Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Djarin
Topic Author

Passenger repeatedly punches back of reclined seat

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:49 pm

I’m not sure if this has been posted yet, but I found this video on a Twitter. A (male) passenger delivers a series of incessant light jabs at the back of a seat of a reclined (female) passenger. His seat does not recline. Maybe it’s just trolling for both-sides replies, but the news station posting the video asks who’s right and who’s wrong: https://twitter.com/marinamarraco/status/1227709791172206593?s=21

Me, I would have alerted the FA immediately. I don’t see how he makes it too far after the flight lands.

cedarjet

Re: Passenger repeatedly punches back of reclined seat

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:00 pm

Psychopath. And he wouldn’t do it if it was a guy in that seat, wouldn’t dare.

Aptivaboy

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:45 pm

What's worse is that in some media accounts, it states that the passenger having her seat punched was issued a warning by the FA. I've seen different versions of this story, all slightly different, but several had that warning report in them. Um, if true shouldn't the jerk behind have been the one issued the behavior warning? I tend to believe the pax in cases like these because the airline hasn't denied it.

I agree that I hate it when the person in front of me reclines his seat. However, if the seat reclines and the airlines has spec'd the plane this way, then its clearly allowed. The guy in back should be ashamed of himself for acting so childishly.

Boeingphan

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:46 pm

I don't know i can't hardly blame the guy. The airlines should eliminate all recline option in economy period. They were the one's who shrunk down seat pitch to 30'' and for that poor bastard in the last row with no chance of reclining that'd tick me off as well. i realize he could have paid $11 to upgrade but it is what it is. He's stuck in the back row by everyone using the bathroom and she has the audacity to recline. Eliminate the reclining feature on economy across the board and this problem is solved.

Kno

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:02 pm

Boeingphan wrote:
I don't know i can't hardly blame the guy. The airlines should eliminate all recline option in economy period. They were the one's who shrunk down seat pitch to 30'' and for that poor bastard in the last row with no chance of reclining that'd tick me off as well. i realize he could have paid $11 to upgrade but it is what it is. He's stuck in the back row by everyone using the bathroom and she has the audacity to recline. Eliminate the reclining feature on economy across the board and this problem is solved.

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? Nobody is forcing anything upon this guy - there are plenty of options for buying more space and ways to get a better seat on virtually every flight.

And you want to remedy the situation by making economy even less comfortable than it is now?

The seats recline, we all know they do, they barely do, why make the whole plane uncomfortable because 1 or 2 people who don’t want to pay for more leg room are cry babies about it.

MO11

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:07 pm

He needs to buy one of these:

http://www.gadgetduck.com/goods/kneedefender.html

At $22, it's cheaper than a premium seat upgrade.

KlimaBXsst

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:11 pm

The dude punching is nothing but a

P R I C K !

Grow up you passive aggressive NUT. I feel for the lady. She chose a seat that reclined... he chose to be cheap.

KlimaBXsst

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:13 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
The dude punching is nothing but a

P R I C K !

Grow up you passive aggressive NUT. I feel for the lady. She chose a seat that reclined... he chose to be cheap.

Additionally maybe his company or accounts need to send him to ANGER MANAGEMENT.

gatibosgru

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:17 pm

Boeingphan wrote:

You can't blame the guy for punching someone's seat for using a feature that is provided to them by the airline? How is it the woman's fault that AA decided to allow reclining seats? Childish behavior and aggressive.

BlueberryWheats

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:17 pm

Kno wrote:
Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? Nobody is forcing anything upon this guy - there are plenty of options for buying more space and ways to get a better seat on virtually every flight.

Do you realise how ridiculous you sound? I am 6'5" and heavily built, and I can't afford to fly better than economy. (When I flew LGW-MCO on VS I had to pay a not unsubstantial fee just to upgrade the three of us travelling to economy seats with about 2 more inches of leg room, which was a lifesaver for a flight that long)

Why should taller people have to pay through the nose just to not be in pain? My knees already dig into the seat in front in standard economy seats, if that person decides to recline I lose my kneecaps.

flyingturtle

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:21 pm

I see nothing wrong... :cry2:

gatibosgru

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:22 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Kno wrote:

Do you realise how ridiculous you sound? I am 6'5" and heavily built, and I can't afford to fly better than economy. (When I flew LGW-MCO on VS I had to pay a not unsubstantial fee just to upgrade the three of us travelling to economy seats with about 2 more inches of leg room, which was a lifesaver for a flight that long)

Why should taller people have to pay through the nose just to not be in pain? My knees already dig into the seat in front in standard economy seats, if that person decides to recline I lose my kneecaps.

How about he (or you) takes it up with the airline rather than act in an aggressive manner towards another passenger that is only using the seat feature? It sounds harsh but that's a personal problem and while I feel for you, not a fellow passenger's fault that the pitch is tiny. I'm all for empathy, if this happened to me and someone approached me about how they're in pain I'd gladly not recline, but that's a courtesy and not my responsibility.

LabQuest

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:24 pm

If my seat reclines its going all the way back the second I sit down.

donindc

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:26 pm

It's hard for me to choose a side here. On one hand, the guy is an aggressive bully for punching her seat. On the other hand, MSY-CLT is just under 2 hours flight time. Would it have killed her to show a little courtesy and not make him ride smashed in his seat? I know she's 'entitled' to recline, but it's a matter of common courtesy.

Antarius

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:29 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Kno wrote:

On average, us tall people earn more. Such is life, you win some , you lose some. It sure helps being tall in lots of other aspects.

By your logic, a petite 5 foot 1 lady should be complaining she's paying for your "6'5" and heavily built" in terms of excess weight.

WayexTDI

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:32 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:
What's worse is that in some media accounts, it states that the passenger having her seat punched was issued a warning by the FA. I've seen different versions of this story, all slightly different, but several had that warning report in them. Um, if true shouldn't the jerk behind have been the one issued the behavior warning? I tend to believe the pax in cases like these because the airline hasn't denied it.

I agree that I hate it when the person in front of me reclines his seat. However, if the seat reclines and the airlines has spec'd the plane this way, then its clearly allowed. The guy in back should be ashamed of himself for acting so childishly.

If she really was issued a warning by the FA, it's time for her to go full steam on social media against the airline... This is ridiculous.

MrBretz

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:34 pm

I always pay for premium economy to avoid this stuff.

StTim

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:36 pm

I have some sympathy with the guy. As someone who is over six foot (1.86m) there is nothing worse than the person in front in economy reclining. Then very often they then sit upright not against the reclined seat. It is just rude.

KlimaBXsst

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:36 pm

LabQuest wrote:

Not at meal time I hope? That is what is inconsiderate.

FGITD

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:43 pm

What an outrageous string of support for this guy...

If your seatmate is watching their PTV and the brightness is keeping you up, are you entitled to shake their seat non-stop? If someone is taking too long in the lav, can you keep kicking the door until they exit? If you want the beef, but all that's left is the chicken, can you cry and whine in the galley and start throwing trays around until landing?

2 hours or 2 minutes...it doesn't matter. You paid for a seat that reclines, you get to use the recline.

Kno

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Kno wrote:

We’d all love to have more legroom on our flights, but the reality is flying has gotten cheaper and standards have gotten lower because people have voted with their wallets. If you want to remove seats in favor of leg room you’ll be paying more for your tickets on said airline anyway - I think it makes a lot more sense that airlines offer a variety of options to cater to a variety of budgets and body types and you have the option to pick and choose.

If you can only afford to pay the bottom of the barrel price than you you’ll get the bottom of the barrel product, that’s how it works in nearly every business.

With that said I empathize with your position and if asked politely would be willing to not recline - that’s a courtesy, but it is not my responsibility.

blooc350

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:56 pm

Boeingphan wrote:

its Economy Class. Deal with it. You want space, pay for it. You want an entire row? Work hard and pay for First Class or Business Class.

catiii

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:57 pm

Boeingphan wrote:
The airlines should eliminate all recline option in economy period. They were the one's who shrunk down seat pitch to 30''

Not every airline is that low in pitch so whats the point?

StTim

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:00 pm

LabQuest wrote:

Firstly I hope that you wait until the seat belt sign is off!

Secondly I hope the person in front does the same to you.

Thirdly - do you always have the seat in front of me?

rampbro

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:23 pm

@tall people - if the person in front of you reclines, why don't you just recline too?

Antarius

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:30 pm

rampbro wrote:
@tall people - if the person in front of you reclines, why don't you just recline too?

Or put your legs out under the seat in front. I'm 6'2" with super long legs and recline, while not ideal, isn't the worst thing in the world. What I don't like is that it makes laptop usage much much harder.

I once had someone who would hammer the seat repeatedly for no reason (I wasn't even reclined). After about a half hour and several requests to stop, I timed when he would jab my seat and reclined at the same time. Not sure how bad it hurt, but enough for it to stop.

ricport

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:34 pm

blooc350 wrote:
Boeingphan wrote:

its Economy Class. Deal with it. You want space, pay for it. You want an entire row? Work hard and pay for First Class or Business Class.

I could say the exact, same thing to all you recliners in reverse. It's an airplane; not a Barcalounger. Reclining seats are relics from the days of free hot meals and actual space in Y, and I hope the trend of eliminating reclining seats that some LCCs have started spreads to all carriers.

Nevertheless, I categorically don't support the guy's actions. I understand the frustration, though. And now that this woman has obviously found herself a bottom-feeding attorney, she's now claiming she's lost time from work, needed x-rays, and all of the other dreck bottom-feeding attorneys are known to advise their clients to try and pull, thus negating a lot of the sympathy she originally had. I'm waiting for her to show up to court in a walker, followed by her emotional-support horse.

Elementalism

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:40 pm

Djarin wrote:
I’m not sure if this has been posted yet, but I found this video on a Twitter. A (male) passenger delivers a series of incessant light jabs at the back of a seat of a reclined (female) passenger. His seat does not recline. Maybe it’s just trolling for both-sides replies, but the news station posting the video asks who’s right and who’s wrong: https://twitter.com/marinamarraco/status/1227709791172206593?s=21

Me, I would have alerted the FA immediately. I don’t see how he makes it too far after the flight lands.

That dude definitely cuck. Would never think of doing that to a male passenger. Surprised she didnt complain. Maybe she thought his wussy jabs was just turbulence.

tootallsd

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:42 pm

I'm 6'5" and I have issues with excess use of the recline feature. I have had seat backs rammed into my knees. One flight, particularly bad on leg room, the guy ahead of me was rocking against my kneecap trying to get his seat to recline. I leaned forward and politely said, you're hitting my knee that is why you can't recline. He rang the bell, she came and he told me that I was being rude and he wanted to recline. She told me to move my legs. I said, there are not many options, do you have a saw -- that is the best solution. I didn't move. He didn't recline. I did not resort to punching the seat back.

ltbewr

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:48 pm

We are going to have more of these confrontations as people become more assertive, aggressive and using social medial to let others know of their issues. A few may face criminal charges, dragged off a plane by law enforcement. It may have to mean no more reclining seats, or only very slight range, on most economy seats. I am 5'4' and even for me a seat reclining can make it near impossible for me to pull down the table to hold my drink, eat or write.

ukoverlander

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:55 pm

It's very simple. If the airline provides a seat that reclines a passenger has every right to recline it. That goes for the person seating infront of me, the person sitting behind me and for my own choice as well. Take it up with the airline - not the passenger. They are well within their rights.

bsbisland

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:01 pm

How pathetic and ridiculous are the big tall proud guys whinning about that: "oh I'm tall and built and I suffer with lack of space". Get real problems in life and don't be pathetic. My mom doesn't fly because she has to go though hemodialisis every single day. So what? Never seen her whinning about that. You are not obliged to fly and you can fly business. It's an airlines' ammenity, so accept it. Period.

Pinto

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:05 pm

While I'm not agreeing with his actions, how is no one talking about the lady saying she wants to go to the FBI about this.

whisperjet727

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:06 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:

Issued a warning? Then to have mgmt apologize to the passenger for the behavior of the flight attendant?

whisperjet727

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:07 pm

No pun intended. But there seems to be a lot of discussion emotion and anger about 1.5 inches.

CanadianNorth

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:10 pm

I'm a tall guy, but it is what it is so I deal with it. There is lots of ways to deal with it, 99% of the time you'll be uncomfortable for a couple hours but other than that you'll be fine. It's not necessarily my fault if I don't fit properly, but any reasonable adult will quickly realize it's not the other passengers' fault that I don't fit properly either, so there is absolutely no reason to take it out on them.

As for the video, I skimmed through quick and didn't see anything, so does anyone know if before his ridiculous behavior started did he try asking her nicely?

It's amazing how far you can get if you just use your pleases and thank yous and try asking nicely.

CanadianNorth

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:11 pm

I'm a tall guy, but it is what it is so I deal with it. There is lots of ways to deal with it, 99% of the time you'll be uncomfortable for a couple hours but other than that you'll be fine. I am fully convinced that people out there are purposely looking for things to complain about and/or be offended by.

It's not necessarily my fault if I don't fit properly, but any reasonable adult will quickly realize it's not the other passengers' fault that I don't fit properly either, so there is absolutely no reason to take it out on them.

As for the video, I skimmed through quick and didn't see anything, so does anyone know if before his ridiculous behavior started did he try asking her nicely?

It's amazing how far you can get if you just use your pleases and thank yous and try asking nicely.

kalvado

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:23 pm

Well, if "right to recline" is part of the ticket price - shouldn't non-reclinable seats be sold at explicit discount, as they are missing one of the features?
I actually had to deal with such seat - every time I wasn't the one to choose it as it was automatically assigned; and I paid the same, if not higher price than those in front of me as tickets were booked fairly late.
As I am fairly cheap, so $25 per flight hour in cash or $50 in vouchers would be a good starting offer

Aptivaboy

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:27 pm

He needs to buy one of these:

http://www.gadgetduck.com/goods/kneedefender.html

At $22, it's cheaper than a premium seat upgrade.

US airlines began banning the Knee Defender over the past two years, Their use actually caused a few scuffles so the airlines began actively saying that their use violated their rules. A list of airlines that ban or restrict the Knee Defender can be found here: https://travel.stackexchange.com/questi ... ing-flight

YIMBY

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:31 pm

ukoverlander wrote:
It's very simple. If the airline provides a seat that reclines a passenger has every right to recline it. That goes for the person seating infront of me, the person sitting behind me and for my own choice as well. Take it up with the airline - not the passenger. They are well within their rights.

NO.

You may recline when everybody is asleep, but when they serve food, you keep your seat upright.
Reclining your seat when someone is dining behind is so unpolite that throwing the coffee over that guy is more polite. (If they serve me coffee, it is my right to do what I want - it is my coffee, isn't it?)

mjoelnir

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:41 pm

YIMBY wrote:
ukoverlander wrote:

NO.

You may recline when everybody is asleep, but when they serve food, you keep your seat upright.
Reclining your seat when someone is dining behind is so unpolite that throwing the coffee over that guy is more polite. (If they serve me coffee, it is my right to do what I want - it is my coffee, isn't it?)

Why talk about that? The woman did not recline when he was eating. He went bonkers when she reclined after he was finished eating. He he wants to use his computer, he should pay for a seat with more legroom.

I am really astonished that people defend this freak.

xxcr

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:50 pm

There is a etiquette when flying. When the crew comes around to serve meals and drinks, you should bring the seat up so the person behind you has room to enjoy their food. if everyone is KTFO, well recline all you want.

If you want the person to bring their seats up a little, dont punch the seat....that just makes you a prick!!! just ask them.....damn!

I dont usually recline my seat when i fly, i'll usually recline just a little, but i'll look back to make sure.

KlimaBXsst

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:57 pm

xxcr wrote:
There is a etiquette when flying. When the crew comes around to serve meals and drinks, you should bring the seat up so the person behind you has room to enjoy their food. if everyone is KTFO, well recline all you want.

If you want the person to bring their seats up a little, dont punch the seat....that just makes you a prick!!! just ask them.....damn!

I dont usually recline my seat when i fly, i'll usually recline just a little, but i'll look back to make sure.

If the guy hitting the seat was having such a bad time and NOT such a cheapskate, he could easily have said, sorry to bother you MAM but I will make a deal with you to buy you a glass of wine or two if you could just please raise your seat for the duration of this flight. I am kind of tall as you can see.

She probably would have said, ah no problem, I don’t really drink but appreciate that. Maybe a red would be nice, and unreclines her seat!

xxcr

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:12 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
xxcr wrote:

If the guy hitting the seat was having such a bad time and NOT such a cheapskate, he could easily have said, sorry to bother you MAM but I will make a deal with you to buy you a glass of wine or two if you could just please raise your seat for the duration of this flight. I am kind of tall as you can see.

She probably would have said, ah no problem, I don’t really drink but appreciate that. Maybe a red would be nice, and unreclines her seat!

exactly!! what happened to common sense and courtesy lol.

RDUDDJI

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:23 pm

This is the state of US news outlets. Just write stories on unconfirmed twitter posts.

KlimaBXsst

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:46 pm

Notice he is of the lap top “ME” generation too.

smokeybandit

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:53 pm

I'm tall and I can't stand when someone reclines their seat. But, it's not like people aren't allowed to recline. Not their fault I'm tall but for most flights don't have the need to upgrade my seat.

sprxUSA

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:08 pm

StTim wrote:
LabQuest wrote:

Firstly I hope that you wait until the seat belt sign is off!

Secondly I hope the person in front does the same to you.

Thirdly - do you always have the seat in front of me?

Seat belt sign has nothing to do with seat reclining. Right after takeoff it is the right time to recline.

KlimaBXsst

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:11 pm

Not exactly

bsbisland

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:11 pm

I don't care and I will recline. I paid for my reclining seat. One can either drive, walk or pay for business class if they can't stand someone reclining their seat. I have to deal egoistic narcissistic people in my everyday life and get no compensation for that as well.

The moron who punched back the reclining seat should be banned from flying and be sued.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos