Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Delta332
Topic Author

When will Delta add new International routes from ATL

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:00 pm

It seems like JFK and BOS are getting the new routes. ATL has not had any new routes added in a few years, except for frequency adds to AMS, CDG, LHR. Wasn’t ATL offering incentives to airlines for new service to targeted destinations a few years back? I remember seeing that list and certainly DL could make some of them work profitably.

jfk777

Re: When will Delta add new International routes from ATL

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:40 pm

Unless Delta starts flying to New Zealand or Sydney where can they go that is "New" they don't fly to already ? With Delta's route map to Europe, Asia and Latin America there are few places left to fill in.

MIflyer12

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:45 pm

Delta332 wrote:
It seems like JFK and BOS are getting the new routes. ATL has not had any new routes added in a few years, except for frequency adds to AMS, CDG, LHR. Wasn’t ATL offering incentives to airlines for new service to targeted destinations a few years back? I remember seeing that list and certainly DL could make some of them work profitably.

There may be a few northern South America routes that will be viable with LATAM: Manaus, Fortaleza, and Recife come to mind - all of which DL flew previously. They don't need widebodies for those.

Blerg

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:45 pm

Didn't they fly from Athens to Atlanta at some point? Maybe they could try bringing it back?

Delta332
Topic Author

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:51 pm

Yes they did fly to Athens for season. That would be a good seasonal add.

Delta332
Topic Author

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:53 pm

jfk777 wrote:
Unless Delta starts flying to New Zealand or Sydney where can they go that is "New" they don't fly to already ? With Delta's route map to Europe, Asia and Latin America there are few places left to fill in.

There are several. BUD, WAR, VIE, PEK, just to name a few.

Jano

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:58 pm

PRG
The Widget Air Line :)

TTailedTiger

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:02 pm

jfk777 wrote:

Well these would be a start. Surely they could be supported at a hub with 1000 daily departures.

Vienna
Geneva
Hamburg
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Gothenburg
Athens
Istanbul

All could be served with a 767. I know that United flys to Vienna and Geneva. Why in the world can't Delta serve them? Delta forces their passengers to endure a connection in CDG and AMS for more and Europe destinations that they once served nonstop.

Detroit313

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:08 pm

Athens!

MIflyer12

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:08 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Well these would be a start. Surely they could be supported at a hub with 1000 daily departures.

Vienna
Geneva
Hamburg
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Gothenburg
Athens
Istanbul

All could be served with a 767. I know that United flys to Vienna and Geneva. Why in the world can't Delta serve them? Delta forces their passengers to endure a connection in CDG and AMS for more and Europe destinations that they once served nonstop.

It may have escaped your attention that JFK is DL's primary TATL hub, not ATL. If those destinations struggled from JFK (less than daily, seasonal, previously flown now dropped) they are unlikely to be flown from ATL. 339s appear to be the replacement for 763s, as much as anything that's on order for delivery on the next five years, and that's not going to help with thin routes.

ATL-Gothenburg?! My sides hurt from laughing so hard.

Cointrin330

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:14 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Vienna
Geneva
Hamburg
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Gothenburg
Athens
Istanbul

This list is beyond laughable. Gothenburg??? UA doesn't fly to Vienna. It code-shares with OS on those flights. No United metal is used on VIE. Geneva works for UA because of government and NGO contracts and the fact that UA and LX are part of Star Alliance. GVA is served from EWR and IAD, both of which generate traffic for this route, which is switching to a higher density Polaris version of the 763.

Apart from ATH, the rest of the list is essentially a non starter. DL's TATL growth will continue to be focused around JFK and BOS, not ATL for the most part. IST? DL dropped JFK-IST after the airport attack there a few years back). The US-IST market is smothered by TK and served well enough and is through traffic, not so much P2P. Delta would struggle with no feed on the IST end.

TTailedTiger

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:19 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Vienna
Geneva
Hamburg
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Gothenburg
Athens
Istanbul

It may have escaped your attention that JFK is DL's primary TATL hub, not ATL. If those destinations struggled from JFK (less than daily, seasonal, previously flown now dropped) they are unlikely to be flown from ATL. 339s appear to be the replacement for 763s, as much as anything that's on order for delivery on the next five years, and that's not going to help with thin routes.

Well I definitely agree that the A339 is a very bad 763 replacement.ots of routes will be cut because of this. That is too much plane for routes like STR, DUS, PSA, NCE, etc. Not to mention routes like IND-CDG and TPA-AMS.

HNLSLCPDX

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:25 pm

TLV and ATH seasonally are the ones I could see happening if you want to think over the Atlantic. As the LATAM partnership moves along, as mentioned maybe a few more destinations in South America could happen. I would also like to see NBO happen from ATL.

Ziyulu

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:42 pm

They need to add PKX.

pipeafcr

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:48 pm

It would be nice to see MDE being added back to its route network, especially with the new LATAM deal
Felipe Carrillo

BBDFlyer

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:51 pm

Added international flights for Delta would most likely be to JV partner hubs. Added international destinations from other airlines would most likely by JV partners flying to ATL.

hooverman

Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:11 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Vienna
Geneva
Hamburg
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Gothenburg
Athens
Istanbul

Well I definitely agree that the A339 is a very bad 763 replacement.ots of routes will be cut because of this. That is too much plane for routes like STR, DUS, PSA, NCE, etc. Not to mention routes like IND-CDG and TPA-AMS.

They can use the A332 for the thinner routes.

jbs2886

Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:18 pm

hooverman wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Besides GOT, so many things here that are wrong.

STR and DUS get 764s seasonally, so an A339 isn't a stretch
PSA has been dropped, so its not replacing a 763
NCE can likely fill an A339 in the summer, when it is running
IND-CDG sure, but the 763s aren't going away for a while
TPA-AMS same as IND-CDG, but can probably fill an A339...but, you'll probably see shifting down of aircraft (it won't always jump to an A339 from a 763)

BA744PHX

Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:28 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Vienna
Geneva
Hamburg
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Gothenburg
Athens
Istanbul

By your same logic, DL forces passengers to fly via ATL, one of the main reasons why I avoid DL at all cost. The world does not revolve around ATL, there is a reason why JFK & BOS are getting the flights due to local demand and not connecting 80% passengers in ATL for a flight

BA744PHX

Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:30 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Vienna
Geneva
Hamburg
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Gothenburg
Athens
Istanbul

In addition to my previous comment, all cities listed above are Star Alliance hubs, which means ATL-XXX would be O&D only

DLvsWN

Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:38 pm

Mexico: QRO and BJX resumption (whether AM or DL). Whatever the labor issue is, please resolve it because those flights were full and extremely expensive and I'm sick of laying over in IAH/DFW/MEX. Numerous other Mexican markets probably make sense longer term since MEX/MTY/AUS can never be a fully-functioning Mexico-to-US hub.

Caribbean: PAP resumption if things ever settle down, Americans might eventually discover TOB, or a VFR/tourism mix place like POS, POP, etc.

South America: besides secondary Brazil, there aren't many opportunities. Maybe GYE. The vast majority of US-originating demand is to the major population centers already served nonstop.

Europe: LIS, CPH, EDI would all be profitable, but that's not Delta's strategy, and merely profitable isn't good enough for them. Delta feeds thin European destinations via JFK (which connects to big American markets really well). Delta feeds major European destinations from ATL (which connects to small American markets really well). This has been their strategy since the Northwest merger and won't change anytime soon.

Asia: Probably nothing. Any new Asian routes will likely be served by Asian carriers.

Africa: Always possible that something like Accra, Dakar, or Nairobi comes about.

Probably in 10 years the DL network looks pretty similar, but with some more frequencies and bigger planes. Atlanta's selling point is that it connects an unparalleled number of major markets together with a ridiculous amount of frequency and service, much of it Florida-driven. The whole idea is to avoid really weird, thin routes. Most of the new routes will probably not be prestige routes.

SQ001

Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:47 pm

HKG and CAN

ethernal

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:09 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
jfk777 wrote:
By your same logic, DL forces passengers to fly via ATL, one of the main reasons why I avoid DL at all cost. The world does not revolve around ATL, there is a reason why JFK & BOS are getting the flights due to local demand and not connecting 80% passengers in ATL for a flight

I doubt that BOS really has that much local demand for some of the more esoteric locations. JFK, to an extent, if only because it is attached to a large metro with a relatively diverse population. I can guarantee you that a crapton of non-CDG/KLM-bound JFK traffic (and definitely BOS) is connecting when it comes to international traffic (obviously domestic is primarily O&D).

The reason why JFK/BOS are Delta's TATL hubs are because ATL is out of the way for TATL traffic if you're coming from a large portion of the US. Even Florida - ATL's connecting bread and butter - is an average of 300 miles out of the great-circle-way relative to connecting in JFK or BOS. JFK/BOS are just better natural geographic connecting areas - and JFK at least gets enough local demand (even if at garbage yield) that it helps.

Combine that with Delta's JV strategy and ATL won't be seeing any new TATL routes in the near future. It works for Delta, although it certainly sucks for their passengers. I absolutely hate connecting through CDG. KLM is alright but doesn't change the fact that I generally connect onto a plane with a 30" seat pitch. Or, even worse, from a lie-flat to Euro-biz. And Air France doesn't even have that on some of their short haul routes.. I had the nasty realization flying ATL-CDG-NCE last year - enjoyed a refurbed 772 in DeltaOne and ended up crammed into row 20 something with maybe 31" seat pitch on my CDG-NCE flight.

I intentionally avoid Delta internationally if there is another domestic carrier option that flies nonstop from the US - I am Diamond on Delta but made Platinum last year on United pretty much exclusively through ATL-EWR-XYZ TATL flights. Between Delta's crappy D1 seat in their 767s and/or forcing you to connect in KLM/CDG, it makes it easy to pick another carrier.

Two thumbs up for Delta's domestic ops, two thumbs down for their international ops. But it works for them, so won't judge them for it.

Nicknuzzii

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:19 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Vienna
Geneva
Hamburg
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Gothenburg
Athens
Istanbul

I was actually shocked when I found out UA doesn’t fly to Vienna.

TTailedTiger

Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:21 pm

hooverman wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

They only have a handful of them and they aren't exactly young.

Lootess

Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:38 pm

ATL-PEK would be worthwhile, Delta asked for it during the pre-merger days along with PVG. Ever since merging with NW, they were content with DTW-PEK.

ATL-NBO if the government would ever let it happen since Delta asked more than twice for it.

ATL-MAO needs to return, especially with LATAM being a partner. They never could capitalize on GOL and getting to MAO meant backtracking.

There used to be ATL-FOR-REC, but I don't see North Brazil returning at-least from ATL.

ATL-TLV worked for a long time on 777ER

ATL-OGG could work again, but the last time they ever ran this it was 764 before they started to take them out of domestic service.

Delta777Jet

Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:45 pm

I still think Berlin - Atlanta would make sense.
I still miss Trans World Airlines and the L-1011

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:48 pm

ATL is so underserved lol.

Lootess

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:00 pm

Ever since Delta made love with AF-KLM JV, it's become rather pedestrian with international Europe destinations. Northwest-esque if you want to call it that.

Aside from notable routes that make exceptional $$$ like ATL-STR and ATL-JNB.

usdcaguy

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:46 pm

Back in the day, DL did some summer seasonals from ATL to ATH/SVO/PRG and IST. It still does a summer VCE flight. With the exception of ATH and SVO, these were flown with dour-looking 767s and seemed to have a lot of backpackers on them. There was not a lot of true business traffic on these routes, either. I think flying via AMS on KL or FRA on LH are likely the most comfortable options in ATL for those cities, as flying over JFK is a big hassle and can sometimes involve long layovers.

MAH4546

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:59 pm

pipeafcr wrote:
It would be nice to see MDE being added back to its route network, especially with the new LATAM deal

One of the points of the LATAM deal is that markets like MDE can now be effectively served by Delta...from Miami.
a.

flymco753

Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:58 pm

ATL-PEK & KIX would be decent adds and they could transfer NGO from DTW to ATL. DL has been less than daily with NGO at DTW, at least with ATL They can better utilize an aircraft with a daily frequency instead of wasting an aircraft on DTW.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

flymco753

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:01 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I mean in essence, it is. Atlanta can support much more than what is currently offered. AA runs a lot of routes that DL doesn't, Atlanta would be the perfect place for these routes. I have doubts on whether ATL-DBV or ZAG would work, but ATL-WAW, BER, SVO, TIR, & TLV are all decent realms of possibilities.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

FSDan

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:02 pm

I agree with others that we're unlikely to see very many ATL-Europe adds in the short term. The markets that are currently flown are well proven and have been around for a long time. LIS was tried two summers ago and was promptly moved to BOS instead (which I imagine indicates that it was OK at best when served via ATL). Other markets that were flown from ATL in the past (EDI, CPH, PRG, VIE, ATH, IST, SVO) were tried during DL's "dartboard" days when their standards for profitability were much lower. The fact that these markets didn't make the cut in the late 2000s indicates they were probably lower yielding, or even unprofitable. However, of these markets, I could see PRG or ATH getting a second shot (summer seasonal) since they've both heated up with U.S. tourists over the last few years. In the same light, I could see ATL-TLV potentially returning, although there's more competition to TLV than ever, including nonstop service from some key feeder markets like MIA, MCO, DFW, and SFO that didn't exist the last time DL flew ATL-TLV.

It has been a long time since DL has significantly expanded in Africa, although I believe they are adding some more frequency to LOS later this year. I don't know if they would consider a winter-seasonal ATL-CPT service, or if they'd have the right aircraft to serve ATL-NBO nonstop...

Honestly, I don't think ATL needs more flights to Asia. It's very out-of-the-way as a connecting point, and I consider the existing TYO, ICN, and PVG service to constitute solid coverage.

On the Latin American front, I definitely expect we'll see continued expansion. There are plenty of short haul Mexico/Caribbean routes that don't require widebodies and don't tie up aircraft for more than a day which would be low risk to explore. To South America, I could see a return to ATL-MDE or ATL-GYE, but probably not too much more than that in the short term.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

FSDan

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:06 pm

flymco753 wrote:
ATL-PEK & KIX would be decent adds and they could transfer NGO from DTW to ATL. DL has been less than daily with NGO at DTW, at least with ATL They can better utilize an aircraft with a daily frequency instead of wasting an aircraft on DTW.

You realize that DTW is the only U.S. airport besides HNL that has been able to consistently sustain NGO service over the years, and that it's because of strong auto industry ties (Toyota in particular)? Serving any secondary Japanese destination from ATL would make no sense at all. Let's get KIX service to year-round out of SEA first before thinking about whether a much longer and even thinner route to ATL could work, needing to be served with a much larger aircraft...

chepos

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:09 pm

flymco753 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I mean in essence, it is. Atlanta can support much more than what is currently offered. AA runs a lot of routes that DL doesn't, Atlanta would be the perfect place for these routes. I have doubts on whether ATL-DBV or ZAG would work, but ATL-WAW, BER, SVO, TIR, & TLV are all decent realms of possibilities.

ATL-WAW/TIR/SVO????? Seems like a reach. SVO is not coning back on a US carrier anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

AV8AJET

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:24 pm

ATL-KEF, GLA, and EDI on my wish list.
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

Detroit313

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:56 pm

The problem with Delta is that flying to places like Athens from Atlanta on 767 or 330 is very bad from a financial perspective. The flights have to be very weight restricted etc.. That's one of the reasons ATL - ATH did not last.

The reason American is so successful with ORD - ATH is the 787.

Without the 787 and with only so few 777s Delta can't be as adventurous as American and United.

American already has more than 100 787-8, 787-9, 777-200 and 777-300 and the number will increase fast in the next few years.

Dominion301

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:59 pm

jfk777 wrote:

Well DL could easily add more Canada flying to ATL. Bringing back YOW and YHZ on a CR9 or E70/75 would be a good start. Now that YYC is connected via DL partner WS, YOW and YEG must be about the only airports in North America with +5 million pax a year without ATL service.

OlympicATH

Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:10 pm

I think DL adding a third daily to ATH is a matter of time. I'm just thinking it is more likely to be from BOS now.
Now that AA started ORD, BOS is the biggest unserved market from ATH. And I believe it's the same for BOS actually.
ATL would be all about connections, which could work but not sure they have the best equipment for the route.

EBiafore99

Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:44 pm

JFK makes sense as DL is pretty clear that's their European gateway. BOS is mom likely a ramp-up for the B6 expansion.

In terms of ATL (and the other hubs), I think it's just that DL thinks differently. They would rather funnel customers to hubs of its international partners (AF-KL, AM, KE, VS, etc.) than fly direct. AA and UA think opposite. In good times, AA and UA flying directly to secondary markets makes sense, but's it risky. Air travel is cyclical...when the economy goes south, those secondary markets are usually the first to go, leaving widebody aircraft underutilized. DL mitigates that risk by leveraging its partner base.

It must be okay with DL's customer base judging by DL's annual profit.

steex

Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:29 pm

FSDan wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

You realize that DTW is the only U.S. airport besides HNL that has been able to consistently sustain NGO service over the years, and that it's because of strong auto industry ties (Toyota in particular)?

Exactly, Nagoya from anywhere besides Detroit makes no sense at all for DL. In most cases, you'll find that longhaul destinations served by a single flight/route by DL are flown from the closest mature DL hub. Virtually every example that defies this rule tends to be related to a specific business case for the route being flown, and in most cases this owes to some specific business sector. To that end, note that lagging markets for DL such as HKG and KIX saw their last hurrah (or subsequent attempts) at the closest hub in SEA, while NGO has never seen SEA service and no consideration has been given to abandoning a lucrative DTW-NGO business market in favor of a 1500-mile shorter SEA-NGO route.

theasianguy

Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:40 pm

ATL did get some recent long-haul additions. ATL-ICN in 2017 and ATL-PVG in 2018 doubled the number of transpacific flights from 2 to 4 daily.
I doubt ATL will get new transpacific flights anytime soon. It's not an ideal location for connections and the local market isn't that large.

hsuthe19

Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:41 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
The problem with Delta is that flying to places like Athens from Atlanta on 767 or 330 is very bad from a financial perspective. The flights have to be very weight restricted etc.. That's one of the reasons ATL - ATH did not last.

The reason American is so successful with ORD - ATH is the 787.

Without the 787 and with only so few 777s Delta can't be as adventurous as American and United.

American already has more than 100 787-8, 787-9, 777-200 and 777-300 and the number will increase fast in the next few years.

I always had a suspicion that canceling the 787s would come back to bite DL. But in the end they’re managing just fine.

FSDan

Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:58 pm

EBiafore99 wrote:
In terms of ATL (and the other hubs), I think it's just that DL thinks differently. They would rather funnel customers to hubs of its international partners (AF-KL, AM, KE, VS, etc.) than fly direct.

That theme is popular to repeat on this site, but ATL is honestly a poor example of the international strategy you're trying to describe... DUB, MAD, BCN, BRU, DUS, FRA, STR, MUC, ZRH, MXP, and VCE are all spoke European destinations that DL serves from ATL. People that think ATL deserves more European destinations than that on DL are delusional. Anything DL decides to add will be more gravy.

I'd say ATL is also a poor example of DL handing off traffic to AM. They serve MTY, SJD, PVR, GDL, MEX, CUN, and CZM year-round on their own metal, which constitutes the largest operation to Mexico by one of the US3 that isn't located in a bordering state. Not to mention that they serve every major Central American destination nonstop from ATL as well.

AVLAirlineFreq

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:49 pm

I'm a little surprised that DL hasn't tried ATL-KEF or brought back ATL-GLA and ATL-EDI.

WidebodyPTV

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:55 pm

Most likely because DL has added everything it reasonably could from ATL, and there’s low hanging fruit elsewhere. Many of the potential routes listed within this thread have been tried unsuccessfully before. Ultimately, DL’s places more emphasis on serving those third-tier destinations from AMS and CDG, and ATL - as the OP noted - has received additional frequency to those markets.

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

Wow. I was going to say... I never thought I’d see the day where somebody complained about ATL being underserved. Must be nice to be the spoiled.

MSP doesn’t have (DL) service to FRA, yet ATL is underserved because DL hasn’t added service to Kazakhstan.

spinotter

Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:32 am

BA744PHX wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Vienna
Geneva
Hamburg
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Gothenburg
Athens
Istanbul

Delta makes a lot of money because it chooses its battles wisely. You don't believe that DL analysts are looking at every possible route every week? When they once served those third tier destinations nonstop from a US gateway, they made a lot less money. How can you argue with that?

TLG

Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:33 am

Delta777Jet wrote:
I still think Berlin - Atlanta would make sense.

This reply has nothing to do with your post, but I think your signature is making the page wide. I have to scroll sideways.

Oilman

Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:48 am

Delta777Jet needs to put spaces between those slashes in the signature.....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos