Rossiya747

Re: Passenger repeatedly punches back of reclined seat

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:13 pm

I was once on an Air India flight and the seat in front of me was broken so it reclined nearly to my head.
223 319 320 321 332 333 346 388 734 737 738 739 38M 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 77W 788 789 208 CRJ2 E145 E190 UA DL AA WN AC CM 4O AV 2K FI DY D8 SK LH EI FR U2 IB OS LX BA VS BT PS MS SA SW QR EY HY AI 9W TG SQ MH AK D7 QZ BR NH CA QF MI

wingman

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:21 pm

Install seats with enough built in recline that your head doesn’t fall over when sleeping. It’s the only reason I ever recline, when they’re too upright. Seems like a logical and cost effective way of solving this global crisis.

casinterest

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:24 pm

Better article.
https://www.tmz.com/2020/02/13/american ... ndant-fbi/

If I have recline, I am going to recline. Especially on a long flight. The recline actually helps slide my legs under the seat infron. Usually it isn't an issue, especially on the international flights. The only planes that I have been on that really sucked were AF A320 with 29 inch pitch for a 3+ hour flight.
Where ever you go, there you are.

ACDC8

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:40 pm

Sorry, but where is this alleged "punching", just seeing a whole lot of nudging going on, but no "punching". Doesn't look anything more than what little kids seated behind you do all the time.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

prebennorholm

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:46 pm

bsbisland wrote:
I don't care and I will recline…..

This thread appears here just about every month or two, so we can search a few hundred near carbon copies over the last 15-20 years.

Midgets and tall people will never agree on this subject until the last old airliner with the last old reclining Y class seat has been retired and scrapped.

So what will happen over the next 15-20 years? Maybe nothing. Or maybe things suddenly move very fast because the legacy airlines discover that they actually provide an inferior hard product compared to LCCs with non reclining seats.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

flilot

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:48 pm

If you recline your seat without checking if the person behind you is okay, you're a douchebag. End of story. Doesn't matter if it is "your right", or you "paid for a reclining seat". Doesn't matter if the person behind you has a cheaper ticket than you.

Have courtesy in a public space. Ask if the person behind is okay with it. Check they are not using their table. It costs NOTHING to be courteous at all.

Some people on here were dragged up rather than brought up with civility and respect, and it really shows. Seems to be a majority of people from one particular country, too.

richierich

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:49 pm

MrBretz wrote:
I always pay for premium economy to avoid this stuff.

Great, but how often does this stuff happen? If it happened a lot, we wouldn't be discussing it on airliners.net.
None shall pass!!!!

gatibosgru

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:50 pm

donindc wrote:
It's hard for me to choose a side here. On one hand, the guy is an aggressive bully for punching her seat. On the other hand, MSY-CLT is just under 2 hours flight time. Would it have killed her to show a little courtesy and not make him ride smashed in his seat? I know she's 'entitled' to recline, but it's a matter of common courtesy.

For people who don't travel often, the idea that their seat reclining inconveniences others is somewhat foreign, until it inconveniences you.
@DadCelo

ACDC8

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:55 pm

flilot wrote:
If you recline your seat without checking if the person behind you is okay, you're a douchebag. End of story. Doesn't matter if it is "your right", or you "paid for a reclining seat". Doesn't matter if the person behind you has a cheaper ticket than you.

Have courtesy in a public space. Ask if the person behind is okay with it. Check they are not using their table. It costs NOTHING to be courteous at all.

Some people on here were dragged up rather than brought up with civility and respect, and it really shows. Seems to be a majority of people from one particular country, too.

The folks who say its their right to recline are typically the same ones who whine and complain that you leave your window shade open :lol:

gatibosgru

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:00 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
flilot wrote:

The folks who say its their right to recline are typically the same ones who whine and complain that you leave your window shade open :lol:

I'd say it's the opposite. If my seat reclines and my window opens then I do with it as I please, and you're free to do the same.
@DadCelo

WayexTDI

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:03 pm

flilot wrote:

Eh, no... There is no reason to "ask permission" to the passenger behind you before reclining.
If you want to recline, you do it; slowly so you don't destroy their laptop or tablet, but you don't need to ask permission.
If they don't like it, then they'll take it to the FA.

ACDC8

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:04 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
I'd say it's the opposite. If my seat reclines and my window opens then I do with it as I please, and you're free to do the same.

Yeah, it ain't the opposite.

SimProgrammer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:05 pm

Ridicule me all you like, but I'm going to say it.

This happened to me.

My seat wouldn’t recline, but the selfish [email protected]!*rd passenger in front insisted on reclining all the way.

The fix?

I ordered an inflight snack. When it arrived, I opened my tray table and quietly gestured to the crew to have the passenger seat in front placed in the upright position so I can have my snack.

I get the inflight magazine, fold it double and jam it between the tray table arm and the back of the seat.

The passenger in front cannot recline for the rest of the flight.
Last edited by SimProgrammer on Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drive a bus, an Airbus, easier than a London bus!

WayexTDI

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:06 pm

It would appear she will press charges against the guy for what happened before she started videotaping; and she wants AA to fire the Flight Attendant because she (the FA) demanded she (the pax) delete the video.

Especially if an airline employee is not being videotaped, can they request a passenger delete a video taken in flight? I'm surprised.

alasizon

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:06 pm

This is why I (even as a tall person) prefer the seats that slide forward in a shell instead of reclining into the person behind you. Typically I don't recline my seat since I know how much of a PITA it is. I'm never able to use my full size personal laptop when traveling in Economy if there is someone also in the middle seat and/or if the person in front of me reclines. There are times when I can barely even use my 13" work laptop because of how the seats end up interfacing.

That being said, take it up with the airline, not the person in front of you unless they are being aggressive (i.e. repeatedly slamming the seat back and forth to try and get your knees out of the way).
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

MartijnNL

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:07 pm

LabQuest wrote:
If my seat reclines its going all the way back the second I sit down.

Why would you do that? I hardly ever recline, because I don’t want to inconvenience the passengers sitting behind me. And because a few centimeters more hardly makes a difference. Last week I travelled from Frankfurt to Toronto in economy class. It was an eight hour flight, but I didn’t recline for one minute.

ParkFSI

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:07 pm

That’s not punching, looks more like a neck message and she enjoyed it.

Antarius

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:10 pm

SimProgrammer wrote:

This happened to me.

My seat wouldn’t recline, but the selfish [email protected]!*rd passenger in front insisted on reclining all the way.

The fix?

I ordered an inflight snack. When it arrived, I opened my tray table and quietly gestured to the crew to have the passenger seat in front placed in the upright position so I can have my snack.

I get the inflight magazine, fold it double and jam it between the tray table arm and the back of the seat.

Not going to ridicule, but just note that you're an ass.

Next time, find a seat that reclines? Take ownership for your own decisions before foisting them on others.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN LAS SJC OAK DEN TXL GDL

StTim

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:13 pm

There appear to be many here who are of the opinion I will do what I want and f*** what impact that has on anyone else.

I said way upstream I had sympathies with the guy. I would not take the action he did.

Even when the person in front reclines into my space I have the courtesy not to do the same to the person behind without checking they are ok. Just the way I was brought up to recognise the impact of my actions on others.

rampbro

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:14 pm

flilot wrote:
If you recline your seat without checking if the person behind you is okay, you're a douchebag.

Douchebag here. Do I need to ask your permission to turn on my reading light too?

SimProgrammer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:23 pm

Antarius wrote:

Next time, find a seat that reclines? Take ownership for your own decisions before foisting them on others.

Ass here

The flight wasn’t a US domestic flight where you can change seat..

Long haul flights allocate seats and its full.

Otherwise I would have moved seats.
Drive a bus, an Airbus, easier than a London bus!

Nick614

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:31 pm

Both are wrong, IMO, and so is the airline.

Antarius

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:31 pm

SimProgrammer wrote:
Antarius wrote:

Ass here

The flight wasn’t a US domestic flight where you can change seat..

Long haul flights allocate seats and its full.

Otherwise I would have moved seats.

All of this can be sorted by selecting a seat in advance.

But hey, let's blame it on the passenger in front of you. Did you take their meal too since you felt entitled to it?
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN LAS SJC OAK DEN TXL GDL

Antarius

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:34 pm

Nick614 wrote:
Both are wrong, IMO, and so is the airline.

Disagree. There's only only party wrong here and it's the guy.

I'm a vegetarian. If the person next to me has meat that I don't like the smell off, can I proceed to bump/hit them for the flight ? You know, why did the airline serve it? I'm also tall, can I just put my legs in the next persons seat? You know, since the airline seats are too narrow.

We can't live catering to the lowest common denominator of selfishness.

hoons90

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:42 pm

flilot wrote:

While I would certainly appreciate it as a nice gesture if someone in front of me asked before reclining their seat, I would never expect it from them, nor hold it against that person for using a feature that is provided by the airline.

Where do you draw the line? If you're sitting at a window seat in F or J (recliner), and the passenger in front of you reclines the seat and limits your aisle access, should they be shamed for reclining their seat? Should they be pressured to sit upright?
Last edited by hoons90 on Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

Nick614

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:43 pm

I'm a vegetarian. If the person next to me has meat that I don't like the smell off, can I proceed to bump/hit them for the flight ?

No

I'm also tall, can I just put my legs in the next persons seat?

No

You know, since the airline seats are too narrow.

Yes, they are and the airlines should expect things like this to happen. That's why the airline shares some blame, the seat should only recline if the seat behind them can recline, its not hard to do, emergency exit row seats dont recline.

When you are in public you should generally be considerate of other people around you, that includes not doing something, even if you are allowed to, if it is making someone else uncomfortable. This doesn't mean be uncomfortable instead, but if you are a small person and a large person is sitting behind you, it is the polite thing to do to not recline your seat.

It is called common courtesy, although maybe it isn't common anymore.

LabQuest

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:53 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
LabQuest wrote:
If my seat reclines its going all the way back the second I sit down.

Why would you do that? I hardly ever recline, because I don’t want to inconvenience the passengers sitting behind me. And because a few centimeters more hardly makes a difference. Last week I travelled from Frankfurt to Toronto in economy class. It was an eight hour flight, but I didn’t recline for one minute.

I find it easier to relax and sleep with a recline. If someone was having a difficult time behind me and asked politely I'd not recline.

washingtonflyer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:16 pm

If seats were not meant to recline, they wouldn't have those little quarter sized buttons that allowed the seat to recline. Where a seat doesn't recline, it doesn't recline (i.e., the first row of a two row exit row pair and the row in front of the exit row.

Other than that, if your seat can recline, you're allowed to use it. What next, you need permission to turn on your overhead light? You need consent of the other two passengers to open the window shade if you're in the window seat?

If you really, really, really must have 1.5 to 2.0 inches of addition space -guaranteed- most airlines offer that option for a small fee.

timesnaps

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:21 pm

donindc wrote:
It's hard for me to choose a side here. On one hand, the guy is an aggressive bully for punching her seat. On the other hand, MSY-CLT is just under 2 hours flight time. Would it have killed her to show a little courtesy and not make him ride smashed in his seat? I know she's 'entitled' to recline, but it's a matter of common courtesy.

Finally someone talking sensible...! AGREED!

stl07

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:24 pm

LOL, A guy punches a women's seat because she reclined (gasp!), yet somehow, he is in the clear according to some posters. If he didn't like cramped seats, he should have flown a more expensive airline or paid to pick his seat. But of course, neither he nor his sympathizers would ever consider that.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

ferren

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:27 pm

this thread is very funny :-) it looks that majority of people here are no able to solve this “problem” by the basic human skill - communication.
it looks that discussing it on web forum by keyboard is much simpler for them. but everyone knows exactly everything about their rights, both sides...

rbavfan

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:28 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:
What's worse is that in some media accounts, it states that the passenger having her seat punched was issued a warning by the FA. I've seen different versions of this story, all slightly different, but several had that warning report in them. Um, if true shouldn't the jerk behind have been the one issued the behavior warning? I tend to believe the pax in cases like these because the airline hasn't denied it.

I agree that I hate it when the person in front of me reclines his seat. However, if the seat reclines and the airlines has spec'd the plane this way, then its clearly allowed. The guy in back should be ashamed of himself for acting so childishly.

If the flight was still on the ground and she was reclined she would receive a warning. That said. If I pay for a seat that reclines I have a right to recline in it. Have a problem with that then buy a seat in Economy + cabin.

airzona11

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:28 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
YIMBY wrote:
ukoverlander wrote:
It's very simple. If the airline provides a seat that reclines a passenger has every right to recline it. That goes for the person seating infront of me, the person sitting behind me and for my own choice as well. Take it up with the airline - not the passenger. They are well within their rights.

NO.

You may recline when everybody is asleep, but when they serve food, you keep your seat upright.
Reclining your seat when someone is dining behind is so unpolite that throwing the coffee over that guy is more polite. (If they serve me coffee, it is my right to do what I want - it is my coffee, isn't it?)

Why talk about that? The woman did not recline when he was eating. He went bonkers when she reclined after he was finished eating. He he wants to use his computer, he should pay for a seat with more legroom.

I am really astonished that people defend this freak.

Or should the airline not have a tray table in this seat? It’s awfully misleading if that seat has a seat pocket magazine talking about inflight WiFi or entertainment on personal devices that can’t be used. This to me is only a logical end game as planes get tighter. Yeah it’s crazy but anyone who travels often has been there. Maybe airlines should discount those seats? Harming a person is never the answer but the expressed frustrating is resonates with many.

airzona11

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:29 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
YIMBY wrote:
ukoverlander wrote:
It's very simple. If the airline provides a seat that reclines a passenger has every right to recline it. That goes for the person seating infront of me, the person sitting behind me and for my own choice as well. Take it up with the airline - not the passenger. They are well within their rights.

NO.

You may recline when everybody is asleep, but when they serve food, you keep your seat upright.
Reclining your seat when someone is dining behind is so unpolite that throwing the coffee over that guy is more polite. (If they serve me coffee, it is my right to do what I want - it is my coffee, isn't it?)

Why talk about that? The woman did not recline when he was eating. He went bonkers when she reclined after he was finished eating. He he wants to use his computer, he should pay for a seat with more legroom.

I am really astonished that people defend this freak.

Or should the airline not have a tray table in this seat? It’s awfully misleading if that seat has a seat pocket magazine talking about inflight WiFi or entertainment on personal devices that can’t be used. This to me is only a logical end game as planes get tighter. Yeah it’s crazy but anyone who travels often has been there. Maybe airlines should discount those seats? Harming a person is never the answer but the expressed frustrating is resonates with many.

airzona11

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:32 pm

Duplicate

airzona11

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:35 pm

stl07 wrote:
LOL, A guy punches a women's seat because she reclined (gasp!), yet somehow, he is in the clear according to some posters. If he didn't like cramped seats, he should have flown a more expensive airline or paid to pick his seat. But of course, neither he nor his sympathizers would ever consider that.

Where on the airlines website did it describe the seat he chose as being this cramped? How do you know he didn’t purchase a full refundable expensive fare?

DLHAM

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:40 pm

This is one reason why I love to fly on Ryanair. On flights up to like 3 or 4 hours I dont need recline. And the best part is: nobody will recline his seat into your face.
My Instagram Account: Instagram

DenverTed

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:58 pm

Do the airlines have written policy about this, or do they just enjoy the ambiguous conflict on their aircraft?
Funny how the flight attendant knew the policy on photography, but not sit recline, hello.

CPHGuard

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:01 am

I'm 6'7 and if I'm in an economy seat, the person in front of me cannot recline, without hitting my knees.

On my 200-ish flights I've only experienced problems with reclining passengers in front of me a couple of times, and every time I've been polite, asking if they would mind not reclining their seats, due to hurting my knees.
Every time the other passenger have been kind and not reclined their seat.

If some day I should get into a situation where the passenger in front of me refused, I would simply contact the FA's and ask for their help, since I cannot sit in my seat.

But at the end of the day, you get a long way when you ask nicely, and that come for most situations in life.

stl07

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:24 am

airzona11 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Where on the airlines website did it describe the seat he chose as being this cramped? How do you know he didn’t purchase a full refundable expensive fare?

You didn't watch the video obviously. He was sitting at the very last seat by the back wall, which doens't recline. A higher fare would not be placed there as extra legroom is located in the front and middle. Nice try. Keep punching women
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

DenverTed

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:28 am

CPHGuard wrote:
I'm 6'7 and if I'm in an economy seat, the person in front of me cannot recline, without hitting my knees.

On my 200-ish flights I've only experienced problems with reclining passengers in front of me a couple of times, and every time I've been polite, asking if they would mind not reclining their seats, due to hurting my knees.

If some day I should get into a situation where the passenger in front of me refused, I would simply contact the FA's and ask for their help, since I cannot sit in my seat.

But at the end of the day, you get a long way when you ask nicely, and that come for most situations in life.

If you are 7'-0" and buy a 28" pitch seat, should the airline allow that or require an upgrade, as they do with passengers who are too wide for the seat?

DenverTed

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:32 am

The airlines should be required to add two inches of pitch in the non reclining seats, typically those right in front of the forward window exit and the back row. And a statement, your trapezoidial prismatic personal space becomes more angled as the aircraft reaches 10,000 ft.

CPHGuard

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:58 am

DenverTed wrote:
CPHGuard wrote:

If you are 7'-0" and buy a 28" pitch seat, should the airline allow that or require an upgrade, as they do with passengers who are too wide for the seat?

Should the airlines charge extra for handicapped people in a wheel chair?
I did not choose my height or physical appearance, so should I be punished for being born this way?

As I wrote in my original post, I believe asking nicely will bring you a long way in life.

twicearound

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:21 am

MO11 wrote:
He needs to buy one of these:

http://www.gadgetduck.com/goods/kneedefender.html

At $22, it's cheaper than a premium seat upgrade.

Except those are prohibited by all the major airlines, using one will result in a different conversation with the crew.

gatibosgru

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:46 am

SimProgrammer wrote:

This happened to me.

How dare that person not know your seat wouldn't recline :mad:
@DadCelo

prebennorholm

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:55 am

DLHAM wrote:
This is one reason why I love to fly on Ryanair. On flights up to like 3 or 4 hours I dont need recline. And the best part is: nobody will recline his seat into your face.

Time will solve the problem. It is only a question, how long time?

Ryanair was maybe a pioneer, but isn't alone. For instance easyJet and Norwegian have also come a long way. And now also at least new British Airways A320 planes will also have non-reclining Y class seats.

Those of us who are 6 feet +, those of us who have to work when we are at work, let's unite and vote with our wallet. Let the most old-fashioned airlines fly the sleepy midgets to holiday places. We, on the other hand, whenever possible, put our money where we don't suddenly risk slams against our knees and laptop.

The airline market has changed over the years. Some airline companies haven't really discovered yet that they don't fly around with Connies and DC-7s with 40in seat pitch any longer. The sooner they adjust to present day reality, the better. Let's use every opportunity to help them to identify the correct century they are living in.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

airzona11

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:19 am

stl07 wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

You didn't watch the video obviously. He was sitting at the very last seat by the back wall, which doens't recline. A higher fare would not be placed there as extra legroom is located in the front and middle. Nice try. Keep punching women

Keeping this about aviation, last row seats don’t always not recline, last row seats are not sold any different than other seats, if no extra leg room seats are available, I guess you would say “take another flight.” My point being, airlines can only shrink so much until this becomes more and more common.

fedex1

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:31 am

FGITD wrote:
What an outrageous string of support for this guy...

If your seatmate is watching their PTV and the brightness is keeping you up, are you entitled to shake their seat non-stop? If someone is taking too long in the lav, can you keep kicking the door until they exit? If you want the beef, but all that's left is the chicken, can you cry and whine in the galley and start throwing trays around until landing?

2 hours or 2 minutes...it doesn't matter. You paid for a seat that reclines, you get to use the recline.

We found the WINNER!!!! I couldn’t have said that any better!? America, we are all about ME, ME, and more ME! Get a life! Pay for the damn upgrade!! I want the brand new 2020 FX4 F-250 diesel.... some one buy it for me NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God save the Queen

dtw2hyd

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:46 am

SimProgrammer wrote:

This happened to me.

The fix?

Excellent. I hope the same is reciprocated to you some day.

Just because your seat wouldn't recline, you don't need to ruin some others.

It is not the co-passengers fault. It is airline's fault. Move if possible or get a free meal voucher for your inconvenience.

klkla

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:50 am

I really hate it when someone leans their seat back when pitch is so tight... but that's how it is. He does not have the right to harass her in that manner. IMO the guy should be banned from flying on that airline.

And that's not to say that passengers in his position don't have recourse, either. I keep my knees directly in front of my body in these situations and if the person want to lean back into them that is their choice but my knees are not moving. My knees have just as much of a right to be in front of my body as they have the right to recline.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos