Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

estorilm
Topic Author

IAD - ASCOT 6368 emergency landing a few minutes ago?

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:13 pm

Not sure what happened, I work under the IAD 19R approach and just heard something LOUD fly over - couldn't run outside in time, but I've worked here for over a decade and it was very unusual. Tuned into tower frequency for that runway and there was indeed an emergency aircraft "ASCOT 6368" (Air Support Command Operational Transport) being told to vacate when able and go to idle power for inspection, ground asking what's onboard if able to disclose. :?

Anyone have an idea on type of aircraft and type of emergency? Sounded like it was possibly a C-17 or something - MAYBE a C5 but I'm in denial if that's the case.

EDIT: apparently no one really knows what ASCOT stands for, but I figured Air Support Command Operational Transport from what I had read... possibly incorrect.

Cubsrule

Re: IAD - ASCOT 6368 emergency landing a few minutes ago?

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:22 pm

It's a British aicraft - call sign was RRR6368. It flew BZZ-DOV yesterday and it looks like it was headed west when it diverted to IAD over western Maryland. I can't tell you type beyond that it's something the the legs for a (relatively short) TATL Flight. But that may narrow things down to the C-17 because I don't think the RAF operates any other transport aicraft with that range.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

estorilm
Topic Author

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:33 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
It's a British aicraft - call sign was RRR6368. It flew BZZ-DOV yesterday and it looks like it was headed west when it diverted to IAD over western Maryland. I can't tell you type beyond that it's something the the legs for a (relatively short) TATL Flight. But that may narrow things down to the C-17 because I don't think the RAF operates any other transport aicraft with that range.

Awesome, thanks! I called airport ops and was transferred 3 times (highly unusual) even though the first guy said it was a C-17, he was immediately cut off and put me on hold - last guy simply said - "hm, not sure, we have a ton of diversions right now". I guess I shouldn't inquire about military aircraft lol!

AWACSooner

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:43 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
But that may narrow things down to the C-17 because I don't think the RAF operates any other transport aicraft with that range.

A330MRTT

estorilm
Topic Author

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:54 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
But that may narrow things down to the C-17 because I don't think the RAF operates any other transport aicraft with that range.

A330MRTT

Is that considered a transport?

TripleDelta
Screener

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:24 pm

estorilm wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:
A330MRTT

It's in its name. Multi Role Tanker Transport
Hawkeye: "It doesn't make any sense."
Radar: "Well, none of it makes any sense. You just have to send in the right number of forms." - MASH 4077

RolandRat

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:45 pm

RRR6368 was Boeing C-17A ZZ178

Cheers

Adrian

estorilm
Topic Author

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:51 pm

TripleDelta wrote:
estorilm wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:
A330MRTT

It's in its name. Multi Role Tanker Transport

I'm aware. :roll: I'm saying on paper, is it considered a transport type, as the globemaster is.

The name also says "tactical" however, I doubt it's going to be doing the things a C17 does lol (reverse thrust in flight, etc).

boacvc10

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:58 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

A330MRTT

https://www.radarbox24.com/data/flights/rrr6368

Looks like a C-17 when I did a search with RRR6368 lookup.

BOACVC10
Up, up and Away!

freeze3192

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:16 pm

It was indeed a C17...saw it on about a 4 mile final for 19R. I thought it was weird they were using 19R at that time of day when there isn't much traffic.
"A passenger bets his life that his pilot is a worthy heir to an ancient tradition of excellence and professionalism."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos