Blerg
Topic Author

Aleppo Airport to Reopen

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:53 am

Good morning,

According to the Syrian government, Aleppo airport will re-open after being closed since 2012. This comes after a successful military action by the government in the north-west which saw many villages and hamlets being liberated by the Syrian troops.

Flights will resume on Wednesday (20.02.2020) with the first destination being Damascus. A few days later flights to Cairo should start (or resume?). No mention of the airline though I suppose Aleppo-Cairo will be operated by Cham Wings.

If my memory serves me well, Damascus-Aleppo was operated by Syrian Airlines' ATR. They also used to operate Aleppo-Larnaca before the war.

Source: https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/ ... -victories

cedarjet

Re: Aleppo Airport to Reopen

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:54 am

Quite a few of Syrianair’s flights from Damascus to Europe used to route via Aleppo because although Damascus is the capital and famous throughout history since the conversion of Paul the Apostle, Aleppo is Syria’s biggest city and in some ways its mercantile centre. I flew on a Syrianair A320 from Damascus to Aleppo in 2008 which was heading onwards to Stockholm.

Btw I doubt many of those villages and hamlets were very pleased to be “liberated” and the methods out of a horror movie, although under one rule no matter how brutal is probably better for Syrians who might have a chance to bid the Assad crime family farewell via the ballot box one day. Airports reopening is a good sign of stability.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:58 am

So any predictions of what air service the airport might get in the next five years? Could we see flydubai? Given the tense relationship between Syria and Turkey I guess Pegasus and Turkish Airlines are out of question.

Antarius

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:07 am

Blerg wrote:
So any predictions of what air service the airport might get in the next five years? Could we see flydubai? Given the tense relationship between Syria and Turkey I guess Pegasus and Turkish Airlines are out of question.

Conviasa! This can be their third route after Damascus and EZE
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

Pentaprism

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:22 am

Blerg wrote:

Aeroflot :)

No seriously if things settle down I can imagine within 3 years there may be flights from DAM and/or ALP to BGW, IKA, DXB, DOH, IST, AMM, LCA, LHR, CAI, FRA. CDG, FCO. Plus a few domestic routes.

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:33 am

Pentaprism wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Aeroflot :)

No seriously if things settle down I can imagine within 3 years there may be flights from DAM and/or ALP to BGW, IKA, DXB, DOH, IST, AMM, LCA, LHR, CAI, FRA. CDG, FCO. Plus a few domestic routes.

I think Pobeda (victory in Russian) would be more suitable for Aleppo flights!

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:34 am

Antarius wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Conviasa! This can be their third route after Damascus and EZE

They could operate flights to Tehran via Aleppo,now that would be one Hell of a flight!

speedbird52

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:50 am

Blerg wrote:
Good morning,

According to the Syrian government, Aleppo airport will re-open after being closed since 2012. This comes after a successful military action by the government in the north-west which saw many villages and hamlets being liberated by the Syrian troops.

Flights will resume on Wednesday (20.02.2020) with the first destination being Damascus. A few days later flights to Cairo should start (or resume?). No mention of the airline though I suppose Aleppo-Cairo will be operated by Cham Wings.

If my memory serves me well, Damascus-Aleppo was operated by Syrian Airlines' ATR. They also used to operate Aleppo-Larnaca before the war.

I get that there is no real alternative to Assad here, but the use of the word liberated has been stretched thinner than the hair on my rapidly balding head

peterinlisbon

Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:06 am

It´s a good sign that the airport is reopening. Hopefully the war will be over soon.

MillwallSean

Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:19 am

Its pleasing to see Aleppo airport open for traffic again. Not a day to late and it will help a from war destroyed city recover.
Aleppo had a strong economy before the war (and before al qaeda under its 25 different names decided to bomb the city to pieces) and its inhabitants were staunchly secular and really nice bunch. Not sure I would have been as happy to stop in the hamlets 2 hours drive from Aleppo though, very different people and very different worldviews...

While I for some reason never really liked Damascus and found Beirut and its inhabitants to be way way to cocky for their own good, Aleppo and even more so Syrias coastline was amazing to visit. Luckily I went there quite a bit for business and yes there was a route between Aleppo and Stockholm. Mainly served the Syriacs and Assyrians people that had migrated to Stockholm. When I was a regular on it, the flight was twice weekly. That was perfect since it usually allowed me to both sort the business in Aleppo and then hit the Syrian coast for a few days of amazing beaches, gorgeous ladies that were born to flirt and probably the best food the med had to offer (the beaches north of Latakia are in my view the best in the med).

Back to the topic:
Id assume that well see a route to say Dubai and possibly Riyadh quite soon. With the jihadists (driven away from the western and northern suburbs of Aleppo) being sponsored by Qatar and Turkey these days, routes to their adversaries in the Middle East, UAE and Saudi, seems possible. Probably through chamwings. A route to Beirut on some small player is probably not out of the realm of passibility either. Then some say weekly flights to possibly Kuwait and Bahrain tragetting the OW/VFR and thats about the international demand were likely to see I guess.

The Syrian OW/VFR crowd in UAE and Saudi is large so those routes are likely to be profitable for an airline such as cham wings.
And maybe an operation such as FlyBaghdad wll commence Aleppo?
Thats IF the airport is secured enough.

Anyway, a good week for aviation in this rather destroyed corner of Syria and I really wish them all the best now that no more bombs will fall over the city.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

mxaxai

Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:55 am

MillwallSean wrote:
Id assume that well see a route to say Dubai and possibly Riyadh quite soon. With the jihadists (driven away from the western and northern suburbs of Aleppo) being sponsored by Qatar and Turkey these days, routes to their adversaries in the Middle East, UAE and Saudi, seems possible. Probably through chamwings. A route to Beirut on some small player is probably not out of the realm of passibility either. Then some say weekly flights to possibly Kuwait and Bahrain tragetting the OW/VFR and thats about the international demand were likely to see I guess.

The Syrian OW/VFR crowd in UAE and Saudi is large so those routes are likely to be profitable for an airline such as cham wings.

Typical international credit cards cannot be used in Syria, Syrian Pound cannot be exchanged abroad and the entire finance system is subject to sanctions. It's questionable if the syrian state can guarantee proper safety checks at Aleppo Airport and there are still regular airstrikes on Syrian soil, so no reputable airline will want to fly there until the war is truly over. Syrian Arab Airlines is banned from EU airspace and buying tickets on it consitutes a crime in the EU (and some other countries).

I'd say that international routes are very unlikely, outside of small players that don't need to bother with such issues (like Conviasa or Mahan air). Nevertheless, I wish Aleppo all the best and a speedy recovery.

Cointrin330

Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:20 pm

So who is going to fly there besides Aeroflot? Ryannair?

Toinou

Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:22 pm

mxaxai wrote:
buying tickets on it consitutes a crime in the EU (and some other countries).

Do you have the regulation banning this? I looked at the EU regulation establishing sanctions against Syria and it was not completely clear.

jetsetter629

Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:29 pm

Weren't there more airlines serving Latakia than Aleppo before the war?

TC957

Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:45 pm

What's the state of the passenger terminal there ?

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:21 pm

Anyone know what airlines served both Damascus and Aleppo before the war and with what frequencies?

Nileblue

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:50 pm

Blerg wrote:
Anyone know what airlines served both Damascus and Aleppo before the war and with what frequencies?

EgyptAir operated 14pw CAI-DAM and 5pw CAI-ALP.

mxaxai

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:58 pm

Toinou wrote:
mxaxai wrote:
buying tickets on it consitutes a crime in the EU (and some other countries).

Do you have the regulation banning this? I looked at the EU regulation establishing sanctions against Syria and it was not completely clear.

I assume it's covered as part of 'freezing of funds'.
"Such natural or legal persons, entities and bodies are listed in Annex II and IIa of the Regulation, and include:

natural or legal persons, entities and bodies benefiting from or supporting the regime;
natural or legal persons and entities associated with (i) to (ix)

No funds or economic resources shall be made available to or for the benefit of persons or entities designated by the EU under such restrictive measures."
With Syrian Arab Airlines as a state owned company, thereby supporting the 'regime', EU citizens may not fund it, thus cannot pay for and buy tickets.
See: https://ec.europa.eu/fpi/what-we-do/san ... 93-faqs_en

Melbourne

Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:21 pm

Prior to the war Syrian Air operated services to Athens through Aleppo as DAM-ALP-ATH and return.

xwb777

Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:59 pm

Blerg wrote:

Royal Jordanian. Not sure about the frequency of flights.

cedarjet

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:03 am

I think flights to Ukraine as well, not UAI but one of the Mad Dog outfits who did a lot of bizzo in Iran
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

LH658

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:25 am

That's good! Love to see Syria prosper again.

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:45 am

Thank you all. I did some research online and I see Emirates had a daily flight, Aeroflot twice a week, Royal Jordanian flew to both Damascus and Aleppo, Etihad flew to Damascus, Iraqi Airways, Turkish Airlines... seems like both airports were quite busy.

Hopefully soon enough the situation normalizes once again.

mark1484

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:45 am

YK-SQF, a YAK 40 of Syrian Air landed in Aleppo in preparation to resume flights.

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:09 am

mark1484 wrote:
YK-SQF, a YAK 40 of Syrian Air landed in Aleppo in preparation to resume flights.

Will the YAK also fly to Cairo or only to/from DAM?

mark1484

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:19 am

Blerg wrote:
mark1484 wrote:

Will the YAK also fly to Cairo or only to/from DAM?

Doubtful as I think it is used for government use.

A320 YK-AKF is in the air now from DAM to Aleppo.

musman9853

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:29 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Good morning,

I get that there is no real alternative to Assad here, but the use of the word liberated has been stretched thinner than the hair on my rapidly balding head

Assad's troops liberated civilians from Thier Life
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:30 pm

Pictures and videos from today's first flight:

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20200 ... n-8-years/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos