Williamsb747
Topic Author

Latam increasing JNB

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:33 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/aviacaobra ... ros/%3famp

Use google translate to convert.

Latam will add two flights a week between GRU-JNB making this a daily route, A359 operating.

This is most likely due to SAA cutting GRU completely. Although I would have thought LA would add more than daily flights as this route was previously flown 12 weekly between the two carriers.

Williams-
B747>A340>A350>B777>MD11>B767>B757>MD88/90>B787>A380>A330>A220>A320>B737.
CPT JNB

myki

Re: Latam increasing JNB

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:57 am

... flown 12 weekly which obviously was loss-making for one carrier. Too many perhaps?

sixfootscream

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:15 am

I am not surprised that Latam increased their flights right away. We really don't need SAA. Other airlines are willing to serve South Africa.

hoons90

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:30 am

From what I remember, until recently GRU was not severely loss making for SA, but just around the breakeven point. Sad to see SA pull out of GRU completely. Several years ago, they even had a second daily frequency on some days of the week.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

jfk777

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:35 pm

Many routes that are looser for SAA are winners for others, Latam has been flying to South Africa for just a few years. IF it was a drain they would gladly give it up and add a flight to Europe or the USA.

evanb

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:35 pm

Williamsb747 wrote:
This is most likely due to SAA cutting GRU completely. Although I would have thought LA would add more than daily flights as this route was previously flown 12 weekly between the two carriers.

Why would they want to replace all the capacity rather than use their now monopoly power of non-stop service to raise prices?

evanb

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:37 pm

hoons90 wrote:
From what I remember, until recently GRU was not severely loss making for SA, but just around the breakeven point. Sad to see SA pull out of GRU completely. Several years ago, they even had a second daily frequency on some days of the week.

About 10 to 15 years ago it was, but that was before LATAM entered non-stop and long before the ME3+ entered GRU in a big way. Up until then SA had the most efficient connections to Asia, but the route has been hemorrhaging money for a while.

hoons90

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:31 am

evanb wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

About 10 to 15 years ago it was, but that was before LATAM entered non-stop and long before the ME3+ entered GRU in a big way. Up until then SA had the most efficient connections to Asia, but the route has been hemorrhaging money for a while.

Interesting. IIRC they used to be a big player in the BOM-GRU market, but of course both are dropped/getting dropped now.

I read a few years ago that PER, FRA and MUC were the only truly profitable long haul routes for SAA. I guess this isn't the case anymore now that MUC is getting dropped.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

evanb

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:01 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Interesting. IIRC they used to be a big player in the BOM-GRU market, but of course both are dropped/getting dropped now.

Indeed, BOM, HKG and connections on SQ to SIN too. However, JNB-BOM yields were horrific (mostly due to strong competition from ET, KQ, EK, QR, EY and TK). As BOM and HKG were dropped it also degraded JNB-GRU further.

hoons90 wrote:
I read a few years ago that PER, FRA and MUC were the only truly profitable long haul routes for SAA. I guess this isn't the case anymore now that MUC is getting dropped.

It's difficult to know. As many poor performing short/medium haul routes have been dropped they've further degraded the operational performance of the long haul network.

dcajet

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:06 pm

The thread title is not totally accurate. All the news piece says is that LATAM plans to take the GRU-JNB-GRU from 5x w to daily in 2020, but there is no set date for it.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

Williamsb747
Topic Author

Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:15 am

dcajet wrote:
The thread title is not totally accurate. All the news piece says is that LATAM plans to take the GRU-JNB-GRU from 5x w to daily in 2020, but there is no set date for it.

It’s accurate in the sense of the route is being increased and there is no date mentioned in the title.

Williams-
B747>A340>A350>B777>MD11>B767>B757>MD88/90>B787>A380>A330>A220>A320>B737.
CPT JNB

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos