Oykie
Topic Author

Delta to looking to be carbon neutral by 2050

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:32 pm

According to aviation week Delta has unveiled a 1 billion dollar program to become carbon neutral by 2050.

https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/ ... on-efforts

Part of getting there will be bio fuels, more efficient planes and buying carbon credit.

I’m wondering if the tree planting initiative that Easyjet does could also work for Delta?

My apologies if there is already a discussion on this topic.
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

adamblang

Re: Delta to looking to be carbon neutral by 2050

Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:18 am

Good on them.
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 77L 77W 788 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

Insertnamehere

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:49 am

Maybe it’s time to require all US airlines above a certain size to become carbon neutral

rph99

Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:42 am

PR trying to get ahead of the incoming flight shaming movement. Keep Greta off their back for a while.

TWA772LR

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:55 am

Pardon my ignorance, but what is carbon neutral?

Also, when I fly UA, I'm offered to by in to their carbon offset scheme. How does me spending extra money on a flight offset carbon emissions? Not trying to make a stand or anything, just legitimately curious.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Oykie
Topic Author

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:21 am

TWA772LR wrote:

Also, when I fly UA, I'm offered to by in to their carbon offset scheme. How does me spending extra money on a flight offset carbon emissions? Not trying to make a stand or anything, just legitimately curious.

I really think that depends on the carbon offset scheme. I would think that if your flight produce a certain amount of CO2, then planting trees equivalent or more it would help reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. For airlines I think this is the only way forward as there is no alternative on the horizon that can fully replace airplanes.

The 1 trillion tree campaign says it can offer to absorb 2/3 of all CO2 emitted since the start of the industrial revolution. 6 countries have the potential to plant half of what is needed. U.S., Canada, Australia, Brasil, China and Russia. If done right Delta and the other U.S. airlines can offer reforestoration in U.S. I’m also certain that if they they help to reforest the U.S. maybe four times the amount of CO2 they produce, they have an opportunity to be increases the amount of biofuels.
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

Philippine747

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:31 am

TWA772LR wrote:

Carbon neutral can mean investing in programs (tree planting, etc.) hat can offset the emissions generated. The total impact of the project should be equal to the airlines' total emissions, hence "carbon neutral." What UA is offering is a chance to fund their projects (whatever they may be) that will offset the carbon emissions of your flight.
Last edited by Philippine747 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE BR

anshabhi

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:31 am

rph99 wrote:
PR trying to get ahead of the incoming flight shaming movement. Keep Greta off their back for a while.

:checkmark: :checkmark:

2050 is too far away lol earth might cease to exist by then.

If DL or any other airline was really serious about this, they would have started investing in alternate modes of transport such as electric HSR

Oykie
Topic Author

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:28 am

anshabhi wrote:
rph99 wrote:

If DL or any other airline was really serious about this, they would have started investing in alternate modes of transport such as electric HSR

In order to become carbon neutral by 2050 a lot need to happen between now and then.

While electric HSR can be part of the solution, it cannot be the only solution. There simply is to much demand for air travel and many of the distances are too great for trains to replace travel fully. We need to find a sustainable way to keep on flying in 2050.

Oykie
Topic Author

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:30 am

Here is a link to the press release by Delta. They want to become the first airline globally to be carbon neutral. Here are some key take aways:

Here is how the company is focusing its efforts to become carbon neutral:
* Carbon reduction: Reducing Delta’s carbon footprint through enterprise-wide efforts to decrease the use of jet fuel and increase efficiency. Areas of focus include an ambitious fleet renewal program, improved flight operations, weight reduction, and increased development and use of sustainable aviation fuels.
* Carbon removal: Investing in innovative projects and technology to remove carbon emissions from the atmosphere that go beyond the airline’s current commitments, and investigating carbon removal opportunities through forestry, wetland restoration, grassland conservation, marine and soil capture, and other negative emissions technologies.
* Stakeholder engagement: Building coalitions with our employees, suppliers, global partners, customers, industry colleagues, investors and other stakeholders to advance carbon reduction and removal goals and maximize our global impact.

Delta’s carbon strategy will account for emissions across its business – both in the air and on the ground. Delta’s investment will create new projects and methods to reduce its carbon footprint, benefit global communities and make it easier for other organizations to explore similar options to address their own carbon footprints – all while minimizing reliance on today’s limited carbon offset markets. To support this strategy, Delta will allocate some of its financial commitment into investment vehicles, including a dedicated fund focused on achieving its carbon neutral ambition.

The Delta Environmental Sustainability Principles will guide the airline’s efforts to advance its path to carbon neutrality and overall sustainability. They are:
* Action – Make progress continually by leveraging the tools of today even as we work to drive progress on a global scale. Embed environmental impact as a consideration in every business decision.
* Innovation – Investigate, enable and advance new projects, innovative technologies and operational efficiencies to substantially reduce and mitigate emissions and our overall environmental footprint.
* Collaboration – Engage with employees, suppliers, global partners, customers, investors and other stakeholders with the understanding that environmental protection must be a shared goal.
* Evolution – Be nimble in evolving and adjusting in response to the latest scientific findings and technological developments.
* Transparency – Continue to publicly report on our goals and progress, aligned with leading disclosure frameworks and standards, and track efforts and achievements through our robust governance structure.

https://news.delta.com/delta-commits-1- ... e-globally

tjwgrr

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:43 am

TWA772LR wrote:

Buying carbon offsets.... who gets the money? “Carbon neutral”- what a bunch of hooey feel good nonsense.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

Oykie
Topic Author

Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:13 pm

tjwgrr wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Buying carbon offsets.... who gets the money? “Carbon neutral”- what a bunch of hooey feel good nonsense.

This is what needs to be addressed. Delta needs to show how the money actually goes to projects that plant trees conserve grassland and reduce carbon emission. If not then it is as you writes - only a feel good nonsense. But if they can show results that would not have happened without, it will be good for the environment and all of us.

moa999

Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:37 pm

'looking to be' says it all - means nothing.
They might be carbon credits, they might buy trees, they might shut down.

cathay747

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:39 pm

Oykie wrote:
tjwgrr wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

This is what needs to be addressed. Delta needs to show how the money actually goes to projects that plant trees conserve grassland and reduce carbon emission. If not then it is as you writes - only a feel good nonsense. But if they can show results that would not have happened without, it will be good for the environment and all of us.

Yeah, I agree. Airlines need to FULLY DETAIL what they're using that money for to "offset carbon emissions"...TOTAL TRANSPARENCY...otherwise it just looks like another "money-grab" by airlines which already have that image given all their ancillary fees!
Try a Little VC-10derness

MIflyer12

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:44 pm

anshabhi wrote:

U.S. publicly-traded air carriers aren't going to invest in HSR. 'Don't fly - take the train' is not a winning message. You can also note that the fine HSR systems of China, Japan, Germany and France don't actually cover their full costs, let alone earn a profit - they get very heavy operating and/or capital subsidies.

TYWoolman

Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:19 pm

It's a good start. But following where the off-set money is actually going may be difficult. A standard oversight is needed. Perhaps this could be Greta's new project: as oversight commissioner, going beyond the lectures with economical solutions! But hopefully the movement is not too far gone to think that economics is inexplicably the culprit. Actually, it might be the solution!

PHLCVGAMTK

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:37 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

U.S. publicly-traded air carriers aren't going to invest in HSR. 'Don't fly - take the train' is not a winning message. You can also note that the fine HSR systems of China, Japan, Germany and France don't actually cover their full costs, let alone earn a profit - they get very heavy operating and/or capital subsidies.

Every part of this post is wrong. DL already sells itineraries that include an SNCF train with an AF code on it out of CDG, and UA similarly sells itineraries that include Deutsche Bahn with a LH code on it out of FRA. Deepening those commercial ties, and seeking out new ones both here and elsewhere in the world, isn't just a good idea environmentally, but also commercially. Amtrak is buying new trains that will allow it to, among other things, double the frequency on its profitable Acela service between New York and Washington; while all four major airlines in the region also serve that line at high frequency, those are mostly capturing FF loyalty and/or slot-squatting. Very few DL/AA/UA/B6 FFs I've ever spoken to would actually mind accruing their NYC-WAS miles on a train instead of a 717 or an E190, and most of those who do mind are actually connecting.

As for the financial performance of lines abroad, the Tokaido Shinkansen and the LGV Sud-Est have paid off their capital costs out of their operating profits, and are now helping finance the rest of Japan's and France's HSR networks. Germany's ICE trains show an operating profit, and so do those Chinese lines that have finished their five-year ramp-up in passenger adoption (some of the early lines started showing operational profit after two years). Chinese HSR will need extra time to come back financially from nCov 2019, but then again so will Chinese aviation, which has a smaller share of the domestic market.

airzona11

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:41 am

anshabhi wrote:
rph99 wrote:

DL should buy a coal or nat-gas plant to sell electricity for HSR. They dabbled in the refinery. Maybe they need power generation.

gatibosgru

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:41 am

anshabhi wrote:
rph99 wrote:

I get where you're coming from, but earth will most definitely not cease to exist by then. May earth as we know it is a better way to frame it.
@DadCelo

DALMD80

Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:26 pm

I think the MD80 retirement will help... still sad.
SAVE THE MAD DOGS!! Seriously, get a ride on one while you can. They'll be gone by the end of the year.

BravoOne

Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:58 pm

Use to fly a privately owned 767-200ER tha was owned and operated for the benefit of three billionaires. There was a small sign near the inside of the 1L door that told about their tree restoration scheme to offset their carbon footprint. Other than he signage,I never saw or heard any evdence of this program being a reality. For the most part I suspect it was mostly BS but fit made the owners feel better about themselves.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos