P R I C K of an airline executive too! This is a good topic though because it shows how uncivil people have become who use aviation, since it was only the privileged and polite who got to slip the surly bonds in the past.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

scntekir

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:02 pm

Bad behavior by any other name, is till bad behavior. Shame on him for his antisocial behavior and shame on her for the dog n pony show.
A wiser person than me said "lead, follow or get out of the way". I have been trying to "get out of the way" ever since...

SDL

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:17 pm

10 years back or so Cathay Pacific had a seat that didn’t affect other passengers when you reclined it only affected your own legroom, I thought that was a nice solution.

Revelation

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:21 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
PS the airline Exec who said to ask your fellow passenger if it is okay to recline is completely out of touch and out of his mind. If the seat has recline IT IS being reclined.

What a P R I C K of an airline executive too! This is a good topic though because it shows how uncivil people have become who use aviation, since it was only the privileged and polite who got to slip the surly bonds in the past.

So he's a prick for asking people to work things out instead of taking unilateral actions? :scratchchin:

I think he'd be a prick for taking a unilateral action such as disabling the recline function across all his company's airplanes, but I think that's where we're heading, because people are asses. :butthead:
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

KlimaBXsst

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:29 pm

[quote="Revelation]

I think he'd be a prick for taking a unilateral action such as disabling the recline function, but I think that's where we're heading.[/quote]

You are so right that is the way airlines plan on torturing us more. I agree with you and truly feel those are the deep seated internal motivations of this exec. Mentality,

1) less moving part, reduced MX
2) up-sale-ability to EXTRA CONSUMER COST reclining seats.

* passengers need to figure out how to behave cost those EXECUTIVES are going to find ways of making travel even more torture for you lot who don’t behave.

Indy

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:33 pm

So let me get this straight. She is entitled to the recline feature but he isn't entitled to the space he paid for?
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

Elementalism

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:51 pm

Indy wrote:
So let me get this straight. She is entitled to the recline feature but he isn't entitled to the space he paid for?

He is entitled to whatever space the airline grants him. That includes a reclining seat in front of him. Dont like it, then pay for an upgrade. IMO the airlines should do away with reclining seats in economy. Leave it for upgraded seats with more leg room. The execs like Ed Bastian claiming we need to ask are dancing around the issues they created by packing us in so tight.

AndyW35

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:57 pm

Why are we still arguing over this? She was annoying, he was annoying as well as both didn't care obviously about anyone else about themselves.

We can all agree we'd rather be on a flight without them and full of us.

That window shade not quite low enough, let me get it for you Sir, and have you seen the 737 Max thread recently?

That's the best way to fly, with like minded rational individuals...

Mightyflyer86

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:16 pm

Boeingphan wrote:
I don't know i can't hardly blame the guy. The airlines should eliminate all recline option in economy period. They were the one's who shrunk down seat pitch to 30'' and for that poor bastard in the last row with no chance of reclining that'd tick me off as well. i realize he could have paid $11 to upgrade but it is what it is. He's stuck in the back row by everyone using the bathroom and she has the audacity to recline. Eliminate the reclining feature on economy across the board and this problem is solved.

I respectfully disagree with you, if you or anybody else who hates having a reclined seat too close to their bodies wants to have more privacy or feel more comfortable then pay for an exit row/main cabin extra or first class seat.

The other option is to fly Spirit.

speedbird52

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:37 pm

Boeingphan wrote:

My back instantly starts to hurt when those seats aren't reclined.

speedbird52

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:39 pm

SDL wrote:
10 years back or so Cathay Pacific had a seat that didn’t affect other passengers when you reclined it only affected your own legroom, I thought that was a nice solution.

ANA too. I thought it was a standard feature by now?

KlimaBXsst

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:43 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
SDL wrote:

ANA too. I thought it was a standard feature by now?

AA.... “did” too!

alan3

Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:11 pm

Easy Answer:

NO RECLINE IN ECONOMY
or
SLIDE-FORWARD SEATS ONLY

This whole discussion puts Recliners against Non-Recliners while the airlines who are the ones adding extra rows, reducing seat pitch, seat width, thinning the seat material, and generally making things less comfortable all in the name of extra profits are sitting back watching these wars go in their own cabins that are partly their own fault.

All under the cynical assumption that "people must be fine with it because they are still buying tickets" or "people must be fine with it because otherwise they would pay for an upgrade".

(If we're taking count put me down very very very firmly on Anti-Recline side but I just don't like the idea of the airlines washing their hands and acting like the innocent party in all this)
Last edited by alan3 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aptivaboy

Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:14 pm

They were both being jerks, but I'm still on the woman's side. Her seat can recline, its part of the service, so she can recline if she wants to. I suspect that if the a**hole had simply asked politely for her to please move her seat up that she probably would have. What he did was ridiculous, and I do hope that he gets banned from AA and its partners. Sheesh, it was a regional jet - how long was the flight for? You couldn't handle it for an hour or so?

Personally, I don't recline out of courtesy to the pax behind me, but if the airline allows it, then so be it. Incidents like this are also the reason that I generally purchase first class/biz or upgraded economy seats, to avoid this type of riff raff.

NonTechAvLover

Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:28 pm

A question related to a different kind of nuisance, namely children: One can avoid them almost entirely in one’s daily life if he makes some effort and for some it is worth the effort. The glaring exception is on commercial flights, where one has no way avoiding the close company of little Timmy. The crying and one’s seat being kicked repeatedly are my two problems, and yes, the parent of the kind of boy (it is always a boy) who kicks the seat in front of him is always oblivious to what is happening to the passenger sitting in front of his/her wonderful offspring. So, I always thought to myself some day, some airline will come up with the idea of child-free flights and charge a hefty premium (to some who will pay it gladly), but as far as I know, no airline ever tried it. Is anyone aware of any such effort?

blandy62

Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:56 pm

Airlines brought the problem. They keep squeezing people more and more and the personal space is becoming less and less when people recline seats... But of course airlines put the blame on passengers. Nobody like to have people reclining their seat in particular if you try to work with your laptop... but on the other hand people have the right to do so.

Indy

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:01 am

Elementalism wrote:
Indy wrote:

He is entitled to whatever space the airline grants him. That includes a reclining seat in front of him. Dont like it, then pay for an upgrade. IMO the airlines should do away with reclining seats in economy. Leave it for upgraded seats with more leg room. The execs like Ed Bastian claiming we need to ask are dancing around the issues they created by packing us in so tight.

And if he were to choose to put his knees up before the person in front of him tried to recline, it would be his right to do with his space as he sees fit. He is under no obligation to yield his space to the person in front of him. When you book ANY seat, you have a reasonable expectation to have full use of the space you paid for. That includes people in front of you and people to the sides of you staying in their own space. You could argue that the recline space is a shared space much like the middle arm rest. Being a halfway considerate person makes this a non issue. But this is what happens when you have a selfish cow and a complete prick sitting one in front of the other.

But yeah... if airlines are going to pack seats in like this then recline in coach must go away. Or make it a regulatory requirement that the row in front of a non reclining row can only have very limited recline. Maybe half the recline of a normal coach seat. So basically the last row is no recline, next to last row is half recline, and the one in front of that is full recline. Something must be done since airlines won't do the right thing.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

Tugger

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:41 am

Again, I just do not understand the concern. It just seems self-righteous to say that everyone must follow your edict if you don't think "recline" is OK. Recline is an important thing to be able to use for comfort and for sleep. I don't care if it is the "slide recline" (where the seat back does not encroach more into the space behind you) it is good to have and makes a difference. And I won't be suprised that if we do begin to see more of those seats (which we won't as they have a higher cost for maintenance) I bet the same people against recline will begin nudging peopel in front of them asking them TO recline.

As noted above, the problem is due to the airlines not the passengers. Shrinking the legroom so much has made every inch something people literally fight over. I'll use my space. I will also fully expect the person in front of me to fully recline. And honestly I have only had two or three flights over the years where anyone has been concerned enough to say something to me and only two(? to my memory) where someone has tried to "block" my reclining (once was a knee, and the FA busted the one that tried to use a device.)

It's silly and it only appears intractable as the few (very very few) who complain make a lot of noise and make seem like a big problem (honestly how many flights have you been on where most everyone reclines and there is no issue?).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos