Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NIKV69

Re: Passenger repeatedly punches back of reclined seat

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:21 am

That guy is a loser just looking at him and anyone that would behave like that just reinforces it. I am glad I don't fly coach. It's also why I like flying the row with closet in front of me and not a passenger.
I am the Googlizer!!!

reltney

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:37 am

Passenger should be forever band from air travel .

Recline your seats if they will recline... open your window shade ! Have fun and look at the World from above and be proud. If you are scared to fly, get an aisle seat and let us look out! Recline your seat and relax!

Life is simple...quit trying to complicate it.....

Lighten up and end this very silly topic.
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

hongkongflyer

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:31 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
SDL wrote:
10 years back or so Cathay Pacific had a seat that didn’t affect other passengers when you reclined it only affected your own legroom, I thought that was a nice solution.

ANA too. I thought it was a standard feature by now?

AA.... “did” too!

The seat was so uncomfortable and CX received numbers of complain. CX removed it from long haul fleets in just a few years.

Base on the video online, the man who sitting in the last role was just watching something from his phone,
he had no problem in enjoying his entertainment (unlike using laptop; having meal etc.) even the woman had reclined her seat.
So it make me felt that he did it just because he didn't like someone recline the seat.

aerokiwi

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:42 am

This isn't a debate. While it is low level violence and intimidation it is still a violent reaction intended to intimidate. Unacceptable in every way. The man is at fault in every way. The woman's personality, motivation and even the action of reclining is entirely moot.

M564038... that's a lot of pent up rage. As always in life, be gentle, be kind. It's easier and makes you feel better.

Indy

Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:01 am

Can someone point out where it states in the contract of carriage that a passenger is entitled to recline their seat or where it states a passenger has to allow another passenger to encroach into their space. Since we all seem to be so sure about who is right and who is wrong, let's see the rules. If rules don't expressly state this then all of this is just a matter of personal opinion.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

Tugger

Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:01 am

Indy wrote:
Can someone point out where it states in the contract of carriage that a passenger is entitled to recline their seat or where it states a passenger has to allow another passenger to encroach into their space. Since we all seem to be so sure about who is right and who is wrong, let's see the rules. If rules don't expressly state this then all of this is just a matter of personal opinion.

Same place it states passengers should have a seat in the gate area at the terminal, or ticket agents at the gate, or an armrest, or a window shade or a light over head or air.... Or that first class should be served a rink once seated or a wider seat with more leg room.

Let's look all that first and make sure that airlines allow and do nothing more than the absolute minimum per the contract.

Because that is what makes flying OK.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

oldannyboy

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:36 am

Boeingphan wrote:
I don't know i can't hardly blame the guy. The airlines should eliminate all recline option in economy period. They were the one's who shrunk down seat pitch to 30'' and for that poor bastard in the last row with no chance of reclining that'd tick me off as well. i realize he could have paid $11 to upgrade but it is what it is. He's stuck in the back row by everyone using the bathroom and she has the audacity to recline. Eliminate the reclining feature on economy across the board and this problem is solved.

Reality check in dire need for you. Wake up, get real. Time to grow out of your entitlement bubble - not just you, but a lot of people who think they are owed more space, and a better treatment, just because "they are them", and flying these days just sucks too much for their own good.

I strongly suggest people like you stay home. Actually: please do not travel, don't go overseas, and DON'T FLY - PLEASE?

mjoelnir

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:27 am

What the airline should do or not do with reclining seats is absolutely beside the point. That frame we are talking about has reclining seats.
As long airlines offer reclining seats, people should expect the recline to be used.
All the talk about somebody intruding in somebodies space is nonsense. If an airline does not want it's customers to use the recline or make it conditionally on the permission of the passenger behind, they should put up a notice. Otherwise the space taken up by a reclined seat is not owned by the passenger behind.

The passenger behind the woman has an anger management problem. The FA should have stopped him from annoying the passenger in front of him. If he had than continued, he should have been arrested at the end of the flight.

There are of course different opinions about reclining seats. There are people that are big and do not fit into the standard seats, there are people who have difficulties to sit for hours in the upright position. Different needs. Does not change that some airline seats recline and some do not.

If you have not enough space, complain to the airline and do that frequently If thousands of people complain, the downsizing of the comfort will perhaps stop. I myself are a proponent of a regulation of the minimum space and seat size to be offered by an airline.

bennett123

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:40 am

As I said before, say to the person behind ‘I am moving my seat back’. Not expecting you to ask permission.

If you slam it back without warning is the intention to cause injury or do you not care so long as you get your own way?.

Kashmon

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:37 am

SDL wrote:
10 years back or so Cathay Pacific had a seat that didn’t affect other passengers when you reclined it only affected your own legroom, I thought that was a nice solution.

They still do on regional aircraft.

They were my favorite seats, so much room on all flights.
Most passengers hated them though so...

mjoelnir

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:10 pm

bennett123 wrote:
As I said before, say to the person behind ‘I am moving my seat back’. Not expecting you to ask permission.

If you slam it back without warning is the intention to cause injury or do you not care so long as you get your own way?.

Of course you move your seat back slowly and it is possible to try to tell the person behind you that you will recline (Usually he will not hear you because of his earphones). Why do you assume something else? If of course the person behind me tries to keep me from reclining by pressing against or hitting my seat, I will slam. If he has problems with me reclining and asks nicely, I will consider not to decline depending on the reason he gives.

Many posters here seem to assume that the person behind you has the right to refuse you reclining your seat. I do not agree.

WayexTDI

Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:32 pm

Indy wrote:

The Contract of Carriage entitles you to use every single feature of the Seat and Class of Service you paid for, or are ultimately assigned to; if the seat you've been told to seat in (remember, the airline has final say as to where you seat) can physically recline, then you are allowed to use that feature.

Dahlgardo

Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:54 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
Many posters here seem to assume that the person behind you has the right to refuse you reclining your seat. I do not agree.

That is in my opinion completely beside the point.

I see this as being a thing about common courtesy and taking your fellow human beings into account before you do something that might impact them in a negative way.
I can't understand why that is such an alien idea for some people.

If you sit in the front of a car and you have some friends sitting behind you, do you then move your seat back without taking your friends comfort into consideration before you think about yourself?
You probably don't, and I don't understand why it has to be different in an aeroplane. Y is bad for everyone, why make it worse by acting selfish.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle

Virtual737

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:00 pm

Indy wrote:

Much easier to find the rules written into law in most countries that would make what he did wrong (and illegal) rather than look for the rule in a business to consumer contract that made what she did not right....

Virtual737

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:03 pm

hongkongflyer wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
ANA too. I thought it was a standard feature by now?

AA.... “did” too!

The seat was so uncomfortable and CX received numbers of complain. CX removed it from long haul fleets in just a few years.

Base on the video online, the man who sitting in the last role was just watching something from his phone,
he had no problem in enjoying his entertainment (unlike using laptop; having meal etc.) even the woman had reclined her seat.
So it make me felt that he did it just because he didn't like someone recline the seat.

Indeed. I wrote an email to Cathay the first (and last) time I sat in one of those seats (for 12 hours) stating words along the lines of "the person that designed those seats never sat in them, neither did the person that bought them". They were amazingly uncomfortable, although a handful of my colleagues had no problem with them.

hongkongflyer

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:03 pm

Kashmon wrote:
SDL wrote:

They still do on regional aircraft.

They were my favorite seats, so much room on all flights.
Most passengers hated them though so...

Many were replaced by the newer version (the light blue one, one generation before the 350 and 3-4-3 777 seats)

hongkongflyer

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:04 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
hongkongflyer wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:

AA.... “did” too!

Indeed. I wrote an email to Cathay the first (and last) time I sat in one of those seats (for 12 hours) stating words along the lines of "the person that designed those seats never sat in them, neither did the person that bought them". They were amazingly uncomfortable, although a handful of my colleagues had no problem with them.

I heard the manager who made the decision to use the fixed shell seat can't save his position in CX

Elementalism

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:20 pm

Indy wrote:
Elementalism wrote:
Indy wrote:
So let me get this straight. She is entitled to the recline feature but he isn't entitled to the space he paid for?

He is entitled to whatever space the airline grants him. That includes a reclining seat in front of him. Dont like it, then pay for an upgrade. IMO the airlines should do away with reclining seats in economy. Leave it for upgraded seats with more leg room. The execs like Ed Bastian claiming we need to ask are dancing around the issues they created by packing us in so tight.

And if he were to choose to put his knees up before the person in front of him tried to recline, it would be his right to do with his space as he sees fit. He is under no obligation to yield his space to the person in front of him. When you book ANY seat, you have a reasonable expectation to have full use of the space you paid for. That includes people in front of you and people to the sides of you staying in their own space. You could argue that the recline space is a shared space much like the middle arm rest. Being a halfway considerate person makes this a non issue. But this is what happens when you have a selfish cow and a complete prick sitting one in front of the other.

But yeah... if airlines are going to pack seats in like this then recline in coach must go away. Or make it a regulatory requirement that the row in front of a non reclining row can only have very limited recline. Maybe half the recline of a normal coach seat. So basically the last row is no recline, next to last row is half recline, and the one in front of that is full recline. Something must be done since airlines won't do the right thing.

No he wouldnt. I just explained he is entitled to whatever space the airline grants him. Putting his feet or knees up to stop a reclining seat is not part of his entitled space.

Virtual737

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:28 pm

hongkongflyer wrote:
I heard the manager who made the decision to use the fixed shell seat can't save his position in CX

I would have let them stay, but replace their office chair with one of those seats. Would resign within the week :)

MrBretz

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:40 pm

I agree with Dahlgardo who says:

“I see this as being a thing about common courtesy and taking your fellow human beings into account before you do something that might impact them in a negative way.

If you sit in the front of a car and you have some friends sitting behind you, do you then move your seat back without taking your friends comfort into consideration before you think about yourself?
You probably don't, and I don't understand why it has to be different in an aeroplane. Y is bad for everyone, why make it worse by acting selfish.”

Would you do this in a car?

mjoelnir

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:49 pm

Dahlgardo wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

That is in my opinion completely beside the point.

I see this as being a thing about common courtesy and taking your fellow human beings into account before you do something that might impact them in a negative way.

You probably don't, and I don't understand why it has to be different in an aeroplane. Y is bad for everyone, why make it worse by acting selfish.

In an airline you can buy a seat that offers recline.

I have not yet seen a seat that you can move back and force like in a car to increase your leg room. Neither have I seen a seat that can be completely reclined, so you can sleep using the back seat, the reclined back of the front seat and the front seat cushion as a bed. As most strange comparisons, this comparison has no relevance.

I buy a ticket and when I book the seat, I take, if offered, a seat that reclines. I do not accept that I have to forgo the comfort of reclining, because somebody things I have to.
If somebody is big and needs space, he has to be more careful what he books. There are seats with more legroom. Anyway, nobody has shown that this guy bumping the seat in front of him was especially big.

I do not understand, that is alien to some people that you use what you bought. In this case the woman bought a seat that reclines, fully believing she had the right to recline. I have not anywhere seen any rule that asks here not to use this comfort she paid for.

Tugger

Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:04 pm

According to her story, the woman did work with the guy, when he requested she raise her seat for his meal, she did. She then reclined later after the meal was finished.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/a ... prosecuted

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Dahlgardo

Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:59 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
I have not yet seen a seat that you can move back and force like in a car to increase your leg room. Neither have I seen a seat that can be completely reclined, so you can sleep using the back seat, the reclined back of the front seat and the front seat cushion as a bed. As most strange comparisons, this comparison has no relevance.

I buy a ticket and when I book the seat, I take, if offered, a seat that reclines. I do not accept that I have to forgo the comfort of reclining, because somebody things I have to.
If somebody is big and needs space, he has to be more careful what he books. There are seats with more legroom. Anyway, nobody has shown that this guy bumping the seat in front of him was especially big.

I do not understand, that is alien to some people that you use what you bought. In this case the woman bought a seat that reclines, fully believing she had the right to recline. I have not anywhere seen any rule that asks here not to use this comfort she paid for.

Just because you can or have the right to do something, doesn't mean you should do it.
Courtesy is not something you are obliged to show, but it can often make a positive difference for people, and basically make the world a nicer place.
I stand by the example with the car, where it is natural courtesy for most not squeeze friends or family in the backseat for your own comfort.
Y is now so cramped it should be clear to everyone, that reclining your seat often will have a significant negative impact on the person sitting behind you.
Show some courtesy, and at least ask before you recline. I very rarely recline on shorthaul flights. Longhaul is different since most people need some rest at some point.

This dicussion reminds me why I decided to buy a house and move away from the city.
I was fed up with constant selfish and inconsiderate behavior from people around me. Loud music late evening and night, trash everywhere and so on.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle

PerVG

Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:06 pm

In the times of ever receding seat pitch, reclining seats are stupid to begin with.
There should be made a rule that you can only recline your seat at night (sleep) time (as defined per the time zone of the departure place), or at any time if, and only, there is no one in the seat behind.

bennett123

Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:10 pm

mjoelnir

Your approach seems entirely reasonable.

Regrettably some folk on here seem to take a more aggressive approach.

How about people just being nice to each other. It makes life a lot more fun.

FGITD

Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:40 pm

What's baffling is that if you look through various threads on this site, the window seat is the sanctimonious owner of the window shade. Trying to sleep in your middle seat? Tough, enjoy the sunrise in your eyes. Entire cabin sitting in darkness? Too bad, 22A wants to see what Iowa looks like. And as their God-given right, no one can tell them what to do with the shade, regardless of how it impacts them.

But you want to use the recline feature of your seat? Absolute monster.

I'll gently recline and try to limit use (really that 2 inches doesn't do much anyway) but I'll still use it. Because I paid for it. Should people in business class not use their seat features in solidarity with the people in economy who don't have the option? They paid more for them? Well...so did I. Be it $1 or $1000.

bennett123

Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:55 pm

A lot of folk get stressed about window shades.

Do they normally sit in a darkened room without windows?

Tugger

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:11 pm

bennett123 wrote:
A lot of folk get stressed about window shades.

Do they normally sit in a darkened room without windows?

How else do you watch TV and consume electronic entertainment!?!
:tired:
Tugg

bennett123

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:22 pm

See Iowa from the air or see a movie.

Tough choice.

cmorgantini0303

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:28 pm

Isn't the "reclining debate" very similar to the "oversized passenger overflowing into my seat" one? Shouldn't "boundaries" be well defined and enforced by rules and FAs? Otherwise is going to be the wild west...who is right, who is wrong?

LAXBUR

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:35 pm

I’m still seeing articles about this. This lady may have been a victim of an angry passenger, but she’s trying to get as much out of this as possible. I also never trust people that demand people be fired. They generally are cruel self centered people.

Tugger

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:41 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
I’m still seeing articles about this. This lady may have been a victim of an angry passenger, but she’s trying to get as much out of this as possible. I also never trust people that demand people be fired. They generally are cruel self centered people.

Publicizing it is often the only way nowadays to force an airline into addressing a problem. In this case the failure of the FA's to step up and enforce discipline and stop the abusive actions of the passenger behind her.

Tugg

afgeneral

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:19 pm

English is not my first language but why is nobody questioning the term "punching"?

what he is doing looks a lot like "tapping"

if he was actually PUNCHING her eyeglasses would be flying through the cabin

Tugger

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:34 pm

afgeneral wrote:
English is not my first language but why is nobody questioning the term "punching"?

what he is doing looks a lot like "tapping"

if he was actually PUNCHING her eyeglasses would be flying through the cabin

Soooo "tapping", as he is seen doing in the video, is then OK? Supposedly when she started filming he stopped the hitting and went to the "shake constantly" tap/push/whatever action that is seen.

Tugg

aerokiwi

Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:25 pm

Dahlgardo wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

Just because you can or have the right to do something, doesn't mean you should do it.
Courtesy is not something you are obliged to show, but it can often make a positive difference for people, and basically make the world a nicer place.
I stand by the example with the car, where it is natural courtesy for most not squeeze friends or family in the backseat for your own comfort.
Y is now so cramped it should be clear to everyone, that reclining your seat often will have a significant negative impact on the person sitting behind you.
Show some courtesy, and at least ask before you recline. I very rarely recline on shorthaul flights. Longhaul is different since most people need some rest at some point.

This dicussion reminds me why I decided to buy a house and move away from the city.
I was fed up with constant selfish and inconsiderate behavior from people around me. Loud music late evening and night, trash everywhere and so on.

Yet violence is perfectly reasonably if you are even slightly, and inconsequential, inconvenienced? Oh ok cool. Sounds super fun in your countryside retreat.

Of course, it's not. You wouldn't let your child behave that way. But this over entitled dude does exactly that. And of course would this guy have behaved so abhorrently had it been a man in the seat in front? No. Of course not.

People's personal annoyance at seat recline is overriding the obvious and sensible assessment of the male passenger being in the wrong here. Courtesy is subjective. Violence is not.

aerokiwi

Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:27 pm

FGITD wrote:
What's baffling is that if you look through various threads on this site, the window seat is the sanctimonious owner of the window shade. Trying to sleep in your middle seat? Tough, enjoy the sunrise in your eyes. Entire cabin sitting in darkness? Too bad, 22A wants to see what Iowa looks like. And as their God-given right, no one can tell them what to do with the shade, regardless of how it impacts them.

But you want to use the recline feature of your seat? Absolute monster.

I'll gently recline and try to limit use (really that 2 inches doesn't do much anyway) but I'll still use it. Because I paid for it. Should people in business class not use their seat features in solidarity with the people in economy who don't have the option? They paid more for them? Well...so did I. Be it $1 or $1000.

Ha! Excellent point. The entitlement culture is strong on Anet.

mjoelnir

Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:37 pm

Dahlgardo wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

Yes and is full of courtesy when somebody reclines in front of you to punch that seat back or move it forcefully back and forth to annoy the person reclining.

Do you enforce courtesy with aggressive behavior and force, when you assume a person is not providing enough courtesy to you?

reltney

Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:56 pm

PerVG wrote:
In the times of ever receding seat pitch, reclining seats are stupid to begin with.
There should be made a rule that you can only recline your seat at night (sleep) time (as defined per the time zone of the departure place), or at any time if, and only, there is no one in the seat behind.
f

No way. F..orget that. That is silly beyond measure!!!!! I sleep when I sleep not when a time zone dictates....it’s not prison...tell that to a night freight pilot commuting home who just flew all night delivering your amazon package......sorry, you cannot sleep as it’s day time... think before you type...

But there are good thing said in the other responses in this thread...I from now on will look behind me and give courtsy by at least checking before I recline and if there is doubt, inform(not ask) as say I ammreclining my seat.

Cheers
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

bennett123

Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:18 pm

Sounds good to me.

PerVG

Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:55 pm

reltney wrote:
I sleep when I sleep not when a time zone dictates...

You could still sleep whenever you want. Just not reclined (in "daytime")... People have been doing it for decades in trains and buses.
But I will even amend my proposal by conceding that one should be able to recline at anytime by asking (not telling) the person behind and receiving consent. :)

mjoelnir

Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:09 pm

PerVG wrote:
reltney wrote:
I sleep when I sleep not when a time zone dictates...

You could still sleep whenever you want. Just not reclined (in "daytime")... People have been doing it for decades in trains and buses.
But I will even amend my proposal by conceding that one should be able to recline at anytime by asking (not telling) the person behind and receiving consent. :)

There are trains with reclining seats and busses with reclining seats.

FTMCPIUS

Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:36 am

Whenever I flew in economy I quickly learned there is no rule against crossing one's legs. When a seatback was 'scrunched' up against my crossed knees, I suddenly became afflicted with RLS. In most cases the seatback went back to the upright or halfway position which caused my RLS malady to cease. In the few instances where a FA was summoned (by the passenger in front of me), the situation always concluded as a compromise (halfway), which is all I wanted in the first place. More subtle than a 'punch' and always effective.

dtw2hyd

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:06 am

PerVG wrote:

Nope, unless there is an announcement to keep seat back in upright position, your seat, your wish.

Couple of days back I faced similar situation in a parking lot. There was one spot between two automobiles and the driver to the left did a great parking job by occupying the spot to the right. I could be a dick and park my vehicle so the driver to my right cant even get in. I didn't do that, kept barely enough space so I can get out and the other driver also can get in.

There is no need to pass on your own misery to others.
All posts are just opinions.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos